PDA

View Full Version : getting acrylics shipped across Canada

trapper36
01-06-2010, 11:29 PM
It's Winter here in Canada but I need more Golden Open Acrylics. However, it seems that my local supplier may have gone out of Golden Open --- I'm still checking this out.

I can get art supplies shipped to me from a supplier in Ontario but I live in Manitoba and it's a long time till Spring.

Does anyone else have this problem?
Any suggestions?

Bill_E
01-06-2010, 11:38 PM
I have a local supplier here in Edmonton, but I used to have the problem in Southern Saskatchewan. I had to change paint brands while living there for that very reason.

I do wonder though how the paint is shipped to stores in the winter? Is it sent by heated container? Might not hurt to ask Golden directly about shipping suggestions. Might be worth asking a local store how they get supplies in the winter.

~~Kathleen
01-06-2010, 11:39 PM
I don't know what the problem is trapper. Unless you live in a rural area, fragile packages are usually shipped air freight, and delivered by Purolator (or one of those types)
Chances of them freezing are pretty slim.
~~Kathleen

trapper36
01-06-2010, 11:44 PM
Yes, I certainly do live in a rural area --- in Manitoba.

LavenderFrost
01-07-2010, 09:55 AM
You could just ask the place you're ordering from how they ship the paint. One would expect them to know what they're doing, but you never know.

What part of Manitoba are you in? I'm in the Dauphin area. I usually buy Liquitex paints whenever I get a chance to go to Michael's. Where do you buy your paints?

~~Kathleen
01-07-2010, 12:02 PM
Until recently, I, as well lived in rural Manitoba Trapper.
All my art supplies were purchased on-line, and shipped by Purolator, and I never had a problem with freezing.
The only drawback was that I had to go to the depot to pick up the goods.
(About every small town has a depot for this type of thing now, and my town was a very small one!)
Like Michelle suggested, ask them how they ship, and work with them in a manner that benefits the goods you order.

Peiwend
01-07-2010, 12:39 PM
I'm an oil and pastel painter, on Prince Edward Island, who tried the Golden Open Acrylics a while back and quite like them. Just before Christmas, I ordered some Open paints, Open Medium and Polymer Varnish from Currys in Toronto with free shipping by Purolator. After Christmas, there was a cold snap with high winds and the bridge to Prince Edward Island was closed to trucks for two days. When my order arrived, the varnish was frozen solid but neither the paints or medium were frozen. After a few hours, the varnish thawed out and seems to be good but I haven't used it yet. There was no problem with the paints or medium.

Hope this helps...

____________________________Wendell

trapper36
01-07-2010, 04:59 PM
Thanks Bill, Kathleen, Lavender, & Peiwend:

I live in the country about 5 miles from Ste Anne MB.

I have received a reply from supplier in Wpg, and they still stock Golden Open --- they are working on their website so I couldn't find Golden Open there when I was looking.

However, now I will cross it off my worry list!

Trapper.

trapper36
01-08-2010, 11:31 PM
Here is reply from Currys:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Hello,

We ship with Purolator, and they do not have heated trucks for shipment. We have had instances in the past where acrylic paint has froze, but 24-48 hours after de-thawing they were perfectly usable.

I hope this helps,

-Monika-
Curry's Customer Service Team
e-mail [email protected] . TEL 1-800-268-2969 . FAX 1-877-772-0778
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I'm still wondering if freezing acrylics will cause problems? I've emailed Golden to see what they have to say.
In the interim, I will just pick up what I need from local supplier when I get into Winnipeg.

Trapper.

dances_with_oils
01-09-2010, 12:30 AM
Trapper, I think you'll find with the higher pigment loaded and the use of less water as well as less binder ingredients in the higher quality paints that the freeze/thaw isn't too big a deal if it's not a prolonged freeze. (I have had paint freeze for the whole winter and that did cause a problem - it was like porridge when it thawed - it was more a case of freezer burn where the moisture evaporated over time.)

trapper36
01-11-2010, 10:56 PM
Here is reply received from Golden:

Thank you for your email.
GOLDEN products are designed to withstand at least 5 freeze-thaw cycles with loss of quality. Acrylics will freeze solid if subjected to frosty conditions for extended periods of time. If this should occur, allow the acrylics to warm to room temperature (warmer than 60F) and leave undisturbed for a few days. Once the acrylic has equilabrated to the warmer conditions, the original high quality should return.
Kindest regards,
Kathy Armitage
Customer Service
Golden Artist Colors, Inc.
188 Bell Road
New Berlin, NY 13411
Ph: 607-847-6154
Fx: 607-847-6767

trapper36
01-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Here is a followup email from Golden to clarify previous email:

Yes, I do mean WITHOUT loss of quality!!!!! I'm sorry for the confusion... spellcheck didn't catch that one!

Kindest regards, Kathy

Rusla
01-12-2010, 02:49 PM
The problem is you do not know how many times the paint has been thawed or frozen before it got to your supplier. If the truck carrying it from Golden got bogged down in a snow storm, then it thawed out on the way to the border, then got frozen and thawed again and so on. It could have been on it's last time before getting to you. I bought a tube here that I had to return because it had obviously been frozen more than five times before it got to the store I bought it from.

Randi-Lee

trapper36
01-12-2010, 06:12 PM
This was my concern Rusla!

However, it appears that some of our fellow posters do not share our concern.