PDA

View Full Version : January 2010 Oil Pastel Monthly Challenge!

Pages : [1] 2

robertsloan2
12-31-2009, 11:41 PM
Welcome to the first challenge of the new year -- I've got a great challenge lined up and three beautiful references from the RIL to share. First, the references along with the links to where you can get larger versions in the RIL:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Dec-2009/70184-WC-1-2010-OP-Challenge-Gardenias-MonicaB.JPG
Gardenias by MonicaB
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=73934

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Dec-2009/70184-WC-1-2010-OP-Challenge-Sheldon-horse-Naomi21.jpg
Sheldon by Naomi21
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=75137

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Dec-2009/70184-WC-1-2010-OP-Challenge-Appalachian-Trail-RhiannonJ.jpg
Appalachian Trail by RhiannonJ
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=26954

Now the challenge! So many challenges suggest that you go outside your comfort zone trying new techniques, styles, materials or subjects. Let's turn that inside out! The first challenge of 2010 is Master your Comfort Zone!

Choose the reference or references that are closest to your favorite subjects -- if you love doing people, then do a self portrait or include a figure in the landscape or with the horse or put the gardenia in a lovely woman's hair. Use your favorite oil pastels. Use your best techniques. Play to your strengths... and strive to do something better than you've ever done with those familiar strengths!

That's subtle, isn't it? Use all your favorite things but try to surpass everything you've done before with them. Find out just how much you improved stretching your limits on all those other projects and join me in the Comfort Zone -- picture a squashy armchair, purring lap cat, friendly dog at your feet and fireplace blazing while you work along with hot cocoa/tea/coffee at your side and adoring fans worshiping your every stroke quietly so as not to interfere.

Enjoy!

kazuki
01-01-2010, 12:07 AM
Wonderful challenge, Robert. And great photos.:clap: :clap: :clap:

And thanks for hosting. It's going to be a great month and happy new year to all of us!

GOSH
01-01-2010, 03:01 AM
Happy New 2010

:clap: :wave:

Thank you for hosting this months challenge, robert:thumbsup:
...Now...how do I post a picture....:music:

truck driver
01-01-2010, 05:18 AM
Robert you are evil. A white rose on A white background. ???

A horse

and a misty mountain trail....

Hmmm... let the fun commence..

RG

truck driver
01-01-2010, 05:26 AM
I Should also take the tiime to warn you, who your host is for febuary, meaning I now have a whole month to threaten, and coherce, manipulate and otherwise harrass you all, about the febuary challenge...

RG

GOSH
01-01-2010, 06:19 AM
Gee, RG...what's so evil about that?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2010/143278-SSPX1024.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2010/143278-SSPX1027.jpg

OK, two pictures: one before I added the foliage, I should have just left it alone. I think I fiddled with it too much.
12"x9", cheapo blue background paper, white senn, indigo holbein, lime green holbein, green senn, black senn and chromium green senn. Just used fingers to push color around as lightly as I could.

Pat Isaac
01-01-2010, 08:43 AM
Thanks for hosting, Robert. Great images.
Wow you are fast, Gosh. I like the addition of the foliage.

Pat

SammyH
01-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Robert, what great images!!! How wise you are to encourage people to work in their comfort zone. What could be more productive? This will be a good month for challenges.
GOSH, you captured the misty feel of that woodland scene.

halthepainter
01-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Robert, love your selection of images. I may give all three a try if I can make the time.

I love the misty forest scene and may do that one straight. :thumbsup:

or some demons peeking around some trees.

truck driver
01-01-2010, 09:53 AM
Robert, love your selection of images. I may give all three a try if I can make the time.

Umm how else would you do it, crooked? twisted somehow?

hey I couldnt help it I was stuck at 999 posts, and had to harass somebody.

so hey..... you win ..

RG

robertsloan2
01-01-2010, 10:04 AM
Yay GOSH! Jumping in right on the first! Whoohoo! I love your misty Appalachian Trail. The foliage is fantastic. I'm glad you didn't just leave it -- it looked great before but after you added the foliage and the last tweaks in the trees it snapped to magnificent. I love it. I also love the soft-edged way that you captured the light, this really is a reference about light and you've caught it so perfectly.

Awww RG, what are you going to stick me with? A cat, a blue flower, a floral still life? I can hope. Of course you could always combine all that to get a blue cat in spilled flowers still life chasing fruit out of the bowl.

Gee in retrospect I should have put in a blue flower. But the white gardenia on mid value neutral background just grabbed me, the perfect showoffy subject for anyone who knows how to do White Things and interesting challenge to anyone who wants to try White Things.

Gardenias have this very strong odor I liked. My grandmother had one as a little kid and I found out it was a ten dollar flower from the florist's, very rare and much fancier than the roses it resembled. I thought it was for "more smell." Then I moved to New Orleans as an adult and had an entire row of bushes of them blooming not far from my apartment.

All at once.

I could've really cleaned up if I had a time machine and transporter for those, running them back to the 1960s and incidentally up north where they don't grow. But the scent of an entire bush of them was heady, that was like almost passing out from perfume, but natural without any perfume scents just the actual flower.

halthepainter
01-01-2010, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by halthepainter

Umm how else would you do it, crooked? twisted somehow?

hey I couldnt help it I was stuck at 999 posts, and had to harass somebody.

so hey..... you win ..

RG

Oh, I don't know, I might have done it in analogous red viloets, red and red oranges. Even an headless horseman in the middle of the lane would be neat. :evil:

How about demons slinking through the trees, or a dark night scene with glowing eyes showing in the darkness.

RG, congratulations on achieving Minion status. I expect a much greater seriousness and less flipancy now. :lol: :lol:

bchlvr
01-01-2010, 11:09 AM
Great references Robert!

Beautiful work on the misty forest Gosh.

kazuki
01-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Wow Gosh. You are real fast. Your misty forest looks great!!!

truck driver
01-01-2010, 11:46 AM
Yay GOSH! Jumping in right on the first! Whoohoo! I love your misty Appalachian Trail. The foliage is fantastic. I'm glad you didn't just leave it -- it looked great before but after you added the foliage and the last tweaks in the trees it snapped to magnificent. I love it. I also love the soft-edged way that you captured the light, this really is a reference about light and you've caught it so perfectly.

Awww RG, what are you going to stick me with? A cat, a blue flower, a floral still life? I can hope. Of course you could always combine all that to get a blue cat in spilled flowers still life chasing fruit out of the bowl.

Gee in retrospect I should have put in a blue flower. But the white gardenia on mid value neutral background just grabbed me, the perfect showoffy subject for anyone who knows how to do White Things and interesting challenge to anyone who wants to try White Things.

Gardenias have this very strong odor I liked. My grandmother had one as a little kid and I found out it was a ten dollar flower from the florist's, very rare and much fancier than the roses it resembled. I thought it was for "more smell." Then I moved to New Orleans as an adult and had an entire row of bushes of them blooming not far from my apartment.

All at once.

I could've really cleaned up if I had a time machine and transporter for those, running them back to the 1960s and incidentally up north where they don't grow. But the scent of an entire bush of them was heady, that was like almost passing out from perfume, but natural without any perfume scents just the actual flower.

Lets see, right now i'm toying with a couple of things, Mountains, Roses, Hands, I cant resist the temptation for lots of underused colours though.. preferably transparent, maybe something with some tricky perspective issues. Something that gets distorted by a camera.... who knows what I will come up with, in the meantime we have 3 great references to work with until I get all that figured out.

RG

pumkin54
01-01-2010, 05:56 PM
These are some fabulous ref photos. I'm gonna attempt the first one and then dream of the day when I'll feel skilled enough to attempt the third. Look forward to seeing everybody else's paintings! Thanks, Robert!

halthepainter
01-01-2010, 06:07 PM
Pumpkin, I missed you last month.

pumkin54
01-01-2010, 06:09 PM
I haven't been around much, and it feels good to know that somebody noticed! Thanks, Hal! :D One of my resolutions this year is to work more consistently on my art, and that means haunting Wet Canvas more frequently! :clap:

halthepainter
01-01-2010, 08:02 PM
I haven't been around much, and it feels good to know that somebody noticed! Thanks, Hal! :D :clap: co

Pumpkin is quite a memorable handle and I had hoped you would participate in the December Challenge.

Robert, I especially love the misty forest. It already has an analagous color scheme: green, blue green, blue with a hint of a pinkish complement in the sky. Wow, it's too perffect because I always like to change things but I love it as is. Darn, darn darn!!!:evil:

gakinme
01-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Robert, I was thinking of getting rid of all my Canson MT paper last night and thought the best way was to use oil pastel. Thank you for the beautiful photos. I don't do flowers but definitely I'm up for the other two. Even if I make a mess, I'll come back within this month with my trials! It's been so long I touched my OP's and I'm eager.

Pat Isaac
01-02-2010, 11:11 AM
Hi pumkin....:wave: nice to see you.

Pat

truck driver
01-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Welcome back pumkin :)

RG

robertsloan2
01-02-2010, 02:09 PM
co

Pumpkin is quite a memorable handle and I had hoped you would participate in the December Challenge.

Robert, I especially love the misty forest. It already has an analagous color scheme: green, blue green, blue with a hint of a pinkish complement in the sky. Wow, it's too perffect because I always like to change things but I love it as is. Darn, darn darn!!!:evil:

Hal, I know you'll find a special way to change it even if you're not changing the color harmony because you love it. You could always add a warm accent like a big golden dog trotting down that path.

hollyga
01-02-2010, 02:38 PM
Yeah, Robert, that's absolutely what Hal should do!!!

Holly

GOSH
01-02-2010, 10:16 PM

All at once.

I should have added a trillium and more moss all around.:wave:
Thanks everybody for the heads up.

gakinme
01-02-2010, 11:33 PM
GOSH, I like both of the version. The first one is like the night scenes we watch on Korean historical dramas where an ambush is about to take place and the second one has some storybook quality to it.

Here's my rendition of the horse on the dreaded patterned Strathmore Gray Scale Paper. Another 4 more sheets to go and I'm finished with the pack. Phew. It has patterns worse than Canson Mi-Teintes and I wonder after rubbing all those color into the holes, my fingerprints are still intact or not.

