PDA

View Full Version : Thickening Gel

canvasishome
03-08-2001, 01:50 PM
Gang,

In line with my newbee status as an acrylic painter, here is another beginner's question:

I mentioned in my previous post that I want to paint in an impasto, oil type style. I have looked into adding the thickening mediums on the market. These are mediums you add into the paint to add body and a thicker feel to the paint.
Does anyone recommend one kind/brand over another? How about glossy or matte finish?

Thanks for your help.

-dk-

VictoriaS
03-08-2001, 03:15 PM
Check this out:
http://www.goldenacrylics.com/

The Golden web site has a lot of good info. It might be that their "High Solid Gel" is just what you're looking for.

You can mix gloss mediums with matte ones to get the desired sheen level, and some come in semi-gloss. Get a jar of each to experiment and see what you prefer for your paintings.

Victoria

Dima
03-08-2001, 03:34 PM
Hello Canvishome,

Almost all good manufacturers (and there are many around) make first class acrylic paints and mediums.
So availability in your area might be a first sensible criterium for your choice.
Each brand will have its own specialties like some beautifull colour or a special medium.
Golden for instance has many mediums for varying the consistency of the paint.
Golden paints have different degree of gloss depending on the pigment used.
All other brands have an even degree of gloss.
W&N-finity have only the slightest colourshift (acrylics dry up darker).
And such might be the arguments to consider when deciding on a brand.

Dick

------------------

LarrySeiler
03-08-2001, 04:01 PM
I used "Gelex" from Liquitex, but I heard the name was sorta odd, and artists ignored it. Now they call it, "Liquitex "Matte Opaque Extender Gel Medium."

Stuff works great for me.

Larry

------------------
The Artsmentor

"Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do!" Edgar Degas

VictoriaS
03-08-2001, 04:26 PM
Another variable to add to Dima's list: Liquitex dries 20% slower than others; that can be useful.

carly
03-08-2001, 06:31 PM
I use the Liquitex brand also, but I don't like the Glossy mediums. I stay with matte for painting, then when the painting is dry, I will use a Satin finish varnish over the entire painting surface. This gives a more consistent sheen.

However, when I've worked with a palette knife only on a painting...the acrylics do not need to be varnished to liven the color. It keeps a natural sheen much like oils do.
carly

------------------
"Everything is not art and Art is not everything, but it comes close."....carly

vonorloff
03-09-2001, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by VictoriaS:
Another variable to add to Dima's list: Liquitex dries 20% slower than others; that can be useful.

wow...and it dries too fast for me....ive been using the extender so it wont dry on the palette while im working.

------------------
VonOrloff

Keith Russell
03-10-2001, 11:16 AM
Greetings:

I have done several space-scapes using various impasto techniques for planet surfaces.

I have only used Golden products, and I like them enough I'm going to stick with them.

I like the 'Light Modelling Paste', and the various texture gels (which have pumice particles in them, to add graininess.)

I mix and apply these with palette knives, then airbrush over them, for colour AND shading, when they are dry.

Keith.

------------------
Keith Russell
Synthetic Sky Studios
Science Fiction Fine Art
[email protected]
artkc.com/russelk.htm