PDA

View Full Version : WDE 8 Jan 2010 Grain Store & maybe MI

robertsloan2
01-08-2010, 02:41 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jan-2010/70184-Grain-Store-At-Lamphey-Palace.jpg
Grain Store at Lamphey Palace
8 1/2" x 8" approx.
Color Conte hard pastels
White wirebound ProArt sketchbook paper

Still in a dusty mood and enjoying my little Conte set for its convenience! No blending in this one, all blending and mixing was done with sticks. No smudging!

RogerPf
01-08-2010, 03:46 PM
A strong presence here, Robert.

missswiss
01-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Nice Robert. Glad you are feeling better today and back to enjoying your pastels.

Rundun
01-08-2010, 04:36 PM
I like the strong colors in this piece.Imelda

oldrockchick
01-08-2010, 05:19 PM
The greens are pretty true to the real scene. It is so very green in Wales. This is a great version of this quaint old building. It is sharply done with the conte's.

I am looking forward to seeing what else you can doo too.

lovin art
01-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Very nice, Robert and the no blending works really well....

Sandra

Signchick
01-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Good one, Robert! :)

AlainJ
01-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Really colourful. Pastel is your medium.....

robertsloan2
01-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Thank you! Yeah, I've been on a pastel kick lately. I have new ones coming on Wednesday too including an entire box of assorted greens in the Greens Sampler from Dakota. So there will be a last minute challenge piece in the tail end of the week, health permitting, since that's the ultimate virgin art supply.

I've got several waiting and begging attention now. Tiny Sennelier cube with no bright green that'll be challenging to use for a landscape, but might come out really good with mixed primaries. Small Aqua Stick watersoluble OP pocket set with a bright green that should be very easy to sketch with. Then if I am feeling up to it this weekend, there's opening the Mayfair Box and daring to use my actual, real, artist grade oil paints.

I'd been thinking of saving those for summer because they take so much setup, but they are so beautiful I might not wait. If I worked small I might find a safe place to let the results dry, and I could always photograph it instead of scanning so I'm not waiting weeks for it to dry enough for a scan. It's a temptation, definitely a temptation. Also sticking my neck out on a medium I'm much less experienced in!

OPs are more like pastels and will be fun though!

Lin, does it count for the challenge if the new supplies have only been used once or twice so far? I've still got those Richesons and Art Spectrum Pure Tones that are also crying out to get attention.

bchlvr
01-08-2010, 08:59 PM
Great job on this one Robert!

PETE K
01-08-2010, 09:26 PM
Robert, great strong colours. the building really stands out. love it.

eyepaint
01-08-2010, 09:40 PM
oooh such electric greens!!

carol_lee
01-09-2010, 12:18 AM
Love the strong colors and shapes.... great composition!!
Carol

pragash
01-09-2010, 03:07 AM
love the background foliage and interesting altered perspective of the building

pragash

lady of colors
01-09-2010, 04:52 AM
very rich beautiful colours and darks ... beautiful ...

Joan T
01-09-2010, 10:57 AM
Robert - I just love the vibrancy of the colors...super job!

Charlie's Mum
01-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Love the richness and vibrancy Robert - when the sun shines, this is how it would look! :D

edtree
01-09-2010, 12:24 PM
:wave: Hi Robert! I really like the way you've made your darks so dark, especially in the greenery! Everything in your picture presents beautifully - an awesome pastel! :D

Elizabeth

connievanwinssen
01-09-2010, 01:40 PM
Great strong contrasts and colours!:)

oldrockchick
01-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Lin, does it count for the challenge if the new supplies have only been used once or twice so far? I've still got those Richesons and Art Spectrum Pure Tones that are also crying out to get attention.

sure go for it... let's see what you can do with them.

robertsloan2
01-09-2010, 05:49 PM
Wow, thank you all! I'm so happy this turned out that well. Lin, thanks! Much appreciated, those Art Spectrums are wonderful and so are the Richardsons but I don't really know them yet, still getting used to the feel of them and haven't used all the colors in them except in charting.

Today I did monochrome trees in gouache for Maggie Latham's gouache class in the Watercolor forum, and did one from the WDE:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jan-2010/70184-Blue-Trees-ATC-1.jpg
Blue Trees ATC 1
2 1/2" x 3 1/2"
Pelikan pan gouache
Lanaquarelle 140lb hot press watercolor paper.
Photo reference "Peacock" from Jan. 8 WDE by oldrockchick. I worked around a white pillar that was in the way and included some bushes under it and the value differences of the wall in sunlight and shadow.

So while it doesn't have the peacock in it, I did use the reference. :D

And I also found another new toy! I replaced my beloved Pelikan pan gouache set last year after getting fed up with the old one because the case broke. I eventually gave the still-good set with the broken case to a friend who didn't have any gouache as an excuse to replace it. So while the gouache is my old familiar favorite, the actual set is brand-new and I hadn't done any gouache paintings since I got the replacement.

I didn't realize I hadn't used the new set until I opened it and there was each pan with just a tiny dab disturbed where I'd done a color chart. That was it. I laughed and laughed because I've been using this brand since the 1980s and love it. Familiar and yet brand-new.

bluelilac
01-09-2010, 06:01 PM
A colourful pastel Robert!

