PDA

View Full Version : January Pastel Strokes

PETE K
01-01-2010, 12:46 PM
Welcome to the January Pastel Strokes!

Those who have participated in previous months already know the guidelines. For all newbies to this monthly challenge, they are as follows:

* An individual volunteering to host the monthly project proposes to a guide or a moderator a new photo reference near the beginning of the month.

* The guide or moderator approves the host and reference photo(s) and the selected host posts the project in Pastel Talk and also a thread in the Soft Pastel Studio with a link to the Pastel Talk project.

* Interested participants create a painting from the photo(s) and upload it to this thread for viewing and discussion.

* The image may be cropped, rearranged, and interpreted in any manner! Use different effects in your software program and try painting something different, tweak the color, add or subtract things.

* You may paint as many versions and as many photos as you like, and they may be any size.

Now here's the January challenge for this Pastel Strokes:

Below you will find four of my photos. do with them as you please. the first one is a portrait of my grandson.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2010/131537-100_1792.jpg

the next one is a still life of oranges i did a few days ago. I left the background plain so you couls add whatever you would like to it. change the colour, add apattern. whatever.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2010/131537-100_1811.jpg

Now for # 3 this is a landscape of a Live Oak down the street from my house covered in moss.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2010/131537-100_1850.jpg

and now for the last one this is a gnome in my back yard.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2010/131537-100_1800.jpg

I sure hop you all will join in. I sure can't wait to see all the versions everyone comes up with. So enyoy have fun. and I'll be here all month with you.

robertsloan2
01-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Pete, I love that live oak! The orange slices are interesting too, great photos! I may come back and try a couple of these, especially that tree. I've been getting interested in tree studies again and that one's just too gorgeous. Brings back fond memories of New Orleans and all the grand big live oaks down there.

PETE K
01-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Robert, I started working on that one last night. While I was still still waiting on the ok what to post. I ened up with the perspective way off and had to wipe it. now it looks alot better. still have a ways to go tho. hope you could make it.

CM Neidhofer
01-01-2010, 02:41 PM
OOOO.....I love the oranges!!

robertsloan2
01-01-2010, 04:58 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2010/70184-5-Orange-Slices.jpg
5 Orange Slices
8" x 9" approx.
Pan Pastels on white ProArt wirebound sketchbook paper.

More of a preliminary study than a serious painting. I'm not sure if I like this or not but it was interesting to do! About two hours fooling with it.

PETE K
01-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Christine, thanks I hope you give them a try, I see Robert has done it already. I didn't even think about them yet.

Robert, WOW! for a preliminary study you did great on it. I don't know why your not sure about liking it it looks great to me. nice hight lights and shadows. the shadows have nicerefletive colours comming off in it.whats not to like. I never tried pans yet. and may not for some time. just put a order in last night with asw for some sticks. for over 300.00 some senneliers about 60 + loose, a few AS which cost about twice as much as the Sennelies and 3 - 6 packs. broke down and ordered 39 southwest landscape Great American. and a 25 basic set of Mount Vision. maybe i should hav waited to today Jerrys has an extra 5% off and free shipping. i could have got 12 or 14 more sennelies for the saveing.

robertsloan2
01-01-2010, 09:14 PM
Thanks! Awww that is so frustrating when a good sale starts the day after you get something. Funny, that was my budget too only I threw it at Dakota this month, got the 20 Deep Darks and the one gray that I didn't have in the original 60 colors, plus a Greens Sampler to try all the brands I've never tried, a paper sampler and lots of PastelMat.

I've decided given how sweet the PastelMat surface is but how costly it is to work out anything I'm going to do on PastelMat on sketchbook first, at least one preliminary so that I don't waste that splendid paper. I love it so much with everything I've tried on it from Pans to sticks that I'm training myself into good habits of sketching and doing preliminaries more.

I might add a background in a final version of the still life with the orange slices. Though I love those shadows with the reflected colors so I might still go ahead and keep them on a white surface. As a study, you're right, they did come out well! It's just there's nothing else in the picture and it's on sketchbook paper. I keep wanting to see white fabric in folds behind them if nothing else and that'll take a little fooling around to get it right.

Vivien Maloney
01-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Pete; great photos! I'm away on Summer Holidays for most of this month but will try to get one of these done.

Robert; love your oranges - they just glow and the reflection from the oranges and the purple shadows really make them zing!!!

PETE K
01-01-2010, 10:42 PM
I look around Dakota, Blick, Jerrys, and ASW was thebest price i found for everything. than i got 15% off and only paid 6.95 shipping for everything. there is now ASW in GA so i don't have to pay any tax either. Sennelies were only 1.99 each and with the discount they were 1.69 each. and i got to pick what i wanted.

I never tried PastelMat. I have tried Wallis which i think is pretty good just everything sticks right were you put it. Colourfix. not real happy with it. and Richeson that i don't like at all. i do like Fabriano and lean a little more twards Mi-Tenites i do like the fell of the flow of the pastel stick gliding across the paper. kind of like oils on a smooth canves. now i do use the smooth side and sand it with sandpaper. leaving enough dimples so when i use my stick on it's side here a there at the end it leaves some what of the patteren in the paper for that effect. like in grass bark on a tree. i'll have to try some PastelMat BUT i will have to sell some more to get the money. i have seen the price and it's not in the budget as of now. not the way i paint. i try to paint at least one a day. doesn't allways work tho. i was asked to teach a 6 week class in oils so i had to pick up a brush to get some practice in before i start this week. it been about 5 to 6 months. you would be surprised how much you forgot. but it comes back quite fast.
the background i did on a seamless background ( back to my Photography days ) so i left it open for interptation. let everyone come up with there idears what should be there or just go with what i have.

PETE K
01-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Viv, sure hope you have a good time. just thinking what it's like to have Christmas and new years in summer. never really though about it untill you said it. down under it is summer time. I learned something today. thank you.

chuas2
01-02-2010, 12:31 PM
I'm working on this and will post shortly, but am still chuckling over the gnome in your yard. You're a very lucky guy. I had one for a while but he took off. I hear it's very good luck when you have one. ;)

Ruthie57
01-02-2010, 01:19 PM
Robert, I love your bright and zingy orange slices and the complementary shadows. Great!

PETE K
01-02-2010, 01:40 PM
Chuas, not sure i here they do leave at times. this one has been here for some time now as you can see. we have a artist in our gallery that makes these. she has a room full of them of all different sizes. plus alot of other things. she could sit and talk to you as she is making them like a production line. it's amazing ow she does it. wel i can't wait to see what you have come up with. i'm sure it will be great.

jmcedeno
01-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Pete, great photos the oak tree covered with moss is my favorite, I'll give it a try on Monday, today Saturday and Sunday I'll continue my struggle trying to get my website on Blogspot. When it comes to do something in the computer that I'm not familiar with, I am totally "mental retarded" and get very frustrated.

Robert, your oranges are very juicy, love them. I might try them, although I am not fond of doing still life.

robertsloan2
01-02-2010, 04:34 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2010/70184-Garden-Gnome.jpg
Garden Gnome
2 1/2" x 3 1/2"
Cretacolor pastel pencils and Richeson semi-hard pastels
Cream Stonehenge paper.

Fooling around looking for something neat to paint this morning, I came back and noticed the gnome. Why not mess around with color and see what I can do to create neutrals from brights the way Charlie does? So I decided to do the gnome small with pastel pencils.

He must have brought me luck because while I was working on him, Karl came upstairs with a honking big box from Blick. My new set of 120 Richesons arrived when I had the gnome about half done and the background blank, so I used the Richesons for all the background textures and some details on the gnome too. I love these pastels.

Thanks for hosting, Pete! You put up some great photos! I still want to do that fantastic live oak too, but this was a happy little surprise today, as much for me as anyone else.

Mstechart
01-02-2010, 07:55 PM
I'm so new here but I need the lessons -- so I'll try to do those oranges and post something later (maybe tomorrow).

Robert I love what you've done with the lavender shadows :-) and the gnome -- that's the two that captured me!

I thought about doing your grandson Pete but I take portraits so seriously that I wouldn't be able to post it for DAYS ;-)

PETE K
01-02-2010, 08:56 PM
Robert, I love what you did, for someone fooling around this came out great. sure does have Charlies colours. Your shading sure looks great. and the colours really pop. Richeson sure does have a bright orange or is it really red. i used it last night and it overpowered my oranges alot. really had to tone it down but i only have 36 hand made. far from the number's you have. was your set also made in China? thats the only thing i don't ccare for about it. not sure whats in them. my order may not get to me untill Thur. i guess because of the holydays. the order shows it's been shiped but UP's doesn't have it yet.most of the time this happens when i order on friday and it waits on ups to pick up mon and deliveres on wed. not that bad.

Ok Now here is the Live Oak that i have been the past few days. the moss isn't quite as dark in the pic as in the original. had to wipe it on the firs go. prespective was way off. so i had to start again. I was quite amazed I got so many layers on after wipping it to come up with this. . it's 12/16 on Mi-teintes. C&C Welcome. for some reason my pic's ten to come out blurred most of the time. don't hav a clue why. anyone have any insight on it.:confused:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2010/131537-100_1902wc.jpg

PETE K
01-02-2010, 09:03 PM
I'm so new here but I need the lessons -- so I'll try to do those oranges and post something later (maybe tomorrow).

Robert I love what you've done with the lavender shadows :-) and the gnome -- that's the two that captured me!

I thought about doing your grandson Pete but I take portraits so seriously that I wouldn't be able to post it for DAYS ;-)

Sandie, well Welcome and glad you joined us. do what ever pleases you. were here to help you or you could help us, you have all month to do it. and these lessons are free. how much better can you get than that.

robertsloan2
01-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Pete, that is so beautiful! I love that live oak and you captured it and its shadow so well. I'm still thinking of ways to adapt it that'll make the tree more the focus of the scene, it's got so much in it that it'd be a major painting if I include everything.

