PDA

View Full Version : Shrink wrapping pastel paintings?

backspin
09-13-2002, 03:31 PM
Hi, I'm doing an art fair next week & I have several small pastels that I'd intended to shrink wrap--then another artist told me that the static electricity would pull the pastel up & make a mess. Has anyone wrapped pastels in a way that would keep this from happening? I'm doing them mounted & matted, & then they need to be covered somehow. Help!

KarenU
09-13-2002, 03:58 PM
Yes...you definitely will have a problem with shrink wrap as it does hold a static charge. When I need to ship pastels, I use something called acid-free Glassine. I haven't had a single problem with anything that I've wrapped. As a matter of fact, I store all of my finished pastels in my studio wrapped in glassine and stacked on top of one another....again, no problems.

Check out www.dakotapastels.com I know that they carry rolls of it. It is a bit expensive, but well worth it in my opinion.

backspin
09-13-2002, 05:16 PM
thank you thank you thank you!

My frame shop has never heard of it (although the owner was out, so I'll call him tomorrow), & it won't ship here fast enough from dakota pastels, so tonight starts my frantic search through the art supply stores in the area! We have a couple decent ones; I'm hopeful someone will have it. I appreciate the prompt response! :clap:

chookbrown
09-13-2002, 07:13 PM
Hi, you said you were going to search the stores for Glassine and I note you are in the Midwest, well if you have a Dick Blick store close by they have it in the drafting deparment usually.

Good luck.

Colleen :)

backspin
09-13-2002, 09:24 PM
hmmm, well, I found & bought the glassine, but it isn't transparent....so while that will be good for storage it doesn't help me w/ my art fair, where the artwork needs to be displayed. I had been planning to put everything in a bin for people to flip through.....could I just shrink wrap the things for the one day?

CarlyHardy
09-13-2002, 10:47 PM
I just shipped two pastels using clear acetate over them. I tested it on a couple of paintings before shipping to see if there would be any problem with it lifting the pastel off the surface. Didn't have a problem with it. I'd suggest you use this since it's clear and will only be temporary. You don't use heat on it...you just wrap it to the back and tape. I've used it for watercolor too.

It is sold at the Hobby Lobby locally and you can find it in drafting shops. Comes in a lightweight which works the best.
carly

Birdie
09-14-2002, 12:29 PM
You guys are great...I have often wondered about that....never need to do it yet but I am hoping to have to soon.....Another reason WC is the best website ever:clap: :clap:

Birdie:rolleyes:

jackiesimmonds
09-14-2002, 01:35 PM
I remember seeing a post somewhere - you may have to hunt a bit - about someone wondering how to stop static, and there was a reply. I cannot remember what it was though!! Then again, they might have been talking about using perspex. However, it could be that whatever was suggested, would also work on acetate, if you find that static builds up on that.
Good luck with your artfair - know how you feel! I am delivering all my bits to my little gallery (which I hire myself for the week and run my own show) tomorrow, ready for my "art fair" next week.
Jackie

KarenU
09-14-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by jackiesimmonds
....I am delivering all my bits to my little gallery (which I hire myself for the week and run my own show) tomorrow, ready for my "art fair" next week.
Jackie

Wow...this sounds like a fantastic idea! Please post about this when you have the time. :D

chookbrown
09-14-2002, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by jackiesimmonds
I remember seeing a post somewhere - you may have to hunt a bit - about someone wondering how to stop static, and there was a reply. I cannot remember what it was though!! Then again, they might have been talking about using perspex. However, it could be that whatever was suggested, would also work on acetate, if you find that static builds up on that.
Good luck with your artfair - know how you feel! I am delivering all my bits to my little gallery (which I hire myself for the week and run my own show) tomorrow, ready for my "art fair" next week.
Jackie

If you rub a scrunched up dryer sheet over both sides of the acetate it greatly reduces the static cling - just thought I'd share.....

Colleen :)

ceEllicott
09-15-2002, 05:28 PM
I've found that a double or even triple mat helps A LOT when you need to protect a pastel from rubbing off on anything....

cheryl