PDA

View Full Version : Colourfix Primer / Great use for pastel dust!

chuas2
01-07-2010, 03:08 PM
I got a jar of Colourfix primer yesterday and ran a couple "experiments."

I'd mistakenly gotten white instead of the clear I was intending to, but got the idea that I could tint it with pastel dust. Well, I combined a tiny bit of the primer with an even tinier bit of dust (grey, since it was a mixture of stuff that had fallen into the tray on my easel), and it worked beautifully. Robert had suggested I mix the dust with water first, and that's probably a good idea, since I forgot and it was a little difficult to mix in evenly. Just make sure it's not enough liquid to dilute the grit. Used this on Arches 140lb watercolor paper (two thin coats). Lovely result!

Then, I tried the white primer on a discarded painting on Colourfix (in Sand). I'd scrubbed off the painting, but a lot of pastel remained. So I brushed (and brushed) the primer right over the painting and ended up getting a nice tint that way too. So it was opaque enough to cover the old painting, and enough dust was left to mix in with the white (not totally even, but fine for most of us who cover a majority of the surface with pastel anyway) and create a subtle tint.

These are pretty subtle, but I imagine if you took a really saturated color (use chips that are too small to handle!) and mixed the dust in, you could achieve more depth, but probably not beyond a light/mid range).

At any rate, a good use for Colourfix Primer, pastel dust or bits, watercolor paper, and old paintings. :)

allydoodle
01-07-2010, 04:26 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Excellent and creative idea! This could be a great way to experiment too! It kills me to through out all the dust, but what to do with it? A neutral color to add to the Colourfix white primer is a great idea! I'm going to try it!

Thanks!

Donna T
01-07-2010, 06:57 PM
Thanks from me for the great idea too! I have rescued several sheets of watercolor paper with bad paintings on them by washing off the pastel and re-priming. Now there's hope for my dust collection too!

robertsloan2
01-07-2010, 07:46 PM
This rocks as an idea! The tiny bits left over from sticks worn down too small to use are all still good pigment. I've got white primer and I might try this too once I get a good dust collection.

Mingling dust that's predominantly warm or cool could lead to wonderful muted hues too, or grinding down stubs so that the colors used are all in the same hue family would give specific colors. Would love to see a photo of your resulting tints!