go, bring on the talent!

Hugs,
Elaine

biddlebeach
12-27-2009, 12:54 PM
Nothing new here. :(

eyepaint
12-27-2009, 01:47 PM
This is 11x15" and fluid acrylics and Howard's booze.

Not sure where I'll go from here.

Cheers,

eyepaint
12-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Now that I'm looking at it on here I have a few ideas on what to do with it next :)

majalj
12-27-2009, 04:46 PM
Hi, I also started with some Howard's advices.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Dec-2009/189288-IMG_5327.jpg

and this are my this years Christmas greeting cards which I alreadysent to my relatives.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Dec-2009/189288-IMG_5360.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Dec-2009/189288-IMG_5362.jpg

susme48
12-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Blue cheerios?? a wonderful welcome? :) Sorry EP...the silly side of me :o

aspenman
12-27-2009, 07:43 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Dec-2009/193926-ZIA.jpg
This is a photo of a ZIA on my bolla tie which I will use as the model for my painting of the New Mexico Zia done with palette knife & brush in an impressionistic/semi abstract style. Hope to draw it out tomorrow and get it done sometime this week. 20 x 16 or 24 x 18.

OkeeKat
12-27-2009, 10:49 PM
Some interesting works already!
Dick, anxious to see this drawn out!

worked a little on my puppy, her name is.. "Precious" for one of hubbys friends.
8x10" stretch canvas. sides painted

This is the original, he said he had a time of it trying to get her to sit still!!

this is where I am now... he wanted a beige,tan background.

hard to see the brown in the black eyes.. here is a lighter closeup.

still have a ways to go yet.

Foxyheart2002
12-27-2009, 10:59 PM
Nice eyes on the dog, Kathie!

SquashedToad
12-28-2009, 01:38 AM
Its been a while since I've played with acrylics... but felt the urge to pick up the brushes again. Untitled (so far....), on 18" x 24" stretched canvas.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Dec-2009/33605-boat.jpg

susme48
12-28-2009, 06:29 AM
Well, this is still on my easel....even tho' there are a number of canvases that SHOULD get finished...or reused. Not totally sure this is any better, I think I just took it into another ugly stage....:o

With some extra ref pics I have a little (really really little) better idea of what goes where, and what some things are...sort of. I am sure there are those who's eye may cringe....such a long way to go. I keep trying to get looser and get into more things that need precision...sigh!

Anyway, it is 11x14 wrapped canvas....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Dec-2009/51170-horsejump2x.jpg

All C&C is welcome!

Foxyheart2002
12-28-2009, 03:04 PM
Looks good so far, Susan!

I just finished another cat painting. I will look at it for awhile to be sure. If anyone sees anything grossly wrong or something that does not look quite right, let me know.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Dec-2009/22615-catinlightredsm.jpg

Kathrin G.
12-28-2009, 03:38 PM
so much gorgeous work here already :clap:
EP, great start :thumbsup:
Maja, nice design on the cards :)
Aspen, that looks like its going to be interesting ;)
Kathie, great start as usual :clap: Love your colours, may I ask what you used so far ?
Madelaine, looks like it was high time that you got those acrylics back into action, looks great already :)
Susan, your doing great girl :thumbsup: Keep at it, plenty promise in it.
Sue, I love the pose of your cat :heart: Gorgeous work. Only thing I would point out is the nose. It looks a bit flat and long, but then again, that might be just the way he looks, so feel free to disregard :thumbsup:

aspenman
12-28-2009, 03:40 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Dec-2009/193926-NEW_MEXICO_ZIA_IN_PROGRESS.JPG
NEW MEXICO ZIA - 20 X 16 ON CANVAS PANEL - JUST LAYING IN THE "ROAD MAP" PALETTE KNIFE AND BRUSH. IMPRESSIONISTIC/SEMI ABSTRACT WILL BE MY GOAL

Foxyheart2002
12-28-2009, 03:46 PM
Kathrin, that has been bothering me too. But it is exact as the photo shows, so will have to try to work something else out. (and he was across the room when I took the pic, so it is not camera distortion, perhaps some more shadowing. *sigh*) If it bothers me and you, then it will bother other people. Thanks!

