PDA

View Full Version : Greens

westcoast_Mike
12-29-2009, 02:33 PM
Greens, probably everyoneís favorite color (hah). Iím looking to fill in some of the blanks I have in my palette. Iíve purchased sets in the past and they have been either weighted towards blue\grey end or the yellow end. I need to fill in the blanks in between, with the Western landscape palette in mind. Anyone have favorite colors I should be looking at. Iíd like a medium hardness like a Unison or Mt. Vision, but I can look up equivalents from any brand suggested.

Paula Ford
12-29-2009, 03:28 PM
My favorite green is #700 by Mount Vision. I also love the Mount Vision warm greens and neutral greens. Terry Ludwig also has a FABULOUS selection of greens. You can see them on his website.

robertsloan2
12-29-2009, 03:58 PM
Mike, I run into that too sometimes, especially in the good sets for some reason. Mount Vision has some gorgeous greens though. One thing I like is the way they'll start with an emerald green and then lighten it by adding yellow so there's a chromatic value range that stays at full intensity all the way up.

Dakota has samplers of all the pastel brands they carry, by color. So I'm planning on getting the Greens Sampler because I love doing landscapes and can never have too many greens. It's random which ones they put in but with 17 different sticks, some are bound to be strong bright masstone greens.

I know some artists don't like the super bright spectrum greens. I love them because I love a Southern landscape with a brighter sky, the greens in New Orleans were a lot brighter than they were in Chicago or Minneapolis. Depending on where you are, the sunlight strongly affects what color nature's greens come out.

Mount Vision also has a Florida Collection specifically designed for the Southern coastal color range, including turquoise for waters and strong greens for vegetation. Depending on where you are in the West, things either get dried out and greens aren't that intense or they're vivid because of the clear air and strong sun. You know what you're looking at.

One thing that might be good if you can is to visit a brick and mortar store that has open stock displays. It may be easier choosing colors when you're looking at them in person.

Deborah Secor
12-30-2009, 03:53 PM
Townsend makes some wonderful terrage pastels you might like. The gritty pumice is wonderful, if you don't care for a really soft-soft pastel. If you want to get into the bluer greens there's this set (or selections from it):

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Dec-2009/23609-DSC01033-green.jpg
Terrages. Green 12 Piece Set - (TGGRN12conts)
Each Terrage is approx. 1 1/2" long and 1" across , and 6/8" thick
permanent green 161
permanent green 162
permanent green 163
yellow green 158
green oxide 155
compose green 149
phthalo green 143
compose green 151
light green gray 141
dark green blue 169
compose green 150
phthalo green 145
http://townsendpastels.com/terrages.html

Here's the 90 Ludwig greens:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Dec-2009/23609-90_greens.jpg
It really invigorated my landscape paintings when I got this set!

Other than that I always try to keep on hand Townsend 55D and Unison A-43.

Deborah

westcoast_Mike
12-30-2009, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I mentioned Unison and Mt Vision as I have a heavy hand at times and tend to fill the tooth on a sheet in a hurry if I start with my softer sticks like the GA's. I had a chance to try some of the MV at a local store and their feel was closer to that of Unison (to me anyway). The only reason I've hesitated on getting their set of greens is the palette may be more towards the South East or East coast. I've drooled over the Ludwigs for sometime may bite the bullet on the warm green set.

EdK
12-30-2009, 07:24 PM
You can always make your own. Just mush some of you left over stubs with the back of an old spoon until you get a fine powder. Add yellow, red, blue to tweek the green color. Add some water to get a thick paste. Then roll into a stick. Let dry. I've done this to get that green color I cannot quite find.

terri66
12-30-2009, 07:29 PM
Mike,
Terry Ludwig has a sale on until Jan 8 if that helps.

sketchZ1ol
12-31-2009, 04:01 AM
hello. like that practical regrinding/recycling idea. E