Pentel oil pastel
Cray-pas Junior oil pastel
Gallery Oil Pastel
Strathmore Gray Scale Paper 9x12 inch - white

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2010/86669-op_horse3.jpg

eyepaint
01-02-2010, 11:41 PM
Sandra - well done on the horse - proportions are great. Love the colours.

Speaking of colours, did I hear Robert suggest we stay within our comfort zone? Well that might inspire me to give one of these a go.... :)

robertsloan2
01-02-2010, 11:52 PM
Sandra, well done on the horse! He's amazing, you caught that difficult pose perfectly and his proportions are wonderful. All those other horse studies you were doing have really paid off here. Yay for using up the gray paper you hate, maybe you can get some more gray paper that you love, like Stonehenge. It's very smooth and wouldn't wear your fingers down, it's 90lb and all rag strong paper -- I should try it with OP, it's one of my favorite surfaces.

EP -- yes, stick to your comfort zone! Use your lovely primary palette Senns and forget the rest of the sticks you don't want to bother with. Enjoy! Do it your way!

kazuki
01-03-2010, 01:53 AM
Sandra, your horse is amazing. great work.

Scattykat
01-03-2010, 02:35 AM
great images there Robert, hope to come play...

Scattykat
01-03-2010, 02:41 AM
p.s. great work on the trees Gosh, lovely misty feel, the first one looks snowy. And Sandra, the horse is a peach, I love this ref, but cant imagine how to tackle all those fine hairs with OP's. Robert, you said stick in your comfort zone, mm, I love the effect of OP's but find them at the bootom of my comfortable media zone, but I'm gonna try and get to something here, chow...

halthepainter
01-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Gosh Beautiful Scene.

Sandra, your horse is lovely.

halthepainter
01-03-2010, 09:42 AM
Here's my horsey.

I thought to try something a bit different for me. This is a casual effort.

The upper left of the image is darker on the photo and the lower right is lighter than the actual image. How that happened, I can't imagine. Perhaps the surface texture was different in the two sections and reflected light back differently.

Image 8 by 10 inches, on cold press watercolor paper, black and cool gray colors are Erengi, white is Senneliers.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2010/140488-OP_wild_horse.jpg

Some of the horizontal scratches and other marks on the right side of the image were not noticable on the painting but showed up on the photo?????:confused:

Suggestions welcome.

Pat Isaac
01-03-2010, 10:32 AM
Nicely done, Sandra. Good use of color.

Pat

hollyga
01-03-2010, 11:22 AM
This is a WOW - Hal! The horizontal scratches may be where your sleeve rubbed on the painting - I found that happening as I worked on the water lily when I was trying to get pictures. Argh-h-h-h - - that's maddening! :mad: This is a fantastic horsey! I may try him, too - and I think I may try the landscape.

Holly:wave:

Pat Isaac
01-03-2010, 11:24 AM
Great monochromatic painting, Hal. You certainly have captured his stance.

Pat

christinemlr
01-03-2010, 11:43 AM
You've done a GREAT horse here Hal. I especially like the way you've got a real 3D dimension, the horses head seems to be coming out towards the viewer, more than in the ref. photo. Its strong and full of life. What did you say a 'casual effort' ??? Oh if only my casual efforts could be so good!

ROBERT I've been away from Wet Canvas and the OP forum a long time now and haven't done an OP for AGES, I'll have a go at this challenge this month and hope to get back in the OP groove.

christinemlr
01-03-2010, 11:45 AM
PS Comfort Zone???? Whats that? OK, I'll TRY and get comfy, most likely I'll get lost in the mists though.

Pat Isaac
01-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Welcome back, Xina...looking forward to your posts.

Pat

robertsloan2
01-03-2010, 12:03 PM
Hal, wow! Your monochrome horse is plunging right out of the screen at me with so much emotion and intensity! Sometimes a casual effort can result in something spectacular. Wonderful monochrome with strong painterly strokes and tremendous accuracy. I noticed that effect of his face coming forward too, it's wonderful. Love it. Serendipity happens!

Xina, welcome back! I missed you! The "Comfort Zone" challenge means to pick the reference you like best (and find easiest to do), use your favorite pastels and favorite surface, the techniques you're best with, load everything in favor of what you most enjoy doing. That does include making yourself physically comfortable so you can concentrate on the painting.

So please do take the "Comfort Zone Challenge" as a good excuse for chocolate, a cup of sherry, anything indulgent that improves your painting process.

oldrockchick
01-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Robert these are lovely refs.Thank you for hosting. I will have a problem with the challenge though. You tell me to stay within my comfort zone, but to be honest I still dont' know where it is.

As for 'white things' that us also the challenge over on CP this month too! Should be good at it by February :D

That misty wood is beautiful but I'll have to think about it as I have no idea how to create the mist. :confused: *scratches head*

Seems GOSH managed to nail it spot on. :thumbsup: Absolutley beautiful!

or some demons peeking around some trees.

Actually it reminded me of the scene from Lord Of The Rings (Fellowship) where they found the mushrooms and hid from the black rider.

Sandra - lovely horse. i know you have been doing a few horse studies and it shows. The whitedotis you have from the paper gives it a hint of pointilism:lol:

Skatty - try using sgraffito or colourshapers or even oil-based pencils for finery. :wink2:

Hal - lovely monochrome version of the horse. I would never think to do that with OPs.

Sorry I didn't get to do one last month - way too much running around. Now all is quiet I'll try to find time and energy.

halthepainter
01-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Thank you everyone for your kind comments.

I thought I was being a little lazy doing my Horsey as a monochrome but for a long time I've been wanting to do a monochrome. I thought this subject would lend itself nicely to a dramatic black and white monochromatic treatment.

christinemlr
01-03-2010, 07:04 PM
I loved doing this, but it came out pretty strange. Just don't look at the original reference photo! I'll blame it on the scanner! :evil: Still, good to get back to the OPs

Neopastels on Murano paper - (a kind of pinky beige/buff colour) cropped to about 6"x6"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2010/151368-img146.jpg

Pat Isaac
01-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Nice loose application of the OPs and I really like the color variations.

Pat

gakinme
01-04-2010, 03:40 AM
Thank you for all the kind comments, Hal, Scatty, Lynn, Pat, Robert, EP, Sue.

Lynn, actually, I didn't do more horses since you last checked my thread. This is the first time I picked it up again. For those interested, I did another horse at the Southwest Challenge January but it's nothing as good as this one but the bulls, you guys might enjoy it. Click here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8423790&postcount=6).

Hal, that horse looks wild indeed. I might not want to get too close.

Xina, I like the swirly petals.

Scattykat
01-04-2010, 03:41 PM
Hey Hal, that gee gee looks well spooked, really cool in monochrome...:)
and Xina, I like the way your pastel strokes give shape, and the shadow colours are neat, your gardinia glows...:thumbsup:
Oldrockchick, I had no idea you can get oil pastel pencils, they sound a good idea, shall go google them, thanks... :D

All the refs are fab Robert, was torn between them. When I first saw the horse, an arrangement of shapes and lines popped out at me, and begged to be a little abstractified, so I fiddled with it and added the gardenia for fun. About 24 x 20 cms on mount board, a mixture of OP's, and took a couple of hours. The colour hasn't scanned that wonderfully, the white bits are more white than it looks here, but I really loved the challenge, thank you :wave: ...

chow fer now...

halthepainter
01-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Scattykat, Gee Gee??? that's a new one for me?

yours is also a wild one. Now I'm friends with three expressionists.

Pat Isaac
01-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Great take on the horse, scattykat. Love the colors in this image.
Pat

robertsloan2
01-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Xina, your gardenia is lovely. I especially like the varied tints you used in the shadows on the white, the swirly petals are very distinct, the flower and foliage have depth, the painting is beautiful. I like your colors too. A reference is just a starting point.

Kat, wow! I love what you did with the horse! That semi-abstract in blue and white is gorgeous. I had to smile as soon as I saw it.

Lin, if you don't have a habitual comfort zone, try whatever looks like the most fun. I agree that the misty landscape does look a lot like the scene where the hobbits found mushrooms and hid from the Black Rider, one of the reasons I love it is that magical feeling.

rjmarchitect
01-04-2010, 06:09 PM
Hi all, didn't have a chance to do last months so I am trying at least one this month. I am trying to be a bit looser on this as I have been a bit "tight" on the others. This is 5" x 7" on sand colored pastelbord with Holbeins.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jan-2010/204144-gardinea1.jpg
It got a bit mushy and needs to rest a while (It's 71 here today and around 80 in my office) so I will post more later. As always C & C's welcome.

And thanks Robert for challenging us!

Russ

Pat Isaac
01-04-2010, 06:35 PM
Great start, and what's wrong with "tight"?

Pat

rjmarchitect
01-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Pat, just trying to expand my horizons.

Russ

Pat Isaac
01-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Gotcha...I'll tell you a story about that sometime.

Pat

christinemlr
01-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Russ -Is this a 'start'? It looks finished to me, Its beautiful. What a perfect composition you made by excluding some leaves, and you have captured that creamy/waxy surface of the flower and leaves of this plant. Did you wash the background at all, or is it all finger blending?

rjmarchitect
01-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Thanks Xina, the background is blended with color shapers and then the edges smoothed with a finger.
Russ

truck driver
01-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Russ, thats looking really good. I'll wait to comment until the next version.
RG

robertsloan2
01-04-2010, 10:01 PM
Great start, Russ! The flower is so beautful and I love the contrast and values in the leaves. Whether it's your photo or the painting, the background seems a bit light, if you can darken it some after it sets up that would probably help the flower pop forward.

You have beautiful hue shifts in the flower. I can see that the background does have a soft warm color, it's just not very distinct in this scan. Can't wait to see more!

Scattykat
01-05-2010, 04:48 AM
Russ - that's beautiful already. The petals really have that waxy feel of the gardenia. Not tried Holbeins, are they towards soft? I have tried colour shapers on my op's but they lift and roll it, I gave up with them and went back to fingies. Cool crop too by the way...

paul444
01-05-2010, 05:27 AM
Gosh... you have painted the misty scene beautifully.

Sandra... fantastic horse, love the colours you have used.

Hal... Wonderful effect on your horse, it has great depth and looks good in black and white.

Xina... A beautiful flower, great colours.