Kathrin G.
12-28-2009, 04:21 PM
Aspen, good start :)
Sue, it will only need minor adjustments and with your ability ....it will be great :thumbsup: By the way, I loooooooved your last cat painting :clap:

lmarie23
12-28-2009, 06:53 PM
I was just amazed looking through the last page - all the diversity of the art that people bring... I'm just taking a quick break between paintings, I think I want to paint some more before I leave for work in 3 hours... but I would love to have feedback on the painting i jsut finished or something, not sure if it's finished. i work too quickly, an hour or two and then the fun is done, and i used up the paint and canvas and then i have another painting to put in a box because people don't want to buy my work... oh well. at least it's fun while it lasts. i'm having fun experimenting with new styles.

this is another self-portrait. acrylic on canvas, 14 by 18. it doesn't look exactly like me, the distance from the mouth to nose and the nose to the chin is a bit off. but otherwise i like it mostly. what do you think?

(oh, and I included a photo that was taken of myself a week ago (i caught the bridal bouquet at my friend's wedding)... the point of my painting was not about creating a perfect likeness, but at least then you can tell me whether it looks like me)

Lynne

Foxyheart2002
12-28-2009, 07:32 PM
Cute picture, Lynne (of you!!!). Your painting is fine, some adjustments. But as long as you know there is a need, you can work on it with your next one. I am like you, I have to work fast as I have mild ADD and after a few hours it is no longer fun and I am always itching to get to the next one, lolol. My main problem is I am too close to my work and sometimes cannot find where I am going wrong until I post it on the net. Then I can view it as others see it. But sometimes even then, I cannot see the problems until someone points it out. We are all learning and trying to improve. You will get there too, just takes time. You can either go back and correct your 'mistakes' or continue on and do the correction in your next painting. Entirely your choice. This painting is not a loss, it is unique. It is your technique.

biddlebeach
12-28-2009, 07:44 PM
No Lynn, it does not look like you! you had a beautiful smile! LOL
I really like your style,,
this is what I finally got done today,,

Foxyheart2002
12-28-2009, 08:05 PM
Mary the one on the left is still off in the eye area. I have taken the liberty
of marking your photo to show you. The mouth and the nose is level, yet the eyes are not, the tops and bottoms do not match up. All three items should be in the same plane (all level or all crooked)...... Well actually the mouth, nose, eyes, ears, and the top of the head should all line up. The dog on the right looks OK.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Dec-2009/22615-100_1607.JPG

biddlebeach
12-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Thanks Sue! I was still not happy with it,, now I see why! LOL

lmarie23
12-28-2009, 09:31 PM
thanks for the feedback. since then i have a new painting, though i don't think it's done either. and a photo of myself that i think shows myself better - the angle on the other made it more difficult to compare. still they don't look like me but at least it's closer.... Lynne

lmarie23
12-28-2009, 09:33 PM
I think I'm having the same problem as in the first with the space between my nose and mouth needing to be longer and my chin not being long enough. but they can be fixed.

old_hobbyist
12-28-2009, 10:01 PM
?

old_hobbyist
12-28-2009, 10:02 PM
? :confused:

Foxyheart2002
12-28-2009, 10:23 PM
Plastechie, what are you not understanding?

dances_with_oils
12-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Lynne: try this formula for working out the placement of your eyes to your nose etc...

Ratio for facial drawings

1) The distance from temple to temple equals the distance from bottom of chin to bridge of nose, from bridge of nose to upper forehead hairline.
2) The length of the eye (picture a rectangle from tearduct to other side of eye) is equal to two iris diameters
3) The length of one eye equals the distance between the two eyes, equals the width of the nose/nostrils
4) The distance from pupil to pupil equals the length of the nose, the length of the ear, and the width of the relaxed closed mouth, and the distance from closed relax mouth center to bottom of chin
5) If you draw a line straight down from the pupils of the eye as the sitter poses gazing straight at you, the line will touch the corners of the relaxed mouth

This might help you get the placement... adjust according to your features.