PETE K
01-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Robert, thank you. i felt the same on it thats why i tried it so big. I kink of get the feeling of the oak reaching out to grab what ever comes down that street. well free to use the pic even later if you please. i was over St. Simons today and found a few more live oaks there, got some pic's but the sun ws going down fast. got there late had traffic all the way up 95 which is only about 24 miles but it wasn't moveing at all. bumper to bumper, everyone going back up north after the holydays. everyone must of left the same time. traffic here was never that bad. I think i saw only 3 cars from GA all the way there.

chuas2
01-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Pete, on the subject of your photograph; I noticed that some of the picture is clear and only parts are blurry. You may be standing too close, and the autofocus is just on one part of the painting. If your camera has a zoom, maybe try standing further away and zooming into the painting. Just an idea...

Mstechart
01-03-2010, 01:41 PM
Hey -- here's my FIRST still life -- no kidding! Those oranges just spoke to me -- although quite obviously I missed the exact angles but my hubby thought I did ok other than the angle. C&C extremely welcome -- it's still on the easel so if you offer suggestions, I can still make adjustments! Thanks Pete for the encouragement. Oh -- Rembrandts, a couple Sennelier and a few NuPastels (to sketch and start -- on Colourfix paper (I think). This was done this morning in 2-3 hours (oooppsss -- didn't realize I was at the easel that long UHOH!)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2010/209338-100_1000.JPG

Ruthie57
01-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Pete, I love your live oak painting. really vibrant! I may try this myself but, like Robert, I'll probably lose a bit of the detail in the BG.
Sandie, your oranges are fabulous! I love the way you've used lines of different yellows to depict the flesh. For your first (or 21st) this is very well done!

chuas2
01-03-2010, 02:27 PM
Ok, here is my first of at least two promised paintings, I just had to have fun with this guy!! Oh, and I always forget. 6x5" Sennelier, Rembrandt, Schmincke on Colourfix paper in Sand.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2010/208492-painting_gnome2v2.jpg

robertsloan2
01-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Sandie, your oranges are gorgeous! Beautiful realism, I love the juicy feel of them and delicate accuracy. I didn't get the angles right either, big deal. We rearranged the fruit.

Chuas2, wow! I love how you combined two of the references into something so delightful! You changed the light on the gnome so that he's bathed in the orange reflected light from the oranges! This one is great.

PETE K
01-03-2010, 03:19 PM
Hi Chuas, thanks but it's not that of the photograph as much. it mainly starts in the cropping. and than quite a bit more it seems in the transfer to here. i do get in in the photo but i always take 3 to 4 pic's and take the best one. always with the zoom part of the way out. .sorry i was so long getting back to you but iworking the gallery and it got really busy.

PETE K
01-03-2010, 03:24 PM
Hey -- here's my FIRST still life -- no kidding! Those oranges just spoke to me -- although quite obviously I missed the exact angles but my hubby thought I did ok other than the angle. C&C extremely welcome -- it's still on the easel so if you offer suggestions, I can still make adjustments! Thanks Pete for the encouragement. Oh -- Rembrandts, a couple Sennelier and a few NuPastels (to sketch and start -- on Colourfix paper (I think). This was done this morning in 2-3 hours (oooppsss -- didn't realize I was at the easel that long UHOH!)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2010/209338-100_1000.JPG

WOW! Sandie, these are some great looking oranges. love the way you handled the blue around them. i had a littler problem mixing them and seem like i would never get the green out of it. you sure did great on it nad the they contrastextreamly well. :thumbsup:

Mstechart
01-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Pete,

THanks! Hey -- I checked your blog and saw YOUR orange slices -- WOW! Tell me Pete -- how do you get the light reflecting on your's to give it the 'wet' look? I couldn't figure that out.:confused: Please share with me -- I'm not done with this one -- especially after seeing your's ;)

PETE K
01-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Ok, here is my first of at least two promised paintings, I just had to have fun with this guy!! Oh, and I always forget. 6x5" Sennelier, Rembrandt, Schmincke on Colourfix paper in Sand.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2010/208492-painting_gnome2v2.jpg

I just love this! the way you combined the two together. and the indentations in the oranges. this is so cool. great idear.

PETE K
01-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Pete,

THanks! Hey -- I checked your blog and saw YOUR orange slices -- WOW! Tell me Pete -- how do you get the light reflecting on your's to give it the 'wet' look? I couldn't figure that out.:confused: Please share with me -- I'm not done with this one -- especially after seeing your's ;)

Sandie, I just taped in a bunch of white dots and some dashes. but tried to place them in some clusters where i thought that would be the brightest area and less in other areas. hope that helps.

Ruthie57
01-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Chuas. I love the gnome on the orange slices. This is very innovative and a great painting. You could've put a live oak in the BG though.....................

chuas2
01-03-2010, 07:33 PM
lol! You're right, or at least a toadstool...

Vivien Maloney
01-04-2010, 12:35 AM
Pete; love your Oak painting, beautiful! Haven't even begun yet, but maybe while I'm away on holiday and I'll post when I get back about 25th Jan.

Sandie; great oranges!

chuas2; this is great, and I loved the way you put the 2 photos together - well gone, a terrific idea. Full marks for imagination!

PETE K
01-04-2010, 01:38 AM
Well thank you Viv, hope you cna get something done, i'll be looking for you around the 25th. injoy the heat and holyday, we are sure cold here.

Mary Y
01-04-2010, 01:40 AM
Robert, Your orange slices are great, they glow. I also like the colourful gnome.

Pete,
I peeked at your website and the orange slices are delicious. Your oak tree painting is lovely.

Sandie,These look great. I see nothing wrong with the angle.

Chuas, A fabulous idea.I admire people who can produce such individual paintings. Your work always has a lovely sense of light to it.
I hope to try one of these but I go back to work tomorrow so time will be limited until the weekend.
Hope I havn't missed anyone.

Mary

Desiree
01-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Wow, these are just wonderful, everyones work is beautiful. Great job I love looking, hope I have time to try one

gakinme
01-05-2010, 08:10 PM
Robert, now that I look at your oranges slices, I love the shadows even more. The gnome is so cute.

Sandie, your orange slices are beautiful.

Chuas, love the creative touch to your gnome and oranges. I hope bees won't go after him when he walks around.

Pete, gorgeous oak piece. The colors are so storybook like. Very magical look. Any of the storybook character might step right behind from the tree!

I've got my second set of pan pastels and before work, I was working on the gnome and mushroon on a 9x12 inch drawing paper that I put watercolor on with patches of colors. The problem is the gnome is only 1.5 x 3 inch at most and I just can't manage details with the sponges. I resorted to using pastel pencils and the face now looks a bit bashed up on both sides. LOL.

I'll try to work on it tomorrow or start a new piece but make the gnome bigger.

Thank you, Pete, for the wonderful references. I'll also try the oak tomorrow.

PETE K
01-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Mary, thank you. i'm glad you liked my orange slices. i 'm working on the one in here hope to post it later.

Sandra, thank you i kind of get somewhat of the same feeling in a way. when i tock this pic. it had this different type of a feel to it and i know i had to paint it. hay maybe the gnome is hideing in the bushes.

gakinme
01-06-2010, 03:25 AM
I don't really like this. I might do a piece with a bigger gnome.

A drawing sheet from kids' sketchpaper previously colored with light peach and blue.

Panpastel
Pencil
General's Pastel Chalk Pencil
9x12 inch

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2010/86669-pastel_feb10a.jpg

robertsloan2
01-06-2010, 05:43 AM
I like your gnome, he's wistful -- like the placement too, you give a sense of how small he is with this. Curious to see your next one since you're planning to change it.

gakinme
01-06-2010, 12:11 PM
I tried the gnome again just now, Robert, with pan pastel on a piece of charcoal paper and sort of gave up. It is not easy to sculpt his face.

Here is the oak with pan pastel on charcoal paper. I'm wondering if I should try it on colorfix paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jan-2010/86669-pastel_oak.jpg

PETE K
01-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Sandra, i like this. it has the feeling that he's small in the big forest. the way you did the background give the sence of tall trees in the deep forest. very well composed and use of colour.

chuas2
01-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Pete, I wish you would do a "demo" of the trees step by step. I tried them, but I am LOST when it comes to landscape, and it turned into a big mushy mess. :crying:

It IS fun on the subject of the gnome though, how he does look wistful and contemplative, but Robert and I made him look kind of mischievious...

gakinme
01-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Thank you, Pete. Yeah, how did you did your trees one, Pete?

Ruthie57
01-06-2010, 03:21 PM
Well, I've done the tree one aswell. I did this in an hour for the monthly sketch thread (apologies to those who've already seen it). I intend to do it again with more care and no time limit but don't know when I'll get back in my studio as my Mum still has my heater and it's way too cold to go out there. I do miss my soft pastels :crying:
This one is done with conte sticks and pastel pencils.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jan-2010/189061-IMG_2732.JPG

PETE K
01-06-2010, 08:26 PM
Hi Sandra, i like the loosness in this and for only an hr. i don't know mush about pans so i wouldn't be much of a help if you did it on Colourfix paper. there is only on way to find out is to give it a try.

Chuas, i wish i did when i was doing it. i'll tell you my next one that i do i'll try to remember to do it. don't fell so bad i lost the prospective in this one also. i had to wipe it the first time.

Ruthie, you sure did great for an hr.i guess it real cold there also. if it's in the 20's at night here in Jacksovill FL. I couldn't even think how cold it is where you are. I sure hope it warms up here and by you also so you wouldbeable to get back to painting.

chuas2
01-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Well I'm attempting the landscape photo for the third time. But I'm going to post this one, even if it's horrific (like the other two), so I can get some pointers on where I went wrong, what I should do going forward, etc...
Wish me luck!
Chuas
:eek:

Ruthie57
01-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Thanks Pete! It's probably not much colder here than you though it did get down to -6c last night, whats that in farenheit? I don't know. We also have snow and more forecast.

Judibelle
01-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Love the works submitted so far...
ruthie and sandra...your tree scenes are so nice...and I love the elfin one, sandra.
I tried that one in 2 parts....the elf and one with just the mushrooms. On burgundy bugra paper, mostly hard pastels. 9x5".
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jan-2010/103700-scan0004.jpg__elf.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jan-2010/103700-scan0005.jpg__3_toadstools.jpg

C&C always appreciated.
Judi

Ruthie57
01-07-2010, 03:45 PM
Oh that gnome is great! I love the way you've focussed on his face and left the rest of him less defined. The mushrooms are great too. Love the colur contrasts.

jmcedeno
01-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Pete, your Live Oak is outstanding with all those colors playing together is like a symphony, the blurry of the photo adds mystery, superb!

robertsloan2
01-07-2010, 05:23 PM
Ruthie, I love your version of the live oak scene. That is magnificent. Sometimes pushing to do something in only an hour means grabbing the essentials of a scene and it produces something wonderful -- sure did for you. That's perfect.