Scattykat... Fantastic version, what a great colour to paint a horse.

Russ...A great start on the flower.

paul444
01-05-2010, 05:32 AM
Here is mine for starters, ( might have a go at the misty scene. )
Its 10 X 8 on pastel card using sennelier pastels. Decided to go in a bit on the flower rather than do the whole thing.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2010/82968-ds.jpg

Scattykat
01-05-2010, 07:24 AM
super crop on this Paul, really whirls you into the heart of the flower, good depth too...

Pat Isaac
01-05-2010, 07:49 AM
Great crop, Paul and those greens are wonderful.

Pat

oldrockchick
01-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Skatty - They aren't oil pastel pencils as such. The Faber Castell Polychromos are a coloured pencil that is oil based so that they are compatible. I also use them for some of my CP work you have seen on the WDE. You can blend them with Sansodor too and will work well with OPs
As for your hosre - it's magnificent. I love it. The colours are so dreamlike.
It's great to see you over here with us whacky but lovebable OPers!! Hope to see you over the weekend when I host the WDE :)

Russ - I love the background colour for your rose - it works so well - what is/are the colours you used? It has such a soft look. Love the darks on the leaves - very natural.

Paul - when I saw your rose I went WHOA! So striking with a hint of abstraction yet clarity. I love the 'in-your-face' close up. So expressive.

I dont' think I can be as expressive as you guys. My comfort zone is a tendency towards realism. I'm trying to become more expressive and get out of that. I still haven't decided which to do. I'm so behind with all the wc projects.

robertsloan2
01-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Here is mine for starters, ( might have a go at the misty scene. )
Its 10 X 8 on pastel card using sennelier pastels. Decided to go in a bit on the flower rather than do the whole thing.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2010/82968-ds.jpg

I love your crop on the gardenia, quoted to bring it forward onto this page for people to see since it was so close to the bottom. It's gorgeous. Strong values and perfect form on the petals. I love florals with a close view like that, so striking! Beautiful!

eyepaint
01-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Hi!

Robert (robertsloan2) said "stay within your comfort zone ... do what you do best". Ok, Robert, one blue horse coming right up! Oh and a lollipop story book abstract forest :)

These are 7x10" watercolour paper coated with terra cotta colour fix primer. Sennelier oil pastels.

Cheers,

oldrockchick
01-05-2010, 01:00 PM
Wow EP very striking and verrry you!

That horse looks like it is laughing :P

Good to see you joining in with us :) hope to see you on WDE this weekend

eyepaint
01-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Thanks, Lin. You betcha I'll do something for the WDE.

halthepainter
01-05-2010, 01:19 PM
I don't know what happened to my system yesterday but I didn't seem to get any notices of updates. So much happened yesterday. It's amazing.

Russ magnificient.
Paul that just blows me away. wonderful.
EP going where no one has gone before! :evil: I now have a surrealist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surrealist) friend as well as an expressionist friend this month.

truck driver
01-05-2010, 04:37 PM
Hi!

Robert (robertsloan2) said "stay within your comfort zone ... do what you do best". Ok, Robert, one blue horse coming right up! Oh and a lollipop story book abstract forest :)

These are 7x10" watercolour paper coated with terra cotta colour fix primer. Sennelier oil pastels.

Cheers,

I thought you had run out of blue EP, hadn't seen you in a while. Love your blue horse.

RG

Pat Isaac
01-05-2010, 04:57 PM
Glad to see the blue, EP. I have missed your whimsical paintings. He is smiling....

pat

gakinme
01-05-2010, 06:29 PM
Scatty, that horse is quite eye catching. A marble look and a chess piece look. I could imagine it on my kid's chessboard.

Russ, the colors on the leaves are so pretty! Like the variation.

Paul, thanks for your comment. Wow! What a flower!!! The close up look is wonderful!!! And the colors. Lots to learn from your piece.

bchlvr
01-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Great work everyone! EP...love your horse!

eyepaint
01-06-2010, 12:32 AM
Hal, Pat, RG, and Lin - thank you :)

robertsloan2
01-06-2010, 01:28 AM
EP, I love both of your paintings. The grinning blue horse looks like he belongs in the lollipop forest -- and I can see the source in both of them, you just turned them into perfect bright primary whimsy! Love it. These are so cool and so you.

I knew you hadn't run out of blue, you bought le Grande sticks!

I got started on mine today but there's nothing to post yet. What I did today was prime a canvas board with Soft Umber Colourfix primer to get ready to do the gardenia. I do not like painting in solid color backgrounds! I do like working loosely and letting the substrate form the background, that's my happy thing sometimes. So I'll be doing the gardenia on a warm neutral and get out all my pretty greens to do those cool leaves. Debated changing the background color to Aubergine since that's my favorite Colourfix color and I still might, I made panels in both colors.

paul444
01-06-2010, 09:06 AM
Lovely paintings EP, great colours.
Looking forward to seeing your Gardenia Robert.
Thanks everyone for your comments.

Scattykat
01-06-2010, 11:50 AM
EP, love your lollipop forest, I wanna wanna wanna go walkies there...

eyepaint
01-06-2010, 12:14 PM
Robert, Paul, and Scatty - thank you :)

robertsloan2
01-06-2010, 03:57 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jan-2010/70184-Gardenia-WIP-1.jpg
Gardenia WIP 1
8" x 10"
Neopastels on canvas board primed with Soft Umber Colourfix sanded primer.

I'm frustrated that the scan doesn't show all the values on the petals, the lights are fading into white as usual. After much careful effort to use mixed light whites instead of flat white. I darkened the scan enough to show some of the shading though.

I'm at a point of frustration at so many leaves left to paint! I might still fiddle around with the flower some more, I see something I can do every few minutes while leafing. I chose the Soft Umber so that I wouldn't have to paint the background at all, but have been erasing thumb smudges every five minutes anyway. At least there are some places to grab it that don't have color!

Crechat39
01-06-2010, 04:09 PM
Hello everyone,

This is the most ambitious thing I've ever tried. Mind you the gardenia is going to be tricky.

Done on Arches Hot Pressed Watercolour paper (left over from my watercolour days) using a vast assortment of OPs.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jan-2010/169975-Horse_2.jpg

robertsloan2
01-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Crechat, this is magnificent! He's coming right at me, you got the angle of his head so well and he's got such great depth. Great background too. I love the hatching and subtle color and value shifts you used to make it livelier.

I was closer to finished than I thought I was on the gardenia painting. I pushed the darks and the colors a little bit so it'd scan better and that didn't hurt it IRL at all. I think I like how it came out. I didn't have to darken it as much to make the shapes and shading show.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jan-2010/70184-Gardenia-OP-1-2010.jpg
Gardenia
8" x 10"
Caran d'Ache Neopastel oil pastels
Canvas board primed with Soft Umber Colourfix sanded primer.

halthepainter
01-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Robert your WIP is looking quite good.

Crechat, your horsey is beautiful. Your background looks great and the colors of the horse are terrific.

Pat Isaac
01-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Robert, the start of this gardenia is wonderful.
Margaret what a wonderful horse, his spirit comes through.

Pat

robertsloan2
01-06-2010, 06:07 PM
The gardenia's finished, though sadly the scan on the finished one still does not show the soft edges between the shading and the white areas that have light tones in them. It loses an entire value step to white every time, I used some of the clean pretty tints in my Neopastels set for it.

When I finished it, I pushed the shadows a little to make it look better on screen and it didn't hurt the way it looks in life at all.

bchlvr
01-06-2010, 09:10 PM
Fantastic paintings so far everyone! I must try one or more this month. I like your horse Crechat and your gardenia is beautiful Robert.

paul444
01-07-2010, 08:49 AM
Crechat, a super horse, well done.
Robert, A beautiful gardenia, pushing those darks has really brought it out.

Pat Isaac
01-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Missed the finish, Robert. Yes, the darks really make the flower pop. Nicely done.

Pat

oldrockchick
01-07-2010, 10:03 AM
Robert - your flower is magnificent. The form on the flower is brilliant. I love the background colour? I know what you mean about scans and light values. I've just finished some polar bears for the CP monthly challenge. I worked hard to make the colours subtle and the scan just left everything a stark white blob! I'm sure it is even more amazing IRL.

Crech - how did you like working on the smooth arches with OP? I like it cor CP work and never tried it for OP as I didn't think it would have enough tooth. Would be interested to know of your experinece especially with layering. I love the vibrant warm reds in your horse. Beautiful.

I will make a start on your challenges when I get the WDE out of the way this weekedn. I already have printed out the refs. I'm still trying to decide on the support to use.

Scattykat
01-07-2010, 10:34 AM
Robert, your gardinia, is gorgeous, you've made the flower pop, and those are some great greens in the leaves. I commiserate about the scanner not coping with the nuances, mine drives me crackers, sometimes it really messes with the painyings. Never mind this one is a stunner.

Crech,that gee gee looks like he's really wild, excellent choice of bg colour, good rythem too...

rjmarchitect
01-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Everyones work is amazing. So many visions of the same thing. I believe that's ART!

Well here is my final take on the gardenia. I had to do some blending, I could not help myself:wink2:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jan-2010/204144-Gardinea2.jpg

Thanks for your comments.

Russ

halthepainter
01-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Beautiful Job as always Russ.

What kind of support did you paint on. Did it have a natural texture?

rjmarchitect
01-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Hal, Thanks!

It was on Ampersand Pastelbord, 5 x 7 all Holbeins.

Russ

halthepainter
01-07-2010, 02:14 PM
Hal, Thanks!

It was on Ampersand Pastelbord, 5 x 7 all Holbeins.

Russ

Wow, such a beautiful job in such a small format. I don't think I could begin to work that small with oil pastels, cps perhaps but not oil pastels.

christinemlr
01-07-2010, 05:39 PM
Crechat - I LOVE your horse, beautiful colour ( those blue/violets set against the rich orange/browns are wonderful) and great movement you've achieved.

Robert - This is SO BEAUTIFUL. You've set the flower so perfectly on its plain background, and it really does SING. The leaves are gorgeous in colour and texture (a great shiny effect on that leaf behind the flower). I really like the composition you created, with the leaves leading down and 'hoding' the flower in all its beauty (that is the beauty YOU created for us to behold)before us.