S'il faut, on peut traduire le document en Francais.

OkeeKat
12-29-2009, 01:08 AM
Madelaine, bouys look great! good to see you posting in here! Welcome back to acrylics!
Susan, love this, the horse looks so much better, love it!!
Sue, your kitty is beautiful, love these!! I did go back in last week and see the other one. fabulous!
Kathrin, Thanks, I used only titanium white, ultramarine blue, paynes gray, ivory black, burnt umber, raw sienna. I mix alot of my colors to get the colors I like. Thanks so much!!
Dick, fabulous already, Love it.
Lynne, Love both of the portraits, Love your loose style, I do think they both look like you!!
Mary, looks great, I would love to see a little more blending of the fur(white dog), especially around the nose.. try watering the paint down more to a very inky water glaze and a mid tone from the white to gray, I use a slanted wedge brush also to give me a thin line, seems my script brushed are all a little too curlie and cant get nice thin line.. but the angle brush(using it like a pencil, with tip up) does great!!

Worked a little more on this more, almost done, little more tweeking.
whatcha think??

I just realized the shadow on the original is realy her fur in the shadow and I made her look to short.. have to add the rest of the fur on the back end of her butt/legs to give her body more length.
see what you think... here is the original again.

lightened the close up so you could see the eyes better.

AHHHH her name Precious is definatelly fitting!!! I think she is only about 5 lbs and a yr old.

aspenman
12-29-2009, 09:02 AM
Kathie I think you have a WINNER here very nice! BRAVO

aspenman
12-29-2009, 10:14 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Dec-2009/193926-Newe_Mexico_Zia_Completed.JPG
20 x 16 Atelier Interactive Acrylics on canvas panel palette knife & brush. Done in an Impressionistic/Semi Abstract style with bright-bold-sassy color with a slight indication of motion/movement in the painting. Gearing up for an exhibit in June titled:

"Impressionism On The Move"

Foxyheart2002
12-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Nice finish, Aspenman! Lots of life to it. I really like this one.

Kathie, her tail looks like it is sticking up in mid air when I know it should be on the floor. The foto indicates it (in our mind) but the painting does not (because a painting has to tell us). I think you are almost there. I hate that word ALMOST......it seems as though we will never get there because we are always almost there.... Love the dogs face, you have done well there. Excellent eyes.

Foxyheart2002
12-29-2009, 01:22 PM
Kathie, do you have a foto program where you can pick out each color in the foto? Mine has a paint brush that you can put where you want it, click on control while left clicking on the mouse and it will bring up that particular color. Sometimes I go all around the photo to see what colors made up the image. I wish I could save them so I could match them when I paint, but at least you can see the individual colors this way.

It is amazing what we perceive to be that is not. Like a ginger cat..... they look 'orange'. But there is not an orange hair on them. My orange longhair blends right into my red oak cabinets in the kitchen. The cabinets are not orange, but the cat is. Wonderful how our eyes and brains are tuned to memories and feelings and misconceptions, not what is actually there.

Anyway, if you can do that with your program (I use GIMP) look around to see what made up this dog and the values and that may help with his tail. right now it looks to my eye like the top of his tail is the same as his face, but I really doubt it. So if I were doing this I would check out the colors with the photo program.

old_hobbyist
12-29-2009, 01:46 PM
Sorry! I was trying to post a pic here but I kept getting a message from WC stating that I have been blocked from doing so. I guess that I am allowed to post these kinds of replies but no pics. Past indescretions, I fear.

aspenman
12-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Thanks Foxyheart202 - I had a lot of fun with this one. Not sure what is next, but it will need to fit into my June exhibit of "Impressionism On The Move" I think perhaps the NM State Flag (???)

