PDA

View Full Version : How do you come up with a name?

xxbulldogxx
01-13-2010, 05:57 PM
I can never come up with clever names like some people can. Like this painting. I have no idea what to call it. Its a new one and I want to know what you all think of it but I also would like to see what you would name it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jan-2010/174261-IMG_1262_copy.jpg

Eraethil
01-13-2010, 07:23 PM
My preference for naming is to either use something that is related to the inspiration for the piece, or to the feeling that I get from viewing it. I prefer that the name not be an explanation though, so that the viewer can determine their own interpretation of the title.

So some ideas for the piece you have posted based on my own feelings from it (which may be completely out of line with your feelings...):
Infatuation
Do I Dare?
Peckish
Prufrock

Postmoderschisms
01-13-2010, 08:31 PM
some things dont need names. they just need to be experienced.

Gal1952
01-13-2010, 09:21 PM
Let the work talk!!

Gal

Postmoderschisms
01-14-2010, 06:44 AM
^but that might also be an early sign of schizophrenia...

"the paintings...they're talking to me!! ahhh shut up mona lisa, stop mocking me!" haha id love to see that.

RandyC
01-14-2010, 10:11 AM
Usually as I work on a piece I start referring to it by name. Then I use that as my title. This works 9 out of 10 times for me.

!Artnik
01-14-2010, 10:50 AM
Letting the viewr name it is one opinion but I guess thats up to you.. is it your work or the viewers?

timE
01-14-2010, 11:38 AM
titles help to convey what you mean to.. Sometimes the viewer will miss the joke or see the wrong thing.. You can't always trust that your viewer will know what you mean by a piece.. Like when I look at this i think "america".. Which is totally different than what eraethil thought.. You can name them things like untitled number 4 but i think that doesn't really endear a viewer to your work and is sort of clinical especially for a piece of art. it's all up to the artist.

PushingPixels
01-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Curious, what was your inspiration for this peice, I live in a farming community which is coastal and often foggy so this reminds me of planted and plowed fields, but on an emotional level it seems dramatic and stark.
My title sugestion " Trancending values in Grey" but I enjoy playing with words.

Just a thought pick an emotion, look up dictionary.com and thesaurus.com and check out the references.

xxbulldogxx
01-14-2010, 02:03 PM
I really like all your ideas and the way you come up with names for a paintings. A lot of times when I paint I will get to a point where I just stop and then come back to it days or even weeks later. And when I start up again the painting will have a totally different look or feel to it then when I last worked on it. For instance this one was more brown and dirty looking but it just didn't seem finished so I put it off to the side. When I got back to it I added the red and blues to it and now it has a totally different feel to it. It's still dirty and weathered but it has more life to it now.
So before I added to the painting I was thinking of calling it "Foundation". But now it reminds me of colors on a flag on some dirty and weathered flag at a military out-post somewhere. So now I think I'll call it "A Reason" Meaning that the colors on the flag are the reason for them being there. The colors of freedom. Make any sense? I'm a former Marine so I think adds to how I came up with the name.