Judibelle, wow! I like your gnome, you changed the angle you're looking at him effectively and turned it into a vertical piece so well. I like the changes to the mushrooms behind him too, this one has a great composition. His face is wonderful too. The one with just the mushrooms is good too.

Chuas, you're right, post it even if you hate what you got because anytime I have trouble I get lots of help from painters I admire here. Sometimes the fix is a lot easier than it looked when you're the one that did it.

I love this challenge and still want to do the live oak, might not be today because I'm still fighting to get my hands under control but I definitely want to do a good one with that scene. It's got so many happy memories of Audubon Park and other places in New Orleans that had live oaks.

PETE K
01-07-2010, 11:16 PM
Sorry i'm behind today. got up early went to paint a 30 /40 oil painting that i'mworking on at our gallery where we hold classes and workshops. being i was asked to teach an oil painting class today for the next cupple of weeks and hadn't painted in oils for a cupple of months. so needed some practice. had to end the class 1/2 hr early so i could get to St. Simons for an opening a gallery i have some paintings in. got there late but still had an hr to it ended. just got back so here go's.

Chuas, i'm glad you are attempting the live oak. there is know way that it would be horrific. the other two are just fine. Ipush myself on a lot of things i think ican't do and some come out really great. I'll give you a hand if (and i do mean IF) you need it. OK and others will also. IF you need it.

Ruthie, your welcome. no it isn't i check the conversion chart and you are just a hair colder the here. they said on tv we will getting back to where we should be by mon or tue. around 18 to 19 celsius in the day cant wait. it would be like your summeer weather. but still cold for us. sure can't take much more of this cold. my doughter lives in Plymonth UK and she said that it snowed alot there earler this week and evern the buses were off the road. i'm sure glad we dont get snow.

Hi Judi, love your gnome, and what a fantastic looking mushroom piece you did. grreat use of colour. very well exacuted.

Jose, thanks. i was playing Back, Beethoven and Schumann while painting it. maybe that helped. i find i like that music when i'm painting. don't know why but it's relaxing to paint to. my painting seem to come out better than listening to rock or other music.

Robert, with all the painting you have been doing. we will still be here when your ready. i just know you will do a great job on it. i'm glad you love this challenge.

chuas2
01-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Thank you Pete! When I get to a point I can post this infernal thing I will, because I will welcome ANY helpful advice. Hopefully tomorrow. Been too preoccupied with work to paint much in the past couple days (hate when that happens!).

Judi, I LOVE your mushrooms, especially the second one. They have kind of an ethereal glow to them. Just the thing you'd expect from mushrooms with a gnome underneath them, or mushrooms underneath which a gnome had just been. They don't look like the cement Pete says they are, although I don't think I would try eating them either.
Chuas
:lol:

Judibelle
01-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Thank you Ruthie, Robert, Pete and Chuas. It was really fun. May try one of the others, but we'll see...
Pete...YES your live oak is so alive with energy....love it.
Judi

SunFace
01-08-2010, 03:23 PM
Your grandson is so good looking!

I think I will try the oranges.

SunFace
01-08-2010, 03:30 PM

L:heart:ve this!

chuas2
01-08-2010, 08:32 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jan-2010/208492-painting_oak_tree2v2.jpg

Ok, as promised, here is my mutilated oak tree. I know the perspective is off, the drawing is bad as is the color, and there is no focal point. Help!

9"x12" Sennelier, Schmincke, CarbOthello and Conte pencils on La Carte Card.

Thank you SunFace! I had a much better time with the gnome than I did this landscape, I can tell you that!

robertsloan2
01-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Chuas, this is beautiful. The sunlight streaming through the branches of the tree is glorious and I think you do have a focal point right under the curve of the big live oak where there's a green bush up against very strong backlit sun.

This is gorgeous. Do not can it.

Taking some liberties with the shape of branches is fine, you haven't changed its identity or species. It's much better than you think it is! The light in it is so golden and rich, it takes my breath away. It's like that moment when your eyes haven't adjusted to the light yet and you can't see well, then my eyes turn to that little green branch under the curve of the live oak and it's so rich and beautiful. There's the eyepath through it that I take anyway.

PETE K
01-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Hi Chuas, you really did very good on this. you can really tell it's a live Oak. your sun light is great. i have to agree with Robert. you did do alot better than you think you did. I don't know if i would want to chane it. i would may want to add just a reall small amount of a slightly darker moss to a few spots hanging from the branches with the same colour you used for the moss around it. but i don't think you really have to. your branches look great. thats where i had some trubble getting my perspective right. and you did them just great. who said you weren't good at landscapes? you sure fooled me.:clap: :clap:

PETE K
01-08-2010, 09:50 PM
Ok Here is my try at the oranges. 9/12 on mi-teintes. C&C Welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jan-2010/131537-100_1900wc.jpg

chuas2
01-08-2010, 11:24 PM
Thank you Pete and Robert! Looking at the landscape I can see things now that I want to revise, but I think I'll put it away for a couple days and look at it with "fresh" eyes. But no, I won't throw it in the trash just yet. :lol:

speaking of fresh, check out those oranges, Pete they look positively BURSTING with flavor! Really, you can see all of those funny orange "pockets" or whatever they have that have all the juice in them. Fantastic!
Chuas

Mary Y
01-08-2010, 11:34 PM
Pete,
These are really lovely . So juicy looking.
There is a lot of great paintings in this thread. Between work and a faulty mouse I have not had time to paint or been able to comment so I hope to have time for both before Monday.
Mary

PETE K
01-09-2010, 12:07 AM
Chuas, i havenever trashed a piece yet. no matter how much i didn't like it. ihave had people come by an bought them from me even tho i didn't like them. the pieces not the people.alot of thing i didn't like others really liked alot. don't ask me why. i don't have the answer for it. and thanks for your really great comments on the oranges. they looked better than they tasted.

Mary thanks, i'm sure hopping you could get things together this week end. i fine i have to open my mouse and clean it quite often. then it works for a time and have to do it again. it seems dust gets in and cloges up around the rollers and the ball doesn't want to work then. when i clean it it works like new. you and Chuas both have a great day.

gakinme
01-09-2010, 11:48 AM
chuas, your live oak piece is beautiful bursting with sunshine!!! It looks better than mine.

Pete, glorious oranges. The colors are so vibrant I always wonder how you manage it. Envious. I've been practicing on this piece as a small sketch a couple of days ago. I'll do one later on tonight. I'll try it with pastel on the Canson paper or the wanna-be Canson paper - the dreaded Strathmore Gray Scale Paper.

PETE K
01-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Sandra, thanks, i never use the ruff side always the smooth side. I also use Champagne kind of a light tan/yellow. I feel the light colour paper gives for a little lighter piece. and for some reason this colour the sticks just flow better than other colours. now that just might be me. but it seems to. and i tend to pick bright colours. you should see some of my oils. everyone says they are bright and full of colour.

gakinme
01-09-2010, 03:44 PM
Wow, you are right, Pete. Your oil pieces have even more light. Really like your "Hillside" piece. All your landscapes are very pretty.

I should really hide these oranges.:lol: Strathmore Gray Scale Paper slightly sanded down, pan pastels, Cretacolor hard pastels and General's pastel chalk. 3/4 sheet of 9x12 inch.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jan-2010/86669-pastel_orange.jpg

PETE K
01-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Sandra, Thank you. you did great on this. it's only the paper with the wide grain in it. even tho you sanded it. it is to strong of a grain. i find this has a great look for a landscape if you are looking throught a screen. you have some mi-teintes use the smooth side it's better then Strathmore. I still like what you did here. it's still great.

gakinme
01-09-2010, 05:05 PM
I have only 3 more sheets of this awful paper and I don't have to look at it again. I gave these oranges another amendment. I put goauche over it to correct the shapes of the orange and a dark background to cover out the wrong dimensions, washed the pastel with water. Put a dab or two of white and yellow on the orange pulp and realize in the end, it still didn't show. So I still have to use pastel pencils and hard pastel to highlight them again. Luckily this paper is built like elephant skin and the gouache and water didn't even make it flinch and I could continue the vigorous pastel work. Background outside of the oranges are now pan pastel.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jan-2010/86669-pastel_orange2-darker.jpg

Thanks again, Pete, for the great references. I have enough fun making a mess with pastel for now. :lol:

PETE K
01-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Sandra, this looks alot better. now you have a mixed midea piece. i also glad you only have 3 more sheet to go. or is that 3 sheets to the wind. LOL. sorry that just came out. try some dot's and small dashes in the orange to give it that jucey look.not to many tho. that's how i get that look. i start dark and bright. and than work my way to the lighter parts leaving the shadows alone.

robertsloan2
01-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Pete, your oranges look so brilliant and light-filled! They're luscious, so natural and glowing with warm light. Sorry they were sour, they look as if they'd be so sweet and juicy. Wonderful painting.

Sandra, your mixed media oranges are great too. Incredible save with the gouache, that really worked! Even with the distortion they were nice, you had great color and reflected color, lots of depth and detail. But once you added the gouache and reworked them, they popped! Yay for using up the paper you hate. I'm not quite as annoyed with that paper but haven't used it much, have to admit that. Might keep it for charcoal studies if it doesn't perform well with pastels.

PETE K
01-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Robert Thanks, I think i got to use to eating them off the trees around this time of year. when they get ripe on the tree they are so great. but when you tend to get them from the store they are picked early and shipped and rippen when they are in your house. not the same. guess i'm spoiled living down here where oranges grow all over the place.

rugman
01-10-2010, 12:14 AM
Nice job everyone! Its fun to see all the various outcomes from the same references.

Here's my verison of the gnome. Lots of fun and was a perfect subject to test an idea I had. 4 x6 image; with paper to fit a 8x 10 frame. On cheap watercolor paper with colorfix primer under image and acrylic for the matte looking border area.

