PDA

View Full Version : Ready cut mats

Mike_Beeman
01-04-2010, 05:30 PM
I'm looking for an outlet or resource for ready cut mats (single, doubles, etc) at a reasonable price...does anyone have any suggestions?

Deborah Secor
01-04-2010, 06:39 PM
In the past I cut a deal with a a nearby framer, who was more than willing to give me a great package deal on mats cut all the same size of the same board, with backing, for a very resonable price. In this economy, if you're willing to buy ahead, I think you could get a bargain price!

Just a thought... I'm sure others will have more suggestions.

Deborah

bnoonan
01-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Mike I tend to work in different sizes so I cut my own but I'll be paying attention to see what other suggest. I like Deborah's idea and even though she told me long ago to work in a set size or two... Deborah, I regret not listening....

This week I ended up turning my studio into a framing factory... Oh to get back to the pastels and out from under the glass worrying about fibers and dust. Barb

Mike_Beeman
01-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Deb and Barb ...thanks appreciate the input. This was actually for a friend who is trying to cut expenses from having a framer do all the work. She has a large inventory she has to mat and found they just can't continue to do business the same way.
I generally cut my own mats and it's a pain... but the only way I can do it at the moment.

DaveMak
01-05-2010, 12:45 PM
If you do work with a framer you may want to approach one who has a CMC (Computerized Mat Cutter). Multiple mats are simple to cut on a CMC and most framers would be more than willing to sharpen their pencils on such a deal as the cost to own or lease these is expensive and work such as this helps to pay the fare for having one.

Also, if you use several standard sizes, consider using a size that could be cut out of the "fall out" of one of your larger size mats. This should further reduce your costs.

Shirl Parker
01-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Daniel Smith has a pretty good deal on "presentation kits", a mat, a backing board, and a glassine envelope. They come in many sizes, colors of mats, and packs of 5 or 10 sets. I found them to be a good bargain. Link here. (http://www.danielsmith.com/ItemSearch--search-presentation-kit--srcin-1)

robertsloan2
01-05-2010, 03:36 PM
Blick has something like that too with the RoadShow system, those are individual packages of acid free mat, foam core backing and archival acetate clear bag for selling art. They have a bulk discount at buying 10 and another discount at 25 and I think that's over all the sizes.

They also have good prices on precut mats ranging from economy ones to archival museum board ones, both their house brand and a couple of other brands. Plenty of selection and lots cheaper than stores. I think Blick tends to be the price leader on things usually, though Jerry's and ASW can come close.

Blick Art Materials
01-05-2010, 06:09 PM
We offer a wide variety of inexpensive pre-cut mats. You might also want to consider cutting your own. Feel free to give us a call and we can discuss your options.

Kristal

Potoma
01-06-2010, 12:51 AM
I have contemplated buying mats on ebay. Often, you can get 20 or 50 or something of the same thing for pretty good prices.

ElsieH
01-07-2010, 09:51 PM
:wave:

Does your area have any of the you-frame-it type shops?
We don't have any here, but when we lived in Calif. there were several.
My daughter would go with a couple of her friends, there were helpful clerks there to give advice and help and they could use the equipment there and get mats, frames etc. cheaply.

Another possibility is to find a friend who had the equipment and who can help you cut your own.

I know that Cheap Joes and Blick's have special sales on precut mats every once in awhile.

saramathewson
01-07-2010, 11:13 PM
Here's a place I found on the net

http://www.redimat.com/products/museum.html

It's worth a look anyway:)

Sara

Mike_Beeman
01-26-2010, 11:34 AM
Appreciate all the input and resources...very helpful!