Russ - this is a gorgeous rendition, its softly rendered, and yet strong in overall impact. Its absolutely balanced in colour, value and composition.

When I get my new Sennelier colours I'm going to have another go at this Gardenia flower. I'm inspired!

robertsloan2
01-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Thank you! Xina, can't wait to see what you do with the gardenia. I will be trying the landscape next, or maybe the horse. I've still got more Colourfix and primed boards handy!

VladK
01-08-2010, 08:57 AM
New year started and everybody is doing great job here:clap:

I've just returned from vacation and eager to join.

Robert, what a wonderful selection of reference pictures. It will be a pleasure and I like your UNLEASH slogan :thumbsup:

oldrockchick
01-08-2010, 09:02 AM
Russ - great forming on the leaves and the flower is so soft. I agree with Hal here. I coudlnt work that small with OPs and produce something as detailed and fine as that.

gakinme
01-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Russ, beautiful flower. I like the leaves especially.

Robert, your flowers are always the top of the line stuff!! Amazing swirling effect there on the petals.

Crechat, I'm interested to know if it was difficult to use op on smooth surface too. I tried it on some bristol before and it didn't really want to blend. It was kind of slippery most of the time. Great action on the horse.

robertsloan2
01-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Wow, thank you!

robertsloan2
01-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Everyones work is amazing. So many visions of the same thing. I believe that's ART!

Well here is my final take on the gardenia. I had to do some blending, I could not help myself:wink2:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jan-2010/204144-Gardinea2.jpg

Thanks for your comments.

Russ

This is unbelievably gorgeous. I love it, Russ. That's pure finite perfection. Blend all you want, the challenge was Comfort Zone i.e. do it your way!

princesstwi
01-10-2010, 01:33 AM
Wow these are great pictures i may try one of these if i have time and i can draw one worth posting...:wave:

kazuki
01-10-2010, 04:27 AM
Hal, that's a really beautiful monochrome horse. Just great and wild.

Xina, I really like your gardenia. Nice application and I love the colors.

Scatty, that's a lovely version of the horsie. It has a modern day fairy tale-like effect.
Well, guess I watch too many barbie movies!!! LOL

Paul your work is phenomenal. I love the colors and that's a nice crop.

EP, that's very nice abstract paintings. I loved both of them when I saw it. I haven't seen much of your OP works but from what others have said, looks like you use a lot of blue usually. Wow, so creative.

Crechat, the horse is really beautiful and wild. Love the effect. And how does Hot pressed paper work for OPs? Have you primed it?

Robert, the gardenia is really great and beautiful application of colors.

Russ, your gardenia is cool. Beautiful work.

kazuki
01-10-2010, 04:31 AM
Hey guys, wow what a great work going on here. I suddenly disappeared from the online world after I was attacked by a tummy bug and this and that. I woke up full of energy today and worked on the WIP that I hadn't touched for a whole week. Before the bug attack, I did a quick sketch of the misty forest, here.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jan-2010/109571-Dec09_427_Small.jpg

Senns on black canson paper primed with golden fine pumice gel. I'm not sure if I'll have time to work the same forest again.

C&C welcome.

halthepainter
01-10-2010, 08:57 AM
Sue that is a fantastic job. You really captured the mood and feel of the photo.

Your stroke direction, seems to slope a bit downward toward the left and gives the painting a sense of movement as if there is some wind blowing the mist about. :thumbsup:

Of course in this small of an image I may be reading something into the painting that isn't there. :D

Great job.

marionh
01-10-2010, 09:28 AM
I've been fiddling with these two for a few days now. I thought I had better post them before I fiddle them to death.
Gardenia Close up 20x20cm on Fisher sanded paper
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jan-2010/42113-gardenia_800x600.jpg
Misty Morning 20x31cm on Fisher sanded paper
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jan-2010/42113-Misty_morning_copy_800x600.jpg

C&Cs welcomed and wanted on how to improve them.

I will look at everyone elses' entries later and comment

Pat Isaac
01-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Nice mood to the wooded scene Sue.
Wonderful work, Marion. I especially like the gardenia and the petal shading.

Pat

halthepainter
01-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Marion, two fantastic beauties. I like that you put some texture in the dark areas of the misty forest painting. Pleiin air artist know that photos always make the dark areas too dark and that actually some detail can be seen with the naked eye in these black areas.

robertsloan2
01-10-2010, 04:05 PM
Kazuki, I love your misty forest on black paper. So dark and mysterious, it's lovely. Wonderful painting.

Marion, your gardenia is gorgeous. I love the petal shapes and the way you cropped in close on the flower, you gave it so much depth and perfect shading. Wonderful. Your misty forest is beautiful too! You used a lot more color and varied the colors so it has a light, magical air to it around the lighter areas while the shadows are rich and gorgeous. Love both of these.

Fantastic paintings this month!

deedeemacaw
01-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Hi everyone, I have been lurking around, trying to learn about oil pastels. I decided to give them a try. I chose the horse for my first op. Any c&c will be appreciated. This was a practice piece done on a piece of fine black sandpaper from Wal-Mart
This took about 1 1/2 hours
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jan-2010/202541-oil_pastel_horse.jpg

halthepainter
01-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Beautiful job Judy. I hope you didn't blend with your fingers since you used sandpaper. I used to use a German brand of sandpaper with my soft pastels.

Where in West Virginia are you located? I grew up in Fairmont.

deedeemacaw
01-10-2010, 08:42 PM
I live in Huntington WV I am originally from Massachusetts (40yrs ago)
Did some blending with my finger and also with a rubber finger cover like you use in the office. Some was also done with a brush. Just experimenting.
Judy

halthepainter
01-10-2010, 08:57 PM
Nice meeting you Judy. Color shapers also work well with oil pastels for spreading the color around and blending.

Scattykat
01-11-2010, 07:08 AM
Russ - small but beautiful, go with the blending I say...
Sue - lovely effects, hope you're feeling better...
Marion - love the crop on the gardenia, and well done on it. The misty woodland is neat too, really enticing...
Judy - love the horse, looks so proud, and a bit happy too, cool...

Pat Isaac
01-11-2010, 08:12 AM
Welcome to the Op forum, Judy...:wave: Wonderful sketch of the horse. You have really captured his stance. What kind of OPs did you use?

Pat

gakinme
01-11-2010, 10:53 AM
Sue, beautiful blues in your night scene. I enjoy the fogginess of it all.

Marion, I'm not a flower person but your flower is exceptional. I get drawn into it at once because it's so big. Love the colors you used for the night scene. You've changed its mood.

Judy, what a great expression you gave to the horse and the muscles tones are so good!!

oldrockchick
01-11-2010, 11:31 AM
Wow these are great pictures i may try one of these if i have time and i can draw one worth posting...:wave:

please do. I'd love to see what you can do.:wave:

Sue - lovely misty blue forest, great atmosphere

marion - I love the close up crop on the gardenia. Lovely and expressive and you have handled the petals so well.
Your forest has lovely colours. The sky reminds me of winter in Epping Forest.

DeeDee - welcome to our OP family:wave: You will find us helpful and friendly.
Your horse is amazing. I love the tilt of it's head and you have managed the anatomical form well. I think you should invest some more time in OP as you obviously have a flair for it.

Now I have finished with my WDE marathon I intend to start work on this month's challenge, commencing with the magnificent horse.

oldrockchick
01-11-2010, 02:55 PM
ok - I made a start...
I did the initial sketch with FC polychromoshttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jan-2010/179312-OP_Jan_10_horse_WIP001.JPG

then I started to lay down some local colours and tones in general places.....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jan-2010/179312-OP_Jan_10_horse_WIP003.JPG

more later.

robertsloan2
01-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Judy, your horse painting is fantastic! I love the look you captured in his eyes, he looks mischievous and smug, like he just managed to drop the cat in the horse trough or something. Wonderful texture on his skin and mane, contrasting textures are glorious. Perfect angle of the head and accuracy with his features. Fantastic!

Lin, wow! Even at the start I can see how your horse is going to come out incredible. Love it so far, thanks for posting the WIP!

halthepainter
01-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Looking good Lin.

Pat Isaac
01-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Wonderful start on this horse, Lin.

Pat

deedeemacaw
01-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Pat,
The op's I used are a very cheap set from Hobby Lobby. they are Loew Cornell and cost about $6.00. I have heard all the good ones you guys use but just to see if I could do anything with ops I thought I'd start with a cheap set. Guess what? I love using them.

Everyone thanks for all the wonderful comments about my first op. I know you all try to make everyone welcome but, I don't mind any critiques, maybe that way I can learn how to use op's better. Your all very nice

princesstwi
01-12-2010, 05:53 PM
Robert your work is spectacular as always,everyone on this months challenge has done beautiful work that inspires me to see the art and the beauty in everything around me...

VladK
01-12-2010, 11:56 PM
Hi everybody, this is my gardenias:
(Erengi and Senns on 11x14 bristol vellum paper)

truck driver
01-13-2010, 12:38 AM
Pat,
The op's I used are a very cheap set from Hobby Lobby. they are Loew Cornell and cost about $6.00. I have heard all the good ones you guys use but just to see if I could do anything with ops I thought I'd start with a cheap set. Guess what? I love using them.

Everyone thanks for all the wonderful comments about my first op. I know you all try to make everyone welcome but, I don't mind any critiques, maybe that way I can learn how to use op's better. Your all very nice

Those where some of my first ones as well.

RG

truck driver
01-13-2010, 12:40 AM
Hi everybody, this is my gardenias:
(Erengi and Senns on 11x14 bristol vellum paper)

Looking good Vlad. One quick hint, when your outlining a shadow use small short strokes when your blending and a little less op. This will alleviate the ringing that appears in the shadows.

RG

Pat Isaac
01-13-2010, 07:38 AM
Nicely done , Vlad and good choice of color. RG has a good suggestion.

Pat

halthepainter
01-13-2010, 08:33 AM
Well done Vlad.

oldrockchick
01-13-2010, 11:38 AM
Vlad - that is beautiful. - so soft

I haven't been doing a lot because I've been so energy depleted the last 2 days I just used my shapers to mould what I had already put down.

First layer is now complete.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jan-2010/179312-OP_Jan_10_horse_WIP_4.jpg

Pat Isaac
01-13-2010, 11:41 AM
Love your variety of color in this piece, Lin.