Thanks Pete for hosting!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jan-2010/81164-noamAop.jpg

A larger view to show more of this technique: (still need to trim paper to size)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jan-2010/81164-noamBop.jpg

PETE K
01-10-2010, 02:00 AM
Nicely done Ron. this is such a cool idear doing it on the same sheet of paper and have it look light a mat. I seen one the other day something like this but done with a black mat at a gallery. it wasn't as good as yours is here. thamks for the demo. on how it's done. the gnome really stands out.

chuas2
01-10-2010, 12:56 PM
I agree with Pete, good job Ron, and totally creative ideas! I'm surprised tho, that the grain of the paper stands out through the primer. That's the only "criticism" I have. It distracts from the awesome painting you've done.

RonnieT
01-10-2010, 01:16 PM
I went for a combo...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jan-2010/70842-OrangeTree.jpg

It's mainly Ashby soft pastels drawn on a sheet of cheapo A4 pastel paper. :lol:

chuas2
01-10-2010, 01:32 PM
:lol: ! This is awesome, and awesomely well executed. I think this is the companion piece to mine. The gnome got up off the orange slices and decided to have himself a little fun. Thanks for the first good laugh of the morning Ronnie!

RonnieT
01-10-2010, 01:56 PM
:lol: ! This is awesome, and awesomely well executed. I think this is the companion piece to mine. The gnome got up off the orange slices and decided to have himself a little fun. Thanks for the first good laugh of the morning Ronnie!

:lol: glad to be of service!

But the little gnome guy is behind that second tree on the right. No, seriously, he is! :wink2:

chuas2
01-10-2010, 02:13 PM
Holy smokes Ronnie. I was just checking out your website. Is there any medium you haven't work in?

PETE K
01-10-2010, 02:31 PM
Ronnie, this sure is a differen orange tree than i have ever seen. i can't remember the artist that does the melting clocks, thats what i first thought of when i saw the oranges slices hanging in the tress. you are very creative and i do like this very much. it's different yet incredible. love it. now i'm haveing trubble finding the gnome. is he hiding?

chuas2
01-10-2010, 02:56 PM
I think you can only see the gnome if you believe in fairies. Dali, is the melting clock guy and that was my first reaction too (after laughing).

RonnieT
01-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Holy smokes Ronnie. I was just checking out your website. Is there any medium you haven't work in?

I've tried most mediums, but that doesn't mean I've mastered them all! For the life of me I can't control watercolour and acrylics dry too quickly on me (I'm a tinkerer, I need lots of time :D )

Ruthie57
01-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Ronnie, I just love the "orange slice" tree! Very original and made me smile.

rugman
01-10-2010, 11:23 PM
Thanks to eveyone for the comments.

RonnieT- Love the "orange tree". All we need now is money to grow on trees like that!

gakinme
01-11-2010, 12:20 AM
Ronnie, very cute! It could easily be bacon too but oranges would be just as fun to walk under.

Sukye
01-11-2010, 02:42 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jan-2010/157087-DSC02173.JPG

Hello everyone! I still consider myself a newbie. Well, here it is.... Opened my new Koh-I-Noor pastel pencils finally! On Canson paper. C&C welcome.

PETE K
01-11-2010, 04:27 PM
Well Sukye, welcome and glad you joinedus here. your oranges are terrific. and considering you did this on the ruff side of the canson it's even better. love the shadows and the contrast in the colours. you even got some of the jucy spots going in this. very well done.

chuas2
01-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Ronnie, very cute! It could easily be bacon too but oranges would be just as fun to walk under.

LOL! I think I'd rather not walk under a tree with hanging bacon, but who knows? It might be rewarding!

dsoc
01-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Haven't done pastels for quite some time. Have now decided it's time to try again.

My take on the Orange Slices.
On Clairefontaine Pastelmat - Light Grey
Rembrandt sticks and Conté Pencils

All C&C welcome.

Déaglán

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jan-2010/13261-Orange_Slices.JPG

Sukye
01-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Thank you, Pete. Your encouraging words really motivates me to do more with pastels as I am doing it all by myself at home and it really helps to look at it in someone else's perspective. That's why WC is so helpful for people like me! However, I see I still have more tinkling to do after looking at the image posted.

I had a happy mistake with the wrong side of the Canson paper.... :o I was so excited to start on the oranges that I did not check which side I was on until later! But then, I realized that the texture helped to lend the dimpled effect of the orange rind. I like to think so anyway.....:rolleyes:

Cheers!

PETE K
01-11-2010, 07:01 PM
Sukye, my whole process of learning pastels came from this sight. i heve a few books i bought and one of out fine artist her gave me critique. and she was the auther of the book i was learning from. so many people here are more than willing to help. so dont ever be afrade to post you will always get help. and on the back side of the paper the smooth side still has texture but nowhere as much. i'm glad i could help. thats what we are here for.

Deaglao, i like what you did here. it's very nice but may i add it's prety much the same values. now i try not to use white. i tend to use ivory instead. oro some other light colour. it you use some in the light areas of the orange it would make this pop. and make it a great piece.

chuas2
01-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Déaglán and Sukye, both good jobs on the orange slices. In fact, since Pete says they weren't that juicy, maybe yours (that appear somewhat drier) are more accurate depictions :) . Sukye, yes, I did the same thing and utilized (somewhat) the bad texture of the "wrong" side of Canson. You made it work for you! Keep on keepin' on you two!
cheers,
Chuas

CM Neidhofer
01-11-2010, 09:21 PM
Awesome!!! Very Dali-esque! :thumbsup:

I went for a combo...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jan-2010/70842-OrangeTree.jpg

It's mainly Ashby soft pastels drawn on a sheet of cheapo A4 pastel paper. :lol:

dsoc
01-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Pete/Chaus,

Thanks for comments. The photo "washed" the picture slightly. There is a bit more tonal value IRL. I do take on board what you are saying regarding white. I will take a deep breath, jump back in and see what comes out the other end. Will post again when I am "finished".

The last couple of years I have been using charcoal and pencil. Found an old pastel sketchpad while getting Christmas decorations from the attic and decided to try pastels again (my New Year Resolution). Maybe I should try with just 2 or 3 colours rather than the whole box.......

Déaglán

PETE K
01-12-2010, 08:15 PM
Deaglan, you could do it. i'm glad you found the sketch pad. use what ever you need. and it depend on how many are in the box. if there's 525 in the box don't use them all then. if you have 12 to 18 maybe 5 to 8 depending on the colours. it's up to you. i have 100's of colours and i used maybe 10 to 15 on mine. lets see i use 3 or 4 blues, 4 oranges, 3 yellows, 2 purples, and 1 ivory, and 1 white. that would make 14 or 15. i could haveprobely got a way with less but i had the ao i used them. hope this helps. can't wait to see your revised interuption.

deedeemacaw
01-12-2010, 11:22 PM
Hi everyone,
Love all the pastel work I've seen here. I am fairly new to WetCanvas and am trying out different mediums. I have posted in Pen & Ink, Drawing and Sketching and Oil Pastels. This is my first pastel posting.

Judy
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2010/202541-Gnome.jpg

chuas2
01-12-2010, 11:55 PM
Judy this is charming! Looks like you are having fun with the pastels; hope to see more of your postings here! Although my work in pen & ink was many years ago, it seems that pastel painting might be a good way to loosen yourself back up after doing the fine, unforgiving linear by definition work in pen (as I remember it).

Déaglán, restrict your colors only if you find all the choices intimidating. I had an art teacher make me do this for a while. In hindsight, I'm not sure this was a good idea, as it made me very tentative about color. There's a lot to be said for using your intuition (and your whole box of sticks) and just experimenting, see what you come up with. Over time, you'll be limiting your palette, just because there are some colors and color combinations you're drawn too.

robertsloan2
01-12-2010, 11:59 PM
Judy, this is lovely. It has a soft fantasy feeling, a story book illustration with a lot of detail and accuracy but a pretty, dreamlike color palette. Gorgeous interpretation, he doesn't look like a sculpture so much as a little gnome enjoying the shade of his gigantic toadstools!

SunFace
01-13-2010, 01:32 AM
Well,

Here is my attemp at the oranges. I am not all that happy with them ... done in about 45 minutes on Stratamore pastel paper.

PETE K
01-13-2010, 07:47 AM
Hi Judy, and welcome. i'm glad you joined us. I love your version of the gmone you sure did a great job on this. i'm impressed he looks so peacefull thinking what he's going to do next. hope you be joining in more. it's so nice to have another person covered in pastel dust like the rest of us.

Hi Sunface, very nice rendition the colours just pop. I don't see why you are not happy with it. it looks fine to me. and in only 45 min. WOW!

SunFace
01-13-2010, 02:22 PM
Thanks Pete!

robertsloan2
01-13-2010, 04:02 PM
SunFace, your orange slices look great! I love the little highlight on the edge of the slice. You captured their texture and color beautifully. The background's bright and pushes them forward. You're also dealing with the limits of that paper, the sanded papers allow more texturing and layering than smooth papers like Strathmore.

One thing I noticed about yours is the very bright blue of the background, it creates a "pop art" effect because it's just as intense as the orange of the oranges. Perfect full intensity complements sizzle and dance, they look like Warhol paintings even when they're very detailed. I like it.

If that wasn't your intent, then muting the blue background to a steel gray would make the orange slices pop forward from the background instead of keeping everything in a pop-art plane. But what you have is so great as it is that if you want to try that -- do the oranges again! I'm not kidding, this is very cool exactly as it is.

dsoc
01-13-2010, 06:48 PM
Trying to take everything that was said on board, here are the Orange Slices amended.

I have tried to get more contrast by darkening the shadow areas. Also I have removed the white and replaced it with a pale yellow.

I think it looks better, but other opinions would be welcomed.

I am enjoying this. Might try the tree next......

Déaglán

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jan-2010/13261-Sliced.JPG

SunFace
01-13-2010, 07:31 PM
SunFace, your orange slices look great! I love the little highlight on the edge of the slice. You captured their texture and color beautifully. The background's bright and pushes them forward. You're also dealing with the limits of that paper, the sanded papers allow more texturing and layering than smooth papers like Strathmore.

One thing I noticed about yours is the very bright blue of the background, it creates a "pop art" effect because it's just as intense as the orange of the oranges. Perfect full intensity complements sizzle and dance, they look like Warhol paintings even when they're very detailed. I like it.