Foxyheart2002
12-29-2009, 03:13 PM
Kathrin, is this better? I think I might have gotten the face right. Hopefully.......(yesterday's and then now - color is off on the 'now' it is more like yesterday's)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Dec-2009/22615-catinlightredsm.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Dec-2009/22615-catinlightred2sm.jpg

Kathrin G.
12-29-2009, 03:29 PM
Sue, way to go girl :thumbsup: Looks so much better, it is great now :clap:
Aspen, looks good :)
Kathie, fantastic work here :clap: But I do agree with Sue :o
Mary, looking promising :thumbsup:
Lynne, keep it up, getting better each time :)

Kathrin G.
12-30-2009, 03:44 PM
Update on my pony painting from yesterdays work. I worked more on it today, but its too late to take a photo now ( its 8.30pm )

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Dec-2009/113357-Karino_9.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Dec-2009/113357-eyes.jpg

Foxyheart2002
12-30-2009, 03:56 PM
What a gorgeous fluffy little pony!

Kathrin G.
12-30-2009, 04:02 PM
thank you Sue :D It had another major makeover today already again, but I cant update till tomorrow

biddlebeach
12-30-2009, 06:31 PM
I hope this is better,, *sighs*

Raymo
12-30-2009, 06:34 PM
Nicht schlecht, mein fraulein !

biddlebeach
12-30-2009, 06:37 PM
Sorry! I was trying to post a pic here but I kept getting a message from WC stating that I have been blocked from doing so. I guess that I am allowed to post these kinds of replies but no pics. Past indescretions, I fear.

Hmm, were you a VERRY BAAAD Boy???

KathrinG
that horse if beautiful!

Sue, I am loving your kitties!

Kathrin G.
12-30-2009, 06:58 PM
Ray, thank you :D you know how to make my day :wink2: :D
Mary, thank you :wave: I think you got those eyes sorted now :) Looking good girl :thumbsup: Isn't white fur just horrible to get a decent photo of :rolleyes:

biddlebeach
12-30-2009, 07:05 PM
yes it IS!!! argh!!! I have so many layers of paint on this,, it has to weight a full pound more! LOL

Kathrin G.
12-30-2009, 07:11 PM
I know how you feel :lol:

OkeeKat
12-30-2009, 07:36 PM
Sue, thanks much I appreciate the info about the tail. Love your kitties.
Kathrin, The pony is beautiful, love the eyes, great mane/forelock too!

I dont have a program like that, well I do have adobe photoshop but I don't know how to use it to check colors etc.

Unfortunately I didnt see this thread last night, as I couldnt get in here at all. I did start to varnish it as I thought it looked done to me.
I'm sure he's gona love it. maybe he wont mind about her tail sticking up!

Hope ya like it though,

OkeeKat
12-30-2009, 07:41 PM
Mary, dogs look great! Just a little tweeking on the white fur to blend in the grays., just pale the gray colors you used in the shadows with a little white and alot of water.. and kinda glaze over both to blend it a bit.

Sorry dont know how otherwise to explain how I paint very thinnlly. You can still texture of the canvas in her fur but I did put on alot of layers of very thin paint, hard to believe huh?

Dick, love the finish, great background and colors!! knew it would be great!

aspenman
12-30-2009, 07:48 PM
Thanks Kathie - this one was a lot of fun. The Zia has very special meaning here in New Mexico and is also the symbol on our State flag. I'm working on a painting now of the State flag.

Kathrin G.
12-30-2009, 07:54 PM
Thank you Kathie :)
The puppy is truly Precious indeed :clap: Ah dont worry about the tail, I am sure your client wont even notice :)

OkeeKat
12-30-2009, 08:27 PM
thanks Dick and Kathrin!!

lmarie23
12-30-2009, 11:42 PM
Here are my two new pieces - one is marker (on post-it notes) and the other is collage with acrylic painted over it, but i thought i would share them anyways... would love feedback. thanks for your comments on my others!