Crowwoman
01-10-2010, 12:34 AM
Robert, great job on your Grain Store. Nice strong bold colors.
~!~Crowie

lady of colors
01-10-2010, 02:19 AM
beautifully executed monochrome RObert ... love it

skappy
01-10-2010, 02:20 AM
Very nice painting i like the vibrant colors
Robert

lovin art
01-10-2010, 05:10 AM
Great looking monochrome Robert, well done!

Sandra

Scotkatidid
01-10-2010, 08:54 AM
nicely done Robert! I loved the colors in this, one of my favourite greens.

Joan T
01-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Those blue trees are wonderful!!!!

Paulafv
01-10-2010, 01:04 PM
You chose the perfect medium for the first landscape. The colors are brilliant. Also like your goache in blues. Those Pelicans last forever.

oldrockchick
01-10-2010, 02:47 PM
sounds like you are having great fun this WDE using all your new and newly discovered toys.

It doesn't matter that the peacock isn't there - I mean it's a REFERENCE so use it how you will. Someone used the reference and removed the peacok and put it in the steam engine !! so that's what it's all about....

It's a great idea using the mono blue. It looks great - like a wedgewood plate design.

Free Your Mind :)

Glad you are having fun.

robertsloan2
01-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Thank you all! Yay Lin, you got it why I chose blue for my monochrome! I always loved those blue on white plates and crockery, when I was little I'd stare at them for hours in antique stores looking for all the details. It fascinated me how a scene could be done entirely in blue and somehow look so real.

Decades later as an adult I realized that all twilight scenes look a bit like Wedgwood plates and Blue Willow teapots too. There's a point that color leaches out of the world but not all of it, and everything is a brilliant blue. I love that time of day and think that's something people react to on an instinct level.

I'll try something else next if my joints are up to it today. Like the peacock, just didn't put it into that one. Might do the peacock for himself sometime too. All of your references are wonderful, wish this was not Arthritis Season.

l Heather l
01-11-2010, 10:42 PM
Hi Robert :wave: Really nice drawing. I love the contrast of lights and darks!

Sorry about your arthritis. Hope you're feeling fine.

PETE K
01-11-2010, 11:03 PM
Robert, the blue tree and bushes are very nice. love the choice i colour. well done.

artastic
01-12-2010, 08:51 AM
fabulous Robert!!

robertsloan2
01-12-2010, 10:22 AM
Thank you!

I'm not, but eventually I will. This weather can't hold continuously. In the meanwhile I'll try to remember my medication, that helps a lot unless I forget to take it.

robertsloan2
01-13-2010, 04:11 PM
Photomanip! Preparing a copy of the Peacock on Verandah scene to crop in just to the trees I wanted and bit of building, simplifying it in Gimp. Another "New Thing" even if it's not a new supply.

I've never mangled a reference like this before painting, but here it is!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jan-2010/70184-WDE-1-8-2010-Peacock-Cropped-Out-Trees-oldrockchick.jpg
Mangled Reference Crop - Trees & Bushes
Gimp photo manipulation and digital art tool on copy of Peacock on Verandah reference by oldrockchick for 1-8-2010 WDE.

I've read so many articles and books about people combining references or editing the references before painting. So I finally dared use Gimp for that instead of just for correcting color and contrast on scans and photos. Took about an hour and a half doing this, it's not easy! I had to get rid of furniture, a roof, two pillars and some white garden fencing even after the crop. But now I can see what I'm doing and think I have a good composition for a tree study.

C & C requested, since I'm messing with it anyway!

justjean
01-13-2010, 10:35 PM
Great vivid colours and a great barn :thumbsup:

lady of colors
01-14-2010, 12:46 AM
nice one ... good work on the Digi

robertsloan2
01-14-2010, 03:45 PM
Thank you! Today on the last day of this WDE, I got in a Pan Pastels painting from the digi -- meant to do that before the weekend and the next one, got it done. Feeling very proud.

Here's a progress shot from about an hour and a half into it:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jan-2010/70184-Pans-Trees-Canvas-1.jpg
I used the Colourist underpainting technique with strong colors and cool colors in all shadows, warms in all lights.

Then lost track of my stages and did stages 2, 3 and 4 all at once because of how I was layering small strokes for something halfway between pointillism and impressionism. I still think it worked though!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jan-2010/70184-Pans-Trees-Canvas-GardenTrees-2.jpg
Garden Trees
8" x 10"
Pan Pastels
Canvas board primed with Aubergine AS Colourfix sanded pastel primer.
Photo reference by oldrockchick for Jan. 8 2010 Weekend Drawing Event.

Charlie's Mum
01-14-2010, 05:05 PM
Wow Robert - very impressive - and I like the u'ptg too - nice in it's own right!

robertsloan2
01-14-2010, 05:19 PM
Thank you! I loved colorix Charlie's pastel class on Colourful Still Life and still try to use those techniques on other subjects. It always results in a vivid, powerful painting with strong values!