Pat

halthepainter
01-13-2010, 12:08 PM
Way to go Lin, It's coming along wonderfully.

kazuki
01-13-2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks, Hal. I did use distinct strokes... hmm... just because. Actually I was feeling so happy about some business advancement that day so I put away the WIP I was doing at that time and started doing this forest just for fun. I was actually enjoying the creamyness of senneliers than anything else!

Thanks, Pat, Sandra, Lin and Robert.
Thanks for asking, Scatty. I'm perfectly alright now.

Marion, those are 2 wonderful paintings. Love the color and details of the gardenia and the forest is really a misty morning. Love it.

Deedeemacaw, your horse is fantastic. Good use of colors with the OPs that you are using and especially in 1 1/2 hours!!! Glad that you enjoy this medium.

Lin, that's a great start. Excited to see WIP.

Vlad, your gardenia is really good. Love the details in the leaves and the bud.

marionh
01-13-2010, 01:04 PM
Thank you all so much for your comments on my two paintings.

There has been some great work going on in this thread. Robert said to stay in one's comfort zone so I didn't tackle the horse :lol:

Gosh, your wooded scene is very mysterious I can see the goblins around the corner.
Sandra, like your horse and your colours. I wasn't game to try the horse.
Hal nice effect on the horse.
Xina, love that colour you have got going on the gardenia.
Scatty, very unusual and effective - great gee gee.
Russ your gardenia looks like it's dancing across the page. I like it lots.
Paul, your gardenia has real attitude. Like your shadows and the leaves.
EP I can only say WOW - Love them both
Robert This is looking great. I like the colours you've achieved in the gardenia and your leaves really set it off. Pity about the photos but I can visualise what you mean.
Crechat lovely lively horse.
Sue, lovely energetic sketch. Very effective
Judy, fantastic work on the horse, an effective experiment
Vlad, nicely done. Good colour for the background it makes the gardenia stand out.
Lin, what can I say - wonderful horse.

Sorry to take so long to reply, but starting to feel better after the 'bug'

Rusla
01-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Gorgeous photos for the challenge. Everyone, lovely paintings and here I am still sitting on the fence deciding what to do.

Randi-Lee

robertsloan2
01-13-2010, 07:42 PM
Twila, nice to see you here again! Try one of the references, I'd love to see what you do with this challenge.

Vlad, wow! Your gardenia is gorgeous. The background you chose sets them off well. I see the ringing that Pat is talking about in the background where it's darkest right next to the flower or leaves, but I thought that was deliberate to give it something like an antique look.

Randi-Lee, just start with whichever of them you like best or find easiest. Looking forward to seeing yours!

Chanda
01-13-2010, 08:05 PM
So this is my attempt at the forest.
It is only my second op. I used an 8"x10" piece of black Canson and Senneliers. I received a 15 color set for Christmas.
I will try to work on the bottom portion some more. CC are welcome.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jan-2010/210994-forest.jpg

robertsloan2
01-13-2010, 08:26 PM
Chanda, this is wonderful! I think I have the same 15 color set. I love how you used black paper and built up your values on it with the white, then brought in a little color. Gorgeous.

Don't overwork it. I like the looser mysterious look of the near ground stuff, your focal point with greatest contrast is that light in the distance. I'd say it's done! Try another one, maybe the flower or the horse?

gakinme
01-13-2010, 08:41 PM
Vlad, very nice curly petals.

Lin, this is only your first layer? I look forward to see what more layers would do to it.

Chanda, very nice mysterious piece. The dark foreground really zoom us into the middle at once to the lit parts.

VladK
01-13-2010, 11:50 PM
Thank you RG, Pat, Hal, Lin, Sue, Marion, Robert and Sandra.

Lin, your horse is getting alive:wink2:

Chanda, great start, I like the mystery there:thumbsup:

I gave it a second thought and decided to fix it a little bit. Here is my final version. Ringing on the background was a result of Erengi golden ochre mixed with Senn some reddish color. So gave it a time to set overnight and put another layer. And went over everything once again... I think it looks better now.

VladK
01-13-2010, 11:54 PM
And this is my horse: it's a quick first layer with burnt umber on Strathmore 9x12 pastel paper

oldrockchick
01-14-2010, 08:27 AM
Chanda - this is a fantastically mysterious piece. (All it needs is a couple of elves Dave says) Welcome to OP and nice to see some of your work.

Sandra - yup just the first layer as I showed in the WIP before. I smooshed it into the surface with a shaper. Haven't done much since I've been too weak these last few days. I'm using a wc cold pressed paper with a layer of gesso topped with a layer of colourfix.

Vlad - it does stand out more. I still think the first version looked ok but this is a lot more vibrant. Love the sepia effect on the horse. It's like an old vicrtorian photograph. Horse stands out beautifully,

Pat Isaac
01-14-2010, 09:15 AM
Much better, Vlad. Great background color. Excellent start to the horse.
Chandra, I also like the mystery of these woods.

Pat

halthepainter
01-14-2010, 09:34 AM
Great fix on the flower Vlad and the horse is off to a good start.

gakinme
01-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Gray Paper 12 inch x 7 inch
Gallery Oil Pastel

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jan-2010/86669-opjan10challenge_woods.jpg

So I put powdered graphite on it. Not much better. :lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jan-2010/86669-opjan10challenge_woods_2.jpg

Pat Isaac
01-14-2010, 05:00 PM
interesting effect with the graphite, Sandra. I have found from past experience that graphite and OPs don't mix well. As long as you add no more OPs to this it will work or you could put a spray fix on the graphite so it won't mix with the OPs and add nore OPs if you want. Right now I just leave it alond and enjoy the dark mood.

Pat

halthepainter
01-14-2010, 05:04 PM
Sandra is that ET walking up the lane.

gakinme
01-14-2010, 05:39 PM
Hal, that's supposed to be a swordsman. Here's a different piece I did right after this (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8453763&postcount=176)to show what I really wanted to draw today.

Pat, thanks for the input. Yeah, after I put the graphite in, the op refused to work anymore. LOL. Now I know I have to use fixative.

robertsloan2
01-14-2010, 05:51 PM
Lin, I forgot to mention this but love how your horse is coming along. Congrats on first layer complete, you really have the likeness already!

Vlad, wow! I liked your gardenia at first but now you've really made it pop. It's incredible, fantastic fix. Love the new background, it's richer and pushes the gardenia forward while the petals look more delicate somehow.

Your horse is looking good too, very dramatic in monochrome first layer! Can't wait to see more!

Sandra, your misty forest with swordsman is unique. I like the weird effect of the graphite on it, darkening it and making it so moody. The swordsman walking in it is interesting. He has a big helmet, that's what gave the ET look to him, but I can think of it as armor and see how he'd look that way in silhouette. Very cool!

Rusla
01-14-2010, 07:09 PM
Sandra,

I like the mysterious quality to the picture, I also thought it was ET heading home.

I have figured out what I am going to do and the one who will be the most surprised will be me if it all works out.
Randi-Lee

Sarina
01-14-2010, 10:27 PM
Here's my try of the Gardenia...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jan-2010/153886-100_1496.JPG
Painted onto A4 size Pastel Pad using my Mungyo and Van Gogh oil pastels.

Sarina

halthepainter
01-14-2010, 11:13 PM
Nicely done Sarina. It has a nice loose feel.

VladK
01-14-2010, 11:52 PM
Thank you Pat, Hal and Robert

Sandra, I like your lost swordsman:wink2:
Nice start Sarina

Here is my horse

truck driver
01-15-2010, 01:17 AM
Vlad, Really like the horse, and I like what you did when you darkened the background on the flower as well.

Great work bro.

RG

robertsloan2
01-15-2010, 04:08 AM
Sarina, your gardenia came out lovely. The swirl of petals in the center that defines it as a gardenia rather than a rose is perfect. Your colors are delicate and beautiful, it's very soft and romantic.

Vlad, wow! Your horse is magnificent! I liked the underpainting but the finish is incredible. You've really got a feel for doing animals in oil pastel, this is so accurate and so dramatic. Well done!

halthepainter
01-15-2010, 08:56 AM
Fantastic Vlad, absolutely beautiful.

oldrockchick
01-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Sandra - lovely atrmospheric forest therre.... I like the eerie figure. Graphite gives it a dark and brooding feel.

Sarina - lovely soft version of the flower. Shame the photo doesn't let it stand out of show it's true colours. I bet it's fantastic IRL.

Vlad - your horse has great body forming. It makes him so strong and I can almost feel his muscles.

I finally felt well enough to do some art today and was inspired to do something different with the background on my horse. I felt a magnificent beast like this needed some freedom. I decided on an open air background. To get the sense of it I roughed in a background using FC polys and then washed them with Sansodor. I haven't done any more on the horse itself yet. I'm still eexperimenting with colours and composition.

I think I will go with the 'field' theme.

Here is my WIP so far....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jan-2010/179312-OP_Jan_10_horse_WIP_5.jpg

halthepainter
01-15-2010, 10:48 AM
Way to go Lin, looking good.

Rusla
01-15-2010, 01:03 PM
Wow, wow, all of you! Such great pictures. I will not show my WIP because I have a habit of changing my mind on content half way through, most of the time.

Randi-Lee

PETE K
01-15-2010, 09:22 PM
I stopped by last week and look in and now god did y'all paint up a storm. shuch beautiful pieces. i have tried this medium and had no luck with it at all. yet y'all make shuch beautiful paintings out of it. Robert you sure have some great pic's to work from, mabe before this is over i'll try my hand at it one more time. i like the woods scene, like Sandra did with ET.

Pat Isaac
01-16-2010, 08:50 AM
Magnificent horse, Vlad. Nice blending of color.
Very delicate gardenia, Sandra.
I do like the color variety that you have in this horse, Lin. Coming along great.

Pat

gakinme
01-16-2010, 12:22 PM
Vlad, very nice smooth skin for the horse.

Lin, your horse has a background! Neat.

oldrockchick
01-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Hello Pete - why not have a try at the OP and come on in and join us.