Lynne

aspenman
12-30-2009, 11:46 PM
WOW!! Unique and very, very interesting - nice work - I'm intriqued with these - I like them - especially the first one!!

lmarie23
12-31-2009, 12:20 AM
Thanks Aspen! The first one was me being bored at work and not having art supplies except for an old notebook and a permanent marker i found in a drawer at work and a pad of post-it notes from work - i was watching a movie and drew the main character :) i've decided to use it as part of a collage i'm submitting for a show themed "Simplicity: Creating a Vision of Making More with Less." your feedback is encouraging because i'm not sure what to make of these yet, lol.

the second one is based on an image of an advertisement in Egypt. i'm not sure what they were advertising.

lmarie23
12-31-2009, 12:40 AM
I just put the first drawing into a collage to work on for the art exhibit. just not sure if i should paint more on it or leave it. the materials are so simple and cheap but i thought that fit with the theme of the art exhibit, hopefully they wouldn't mind and accept it... i like the simplicity of it all... i even used scotch tape to attach the notebook paper and hot glue to attach the broken piece of belt and the torn lace. -Lynne

(the right and left sides are watered down brown acrylic paint to "frame" the piece. and actually one of the post-it notes hangs off the bottom of the canvas.)

Foxyheart2002
12-31-2009, 01:06 AM
Kathie, your puppy looks just fine!

SquashedToad
12-31-2009, 01:38 AM
Beautiful puppy Kathie! I just love the expression on his face :)

I finished the boat painting (18" x 24")...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Dec-2009/33605-BOAT1.jpg

... and started my next painting (36" x 30" - my biggest ever!!)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Dec-2009/33605-misc_160.jpg

Photo reference for the new painting is from morguefile... though I can't find the photographers name for full credit. I'll keep on looking and post when I find it.

lmarie23
12-31-2009, 02:07 AM
Kathie, I absolutely love your puppy - it's been great seeing it develop. You're finished right? It looks finished.

Madelaine, I really like your style, color pallete, and the soft brush strokes you use. The second one is particularly intriguing to me and I'm looking forward to seeing it develop. Your boat painting is such an interesting perspective!

SOrry, I'm clogging up the thread with my art which is only part acrylic. This is the collage with acrylic on it. I think it may be done. For the "simpilicity: making more with less" exhibit. it's 2 am here... i think i need to get some sleep! Lynne

susme48
12-31-2009, 02:09 AM
Sorry I have been remiss in commenting....

EP and Maja...interesting touches of Howard mixed with your own styles!

Richard....love your ZIA!! And I like the idea of the state flag.

Kathie...love your doggie, as usual!! Funny how we all do things differently....I use texture to imply the fur....and you almost use watercolors...thin or thick...the end result is what counts.

Madelaine...I am not sure 'what' it is, but it is intriguing trying to figure it out...so far I have seen many things!

Sue...your kitties are marvelous....I love the dark bg with just the cat emerging....it adds to the 'royalty' that they all display!

Lynne, unusual portrayals of yourself...not sure why you store them in a box?

Mary, these are going to be great when you are done!

Kathrin, this pony is gonna be so great when you are done....personally, I love him now!!

lmarie23
12-31-2009, 02:26 AM
Susan, I just have so many paintings and nowhere to put them all, many are leaning against walls in my apartment, many are stacked in boxes or storage containers. I've only sold one painting ever, just last week, and I'm a very prolific painter, so it's just more paintings to put in the box... oh well... I love painting so.... actually I sold another one once but they gave it back, lol. it's a funny story.

OkeeKat
12-31-2009, 07:15 AM
Thank you all!!
Lynne, I love how you did the marker portrait and how its framed in acrylic, realy looks great! the second one is fabulous, I remember seeing that one in progres a while back. very intersting! Keep up the good work

aspenman
12-31-2009, 10:41 AM
Thanks Sue the Zia was fun - almost done with the State Flag will post soon.