If that wasn't your intent, then muting the blue background to a steel gray would make the orange slices pop forward from the background instead of keeping everything in a pop-art plane. But what you have is so great as it is that if you want to try that -- do the oranges again! I'm not kidding, this is very cool exactly as it is.

Dear Robert.

Thank you so much for your comments, advice and compliments. You are always so right on!

I did purposely use very bright colors. I love bold bright colors, very organic ones, even in my oil paintings.

I was mad about the paper, and that is why I did not like them as much. Mainly because I had lots of trouble between the edge of the orange and the background. You can see it in the picture!

I am getting my colorfix primer this month, so I will try that and see how it goes.

The only thing I was worried about the sanded papers ... do they eat away your pastels? I have several different brands. Recently I purchased some Rembrandts, and still my Smellier are my favorites!!!! But they are sooo expensive.

PETE K
01-13-2010, 09:50 PM
Trying to take everything that was said on board, here are the Orange Slices amended.

I have tried to get more contrast by darkening the shadow areas. Also I have removed the white and replaced it with a pale yellow.

I think it looks better, but other opinions would be welcomed.

I am enjoying this. Might try the tree next......

Déaglán

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jan-2010/13261-Sliced.JPG

Deaglan, love the changes it really sets off rhe piece. now if you add just a few well placed high lights around the inner rim of the orange, this will turly pop right off the paper. and be fantastic!:clap:

robertsloan2
01-13-2010, 10:16 PM
I go through pastels a little faster on the Colourfix but not as fast as on Wallis. Pastels last a long time though. Don't worry too much about it.

If you want to save money, then use hard pastel sticks for first layers -- all the brands of those tend to be cheaper than soft pastels, then use Rembrandts and Art Spectrums for much of it, then finish off with Senneliers. I just got Richeson semi-hard pastels and they are great, that's what I used on my oranges -- and the set of 120 was only $105 from Blick, so that's a bargain for a big set with that many colors.

Art supplies always pay for themselves. You paint well enough that you could start selling on eBay or online to help cover the cost of pastels and are constantly improving. So by the time you use up your Senneliers, you can afford more. Also they have inexpensive half stick sets. The half sticks are very thick and I think they're a good bargain for the amount of pigment you get with them, also you get more colors that way.

With whatever colors get used up first, chart them. Over time there's always a few that become so necessary in large areas of multiple paintings that it'd pay to get the super size sticks in those colors. Sennelier does Le Grande in both soft pastels and oil pastels, they are cost effective. Or some places if you order the same color in multiples there's a discount, but it only makes sense to do that once you know what color it is you use that much.

I found that the more colors I have, the slower any individual stick wears down. But it takes a long time to use up a pastel stick, even a normal one, even on sanded paper. Maybe it's because I don't work huge but the set of pastels I had when I did portraits on the street lasted me years without wearing out even one of the sticks.

PETE K
01-13-2010, 10:58 PM
Hi Robert, there is only one thing about the Richeson semi hard sticks they a real hard and unless you are usung them on sanded paper they dont do almost anything on reg paper, one even made a whole in my sheet while trying to get some colour on. either i got a bad set. but i don't think so. every colour in the set is hard. all 36 of them. they seem more like drawing sticks. and made in china. i just put them away and made room for my new MV's ans Great Americans that i got last night. i may give them a try doing quick study sketches. than i don't really paint on sanded papers either. but than now thats just me.

SunFace
01-14-2010, 12:03 AM
Robert, on of my problems s that I do prefer to work as big as I can. I do the challenges in 11 x 14 most of the time. I have some smaller paper but is just not as fun!!!!!

Pete I never heard of those brands! I do prefer softer than harder pastels though. I have a set of galleria pastels (which are not expensive) but they are great and tend to be in the harder side. Actually I find that they are not much different than the rembrants!

I do have a problems =with many of them on the red and orange hues. It seems that this colors have like a shell or something. I have sanded them down and still continues through out. Is very frustrating and it has happened with different brands.

Anyone else have had this problem?

PETE K
01-14-2010, 01:40 AM
Sunface, i also have a set of 90 they do alot of my under painting, they do have some softer one in the set. to me Rembrandts are i don't know how to say it slightly waxey/oilly if that makes sence. the Galleia pro( which are round) are more like art spectrum, the hardness of some red, orange, and yellow are due to what they are made of. most all brands. use (iron oxside) it's the main pigment for these colours. and iron oxside is metel (rust to be exact ) and yes orange and yellow comes from it too. so that why they are hard, i don't remember the process for it tho. I was to young when my uncle and grandfather made it to remember. i like semi hard pastels also for blending. the best is to find out for yourself. find a place that sell loose sticks of different brends. or go online buy a few of different brands. find what your confortable with that fits your style of painting. i may change in time. learn from as many people as you can. and develop your own style. that will tell you what type or brand is best for you. one will like one brand and think it's the best an another would like a different an also think it's the best. and so on. that's mybe why there are so many different brands. we all have different taste. the most inportent thing i found is to keep painting every day. there is this guy that painted with crayons. when you look at is portraits and painting you would think they were great oil painting some like photo. and thats what he did till he died. painted only with crayons. there is no one way or right way. read, watch vidios, take lessons and everyone here will always bend over backwards to help you. hope this helps some what.

jmcedeno
01-14-2010, 08:50 PM
Pete, Sunface, Deaglan, Sukye, Sandra, Sandie, your orange slices are great, brilliant colors.
Judy, Sandra, Robert, Ron, I like your gnome it must had been fun doing it, the expression in the face tell the story, good job.
Ronnie, what a clever idea to combine the photos and make a surrealist painting, Salvador Dali would had been envied.
Chuas, Ruthie, your Live Oak looks great in backlight with the sunlight coming from behind the tree trunks, very good.
Did I forget anyone?, I had not checked the postings for few days, I love everybody's work this month.

Jose

jmcedeno
01-14-2010, 08:55 PM
Well, here is my Live Oak. 9x12 on Wallis.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jan-2010/159973-Old_Oak_Tree-IMG_0990.jpg

PETE K
01-14-2010, 10:08 PM
Jose, WOW! you just set the bar high, this is fantastic, your colours pop on this. love the treatment of the back ground and the road. looks as some of Charlie's influence rubbed off on you. how amazing. your tree has such detail and the prospective in spot on. what more could i say you executed this perfictly.:thumbsup:

SunFace
01-15-2010, 12:16 AM
Sunface, i also have a set of 90 they do alot of my under painting, they do have some softer one in the set. to me Rembrandts are i don't know how to say it slightly waxey/oilly if that makes sence. the Galleia pro( which are round) are more like art spectrum, the hardness of some red, orange, and yellow are due to what they are made of. most all brands. use (iron oxside) it's the main pigment for these colours. and iron oxside is metel (rust to be exact ) and yes orange and yellow comes from it too. so that why they are hard, i don't remember the process for it tho. I was to young when my uncle and grandfather made it to remember. i like semi hard pastels also for blending. the best is to find out for yourself. find a place that sell loose sticks of different brends. or go online buy a few of different brands. find what your confortable with that fits your style of painting. i may change in time. learn from as many people as you can. and develop your own style. that will tell you what type or brand is best for you. one will like one brand and think it's the best an another would like a different an also think it's the best. and so on. that's mybe why there are so many different brands. we all have different taste. the most inportent thing i found is to keep painting every day. there is this guy that painted with crayons. when you look at is portraits and painting you would think they were great oil painting some like photo. and thats what he did till he died. painted only with crayons. there is no one way or right way. read, watch vidios, take lessons and everyone here will always bend over backwards to help you. hope this helps some what.

Thanks Pete! This is great information. As you may have guessed I am new at this. I only started with pastels in October last year, and Oil Painting about 2 years ago. My thing is really the oils, but I took a drawing class and the only medium I could used that I tried and really enjoyes was the pastels. I fell in love with them!

Having said that I do not have as much time to paint as I would like, but I am determined to at least the monthly challenges, so I can keep on my toes.

I really appreciate your words and advise. I need to absorbe as much learning as I can!!!!

Maria

gakinme
01-15-2010, 12:37 AM
Jose, your piece is spectacular. Incredibly lively colors and the tree limbs seem to be reaching into the pix! Great job!!!

robertsloan2
01-15-2010, 05:42 AM
Jose, that is magnificent! You really did raise the bar for the whole challenge, that's incredible. The background is so clear and gorgeous, I like the way the light is pouring through everything and the rich colors. Yep, I can see Charlie's influence in it just as I'm striving to get that technique! Love your live oak scene. I feel as if I was right there.

Pete, that's interesting. I love my Richesons but I've only ever used them on Colourfix. When I bought the primers I got pretty much unlimited sanded paper so haven't bothered doing much on plain paper any more. I'm going to have to test mine on my sketchbook to see how they handle for sketching.

I know that my Conte Color sticks are wonderful on plain white sketch paper and what I grab first when I want to just sketch. Those might be a better semi-hard pastel for you if your Richesons don't work for it. Then again it may be a difference in how I handle them. I'll find out when I sketch with the Richesons on plain paper. Now you've got me curious!

Yay for your new Great Americans, they sounded good. Everyone who's posted about them likes them. I like the way the different sets are themed to different artists' palettes and think there's at least one that's set up mostly for colourist works. Which set did you get?

I love Mount Visions. For years and years I wanted the big wood box Sennelier set but now I'm thinking of getting a different brand's full range when I save up for a big full range wood box set. Pastels are an addiction. Can't wait to see what you do with the Great Americans.

Maria, that's awesome you prefer to work that big. I have some trouble working larger than 9" x 12" -- partly because I like to scan what I paint and my scanner bed doesn't do anything bigger than that. Partly because when I get over 8" x 10" it's harder to finish a painting. Even the 9" x 12" ones sometimes go halfway and then I don't finish it. Each their own.

I bet if I worked looser I could work larger though. Might want to try sometime.

chuas2
01-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Jose, yours is spectacular! So inviting! I want to be there! NOW!

Maria, when I started with pastels I also posted about the rock hard sticks, etc. I've discovered I LOVE these. Snapped into bits, you can do ultra fine detail and line work (if that suits your work). I did switch my range of dark darks to Schmincke if I want them super soft. You'll also find these hard ones work fine on the sanded papers. Just not on Canson or Colourfix.

