GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Untitled
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 28 x 22
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
An exercise in contrasting colors. What I was really trying to do- working from a BW sketch and memory- was capture the effect of morning sunlight in the barn.

Instead, I have a weird painting that looks kind of Halloweenish.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
How is the composition. Do the colors work- I only used about seven plus white.

What would make it better.

Oh yeah- can we play "name this painting!"

madster
09-13-2002, 06:13 PM
I think it's that basket in the center causing the trouble.

It's too orange, and the shape and vertical slats just make the mind connote "pumpkin"

In Painter, I took out some of the reddishness of the basket by painting over it with more yellowish brown tones.

I also emphasized more the highlights and shadows of the tools, since the eye is headed in that direction.

Good Luck!
Madster

I also agree with Jerry's post following mine. If it were all digital, I'd add more canvas to the bottom and put just a little more space around that part of the picture, but since it's hard copy, I don't think it's feasable in reality.
One of the joys of virtual painting....;)

jerryW
09-13-2002, 06:44 PM
madster did fix the basket somewhat.
but it seems to me the bottom of canvas was a wee bit too high for the whole composition.
plenty of room at the top and things are compressed below.

giniaad
09-13-2002, 09:13 PM
this is one of those situations that
you are going to get as many opinions
as there are people

I really love the colors
and over all feel

it is a bit cluttered at the bottom
an too free at the top
cropping is always a problem
they do not make canvas stretchers
in less increments than inches...(that I know of)
perhaps one inch off the top would help

ok, my 2 cents...
the only thing that bothers me
is the un-timely burough piece
it does not fit the rest...
too new for the older feeling of the rest
small nit pick...doesn't really matter...

name?..."Precious Memories, Needed Tools"
(a play on words too)

Cheers!

dollardays
09-14-2002, 05:08 PM
Madster: Thank you for the mark-up! Much appreciated - I think I have an idea where to go thanks to your response and you are totally right about the basket being pumpkin-like! More darks will balance it out. :D

Thanks Jerry and Ginaad: Maybe I'll add a window in the background at the top to see how that would affect the composition.

Never call it done, I guess. My paintings usually look better the third or fourth time they're painted over anyway. :D +sigh+

JustjoGA
09-14-2002, 05:43 PM
Well, I like it just as it is, but a window would give a light source... and toning down the color of the basket would accent the light on the chair and hat... Name? "End of Day"

madster
09-15-2002, 01:25 AM
I think just the bottom corner of a window would do sufficiently to pull the balance back towards the top. Too much window would split the visual contrast too much.

You mean you only have to paint over 2-3 times? ;)

Glad I was able to help!
Madster

dollardays
09-17-2002, 10:51 PM
Still haven't come up with a name for it but I like Giniaad's idea.
Madster: Darkened a lot of things and added some highlights, as suggested.

Thank you for the critique- it was very helpful!!

I actually like this painting now that it doesn't remind me of Halloween.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2002/Barn_Scene.JPG

Fagan
09-18-2002, 10:37 AM
I like the way it looks now. I am not bothered by any clutter on the bottom and the colors look fine to me! I especially like the colors on the basket. You were going for the early morning glow and you captured it (IMHO). I guess the only thing that seems off is the shape of the main basket. Very well done!

dollardays
09-18-2002, 09:59 PM
Just want to say thanks, Fagan, for your comments. They are very much appreciated. I thought this painting was so ugly to begin with.

Also checked out your website and I love that georgeous painting with the flowers under RECENT WORKS. Lovely colors. :)