Kathrin G.
12-31-2009, 02:08 PM
Lynne, very different ....great concept ...love it :thumbsup:
Madelaine, great start on your new work and great finish on the other :clap:
Susan, thank you :D

I finished and posted my lioness today .....finally :lol:
here another update on the pony. Needs a bit more work on the nostrils yet, but getting close.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Dec-2009/113357-Karino_10.jpg

Foxyheart2002
12-31-2009, 02:34 PM
Kathrin, this is great. I can't see anything that needs to be worked on, but I believe you when you say you need to do more (always need to do more.....and more....lolol)

Here is my second cat-in-light, almost there, need a little more work on the lips and chin and re-do the whiskers. I lowered her left eye (our left), shortened her lips and redid some of the shadowing. She's looking better now....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Dec-2009/22615-catinlightred4sm.jpg

This is Benny (Benjamin Phoenix) a rescue with only 3 legs. He had been shot when I found him in the shelter and needed his leg amputated. His femur had been shattered and he had been languishing in the shelter for 5 days waiting for his owners to show up. When they didn't I got him and had him treated. He was named by some friends of mine. Benjamin for 'been through it all' and Phoenix for 'raised from the ashes (adversity)'. All of my cats are rescues. This is about 3/4 done......
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Dec-2009/22615-catinlightbennysm.jpg

lmarie23
12-31-2009, 02:48 PM
Thanks Kathrin. Your horse is absolutely beautiful. I can feel the softness of his fur and mane and feel like I can see his nostrils twitching. Love the chartreuse in the background too.

Sue, your cat looks great as well. I think I'm going to like the bottom portrait even more and look forward to seeing it develop.

I rephotographed my paintings I posted before. I had taken the photos late at night (because I painted them late at night) and the lighting was terrible. Here they are under natural lighting - much much different! would love feedback. - Lynne

lmarie23
12-31-2009, 04:50 PM
Since I posted those I have painted a new painting - another self-portrait (surprise surprise!) This one turned out interesting. I had this concept. And I enjoy the color red. But I didn't mean to make myself a communist! lol. -Lynne

OkeeKat
12-31-2009, 10:03 PM
Hi all!!:wave:
Sue, great kitties, what a story, glad you rescued them, they realy are loved. I do love the lighting in both, Look fabulous to me, cant see anything wrong!

Lynne, Very interesting works, Not so sure about the blue side of the portrait, wonder what will be there. anxious to see it evolve.

Started my 4 people portrait, best friends of ours, their belated Christmas gift. Their 2 daughters on top, son and wife on bottom!

Going to start underpainting this eve. just finished and sealed the sketch!

Reference.. composed of a few different photos, thanks Elaine for doing that for me. decided on an 18x24 canvas.

SKetch.

Night Dancer
12-31-2009, 10:13 PM
Hi all U Wetdancers w/ a brush, and Happy New Year 20000010!
Here is what eye (black Russian) have been drawing and painting for the past 2 hours.
Slow I guess (black Russian), but I keep trying to make the curves more
curvie. It is a 12" x 14" acrylic painting. I going to use mainly purples, reds,
blues, and yellow/oranges through out. I will over lay some transparent
colors with different shades over some of the sollid areas.
I might add 2 baby Humming birds being fed by mother Humming bird with babies on a vine with some green leaves. The birds are primarly yellow.
LLoyd

ikan
12-31-2009, 10:34 PM
Wow the talent is a bit intimidating to a newby. I have been encouraged by friend Gillette to join in so here goes. I started with my daughter's dogs then my friend's. They are acrylic on canvas sizes 255mm x 305mm and 180 x 240, Here are a couple...What do you think?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Dec-2009/176078-Chester.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Dec-2009/176078-Amiee.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Dec-2009/176078-Monty.JPG
C&C Welcome

eyepaint
01-01-2010, 12:11 AM
Started my 4 people portrait, best friends of ours, their belated Christmas gift. Their 2 daughters on top, son and wife on bottom!

Going to start underpainting this eve. just finished and sealed the sketch!

Reference.. composed of a few different photos, thanks Elaine for doing that for me. decided on an 18x24 canvas.

Hi Kathie,

For your four-person portrait sketch, this is looking awesome already. You might want to check the position of the top-most girl's right eye ... move it closer to the nose? And check the mouth of the right-most girl ... shape is right but maybe we see a bit too much of the gums and below the teeth? The fellow is a great likeness :)

Cheers,

OkeeKat
01-01-2010, 02:16 AM
Hi Lloyd!
Very intersting so far, anxious to see where you go with this one.
Hi Ikan! and welcome, Love your doggies! Fur and eyes are fabulous! how long have you been painting??
EP, thanks for the info, will check them out. worked on the underpainting this eve, and it REALLY is in the ugly stage.. so bare with me I have a LONG ways to go yet.!!