PETE K
01-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Hi Robert, I did try my Richeson on sketch pad and they did seem all that bad on it. but i know on my paper they did work out. so i guess i'll use them up on doing quick sketches. i still like my newpastels even if they say they have lightfast issues. all pastels do just have to stay away from the colours that do. I pick up a set of Gallery semi hard going back a while ago. on sale 120 stcks for 59.00 in a wood box set. they are quite soft for a semi hard. i like them for sketches and other applacations. and work very well for my uses of them. i have bought so many pastel pencils that i found i don't really care for any of them. they seem to take off more colours layers then they put on.

the Great Americans I really like them. may just have to order a few more sticks to add to what i have already. Oh God like i don't have enought already. well have a good day and get some sleep. i see you have been all over last night. and still going.

SunFace
01-15-2010, 02:54 PM
jOSE, I forgot tomention that your piece is so awesome! I hope one that I can do some rendrerings like that!

CHUAS, thanks for the info. I will try pieces as you mention. I am still experimenting with pastels.

ROBERT I find for me that the smaller the piece is the harder it becomes! So you must be really good at it! :D

robertsloan2
01-16-2010, 12:52 AM
Pete, that's interesting. I haven't tried them on Canson yet but I have tried them in my sketchbook and they were fine in that. I wondered if it was something about how I handled them or that I was used to hard pastels and their feel. They felt a lot like the NuPastels.

Some of the colors were interesting. I charted them and some that looked like midtones were actually quite light tints on paper, like maybe they lacquer the sticks the way Sanford does and that sometimes changes the color. I'll have to get used to that.

I'll try them for Canson sketching next, I still have a lot of it in three pads. I really like hard pastels sometimes, it depends on what I'm doing whether I want to use hard ones or soft ones. I'm beginning to really enjoy having a good range in three different groups.

The big box is a little inconvenient for quick sketching though, so I'll bet I use up my Conte color sticks faster. If I'm having a semi-bad day and just want to do an easy sketch, I want something that's already in reach and small enough to just grab. But for underlayers on painting I love having the big range.

I've also got sample Cretacolor and Polychromos sticks to test too now in the greens sampler, so if I like the texture I might expand a little more, fill out some colors that aren't in the Richesons set.

Saw your painting with the GA set in Studio and commented on it there, amazing what you did with the Southwest Landscape set. Nothing at all like a desert!

Chuas, I'm exactly the reverse. The smaller a piece is, painting or drawing, the easier it is for me and the more likely I'll be able to finish it. Around 9" x 12" any interruption can turn it into a left aside for months or years WIP. I make a big mess when it's not something small in my lap, tend to lean on the art and get my arms covered in color, drop things, don't manage to finish all the layers.

But some of that, a lot of it is adapting to mobility limits and general weakness. If I don't get exhausted while painting it's fun.

SunFace
01-16-2010, 06:15 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2010/70184-Garden-Gnome.jpg
Garden Gnome
2 1/2" x 3 1/2"
Cretacolor pastel pencils and Richeson semi-hard pastels
Cream Stonehenge paper.

Fooling around looking for something neat to paint this morning, I came back and noticed the gnome. Why not mess around with color and see what I can do to create neutrals from brights the way Charlie does? So I decided to do the gnome small with pastel pencils.

He must have brought me luck because while I was working on him, Karl came upstairs with a honking big box from Blick. My new set of 120 Richesons arrived when I had the gnome about half done and the background blank, so I used the Richesons for all the background textures and some details on the gnome too. I love these pastels.

Thanks for hosting, Pete! You put up some great photos! I still want to do that fantastic live oak too, but this was a happy little surprise today, as much for me as anyone else.

Robert I did not noticed your gnome before!
I was thinking about painting this gnome (Although I worry because he looks so mischievous) and noticed your painting.

I absolutely love the line work. It seems like brush strokes with pastels. Now I understand why you like your paper with a good surface!

robertsloan2
01-17-2010, 12:41 AM
Thank you! Yep. I started getting fascinated with good papers a few years ago, for both pastels and colored pencils. Then getting involved here got me hooked on sanded papers and I wound up going even farther with it. When you try them, you'll find out just how limiting the cheaper papers are.

It's ironic but the best supplies actually make it easier for beginners while it takes an expert to do something great on a cheaper paper or with cheaper supplies.

Mary Y
01-17-2010, 06:02 AM
I have had very little time to look at this thread but hope to have more time this week.
Her are my orange slices.Advice on how to make them more realistic would be much appreciated.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2010/100777-orange.JPG

robertsloan2
01-17-2010, 12:32 PM
Nice detail, Mary! These oranges are lovely. The only suggestion I have to improve them is to look close at the reference for the shape and color of the shadows the slices cast. There's one spot where it looks ilke you worked around a shadow on the left and then forgot to put in the dark.

PETE K
01-17-2010, 02:46 PM
well i'm trying to post inbetween customers. being that i'm working the gallery istarted this almost 2 hrs ago. lets see if i could finish it this time.

Mary, your orange slices look very nice here. i think what Robert is saying is the little high lighted spot bottom left. i think it could use a little mor darks in there.mayby beep blue or a deep purple. and just pull it out. a cupple of dots and daxhes in the fruit part of the orange would give it it's juicy look. hop this helps.

WOW! i made it through.

PETE K
01-17-2010, 03:05 PM
Ok Here's mu version of the gmone, 12/9 .as y'all could cee i'm not good with people. big or little people.:D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2010/131537-100_1913wc.jpg

chuas2
01-17-2010, 04:29 PM
Good to know there's something you can't do, although I'd beg to differ. Your gnome looks great, and looks like he's just waiting to make some magic happen!

robertsloan2
01-17-2010, 04:41 PM
Pete, your gnome is great! I like his happy expression. The gnome is difficult, he's a sculpture and he hasn't got as much depth to his features as a person would. Or resolution. It's really tricky. Love the purple mushrooms in the grass, those are so cool!

PETE K
01-17-2010, 05:36 PM
Chuas, thanks but i don't even knowwhat i'm doing in most of my painitngs. i see what i want to do and just go fo it. most of the time it works out. ok and than some times it works out great. never know whats going to happen. thats the fun about it.

Robert, still it's the shapes and some what the features are the problem i think. need to work on them a lot more.

Mary Y
01-17-2010, 10:17 PM
Peter I love your gnome .
Thank you Robert and Pete will try your suggestions.

Jose beautiful oak tree such lovely colours in the painting.

Ron,Judy and Judi, great gnomes.

Ronnie I love your combo.

Ruth and Chuas very nice oaks.

Sunface,Deaglan,Sukye and Sandra nice juicy oranges. (I think mine were in the sun too long)

I hope I have not missed anyone.
Mary

juliajane
01-18-2010, 04:50 AM
Looking on here for the first time, I am absolutely amazed by all these beautiful images!

I don't think I'll make this month's but might join in next as I'm having difficulty getting used to the pastels.

PETE K
01-18-2010, 10:36 AM
Mary thank you.

Juliajane, Welcome to the Pastels Strokes and the WC. this a place for learning and to have fun. I and others would be more than happy to help get you through the difficulties you are having. what medium do you normaly paint in?

gakinme
01-18-2010, 03:55 PM
Chuas, I laughed when I read your comment. Pete, your landscapes are superb but I am now consoled that you feel you are weak in people drawing big or small. :lol: :lol: But your gnome is cute nevertheless. The grass in the background has your magic touch definitely. Did you do this to make me feel better today for not getting anywhere good with soft pastels yet? :evil:

Good to know there's something you can't do, although I'd beg to differ. Your gnome looks great, and looks like he's just waiting to make some magic happen!

SunFace
01-18-2010, 06:17 PM
Ok, so I finally played with this gnome ... I was wayching TV and probably rushed through it again, as I was done in about 30 minutes.:o

PETE K
01-18-2010, 08:13 PM
Sandra, we all can't be great in everything. people are not my strong point. but thanks for the fine comment anyway.

Hi Calartist, and welcome. i dont really know. you could try and do a search. and i'm going to see if i could get someone to move this to Pastel Talk where there are others that may be able to help you. hanks for joining.

Ok Sunface, i see your trying to beat me. and watch tv jet. you sure did a great job on him. i do love what you did and in that short time. WOW!:clap:

gakinme
01-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Sunface, love the grumpy gnome you got there. Just perfect pose, perfect expression of, "Where's my dinner?".

Now I'm inspired to do one more.

robertsloan2
01-19-2010, 12:16 AM
Sunface, your gnome is great. "Whattaya looking at?" just seems like the right caption. So lively! I like the simplified background too, keeps focus on his face.

juliajane
01-19-2010, 01:23 AM
Thank you for the welcome Pete.

I have done quite a bit of drawing with most mediums: charcoal, graphite, ink, conte etc. I only moved into pastels a few months ago as I like the immediacy and freshness of drawing and the vibrancy and emotional impact of colour. Still, I tend to fall back into working tonally.

I have done some painting, all in acrylics, but am hoping to get into an oil painting class this year.

Although I should be working on a picture for my Dad, I have put it aside to work on your gnome, so I hope he is flattered by the attention! :)

PETE K
01-19-2010, 02:29 AM
Juliajane, your quite welcome. seeing you have painted with all those mediums pastels shouldn't be hard at all. i kind of know what you mean. i had 35 yr B/w film photography. did alot of charcoal pen and ink years back now i love pastels and find myself thinking in the tones of gray and trying to put colour to it. well you have seen my grone. not much to talk about. i found comming from oil's i ended up getting hooked on pastels.

can't wait to see your grone.

juliajane
01-19-2010, 06:46 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2010/140757-Picture_750.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2010/140757-Picture_751.jpg

Well, here is my gnome. What I need is an "undo" button to undo that noisy background! Eek! :eek: Looks like I threw the whole pallette at it!

My 7 year old daughter, Caitlin, wanted to participate so she did one in oil pastels.

juliajane
01-19-2010, 07:05 AM
Well, here is my Live Oak. 9x12 on Wallis.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jan-2010/159973-Old_Oak_Tree-IMG_0990.jpg Brilliant! Is that will oil pastels?

Mary Y
01-19-2010, 09:23 AM
Pete, Sunface and Juliajane great gnomes.

