PDA

View Full Version : What category do oil pastels belong in?

stonehill1
01-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Hi everyone! I wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem. I've had it before, but the show or competition staff has always assigned a category to my works if oil pastels are not mentioned in the prospectus. I have to get my entry in by tomorrow for an upcoming show and although I've inquired several times, the only answer I get when I ask whether I should be in the drawing, pastel, or "other" category for entries, I am always told - "decide yourself". Now, of course I could do this, but what if I pick one and then someone else enters an OP and puts it in a separate division? or, what if the judge disqualifies me for being in the "wrong" division? As I've encountered this several times now, I was wondering if anyone had any words of wisdom, or had dealt with this same problem? So far, I have never been "allowed" to enter the pastel division, and have usually been considered a "drawing". And, I must say, most shows only have a 2 dimensional category, and one for 3 dimensional pieces so thankfully it's not a constant problem. But, with entries so high for many shows I do NOT want to be disqualified before I even get judged! :-) Any thoughts anyone?
Thanks!

Pat Isaac
01-05-2010, 05:20 PM
This is a huge problem for oil pastel artists. I usually enter my work in the pastel/drawing category, because it would never hold up in the oil category. There are very few shows that have a separate OP category. They have always been accepted in the pastel/drawing category as that is initially what they are and I have actually won awards in this category. This is where I would put it.

Pat

stonehill1
01-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Thanks, Pat! We can always count on you! :-) But (don't you HATE to see that word??:-) This particular show has a Pastel category, and a separate Drawing category. I'm thinking that in this case I should enter the Drawing category? (who KNEW it could be so difficult to enter something?? LOL!)
Anita

Pat Isaac
01-05-2010, 05:30 PM
It is often difficult to enter some shows and very discouraging. We are trying to make headways. I would enter drawing also.

Pat

stonehill1
01-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Thanks, Pat! :-) I feel a bit more "brave" about it now! I have to say that it seems the larger shows don't make a big deal over what medium is used. I find that they usually just have one division for 2 dimensional works and one for 3 dimensional works - which makes things pretty simple! But, I have found once or twice before, that I wasn't able to enter an oil pastel in any category!!! You have to wonder what is the matter with the system? Is there anything we can do when presented with situations such as this? I found it particularly disheartening when the show staff all said that they didn't know where to put an oil pastel and for me to choose myself. I could just SEE the mess that this could cause, especially if another OP was entered and was in a different division. So, I wish there was something we could do to prevent this sort of thing, but in the meantime, my entry will go out in the morning with the category filled in as "drawing" and I'll let you know if anything is said.
Thanks SO much for all your help to us all!
Anita :-)

Pat Isaac
01-05-2010, 05:57 PM
This is a real problen for us. I know I was a member of a national organization and had submitted oil pastels in the pastel division, had even received recognition for it. The next year there as a notice that said no oil pastels could be entered into the pastel category. I was naturally upset and called. They indicated that it wasn't a pastel and maybe it belonged with the oils. I knew that wouldn't work, even though I told them I had been entereing the pastel catergory for several years. I drpped the membership.
We are making headways. Hang in there.

pat

truck driver
01-05-2010, 09:34 PM
This is a real problen for us. I know I was a member of a national organization and had submitted oil pastels in the pastel division, had even received recognition for it. The next year there as a notice that said no oil pastels could be entered into the pastel category. I was naturally upset and called. They indicated that it wasn't a pastel and maybe it belonged with the oils. I knew that wouldn't work, even though I told them I had been entereing the pastel catergory for several years. I drpped the membership.
We are making headways. Hang in there.

pat

In cases like this I wonder if it is sometimes jealousy that causes these things. I.E. somebody got mad that you won with oil pastels. So they decided to push the oil pastels out of the category.

RG

Pat Isaac
01-06-2010, 08:13 AM
Petty....if that is the case...

Pat

JPQ
01-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Very odd to me if i made decions i add them pastels. becouse style is sometimes so similar i think. and also this makes me angry when some thinks oil pastels (or aquarelle etc) is kids stuff only. actually to me most nicest art works are made with aquarelle,pastels (oil and soft and hard) and goauche and
even with computers. of course there are nice oil painttings etc.
ps. dont have this problem yet but still is nice know about it.

truck driver
01-09-2010, 06:30 PM
Petty....if that is the case...

Pat

People do a lot of petty and mean things to each other, even more so when money and prestige is at stake.

Which is why I find what you and others do on this forum completely refreshing. Theres no question to small, or painting so bad that it doesnt get a thought out comment from you. This is one of the reasons I think you are quite awesome !!! Thank you once again for your time, and dedication not only to your art, but to teaching others as well.

