PDA

View Full Version : Orange Hoverbox

anthony mauve
01-10-2010, 06:04 AM
Orange Hoverbox is an acrylic on panel 24" x 24".

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jan-2010/16054-floating_box.jpg

anthony

van
01-11-2010, 11:47 AM
I gotta say, there's something very striking about this...

anthony mauve
01-12-2010, 06:35 AM
thanks van--what sometimes happens is that the artist gets the thing right--the colors, shapes and size, their alignment--and then something magic occurs that's known as an "esthetic experience". It's emotional, illogical and memorable. This is what you may be experiencing with this piece.

For me, the "box" in the piece is actually hovering--shimmering in a way as if alive.

anthony

tpurnick
01-12-2010, 10:41 AM
To me, the box looks more like it's falling. It just seems to heavy. You might think about changing the title.

anthony mauve
01-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Interesting--the shape is stationary yet I see it moving up--you see it moving down! Either way--it moves. Thanks for the new title suggestion but I won't change it just yet.

anthony

timE
01-12-2010, 03:04 PM
do you want c+c?

anthony mauve
01-13-2010, 05:58 AM
Sure--comments always appreciated--why else post?

anthony

RandyC
01-13-2010, 09:25 AM
In general when a person posts a piece they are suppose to indicate if they want C&C. If they do not ask for C&C you are not suppose to give it.

tpurnick
01-13-2010, 09:34 AM
In general when a person posts a piece they are suppose to indicate if they want C&C. If they do not ask for C&C you are not suppose to give it.

That would seem kind of pointless.

Jon
01-13-2010, 12:10 PM
Whether it is on the rise or on the slide, it is most certainly disconnected from the other orange section. Thank you for sharing it, Anthony.

Occasionally, there are folks who do not wish C&C (particularly the critique part)and Tim is well within Forum etiquette to ask prior to offering C&C.....remember one "C" is critique and not all are as open to that aspect.
I hope that clears up that question.

Folks might want to review the welcome Sticky (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542844).
:)

anthony mauve
01-13-2010, 12:13 PM
I agree with Todd. Learning to crit a piece is something that's improved with practice. And will also make you a better artist. I'd like to see people here rather than just write WOW! to try to explain what made them go WOW!

I know there are Critique forums on Wetcanvas but these seem to be mainly reserved for the 3 classical subjects: landscape, still life and portrait--though nothing is prohibited.

anthony

anthony mauve
01-13-2010, 12:24 PM
I posted the message above before reading JON's message on forum etiquette--I've always wanted C&C but never thought about asking for it--thought it was a given.

How about the moderator's coming up with some sort of sign or symbol to be used by the person who wants a comment and crit so we don't have to type it?

Could it be something like a little guy in Cap and Gown?

anthony :-)

Jon
01-13-2010, 12:28 PM
I agree that critique helps an artist learn. As you have noted, WC has the Critique Forum for specific help. I want to note, too, that WC has the WC Gallery for those wishing to avoid close scrutiny and receive only positive feedback.
All I want to do is note it is helpful if a quick "C&C welcome" is placed in the initial post; it helps avoid misunderstandings. Some folks have it permanently noted in their signature line.
Tim asked and you answered, so it is clear what is acceptable to you where your works are concerned. :thumbsup:

RandyC
01-13-2010, 12:38 PM
Something I have seen with others is having C&C welcome in their signature line.