Pete your mushrooms and grasses are lovely your gnome looks very relaxed.
Sunface I love the expression on your gnomes face,
Juliajane Your gnome looks pleased, must be because he is on a lovely colourful piece of ground . I like how Caitlin put hers in the clouds great idea.

Mary

robertsloan2
01-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Juliajane, your gnome is great! So is Caitlin's in her way, she reminds me of Sascha and has a lot of detail in hers.

If you don't like the busy background, maybe turning a piece of a brown or blue stick on its side and scumbling over it would smooth it out. You can always reestablish some of the grasses over it.

PETE K
01-19-2010, 02:16 PM
hi juiliajane, you did a very nice job on this and so did your daughter. see pasteld aren't that hard. the face on the grome is just great! may i add tho most of your values are close to each other in tone. if you would add some deep darks to add contrest your piece would look fantastic. i find if i'm wanting to change an area. and the pastels won't stick. (adding more layers) a Mr. Clean Magic eraser takes off quite a bit of the pastels. just have to be careful not to let it all run over what you want and make it muddy. i hope this helps. can't wait to see more of your works.
Jose's piece is soft pastels. doesn't it look great?

Mary, thank you ever so much.

juliajane
01-19-2010, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the comments, guys. I see what you mean about the values. Will have another look at that if I get a chance. Caitlin was happy to see her name up here :)

gakinme
01-20-2010, 12:21 AM
Juliejane, I like your gnome piece. A very good perspective you gave it and I actually like the busy background. Looks like you have a little budding artist there! Good job, Caitlin. Ask your mom for some pastels to try next time.

Alright, you all could laugh all you want.

Robert and Terry have been telling me about the complementary colors people use underneath to give their paintings a zing. So I was bold enough to color your grandson, Pete, in all blue in General's Pastel Chalk Pencils thinking that it would be a great complementary color to orange. Well...it turned green. ROFL.

I mean, I know blue and yellow gives green but I didn't realize pastels chalk pencils mix so well and not just slide on top. Oivay...a green grandkid for you unfortunately. So I gave him elf ears and gnome hat and a fuzzy sweater. Didn't know how else to salvage it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Academie Heavyweight Sketchbook 8.5 x 11 inch
General's Pastel Chalk Pencils for face and hat
Loew Cornell soft pastel sticks for clothes

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2010/86669-pastelchalk_elf.jpg

PETE K
01-20-2010, 02:13 AM
Sandra, what a laugh i had on this on. you made my night. at first i thought it was Peter Pan. I think you salvaged it quite well. wait till i show him after school tomarrow. i'll bet he will come out with WHAT THATS ME!. it turned out really nice after all. i'll give you credit for it. he does still kind of looks like him. and now you know they do mix very well. i haven't even atempted to try him yet. maybe in the next few days. and i don't even know if iwill post it. well see. not my strong point at all

robertsloan2
01-20-2010, 07:15 AM
Sandra, you got the likeness! It looks like him as a green elf in a costume, very cool.

One thing to remember in underpainting that Colorix keeps mentioning and I have to remember (so I'll mention it again to you!) -- use cool colors in all shadow areas and warm colors in sunlit areas. If you try that on the face it'll come out really well.

The orange sticks sometimes have a lot more yellow than red in them. I found out doing foliage in some of my recent landscapes that dashing in orange highlights turns into nice light foliage greens that are more jazzy than just using a lighter green.

One thing that worked well on portraits in colored pencils was to do the face with a bright orange underpainting, shading down from that in the shadows and up from it in the highlights. The analogous bright underpainting can work very well. Going for violet in the shadows and orange in the lit areas can build up to some good skin tones when you start using browns, pink, peach and white on top, it's something that works well in mediums that mix with what's under them.

Great likeness though. I thought the subject might get a kick out of it!

gakinme
01-20-2010, 12:27 PM
Pete, I'm glad you got a laugh out of this because I definitely enjoyed creating the accessories thereafter.

And I need to clarify that this concoction was totally my own and Robert and Terry are not terrible teachers as I made them to appear last night. LOL. My experiments often are just that...experiments after reading something with half comprehension...so it's the shadow area that needs to have the cool colors and not the whole face. (roll eyes) Alright, next time, it'll be more pink. Aieesh...suddenly, I'm thinking about drawing a pink elephant. hehe...

PETE K
01-20-2010, 04:26 PM
Hi Sandra, my grandson said that not me. my wife and i says it's a great likeness of him. even tho he's green and pointed ear's.
and i just had another laugh thinking of him as a pink elephant lol.

robertsloan2
01-20-2010, 09:25 PM
Sandra, I never did explain about "orange into blue makes great bright greens" and that really was an important omission. Especially since I've been experimenting with it so much in landscapes on purpose to get those strong jazzy greens in foliage! Purple seems to blend up into shadow colors on people better than blue or green.

Some medieval art writing suggests doing shadows on people in green and their highlights in pink, but it's a very muted green when they did. Also these were Italian painters and olive complexions do have a slight green cast in the shadows - but that'd be greenish brown, not the foliage greens.

Part of the trick with doing the colourist thing of "cool colors in shadows, warm in lights" is to choose the cool color that's closest to what you want the final version to be. Blue is the coldest color there is. A blue that leans toward violet would be easier to mute into a skin tone. Green, it'd have to be pretty muted to start with.

But orange works great as underpainting for skin tones overall. If you did "values of orange" you'd have a very warm skin tone.

jmcedeno
01-20-2010, 09:33 PM
Brilliant! Is that will oil pastels?

Julia, thank you for your lovely comment, the painting is a 9x12 soft pastel on wallis sanded pastel paper. If you would like to see more of my pastels and oil pastel work please go to my website below my signature.

gakinme
01-21-2010, 12:39 AM
Pete, Robert, I did these two at work.

I followed your advice, Robert, and put canary yellow down and then violet for shadows and flesh, brown, pink and white all over. I got the skin tone!!! But unfortunately, this is your grandson 20 years from now. :p

And since I couldn't put away the thought of a pink elephant, I did one for you too.

General's Pastel Chalk pencils
Academie Heavyweight Sketchbook 8.5 x 11 inch

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2010/86669-pastelchalk_pete1.jpg

When I got home, after dinner, I took the time to play with my pan pastel set. And hopefully, this is more like your grandson.

Pan Pastel - burnt sienna tint, titanium white, permanent red, hansa yellow, violet, red iron oxide
General's Pastel chalk - violet for details
Academie Heavyweight sketchbook 8.5 x 11 inch 3/4 page

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2010/86669-pan_pete1_orig.jpg

Robert, thanks for the pointers on not using foliage green on the face. Have I tried using that so many times and of course I have very green beings.

From the way you describe it, the muted colors of Derwent Graphitint Pencils and Derwent Drawing Pencils probably have all the right hues for making skin tone. And for pan pastels, the Drawing set of 10 and the Painting set of 10 gives all these mixes perfectly.

robertsloan2
01-21-2010, 01:21 AM
Yay, you got your skin tones the way you wanted them! So glad my pointers were useful, thank you.

Yes, the Derwent Drawing Pencils are especially good for skin tones. I used them for that constantly, just shading up the earth tones with white on the original six colors till I got the bigger set. Graphitints are good too, but will have that "graphite drawing" look and be more muted and grayish-silvery.

Like the way you aged him to adult in the first one. The canary yellow/violet underpainting worked well! Love the pink elephant. The final one is the best likeness so far -- you really got his skin tones well with those Pan Pastels.

I knew the Drawing Set would grow on you and with the Painters you've got what you need for pretty much anything you usually paint. Pans are a lot of fun on plain paper, they're almost like dry watercolor sometimes.

PETE K
01-21-2010, 07:39 PM
Sandra, love them he does look older in the first. and the pink elephent. looks great also. you have captured his sly look very good! my computer didn't let me know that i had a new post and i thought that Roberts post was from before. i'm going to have to look in even if it daesn't show anything new. great work on my Grandson.

gakinme
01-22-2010, 12:34 AM
Thank you, Pete, for your comments. I'm glad you recognize your grandson. Hehe.... I gave you so many versions it could be a bit confusing.

Robert, now I understand what you mean by dry watercolor with pan pastels. It's so translucent sometimes.

dolphinfire
01-22-2010, 03:31 PM
This is the first painting I have done in 5 years. I was really sick for quite awhile. I have two non life threatening, but very painful diseases and other health issues and have spent most of my time getting better. I am thankful to finally be able to draw again. I had a lot of fun with this. Any and all criticism will be very helpful. I know I am out of practice.

PETE K
01-22-2010, 06:20 PM
well Hi Judi, welcome to Pastel Strokes and WC. glad to have you here. i'm also glad that you were able to get to start painting again. the gnomes are looking great for your first in a long time. my only nit pic would be to add a little more darks and some shadows in the mushrooms. other than that very nice.:thumbsup: hope to see more of your works here and in the gallery.:clap:

dolphinfire
01-22-2010, 07:34 PM
well Hi Judi, welcome to Pastel Strokes and WC. glad to have you here. i'm also glad that you were able to get to start painting again. the gnomes are looking great for your first in a long time. my only nit pic would be to add a little more darks and some shadows in the mushrooms. other than that very nice.:thumbsup: hope to see more of your works here and in the gallery.:clap:

Thank You very much.

Jodi

robertsloan2
01-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Judi, welcome to the forum! This is looking good -- I'm glad you recovered enough to be able to paint again, that must have been nightmarish when you couldn't. I feel for you with chronic pain issues, since I'm also disabled and have fibromyalgia. Hopefully what you've got can someday be cured or at least lived with, so glad you got your painting back!

The gnomes look good. Agree with Pete about the shadows and values, but even so they look good right at the start! I like the way you captured the hue of the sculpture itself for the mushrooms.

Mary Y
01-23-2010, 05:36 AM
Sandra I like your various takes of Pete's grandson.

Jodi, your gnome and mushrooms look great.
Mary

dolphinfire
01-23-2010, 08:19 AM
I have fibro as well along with a bladder disease called interstitial cystitis. I currently have a pace maker for the bladder which helps. No more going to the bathroom every 10 min. I am very thankful to be painting again. I feel like I am finally getting back to my old self.