If I ever do produce something show worthy and get the opportunity to show my work. In the required BIO it will definately include you as one of my teachers, and influences.

RG

Pat Isaac
01-09-2010, 06:43 PM
Thank you, RG and I find this forum a wonderful supportive place. You know, it is set by the tone that we extend to each other. Having taught for years and years I have found that it is better to always encourage rather than bring down.
Thanks to all of you for this forum.

Pat

truck driver
01-09-2010, 07:23 PM
Thank you, RG and I find this forum a wonderful supportive place. You know, it is set by the tone that we extend to each other. Having taught for years and years I have found that it is better to always encourage rather than bring down.
Thanks to all of you for this forum.

Pat

Well it is you and bill who set the tone. We just try to follow your's and his examples.

RG

sparklefishstar
03-25-2010, 05:38 PM
So..did anyone finally decide what category they belong in?

Pat Isaac
03-25-2010, 05:42 PM
All I can say is that I enter mine in the pastel/drawing category. And sometimes in the pastel category if no other options are available. This seems to work.

Pat

CarlyHardy
04-08-2010, 01:13 AM
Just popped into the forum to say hi and noticed this question. When confronted with a list of categories like "drawing, pastel, or other", I'd choose "other". Only the artist can define if his/her work is a drawing or a painting. Sometimes it might be easy to tell if the medium is pencil or charcoal which is usually submitted as a drawing....but even charcoal can be considered a painting depending on the techniques used.

Since the International Association of Pastel Societies designated dry pastels as pastels, even the Arkansas Pastel Society decided to no longer have oil pastels in their annual shows. Hence, when you enter a category simply designated as pastels, most jurors consider all the works as dry pastels.

That leaves most oil pastelists with the "other" category. And I always feel that when a show puts that in, they simply don't want to leave any artist out who might work in a more unconventional medium....like fabrics or mosaics.

However, if I were told to choose my own category, I'd probably choose to not do that show. A prospectus for a show should be clear on its categories.

carly

Pat Isaac
04-08-2010, 07:11 AM
That they should, Carley. I have yet to see a show with the "other" category. None around here. They lump pastels and drawing together a lot. I think mostly because they don't get many entries in either category so want to be sure and have enough.

Pat

RainySea
05-01-2010, 10:08 PM
I called and asked the show people when I was entering mine this week as they had no category for Oil Pastels. They told me to enter either into Pastels (which I did) or Other.

mollerman
02-14-2012, 01:15 PM
Isn't it about time pastels are recognized as a medium by themselves? I can understand pastels being considered a drawing medium if most of the paper surface has not been colored over or if the pastel was used for sketching. When a surface is covered in color or medium and because of the variety of techniques used like blending and layering it becomes a painting. I think the biggest issue with catagorizing pastel as a class by itself is in the lack of numbers. As I see things over in the soft pastel forum it is one of the most involved forums on the WC. The two pastel mediums combined are out numbered in posts and threads by only one other medium, watercolor. The popularity seems to be there just more spread out across the world. If you look up the definition in Websters dictionary it would seem that pastels could be catagorized as painting or drawing, depending on how the medium is applied. IMO pastels should have a catagory to themselves... maybe someday?

Pat Isaac
02-14-2012, 04:06 PM
It would be great if they had their own category. I do know it wouldn't fly around here as there are VERY few oil pastel artists in this area. Yes I call my work a painting and I know many others who do especially the soft pastel artists. Like you say....maybe someday...

Pat

dgodlove
02-19-2012, 09:41 PM
I am very new to oil pastels. Very. In fact I've only finished one piece. Several attempts to figure them out though. I bought a set of Sennelier, and Richeson's "Jackson". both are buttery. I, as a rule, use soft pastels. I love them. I get lost in the action of the physical touch of the stick on the sanded paper. I truly want to get into the oil pastels as well. I need guidance. Where should I go to get some feedback on substrate, techniques etc. Any suggestions.

Pat Isaac
02-20-2012, 10:01 AM
Welcome to the OP forum, dgodlove.....:wave: There is quite a bit of information in our library which you can find at this link.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=394
Hope this helps. Also there is much info in our regular studio forum.

Pat

thevaliantx
09-13-2012, 05:06 AM
I'm on the fence when it comes to deciding whether soft / hard / oil pastel work is "painting" or drawing". I feel the oil pastel work is painting (it just doesn't drip or need a brush), but that soft / hard pastel is "drawing" because it doesn't have a wet property. Yet .... any of the pastel stuff looks a lot more painterly than sketchy.

Pat Isaac
09-13-2012, 07:22 AM
Well, it is definitely not an oil painting, even though I would say that an OP is a painting. Most of the shows around have a category drawing/pastel and that is usually where I put my OPs.

Pat