I know once I get the eyes just right All else will fall into place.
played around with the background some.

ikan
01-01-2010, 04:14 AM
Thanks OkeeKat,
I've been painting for a couple of years but not as prolific as the members on Wet Canvas seem to be. I have done a little pencil sketching in the past and tried my hand at mosaics and pottery.
I have also painted a couple of seascapes in Denmark WA, where I met Gillette, who is totally responsible for me becoming an acrylics fan and getting on to Wet Canvas. There are some wonderful paintings here and I hope to become more involved. I am inspired every time I log in.
I love your portrait too. Can I be rude and ask for advice on skin colour combinations, I'd like to branch away from dogs actually, lovely creatures as they are.
Thanks again for your comments

OkeeKat
01-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Thanks, I use mostly titanium white, aliz crim, raw sienna, occas add touches of Ult blue or Burnt umber for the darker shadowing.
Kinda trial and error, remember it dries alot darker.

THANK YOU!!

bjcpaints
01-01-2010, 01:45 PM
Hi all - I have been at a new job and not able to paint much, but still on my churches and angels series - about to be interrupted by a BIG (for me ) new commission in acrylics! For now, here is what's on my easel - Middle Grove Church - still in underpainting - will update tomorrow - working intently on this over the weekend to be ready to start my commission.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2010/49636-mgchurch_wip.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2010/49636-mg_church_wip2.jpg

Susan - Yours is coming along nicely!
Sue, Love the dark/mysterious BG for your cat!
Lynn, Good work on your sp - Oh I just saw the second one - very good!
Mary, Very cute doggies!
Kathrin G. , Love the eye crop especially!
EP + Maja - these are so pretty and so intereesting!
Aspenman, Interesting subject and great colors!
Kathie, Awww, You did a great job on her little face!
Madelaine, Nice work!
Apologies if I missed anyone - will be back tomorrow.

PS PLease excuse the white blob on the ref pic - I got a little Titanium White on it and tried to wipe it off.:o

Foxyheart2002
01-01-2010, 03:35 PM
Kathie, be careful with the shading on these four. In the ref foto, the bottom two have the shadows falling to the left whereas the top two the shadows are on the right (really noticible on the chin and face side-shadows)

susme48
01-01-2010, 04:11 PM
:eek: :eek: ... so bare with me..... http://www.topsmileys.net/smilies/larger/larger066.gif (http://www.topsmileys.net) http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs012.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php) http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-char067.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php) http://www.emoticons4u.com/crazy/363.gif http://www.emoticons4u.com/crazy/1386.gifhttp://www.pic4ever.com/images/245.gif http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/aktion/action-smiley-027.gif http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-char048.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php) http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-char039.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)
Sorry Kathie....but this I refuse to do.....I will bear with you....I will paint http://www.thescubasite.com/smile/characters/character0242.gif (http://www.thescubasite.com/Scuba-Diving-in-Mexico/scuba-diving-in-cancun)with you....I will do alot...but baring anything but my soul is so out.:lol: :evil: :lol:

OkeeKat
01-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Barbara, Thanks! Love the church, congrats on the commission!!
Susan!! :lol: OHHH MY did I make a goof!! sorry my dear, Would definately not either!! Can't believe I did that!:o
Sue, thanks will make a note of that and watch the lighting!

eyepaint
01-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Update on the blue cheerios piece. 11x15" illustration board (my first time using it)

lmarie23
01-01-2010, 11:03 PM
EP, that's a fun piece. Makes me happy to look at it. This is the one I painted tonight. Tired of painting myself but still want to paint from life, so I decided to paint this antique mug of my grandma's that i inherited. Can someone tell me what these kind of mugs are called? It had been completely cracked apart and glued back together and I was trying to be so careful, and I was fine while I was painting, but afterwards i tried to photograph the mug and it fell down, into my paint and chipped the right top corner :(. but oh well. what do you think? Lynne