Latest update.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jan-2010/179312-OP_Jan_10_horse_WIP_7.jpg

Still not touched the horse yet. Need to add more than the first layer.

robertsloan2
01-16-2010, 08:54 PM
Lin, I like the background you gave the horse! It does look like he's caught in motion running around the field, what a great idea! Nice underpainting for the sky too, once you got the OP in over it I was delighted to see how vast a distance you created. Glorious!

Go go go!

Pete, yeah, give it a try! Especially that misty landscape. I've seen what you do with landscapes in softies, you could do a fantastic OP version.

princesstwi
01-17-2010, 04:17 AM
:( this is the first op ive done scince i moved in september and i dont like the way it came out im going to do another one later...

kazuki
01-17-2010, 05:29 AM
Chanda, you've got a wonderful mysterious forest here.

Vlad, I love the changes that you have made. Looks very good.
And the horse has come really great. Good job!!!

Sandra, Your forest look great. I love the addition of character there.

That's a nice, abstract gardenia, Sarina.

Lin Great to see your WIP. The first layer of horse is already looking good and beautiful theme. I was planning to do something like a hay field ;-)

Princesstwi, your picture is not clear but from what I can see, your gardenia should be looking good already!

halthepainter
01-17-2010, 10:41 AM
Princess, despite the focus problem, your flower looks quite good.

Pat Isaac
01-17-2010, 10:48 AM
I agree that despite the blury image it looks good.

Pat

robertsloan2
01-17-2010, 12:15 PM
Twila, your first gardenia looks great despite the blurry photo. The only suggestion I'd have if you want to redo it is to look for highlights on the leaves, some of the leaves have pale highlights here and there, others have distinct shadows where they curve. You have a good one there!

Try bracing the art on something and then hold the camera, let it focus, and brace both your elbows on your knees or a table. That helps to avoid the blurriness even if you don't have a tripod. I've been getting better phone cam photos that way by leaning with both elbows and holding the camera in both hands with a finger on the button.

Chanda
01-17-2010, 02:19 PM
Painting white flower should be qualified as an extreme sport. I guess that's why it's called a challenge!
I realize my petals are not like the picture. I had a hard time getting crisp thin edges.So I stopped looking at the model after a while and just tried to make it look like a flower. I had never tried doing a "rose" shapped flower before.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2010/210994-gardenia_JR.jpg

Snowy Owl
01-17-2010, 02:30 PM
The photo references are beautiful and I couldn't resist. Two of my favourite subjects, animals and landscape. This is my first try in OP forum challenge. Only done a couple of OP before in the WDE over in All Media. so have Loew Cornell budget pastels. Bought about 5 Van Gogh at art store but didn't use them for this.
The Appalachian Trail on Daler Rowney 9x12 green paper. Horse, on reverse of blue Mi Tientes is a WIP and only got as far as sketching in with op. Hope to finish and upload soon.

princesstwi
01-17-2010, 04:37 PM
hopefully these look better i dont have a scanner right now so i have had to use the webcam or my phone

halthepainter
01-17-2010, 04:46 PM
Wonderful job Chanda.

Snowy Owl, you're off to a great start.

robertsloan2
01-17-2010, 04:58 PM
Chanda, wow! Your first attempt is great! I didn't get the petals exact either -- you got the general structure of the gardenia accurate though. Beautiful rendering and I love the strong dark shading, that actually makes it look whiter. Your values are spot on! Hehehe yep, it's extreme sport.

Twila, both of these are much better for detail. I like how you did this, definitely keep on with oil pastels!

Snowy Owl, glad to meet you! Love your Appalachian Trail, you really got the landscape so perfect. The horse sketch is magnificent and I can't wait to see the finish on it, you really have the horse perfect in sketch stage. It should be wonderful too. Magnificent paintings!

hollyga
01-18-2010, 04:04 PM
Hi all - I still have a good way to go with this one but I wanted to at least post my progress so I can get you guys to put in your 2 cents (or more) worth of C & C for finishing up! :thumbsup:

It is about 9 X 12, 140 lb gesso prepped w/c paper and so far I have only used Energi's - I underpainted with a "wash" of some older Grumbacher ops and turpinoid. Tell me what you think and any suggestions for finishing up would really be appreciated.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jan-2010/129659-100_1614-crop-1_1600x1200.JPG

Holly :wave:

Pat Isaac
01-18-2010, 04:28 PM
Welcome to the OP forum, Kathy....:wave: Nicely done landscape and I like the start of your horse.
Looking good, Holly, and I do like the spring feel that you have now.

Pat

truck driver
01-18-2010, 06:44 PM
I stopped by last week and look in and now god did y'all paint up a storm. shuch beautiful pieces. i have tried this medium and had no luck with it at all. yet y'all make shuch beautiful paintings out of it. Robert you sure have some great pic's to work from, mabe before this is over i'll try my hand at it one more time. i like the woods scene, like Sandra did with ET.

Try it again. You have a support group to help you along. Its great the best artists here are the ones that help others the most.

RG

truck driver
01-18-2010, 06:46 PM
Well at the rate I'm going I'll get my Graphite version done of the appalachian trail, sometime by the end of january.. About 15 hours into it so far.

RG

truck driver
01-18-2010, 06:49 PM
I also realized I hadnt threatened anybody yet this month.. Febuarys coming I've been waiting a long time to host a challenge... Got some really "Interesting References all lined up for you" complex curves lots of nice ellipses. Delicate shading.. Yep we are gonna have fun next month..

Back to your previously scheduled challenge of which you have 12 days....
;)

RG

oldrockchick
01-19-2010, 07:33 AM
I did a little more work last night. I put in a little wire for the fencing and did another layer on the horse. Did a scan but as it's almost complete I won't post it,

Chanda - it is indeed challenging. I find all floral art out of my comfort zone. It is a great way to leran and develop techiniques though and yours doesn't look too bad to me. - Well done! Welcome :wave: and great to see you joining in.

Twilla - it's hard to see your picture but from what I can see it looks cool. Again welvcome to OP. :wave:

Snowy - it's great to see you wandering over to my home :). Glad to see you giving the OPs a go. Good start so far. I like the mysterious forest and you seem to have the upper hand on that horse.

PrincessTwi - Ah Robert has been mentoring you well. Nice to see your wrok. I like the colour you have chosen for the background very warm.

holly- I absolutely LOVE the purple. If you want C & C all I would say is that the greenns look a little harsh in comparison to the softness ot the misty forest... but then you havent' finished yet. Can't wait to see the finish.

PETEK -Try it again. You have a support group to help you along. Its great the best artists here are the ones that help others the most.

RG Have to agree here. It isn't an easy medium to master but it is well worth persevering. OPs are great and you will find them really convenient for plein air or working with anywahere. More versatile than WCs for field and quick sketches too. They are also capable of creating some amazing finished pieces.

Everyone here as been a medium newbie at one stage and we all are very supportive. If you want to know anything - just ask. Where a lot of people go wrong is they buy a cheap student set to 'give them a try'. They are hard and sometimes crumby and not easy to work with so people give up. Like CPs you need to find the ones and supports that work best for you. This can take a lot of trial and error - I know I'm still experimenting after almost 2 years. You are in the right place here though.

RG - Quaking in my boots at your next challenge - but lets get this one done... lol that's giving me enough trouble :P

I have to say it is so refreshing to fins so many new folks joining us and trying OPs. So to all the new people here a big hi and welcome to the family.

pragash
01-19-2010, 10:41 AM
hi,
beautiful reference photos. i was tempted to try my hand on op challenge. here is my first entry: op on wc paper 300 gsm. 5" x 7" i am new to the technique. any suggestions regarding how to paint shiny hairs over head and mane pl let me know:confused: . c and c are welcome. thanks for looking. many wonderful paintings in this thread.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2010/183483-WC-Jan-op_challenge-horse.JPG

pragash

halthepainter
01-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Wonderful painting Pragash. I'll leave any suggestions to the big kids.

oldrockchick
01-19-2010, 12:09 PM
FINISHED

Sheldon by Naomi21
A4 wc CP heavy paper prepared with Gesso and white colourfix
DR lower layers and CD Neos and Senns top layers.
Fence with FC polys
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2010/179312-OP_Jan_horse_-_FINISHED.jpg

Hope you like it!

halthepainter
01-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Lin, Wonderful modeling on the horse, beautiful painting.

Pat Isaac
01-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Welcome to the OP forum, pragash...:wave: Very nice drawing of the horse. I would just add a lighter color OP to make wisps of hair on the mane. Sometimes you have to let the painting sit overnight in order to add more layers. What kind of OPs are you using?

Beautiful painting, Lin and I like the added background. :thumbsup:

Pat

robertsloan2
01-19-2010, 06:00 PM
Holly, I love the way you used the soft violet colors in your landscape. It's coming along wonderful, can't wait to see more!

Pragash, welcome to the OP forum! Your horse is very dramatic, you got the proportions fantastic and have such a vivid, glossy intensity to the eyes. He looks wild. Pat suggested some light highlights in the mane, yellow ochre might be good there to warm the highlights or a light yellow ochre.

Lin, you finished! It's magnificent! You always get such gorgeous realism and your colored pencils details only add to the richness of this painting. Everything in it is perfect. I love the textures of the mane, the skin, the foliage, it's all so wonderful. Way cool! Thank you for putting so much time and sustained effort into this challenge, your results are incredible!

pragash
01-20-2010, 12:33 AM
thanks for the suggestions and nice comments hal, pat, robert.

originally posted by pat isaac: Welcome to the OP forum, pragash... Very nice drawing of the horse. I would just add a lighter color OP to make wisps of hair on the mane. Sometimes you have to let the painting sit overnight in order to add more layers. What kind of OPs are you using?

i use lyra oil pastels premium quality which contains 10 sticks including black and white.

pragash

VladK
01-20-2010, 05:58 PM
First of all, everybody thank you for your feedback.

Sandra - Well done! Welcome :wave: and great to see you joining in.

Twilla - nice flower and welcome to OP. :wave:

Holly - I love your magic forest:cat:

Snowy - good job, keep going.

PrincessTwi - good job, i like your background.

Pragash, I like you horse.