Mary Y
01-23-2010, 08:27 PM
Hi,
Pete here is my take on your gnome.I left out the BG as the first one I tried became very untidy.C&C appreciated.
Mary

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jan-2010/100777-GN.JPG

Dark green Canson mostly Winsor/newton and rembrants.

PETE K
01-23-2010, 10:24 PM
Mary, thjis is my second time replying, for some unknown reaon the computer locked up and i couldn'y do a thing but shut it off manualy. so let's see if i could make it through this time.

Love what you did here and it's even better becaous you used the Canson riff side. try the back smooth side less pits. and i sand my smooth side with sandpaper. everyone will tell you to get good paper. i think mi-teintes is great paper. this is all depends on who you talk to about it. and your style.

Now love the background very nicely done leaveing it blank the dark colour lets the gnome and mushrooms stand out excelently. well done.

Vivien Maloney
01-24-2010, 01:05 AM
Wow! You guys have been busy while I've been away on holiday! Some great work here and welcome to all new members. I love the different interpretations on the photos - especially the gnomes and the Oak tree. I may not get time to do a pastel this month, but love everyones work and will post if I can before the end of the month. Cheers!

Mary Y
01-24-2010, 02:21 AM
Thanks Pete.
I didn't like Mi Teintes rough side until I did a few landscapes in Deborah's October Challenge and then decided it has it's uses.I am going to sand the smooth side and try it.

Vivien looking forward to seeing your post this month.
Mary

robertsloan2
01-24-2010, 11:42 AM
Mary, your gnome looks fantastic. Especially for using the rough side, getting fine detail on the rough side is an exercise in subtlety and implied detail. I use the smooth side unless I really want some texture for something with a lot of broken color (and very little detail). I love the tops of the mushrooms, those are very striking. Gnome himself is perfect in his proportions. Well done!

Judi, owww that interstitial cystitis. Glad you were able to get that under control, that'd be maddening. Fibro bites, but as you're probably finding out, painting does a whole lot to beat down the symptoms. There are times for me when doing happy landscapes is as good as taking an extra pain pill. So glad you're getting your life back!

PETE K
01-25-2010, 01:41 AM
Viv, you still ave a whole week. still have time.

Mary, thank you. I haven't painted on a sanded paper for a while now. I even just ordered another 20 sheets of Mi-teintes Champagne. I don't know if the large sheets are the same as the smaller one tho. I haven't bought a pad or small sheets for quite some time now. I think the large sheets have a coating on both sides that helps the colour to stick better. not totaly sure tho. maybe some one knows what i'm thinking of or trying to say. well i sure would like if your could post the results of your try and let me know what you think of it. thank you.

dsoc
01-26-2010, 05:19 PM
I fancied trying a quick b/w sketch of the gnome.

18 x 14 cm on grey Ingres.
Conté Pastel Pencils Black & White

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jan-2010/13261-Gnome_BW.JPG

I will try it in colour later.

Déaglán

PETE K
01-26-2010, 07:59 PM
Deaglan, this is very good, i love black and white. now i can't wait to see it in colour also. i just know it will look great.

Vivien Maloney
01-26-2010, 08:07 PM
Here's my version of the Gnomb photo. I couldn't resist adding another gnomb and 2 more Toadstools - I did have fun doing this painting!
8in x 12in, a selection of soft pastels and pastel pencils. Done on Fabriano Pastel paper (because I wanted to draw fairly carefully and needed a smoother paper).
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jan-2010/196305-img063.jpg

C & Cs welcome and aprreciated.

PETE K
01-26-2010, 08:17 PM
Viv, I know you would make it. and what a fantastic job you did here it's great. the addition of the extra gnome and the mushroos are really impressive. love it. i see you use Fabriano paper also. i like it a lot too. love your colours you used here.

Vivien Maloney
01-27-2010, 12:30 AM
Thanks Pete, I had great fun doing these "gnomes". I have several in my garden and they all seem to have different personalities. Thanks for hosting and your photo references were great! The new "Spotlight" which will replace Pastel Strokes sounds wonderful, so I will definitely be checking it out on 01 February, but I have had a great time entering the "Pastel Strokes", every month, so thanks heaps.

SunFace
01-27-2010, 01:17 PM
Vivien those are beautiful!

Maria

Mary Y
01-27-2010, 07:16 PM
Deaglan,
your black and white sketch is very good.I am looking forward to seeing your next in colour.

Vivien
I love how you added to Pete's picture.I like the glow on the mushrooms and the Gnome on the move.
Mary

Vivien Maloney
01-28-2010, 02:14 AM
Maria and Mary Y; thanks for your comments, I'm glad you liked my version of Pete's original photo. It was great fun doing it.

jmcedeno
01-28-2010, 01:37 PM
Vivien, (clever girl) what a delightful composition you've come up with, superb!

chuas2
01-28-2010, 01:51 PM
Déaglán, love your black and white sketch, especially your treatment of the toadstools!

Vivien, what a delight, and gave me a reason to smile on a not-so-smiley morning!
Chuas

gakinme
01-28-2010, 06:12 PM
Deaglan, looking forward to see your color version.

Viv, very cute gnome you added. It really liven the scene up. Good colors too.

Mary, very good toadstools!

I too have decided Canson Mi-Teintes is not so bad afterall.

PETE K
01-28-2010, 08:05 PM
Now Sandra, does that mean your comming around to my paper? I find it all what you want to do with it. it doe have some very good points to it. like most papers they all hve there good and bad points. no one paper is right for every applacation.

gakinme
01-28-2010, 11:23 PM
Ah....I managed to fill up the holes with pan pastels and so it's not that bad. Didn't even have to sand it down. I know I have been hating this paper for the longest time.

PETE K
01-29-2010, 10:39 AM
Sandra, i just got part of an order in today. and it was 10 more sheets of it appx. 19 1/2 x 24

Emma Llewelyn
01-29-2010, 10:42 PM
Nice work guys! It seems I'm a bit late for this months, I stumbled across it for the first time today. Will there be one next month?

PETE K
01-29-2010, 11:07 PM
Emma, Welcome and glad you stumbled by. the answer to your question is No and Yes. The Pastel Strokes will be stopping and the Spotlight is going to take it's place. it will still be pretty much the same tho. check out the spotlight below this thread and it will give more info on it.

jpkoel
01-30-2010, 01:38 PM
I have take two pastel workshops...about thirty hours of class time so far. This is my first pastel painting outside of a workshop (ie I didn't have my mentor standing over my shoulder :) ) I used my brand-new 120 half stick set of senneliers on wallis paper. It took me about an hour and a half and I am sure I could have put more time into it, but I was really excited to post something!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jan-2010/210916-January_Oranges.jpg

PETE K
01-30-2010, 02:13 PM
Hi jpkoel, Welcome to the Pastel Strokes. I'm glad you made it. and i do remember my first post also couldn't wait either.you sure did great for your first solo. very nice use of colour in hare. May i suggest adding a few dots and dashes of cream or some light colour in the oranges to give a sence of jucyness. but still it's sure great! love it. it's all comming back to you now i see.

gakinme
01-31-2010, 09:45 AM
jpkoel, what a beautiful piece. The play of colors are so cheery yet integrated.

Pete, thanks for hosting this month. I had so much fun doing my first pastel challenge.

Mary Y
01-31-2010, 10:07 AM
jpkoel,
your oranges are very nice and I like the colours in the back ground.

Pete,
Thank you very much for hosting the Pastel strokes i enjoyed your pictures .
Mary

PETE K
01-31-2010, 07:28 PM
I sure hope everyone had a great time doing the Last Pastel Strokes with me. as I had hosting it. Y'all were great and thank Y'all so much for joining in. Sandra and Mary thank you ever so much. hope we could do it again another time. best wishes to everyone. and thanks again!

chuas2
01-31-2010, 10:28 PM
Pete, I thanked you in the wrong thread (Jan's Goal thread), so here it is again.

Thank you for hosting January (my first full month as a member of WC)! You were so inspirational, in many ways.

See you in the Spotlight!
Chuas

PETE K
02-01-2010, 01:50 AM
Hay Girl, i'm glad your in the right thread now. thank you ever so much. and keep on painting. you have grown so much in your first month. congratulations. still need to find the right thread tho. LOL. thank you!

SunFace
02-01-2010, 02:34 PM
jpkoel Those oranges are gorgeous!

dsoc
02-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Thank you to all who commented on my efforts. The encouragment in this thread is fantastic. Looking at the different perspectives of the same subject is a lesson in itself.

Well done to all.

A special thanks to Pete for hosting. Those photos certainly stretched my ability.

Deaglan

PETE K
02-02-2010, 02:39 AM
Deaglan, I would love to give you a special thanks for your participateing. i enjoyed you being here. thank you.

jmcedeno
02-04-2010, 02:16 PM
I sure hope everyone had a great time doing the Last Pastel Strokes with me. as I had hosting it. Y'all were great and thank Y'all so much for joining in. Sandra and Mary thank you ever so much. hope we could do it again another time. best wishes to everyone. and thanks again!

Pete, thank you for hosting the January Pastel Strokes. Now, is there going to be one for February? I've been checking the Forum I can't find it.

SunFace
02-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Jose,

Why don't you start it? I have been looking too!!!

PETE K
02-05-2010, 01:18 AM
Hi Jose and Sunface, the Sptolight has taken the place of the Pastel Strokes. it's still very much the same. just different name. you need stop by to check it out. i think y'all will like it.

SunFace
02-05-2010, 11:10 PM
Thanks PETE, I just noticed!

jmcedeno
02-06-2010, 01:39 PM
Jose,

Why don't you start it? I have been looking too!!!

Sunface, thank you for your suggestion, I wouldn't mind doing it in the future but I have no idea of what to do, I know very little about working with computers in general, much less when I have to handle downloading images, and the little I know I have learned it here on WC.

Shirl Parker
02-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Here is the link to the NEW Pastel Strokes, now called The Spotlight (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605784).

SunFace
02-08-2010, 12:21 AM
Sunface, thank you for your suggestion, I wouldn't mind doing it in the future but I have no idea of what to do, I know very little about working with computers in general, much less when I have to handle downloading images, and the little I know I have learned it here on WC.

Oh Jose is OK! My husband is just like you, I have to do everything for him on the computer!

I am glad is posted and look forward to seeing your paintings. They are usually AWESOME!

Maria