PDA

View Full Version : Grandma's mug

lmarie23
01-02-2010, 11:52 AM
This is my painting from last night. My grandma collected these kind of mugs - they're called Toby character mugs from Royal Daulton. When she moved from her apartment to a nursing home I inherited this mug. It had been shattered years ago but glued back together - I like that.

Update: I just found a picture of the mug online! and who it's supposed to be!! how exciting! If mine wasn't glued back together maybe it would be worth something. http://www.seawaychina.com/saireygamplarged5451.aspx

What do you think? Acrylic on canvas, 11 by 14. (and I included a picture of the mug!)

Lynne

noodle1
01-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Well I think it's a neat idea to paint it but perhaps I would have made it a bit larger since it's not in a setting of any kind. You have a lot of background think it takes away some from your mug. Your back of the mug is off some, needs to be more of an ellipse shape, follow through with the overall opening and angle view. Changing the direction he's looking is kind of cool and creative. I think you did very well with this tho.

Elaine

OkeeKat
01-02-2010, 10:46 PM
Very nicely done mug, Agree with Elaine, too much background.
Keep up the good work

arl
01-03-2010, 07:08 AM
Wonderful work on the mug. I agree with the too large size of the background.

lmarie23
01-03-2010, 07:40 AM
Thank you for the feedback. I guess I thought having a lot of background and a small object made it kind of playful, something different than usual. But maybe it just got lost in all the background. I'm entering an art show entitled "Simplicity: More With Less" so I've been thinking about how to make things simple - simple materials or settings.

The mug is life-size, I think that's partly why I painted it that size. You're right, the angle is wrong, though I found it a bit hard to do because the front part of it isn't a normal curve (it's curved up and down with the bandana) and I was looking down at the mug while I painted it.

With the background I was thinking of the beautiful way Rembrandt does backgrounds, but my own, playful take on it.

Lynne

Ali khamis
01-03-2010, 02:55 PM
Very nicely done .