View Full Version : Drop in chat- cafe Michelangelo- Jan 2010

artbyjune
12-31-2009, 03:58 PM
Happy New Year!

:music: :music: Welcome to the first cafe chat for the New Year.:music: :music:

What's happening in your corner?:D :D

brianvds
01-01-2010, 06:35 AM
Well, here it is 1:27 in the afternoon, and I just checked: the temperature out on my porch is 28 degrees. But of course, around here we measure in Celsius, not Fahrenheit. ;-)

I spent New Year's eve at work, stressing out while everyone else was partying. I made a solemn vow that this was the last time: this year I'm either getting a different job, or I'm becoming a bum, but the night shifts have to end now or I'll break.

azulparsnip
01-01-2010, 07:08 PM
Hope it works out for you Brian. Sounds like you've made the first step.

I have 3 resolutions - #1 clean kitchen before retiring for evening
#2 - select 3 things to focus on during the week

#3 - eat sweet things only twice a week

I think the first will be the easiest and #3 the hardest to do.

Here are 3 sketches of my husband......3 minute, 5 minute, 10 minute....done today!

gakinme
01-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Brian, I emphathize with you. I've been doing the swing shift these couple of weeks from 3 pm to 11 pm and I'm dead by the time I get home at midnight. I don't know how you manage to do graveyard shift. Or are you on swing shift too.

I'm applying for other jobs too. Good luck to you.

Robin, the difference of 3 min and 10 mins is tremendous. But you managed to pack a lot of details in 3 mins!

My New Year Resolution...hmmm

1. Spend more time with my kids.
2. Cook more for my family.
3. Draw non-stop and create more of my own imagery this year rather than copying photos.

brianvds
01-02-2010, 06:20 AM
Brian, I emphathize with you. I've been doing the swing shift these couple of weeks from 3 pm to 11 pm and I'm dead by the time I get home at midnight. I don't know how you manage to do graveyard shift. Or are you on swing shift too.

I'm on all-night shifts, six in the evning to six in the morning, seven days at a time. Every second week I am off, which might sound wonderful, but I tell you, it's late in my off week before I begin to feel human again, and my sleeping patterns get so disturbed that it has been many years since I have managed to sleep eight full hours in a single stretch. And all of this to make someone else rich? I don't think so!

I'm applying for other jobs too. Good luck to you.

Me, I have saved up more than a year's worth of salary, and I'm seriously thinking of taking a year's sabbatical to paint full time. Like our illustrious predecessor who cut off his ear, I have never sold a painting. But I think, the very first one I do sell, I'm quitting my job. And then hope that it isn't also the last one I sell!

Robin, very nice work! I don't think I COULD do any sort of meaningful sketch in a single minute!

brianvds
01-02-2010, 06:27 AM
This was my last drawing for 2009: a sketch after a painting by Eanger Irving Couse (1866-1936) who became noted for his marvelous paintings of Native Americans. As often with my sketches, ballpoint pen on common old computer printer paper:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2010/142294-184-8406_IMG.JPG

trafford
01-02-2010, 07:52 AM
Resolutions? hmmmmm.

1. Excercise at least a half an hour a day.

2. I love printing...so must really work at it this year and draw, draw, draw.

3. Don't stress over small things.

There is more, but I think I can keep these three...well the last one is hard.

Robin, Your sketches of your husband remind me of contour drawings..very nice. I have an excercise in a book that goes the opposite way. You do a detailed drawing first and then strip it away til you end up with just a line or two.

Brian... Your drawing is very good and deserves an upgrade in paper, but please carry on, whatever your surface is. I'll make a wish for you in 2010..that you get another job, so that you can party once in a while. :)

Guess we can all check back in a while and see how we are doing with our resolutions.

Looks like a productive ART year here...janet

artbyjune
01-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Hi everyone. I love those line drawings, Robin. I wouldn't mind being able to do those...and from life. I never seem to get around to it though. And the Indian study is beautiful, Brian.

My art resolutions are to do more figure work, maybe do more in oils, and learn about print-making.

My other resolutions are the same as most folks...eat less, exercise more, do more fun stuff. I might do the art ones but its unlikely I'll do the healthy ones!!! I'd need to try awfully hard!

ryster007
01-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Happy new year everyone!

I hate making resolutions as they're designed to be broken!- instead I'm setting 3 goals

I'm going with
1. sell 3 paintings
2. get my work into another gallery
3. focus! I want to finish 10 landscapes, 10 portraits/figurative and 10 still lifes.

Got my first portrait done so I'm off to a flier!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jan-2010/83841-Cast_shadows.JPG
Cast shadows
Pastel on Sennelier pastel card
8x10 inches

Ryan

azulparsnip
01-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Sandra and Brian - I'm pooped just reading yous guyes schedules!!!

Sandra - thanks. those are some hefty resolutions with your schedule. I vibe with the "create more of my own imagery" .

Brian - thanks I love all those lines and hatching. The facial expression is so Indianish. Good way to finish the year.

Janet - thanks. I hope you can do those resolutions - they are all good things. I used to exercise regulary but stopped a few years ago......just lazy I guess.....
I think that exercise in simplification would be one I should do cause I get too caught up in details. I was just looking at Bemelman's work and does he ever do alot with the minimal. It somewhat of a relief to look at. You work is quite similar to his.

June - LOL at the "having to try awfully hard" part.