Lin - this is a beautiful work, and I like it very much :thumbsup:

RG - can't wait for your surprise :wink2:

truck driver
01-21-2010, 02:03 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2010/136518-SSPX1035.jpg

working on it

RG

Crechat39
01-21-2010, 03:52 AM
Lin. this is VERY, VERY good from what,in my humble opinion wasn't an easy photo, certainly as far as the mouth was concerned. It is a fine piece of work for you and your chair.
Although, like all media really, OPs are hard to master, as a novice I have found them perfect for a beginner. I believe you can produce a better beginners' painting in OPs than you can in, say, watercolours. Not to mention that the ease of using them. All you need is a support ( just paper if you want), a small box of pastels which can be fairly cheap for a student range and there you are. You can work on them almost anywhere with nothing else required. Look at watercolours - you need to have special paper, brushes and water and well as your paints. Tricky to use in front of the TV or outside in the garden or while traveling.

Pat Isaac
01-21-2010, 08:18 AM
Nice start RG.

Pat

halthepainter
01-21-2010, 08:50 AM
You're off to a good start RG.

hollyga
01-21-2010, 09:27 AM
RG - Great drawing for the start of this one. I have a few questions (for you and/or anyone else who wants to chime in). Is this drawing in pencil? Will you put some sort of fixative over it and then a primer before starting with the op's? If no fixative over the pencil, then how do you keep the pencil from getting caught up in the primer (colorfix or clear gesso or what ever)? I did a pencil sketch of Kaya then used a sponge roller to apply clear gesso and ended up with Kaya noses all over the page! :lol:

halthepainter
01-21-2010, 09:33 AM
Hi Holly, I, personally, would use a spray fixitive over a pencil drawing just as I would on soft pastel before applying any additional coatings.

oldrockchick
01-21-2010, 10:22 AM
crechat - I know what you mean - that is how I started with OPs. My original medium was oil paints - lol I like to start with one of the hardest I know. When I went on a course at my local college I found it hard to carry stuff and then pack it up for only a 2 hour class. We could use any media. I tried all sorts then the college art shop had some Reeves OPs. I gave them a try and produced some good grade class work. I then kept going with them and bought some Gallery inscribe which were reasonabl priced. In February I found WC and this happy bunch of OPers. I have learnt so much here, including the best pastels and now I am experimenting with surfaces and primers which I would never have even heard about had I not been here. I have developed my own 'techiniques' I guess froma a mish mash of titbits of ideas and information from here, /i just try things out. Trial and error is what I've used to learn. The monthly challenges make me try things and push me wher eI would probably not have thought to go.

Thanks to all for your appreciative comments it means a LOT to me from such a bunch of experienced and talented artists.

VladK
01-21-2010, 05:06 PM
Good start RG

hollyga
01-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Thanks Hal - I should have figured that out on my first op of the little girl with the furry hood - I didn't even prep the paper over a pencil drawing and ended up with a very dirty little face which was hard to cover up. :o Learning EVERY DAY!! That's what's so great about you guys! :clap:

truck driver
01-22-2010, 12:58 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jan-2010/136518-SSPX1036.jpg

Another drawing, this one is graphite and conte crayon on manilla paper.

RG

truck driver
01-22-2010, 01:04 AM
Thanks Hal - I should have figured that out on my first op of the little girl with the furry hood - I didn't even prep the paper over a pencil drawing and ended up with a very dirty little face which was hard to cover up. :o Learning EVERY DAY!! That's what's so great about you guys! :clap:

I draw in pencil, transfer to support ( I trace my drawing on tracing paper, then on the back side of the tracing paper I coat the lines with a 9b pencil. turn it over and trace on support). Then I reinforce any lines that didnt trace well with a 4b Pencil. Then I tape the support down on all 4 sides, and dump a little Golden Fine pumice gel on it, and spread it around with a credit card. Then wash off the credit card. Depending on the surface texture, I may add 1 or 2 more coats of Golden. I've found this method doesnt smear the underdrawing hardly at all. It is also fairly quick.

RG

hollyga
01-22-2010, 08:15 AM
Thanks, RG, I haven't tried the Golden Fine punice gel - maybe I should try that too.

Love your start on the gardinia (AND the forest sceen!) - Can't wait to see them both with the op's added.

Pat Isaac
01-22-2010, 08:43 AM
Great start on the gardenia, RG and thanks for explaining the process.

Pat

halthepainter
01-22-2010, 09:37 AM
Holly, I have a freind who draws elaborate scenes in charcoal and sets them with water. They don't smear after that. At least that was what she told me when I enquired about her techniques.

RG. very nice job on the gardenia. I plan to start mine today but I think I'll leave out the phallic symbol. :evil: :lol: :lol:

VladK
01-22-2010, 09:41 AM
RG nice start to the flower :wink2:

robertsloan2
01-22-2010, 01:09 PM
RG, your initial sketches for the trail and gardenia are great! Interesting that you're doing full tonal sketches. Both of them are accurate and interesting. Looking forward to seeing what you do next!

truck driver
01-22-2010, 01:48 PM
RG, your initial sketches for the trail and gardenia are great! Interesting that you're doing full tonal sketches. Both of them are accurate and interesting. Looking forward to seeing what you do next!

I do the full tonal drawing, but I do the tracing for the op painting before we do the full tonal drawing. So they are separate works. Some of them come out pretty good.

RG

Snowy Owl
01-22-2010, 02:45 PM
Wow! There's a lot of great art here. Where do I start to comment?
EP - love your colourful happy horse and abstract forest, great viewpoint
Marion - soft colours, nice
Kazuki - like the spooky foreground coming out into light
Deedee - great movement, sandpaper - creative, I would never have thought of that
Vlad - horse, great colour
Chanda - first and good, nice style
Lin - horse is super and I like you gave him a nice place to roam
Robert - light on leaves and shading nice
Pragash - like horse's expression
Sorry if I missed anyone, I loved looking at all of them and picking up tips! Thanks for hosting Robert. Finally finished horse, 9x12 Daler Rowney blue/grey paper. Now I want some more oil pastels - softer maybe. These are cheap Loew Cornell, do I need a mortgage for artist grade? I have not tried blending with anything yet, just layering on.

halthepainter
01-22-2010, 04:13 PM
Gee Kathy, you hurt my feelings. :crying:

Your horse is wonderful. :thumbsup:

Snowy Owl
01-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Sorry Hal, how could I have missed you :o I loved your horse, for a casual effort it's a pretty professional job, love the horse's expression. What are the differences/characteristics of Erengi and Senneliers? - that's if you're still talking to me :p.
Thanks Robert, Pat, Lin and Vladk for your comments on my Appalachian trail and horse sketch. I was quite pleased with my horse sketch, as my drawing skills are in great need of working on! But when I came to paint it I had to make adjustments on the placing of the eye and nostril on the horse's left. Thanks everyone for sharing your wonderful pictures :)

truck driver
01-22-2010, 05:12 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jan-2010/136518-SSPX1046.jpg

This is the tracing that I will be using for the Oil Pastel version.

RG

truck driver
01-22-2010, 05:17 PM
Next, I'm gonna draw the horse. Then I'll decide which one of my three sketches I want to do in oil pastel. With $$ as tight as it is right now. I'm trying to be a little more picky about what I do with the more expensive mediums I use. I have enough Ink, and pencils However Good quality watercolor paper is quite expensive, and thats what I use for OP work. Just trying to be a bit more frugal with the tools and supports that I have.

RG

halthepainter
01-22-2010, 06:29 PM
What are the differences/characteristics of Erengi and Senneliers?

Kathy, the Egengi's are firmer and more difficult to blend than Senneliers which are soft and blend easily. Senneliers are usually used as a top layer although I have used them as an initial thin underpainting. Then I leave the Senneliers for a couple of days to firm up and may do the whole painting in Senneliers

robertsloan2
01-22-2010, 08:12 PM
Kathy, your horse came out beautiful. Lovely mane texture and gorgeous eyes, good background choice too.

Senneliers aren't quite as pricy as the Holbein or Neopastel, but I like all three of them. Erengi are more firm like Neopastel, softer than Daler Rowney. If you email Blick and/or Jerry's Artarama and ask for samples of all their artist grades, you'll be able to decide better what texture's right for you and how large of a palette you need.

I like the sets because it costs less per color and I found out years ago on colored pencils that I do use all the colors. I just use up certain colors faster because they go on larger areas.

RG, thanks for demonstrating your tracing technique. That's fantastic! The pencil drawings do come out well by themselves. I can understand why you'd cut back a bit if the budget's tight. I tend to make practice paper on cheaper watercolor paper with the Colourfix primer or use Canson Mi-Tientes since I still have a lot of that left for sketching.

ElenaM
01-23-2010, 07:07 PM
I guess i picked the most challenging photo, the horse.I did this in 30 minutes in soluble oil pastels on Bristol board red 9x12in.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jan-2010/136516-horse.jpg

halthepainter
01-23-2010, 08:31 PM
Fantastic job for thirty minutes. I like your choice of a red ground for your painting.

However, you might want to check the bottom jaw and bottom lips verses the reference photo. The lower jaw seems to protrude too much.

ElenaM
01-23-2010, 09:30 PM
Thanks Hal. Yes, I took liberties ;) More did it for fun.The art year hasn't started for me yet ;)

Rusla
01-24-2010, 02:03 AM
Everybody, your pictures are marvelous.I am still working on mine, slowly. The flu took me down this whole week.
One thing about me is I do nothing the easy way. So, I plan to get it done this week pretty soon.

Randi-Lee

robertsloan2
01-25-2010, 09:18 AM
Elena, I like your wild interpretation of the horse! Magnificent, especially for doing him in only 30 minutes.

halthepainter
01-25-2010, 11:35 AM
In the absence of Pat's demo of an oil under painting for our oil pastels, I thought I would give it an experimental try. Why I'm showing my piece in three steps, I'm not sure. Just seems like a good idea at the moment.

First I mixed a little acrylic alizarin crimson into my acrylic gesso and marble dust mixture to give a warm undertone to my canvas. (8 by 10 inch canvas board) Then using water miscible oils I roughed in the greens, painted in some background colors and roughed in the flower.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2010/140488-lores_gardenia_stage_one.jpg
Next I painted in my leaves with oil pastels and applied them to the background. (Erengis)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2010/140488-lores_gardenia_stage_two.jpg

Finally I painted in the flower with senneliers, did a lot of blending with a color shaper. I couldn't apply enough pressure on the canvas with my fingers to get a satisfactory blend.

