PDA

View Full Version : Sanded Paper

billyjo30
09-13-2002, 12:52 PM
Can someone recommend a good brand of sanded paper?

AriadneArts
09-13-2002, 12:55 PM
Colourfix from Australia is good--not too coarse but has good tooth and comes in many colors.

jackiesimmonds
09-13-2002, 03:00 PM
I am not from the US so cannot recommend, but will profer a word of warning. I mentioned this in another post, so forgive me people if I am repeating myself.

Do be conscious of the fact that sandpaper is sand attached to paper with glue. And glues are "fugitive", and not very reliable these days. If yu want to sell work, working on sandpaper is dodgy, from a long-term point of view. As I said before, the glue on sticky paper dries out, as do envelopes.

You really cannot go wrong with a good quality pastel paper. Alternatively, you can create your own textured surfaces using marble dust and gesso painted onto board, or there are, in the UK anyway, ready-prepared gesso in pots which has a wonderful, amost-sandpaper texture - Art Spectrum from Australia is excellent.

Be aware also that sandpaper, and in fact any textured surface, will EAT your pastels.

Jackie

do visit my ebay page and auctions (http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/jackie4art/.)

visit my website which has a “troubleshooter” page of helpful pastel tips and hints (http://www.jackiesimmonds.co.uk)

Also see my posts in The Artists Marketplace here at WC!

Inkling
09-13-2002, 04:00 PM
I use Wallis paper. It's very good. Here is a link that tells about it. http://www.dickblick.com/zz108/08/products.asp?param=0&ig_id=4696

AriadneArts
09-13-2002, 04:02 PM
Good points, Jackie. Especially about the eating up of one's pastels. I have Colourfix paper (made by Art Spectrum) in several colors, used it once, and not since. It uses up a lot of pastel, plus it's even messier to work on than regular pastel paper. It is archival, though, as is Wallis sanded paper.

Colourfix also sells their primer in jars of different colors, ready to prime most any surface you'd like. I make my own primer from acrylic medium and very fine polishing grit. It works fine. I originally began using it because I had a lot of ArtAgain black paper and found it was too smooth to hold much pastel, so I began priming it for a postcard exchange project. Doesn't eat up your pastels much, either.

CarlyHardy
09-13-2002, 10:56 PM
Jerry's Artarama has the Wallis on sale right now...just got their early fall sale catalog!

carly

arizona
09-14-2002, 12:47 AM
I've only tried sand paper once, and it was so radically different from the suede mat I love I couldn't get comfortable with it. It also broke my heart to see 3/4 my pastels end up not on the paper but on the desk.

sidhartha11
09-14-2002, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by billyjo30
Can someone recommend a good brand of sanded paper?

I use sand paper sometimes and find it very good to use if you are interested in producing interesting shadings. However, it is usually very expensive for some reason. For that reason , I do not use it exclusively ...