Ryan - you are off to a good start. I like the colors on the shaded face and I like the expression of those eyes . I 'd love to see your landscapes especially 'cause I don't recall seeing any by you.

trafford
01-13-2010, 07:21 AM
Where is everybody, busy making ART, no doubt? I'm trying to put together a collage, ala Max Ernst. Harder than I thought. See you later, I have to go out today and it is still freezing but the walking is a little better. :heart:

gakinme
01-13-2010, 11:12 AM
My boss has been giving me six days work week. I'm half alive at the moment especially some of these are back to back swing shift with morning shift. Groan. But I'm around. Just not enough energy to create my own imagery yet.

Ryan, you got good colors there and you gave her a cheeky expression too! Nice work there.

ryster007
01-14-2010, 06:15 PM
Robin- I'm working on a snowy landscape as we speak! Will post here I promise!

Sandra- Thanks! I feel your pain with work woes. I'm having to put in the hours at the moment and its really cutting into my art time. My next term at Leith School of art started yesterday so that was nice getting back into a routine. After next friday work should calm down so I will definitely be painting like a demon!

artbyjune
01-16-2010, 11:04 AM
Hi Ryster, I like the way your portrait has the eyes peeking at us!

I am in the midst of a power cut just now...luckily my pc battery has about 40 mins left so I managed to log on for a bit. If it goes on much longer...been about 2 hours now...I will probably have to have take-away for tea. There's a Chinese take out in the next street; but maybe they are having the cut too!! Oh well, there's always bread and water!!

brianvds
01-18-2010, 09:06 PM
I have been rediscovering my beloved ballpoint pen, which after all the years remains my favourite sketching medium. Worked myself half to death in the past week's night shifts, but on a few evenings we had some quiet stretches, so I had time for sketching:

Some or other pop star, from a photo in "The Economist" (which is one of the few things they don't block at work):

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jan-2010/142294-184-8414_IMG.JPG

Copied after an anonymous 15th century artist:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jan-2010/142294-184-8415_IMG.JPG

And one after an altarpiece by the utterly awesome Rogier van der Weyden:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jan-2010/142294-184-8416_IMG.JPG

All of these on humble scraps of common old computer printer paper, which is nice for sketching because you don't feel that a failed sketch "wastes paper," and therefore you are less inhibited!

I like the etch-like effects one can achieve with ballpoint. It's like the poor man's etching, and without having to mess around with expensive metal plates, messy acids, printing presses and so on. I'm pretty sure that had Rembrandt and Van der Weyden lived today, ballpoint would have been their medium of choice too.

artbyjune
01-19-2010, 12:59 AM
Hi Brian. I like your ballpoint pen work very much...especially the first one. He seems to have a certain attitude. Looking forward to seeing more!

ryster007
01-19-2010, 04:07 PM
Brian -nice drawing work, definitely not a waste of paper!

I like staedler pigment liners for sketching - you get a bit more control of line and different nib sizes. Useful if you're after that 'etching' look

Ryan

brianvds
01-20-2010, 06:58 AM
Brian -nice drawing work, definitely not a waste of paper!

I like staedler pigment liners for sketching - you get a bit more control of line and different nib sizes. Useful if you're after that 'etching' look

Ryan

No idea what those even are - they are probably not available here in Dark Africa. ;-)

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments.

trafford
01-24-2010, 06:19 AM
Like your drawings Brian...especially the second one...very pious.

azulparsnip
01-30-2010, 07:22 PM
Tommorrow is the last day of January.......where did it go?

How was your month? Any high's points for you? I discovered drawing from frames of movies on the television set. What a tremendous resourse. Drew some from Nanny McPhee and Pride and Prediuce (the 5 hr Colin Firth version). How's bout ya'll?

artbyjune
01-31-2010, 07:44 AM
Have you seen this latest article on Leonardo Da Vinci? Italian scientists want to dig up his remains...gruesome...

http://www.artknowledgenews.com/2010-01-29-19-40-25-italian-scientists-believe-leonardo-da-vinci-painted-himself-as-mona-lisa.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+artknowledge+%28Art+Knowledge+News+-+Keeping+You+in+Touch+with+the+World+of+Art...%29

Well I hope that link works.

brianvds
02-01-2010, 12:29 AM
Tommorrow is the last day of January.......where did it go?

How was your month? Any high's points for you?

Been painting up a storm; I'm rediscovering the joys of oil:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2010/142294-17_jan_10.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2010/142294-18_jan_10.JPG

I discovered drawing from frames of movies on the television set. What a tremendous resourse. Drew some from Nanny McPhee and Pride and Prediuce (the 5 hr Colin Firth version). How's bout ya'll?

Yes, one can also play a DVD in the computer, and then capture frames from it: an endless source of models!

And yes, I am back, for the moment, but will perhaps not be very active here this week. I have quite a bit on my to do list, not least of which is painting a few more. I want to make a series of a hundred small oil paintings; the above ones are numbers 17 and 18, so I have a long way to go. But I think by the time I am done, I will perhaps know something more about painting than I do now.

In the meantime also discovered coloured ballpoint pens, but I haven't photographed my experiments yet. But they'll be coming soon to a WC thread near you. ;-)

artbyjune
02-01-2010, 02:27 AM
Good idea with those oil studies, Brian. Crisp clear work. I love that salt cellar!!

gakinme
02-01-2010, 09:56 AM
Brian, your little oils are great. Brilliant mango!!! Your pen work is good too. You have to post a link to your colored pen experiments. I want to see them!

brianvds
02-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Brian, your little oils are great. Brilliant mango!!! Your pen work is good too. You have to post a link to your colored pen experiments. I want to see them!

Thanks for all the kind comments, everyone! I'll post my coloured pen sketches in the February chat thread.