I cropped the following photo just to even up the edges and tried to correct the colors for the glare of the lighting effects on the photo.

There was still considerable glare on the canvas that I could not correct.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2010/140488-lores_gardenia_final.jpg

Suggestions (other than throw away my oil pastels :evil: ) are welcome.

ElenaM
01-25-2010, 12:51 PM
Thank you, Robert.

Pat Isaac
01-25-2010, 03:46 PM
Looks great, Hal. I seem to be getting a lot of flack and hints lately.....:evil: :lol: I will do it, but time is important as I want to be able to keep going when I do it. Sooo patience is the word.......
What a fun horse, Elena.....looks like you had fun doing it.

Pat

robertsloan2
01-25-2010, 04:21 PM
Wow! Hal, your gardenia is magnificent even with the problems you had with glare on the photo. It's gorgeous! I love the background you created. Thank you for showing all three stages too and demonstrating an oil underpainting with oil pastels. I might try that, since I've got fast-drying Griffin Alkyd oils as well as the regular oils. Thank you!

halthepainter
01-25-2010, 05:02 PM
Thank you Pat.

Thank you Robert, you're always so kind. :thumbsup:

VladK
01-26-2010, 09:37 AM
Kathy, great horse, and I like your choice of background
Elena, very interesting vision:cat:

Hal, beautiful flower, and background suits very well, and thank you for detailed WIP description.

Here is my forest. First, I painted 9x12 WC paper with black watercolor, then primed with colorfix. Then did initial layers with Erengi (see picture#1), and Senns on the upper layers.

Pat Isaac
01-26-2010, 09:39 AM
Nice moody feeling to this landscape, Vlad. Thanks for showing the process.

Pat

halthepainter
01-26-2010, 09:42 AM
Vlad, lovely moody work.

VladK
01-26-2010, 09:49 AM
Thank you Pat and Hal, very appreciate your feedback.

marionh
01-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Hal, nice gardenia - thanks for showing the steps.

Vlad - nicely done. Very eerie feeling to it.

oldrockchick
01-26-2010, 11:45 AM
can't sit her for long so apologies for not individually commenting but you all doing great work..

Hal... thanks for that.. have you tried with ordinary oil based oils? how does it worjk with the slow drying ones .. anyone know...

not that I'm up to sitting at my oil easel atm.. armchair art is about all I can manage.

ElenaM
01-26-2010, 01:11 PM
Thank you Vlad and Pat. Your forest Vlad is splendid.I love the colors and the loose effect.

halthepainter
01-26-2010, 02:20 PM
Hal... thanks for that.. have you tried with ordinary oil based oils? how does it worjk with the slow drying ones .. anyone know...

Lin, water miscible oils dry at essentially the same rate as normal oils. The initial underpainting was applied thinnly and dried overnight. I let it go another day just to be sure that it was really dry. :thumbsup:

Scarefishcrow
01-26-2010, 04:37 PM
Robert,
Thanks for hosting and the wonderful references and challenge. I won't even try to comment on all the wonderful work individually, but it is good to see so many enthusiastic contributors and great works.

Am still somewhat limited in my activity and some of you may not even remember me, but I hope to start being around more if only in a few threads as I get stronger and better each day!

Maybe I can even get a painting done soon!:eek:

BILL
:heart: :heart: :music: :music: :heart: :heart:

Snowy Owl
01-26-2010, 09:38 PM
Thanks Vlad for comment. Love your beautiful forest. It has great depth and draws you in :thumbsup:

VladK
01-27-2010, 09:47 AM
Thank you Marion and Kathy

JDB86
01-27-2010, 11:42 PM
Done in about a 40 minute period with cheap mungyo gallery oil pastels. I will probably work on it some more to improve it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jan-2010/213377-Appalachian_Trail.jpg

Pat Isaac
01-28-2010, 08:02 AM
Welcome, JDB...:wave: Nice start to the woodland scene. looking forward to updates.

Pat

halthepainter
01-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Welcome aboard JDB, nice start.

Are you using Canson paper??

VladK
01-28-2010, 11:27 AM
welcome jdb, good start

JDB86
01-28-2010, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the welcome :)

Are you using Canson paper??
I'm using paper from a Strathmore Gray Scale pad. It is a 9x12 80lb paper with a textured surface. It was about the only thing I had laying around.

truck driver
01-29-2010, 12:02 PM
Lin, water miscible oils dry at essentially the same rate as normal oils. The initial underpainting was applied thinnly and dried overnight. I let it go another day just to be sure that it was really dry. :thumbsup:

You can apply oil pastel to a oil painting, I dont care if the oil painting is a thin underpainting, or a 3/4 inch thick impasto, as long as it is dry. Please a minimum of one year for the 3/4 inch thick impasto version. Overnight for a thin underpainting would be fine.

Sorry I replied to Hal, this is meant for lynn..

RG

truck driver
01-29-2010, 12:06 PM
Hey wait, without Bill around I dont have to send my images to him to approve... hmmmmmm.......... Now what would Bill disprove of... hrmmm...

Cant threaten anybody with blue flowers, then give em blue flowers that are really white flowers, but the reflection of the light off the flowers makes em look blue...

what to do.. a challenge, and no Bill...

hrmm

RG

eyepaint
01-29-2010, 06:18 PM
Sue - thank you. Yes I'm known for blue in my OP works :)

Lin - lovely colours used in your horse piece

Marion - thank you

Vlad - love the orangey-yellow background on the flower piece. Your horse is sooo smooth!

SnowyOwl - thank you. Lovely eye on your horse

Elana - ker-POW that is a SMASHING red

Scarefishcrow
01-29-2010, 07:50 PM
Hey wait, without Bill around I dont have to send my images to him to approve... hmmmmmm.......... Now what would Bill disprove of... hrmmm...

Cant threaten anybody with blue flowers, then give em blue flowers that are really white flowers, but the reflection of the light off the flowers makes em look blue...

what to do.. a challenge, and no Bill...

hrmm

RG

IIIIIIIIIIIIII'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!!!!!!!:evil:
(sort of! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )

Hmmmm, I'm not sure that was the best thing to admit!:eek:

Be nice, RG, I'm still using the cane I bought last time I was in Canecun!:smug:

Bill
:heart: :heart: :music: :music: :heart: :heart:

GOSH
01-29-2010, 09:29 PM
:evil: MWAHAHAHAHA! :evil:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2010/143278-SSPX1060.jpg

halthepainter
01-29-2010, 09:37 PM
Very good Gosh, glad to see your paintings are becoming more traditional.:wink2:

oldrockchick
01-30-2010, 11:27 AM
GOSH - well worth waiting for... superb... what 'school' would you call that? A hint of cubism, a touch of the Fauves and a whole lot of Expressionism... Fantastic!!!!!

Pat Isaac
01-30-2010, 11:44 AM
O love this whimsical horse......nice color and design and a little Picasso like.

Pat

marionh
01-30-2010, 11:55 AM
Love it. Great energy and you've even caught that scary beady eye LOL

robertsloan2
01-30-2010, 12:37 PM
Hal, your gardenia is magnificent! Thank you for the demo, it's very helpful. I might try oil underpainting sometime.

Vlad, thanks for showing both stages on your forest. It came out so beautiful. I love it.

JDB, welcome to the forum and the challenge! I like your forest too, the Gallery Mungyo aren't that bad for cheap ones. I've got some and they have a good texture. Great subtle colors in what you have and perfect layout. If you do want to add more, I'd suggest texturing those foreground green hedges a bit -- that's about all it needs is some texturing in the foreground. Right now it looks smooth and almost abstracted, if you want more realism then going in with dabs of shadow and highlight on the green areas would do it.

Gosh! WOW! I love it! That is so crazy, the colors, the expression, the feeling is all there. You even have that cat popping in at the lower left! Purr! Magnificent! That crazy eye -- oh you really got the mood of that horse perfect!

RG, why not do a blue gardenia to celebrate Bill's recovery! It'd rock! I should've chosen a blue flower, he'd have gotten back online faster.

It's been great this month! Thank you all for participating, this has been a fun Challenge to host and I think the thread stays open even after it's unstickied for anyone who came in late or hasn't finished a project. I know sometimes it takes more than a month to do a good one, especially if it's big. Enjoy!

eyepaint
01-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Gosh - that horse is wonderful!!!

halthepainter
01-30-2010, 10:35 PM
Robert!! sounds as if you are shutting down the challenge so I had better get in my final entry.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jan-2010/140488-misty_forest_2_OP_lores.jpg

The image is 12 by 16 inches on dark blue, Art Fix pastel paper all Senneliers. The painting is still a bit soupy and still needs some touch up. I'm not happy with my left side, foreground trees and will do something to them later. The sky pink is a bit over done but it will be difficult to tone down now.

I wanted to get this in before Robert shuts down the challenge, so it isn't quite finished.

Suggestions welcome.

Robert, your challenges were so I great, that for the first time, I worked on all three of them. I didn't even do that for my own challenges.

hollyga
01-31-2010, 08:27 AM
Hal, This is a huge wow in my book! :clap: I loved your gardenia and your horse was magnificent! The pinkish glow was what I was looking for in my attempt, too. Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to go back and work on it much. I'm still trying to decide if I even want to post my progress because it doesn't look much different right now. The foliage is what is driving me NUTS! You have achieved so much really great muted detail in this one and I LOVE IT!

Everyone has done such a wonderful job on this challenge. I knew I wouldn't be able to do justice to the gardinia but I did want to try the horse, but, alas, I guess it wasn't to be.

Thanks for hosting this month, Robert!! These were great challenges and I love all the interpretations!

halthepainter
01-31-2010, 08:48 AM
Thank you Holly.

The muted background foilage, thanks to Barbara and the grande white Sennelier stick she picked up for me, was dabbed in over a white Sennelier underpainting. I put a dabs of color in for the distant foilage and then tapped the color with my fingers to mute them into the white underpainting.

Chanda
01-31-2010, 09:48 AM
I didn't get time to finish this one but the month is over. Mouth area is not done, background did not get completed and still a few touches to add to the fur and mane.
I used watercolor paper, did a watercolor underpainting then primed the paper with clear gesso mixed with fine pumice gel. Size is 15"x20".
CC are welcomed.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2010/210994-JR_horse.jpg