OkeeKat
01-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Hi Lynne, you did a good job with painting the mug. dont know what they are called. Would have loved to see the mug alot bigger on the canvas.. its kinda lost.. but Im sure you have plans for the rest.

here is an update on my portrait.. worked on the background, happy with it but have to make adjustments. the upper left needs to subdue the medium blue,above her shoulder needs to be blended more.. too dark. and the dark gray on her white shoulder needs to blend more with lighter grays.

sorry for the glare in the upper right. I see I lost the shape of the upper right girl's head..(My God daughter) will adjust that later.

aspenman
01-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Kathie - progressing very nicely - LOOKIN GOOOOOD!!

SquashedToad
01-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Hi Susan... the 'what is' painting is a super crop of a boat from Gibson's Landing on the west coast of Canada.... Here's the picture I used for reference concentrating on the right side where the three bouys are. I have lots of requests for abstracts... but I have to admit that I get canvas-fright when I don't have a reference so... I've taken to painting super close views to get that abtracty feel. Seems to work. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2010/33605-PICT0065.JPG

Now and update on my bicycle painting for my brother....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2010/33605-misc_160-1.jpg

Its slowly getting there. I have lots of glazing going on on the various coloured paths trying to achieve some depth and texture (hard to tell in the photograph). I think a few more days and I may be finished.... :)

lmarie23
01-02-2010, 01:00 PM
I figured out what my mug is called: it's a Toby character mug. I even found my own mug online! http://www.seawaychina.com/saireygamplarged5451.aspx

Kathrin G.
01-02-2010, 01:10 PM
Lynne, you are very productive. Some nice work here :thumbsup:
Lloyd, looking forward to seeing it develop :)
Ikan, lovely doggies :heart: love the Dalmatian.
Barbara, looking great :clap:
EP, now your painting reminds me of summer :music:
Kathie, this is progressing well for you :thumbsup:
Madelaine, looking good :)

I think I am done with the pony...until Anja tells me otherwise anyway :p ...and I covered 2 pastel boards in a foundation-coat of acrylic. Just used up the leftover paint from the pony and lioness painting. Would have been a shame to waste it. Might get started on the proper underpainting tonight.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2010/113357-Karino_11.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2010/113357-DSC_0102.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2010/113357-DSC_0103.JPG

Silo
01-02-2010, 03:28 PM
Hi there.

Started this one tonight. I seem to be following the qoute I read somewhere about just getting paint on the canvas then fixing mistakes as you go along heh!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2010/208483-lioness.jpg

biddlebeach
01-02-2010, 03:34 PM
Kathrin, looking great! the pony AND the new starts!
Madeline, liking both of yours also! your bike one is a very neat perspective.
I have not been to the studio today, not sure if I will get there or not.
Kathie,, loving this 4 person portrait. you go girl!

biddlebeach
01-02-2010, 03:45 PM
O! Silo, this is looking great also, we cross posted..

Kathrin G.
01-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Thank you Mary :)
Silo, first of all Welcome to Wet Canvas and the Acrylic corner :wave: Your of to a lovely start, looking forward to seeing more of your work. I love your painting quote too :thumbsup: I think that's how most of us work :lol:

Silo
01-02-2010, 05:28 PM
Thank you Mary.

Thanks for the welcome Kathrin. So many great artists here on the forums! Love your lioness! :)

Kathrin G.
01-02-2010, 05:32 PM
Thank you :) I think your on your way to creating one yourself now too :wink2:
You are right, there are lots of very talented artists all over WC. And best of all, they are all very helpful too :clap:

old_hobbyist
01-02-2010, 05:46 PM
Try one more time to post a pic... Hope Wet Canvas will let me... [Fingers crossed!] "Rusty caddy"-WIP 16 x 20 acrylic on canvas panel. Another 8-10 h to finish.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2010/115806-rusty_caddy-WIP.jpg

biddlebeach
01-02-2010, 06:22 PM
NICE Plastechie!!!

Kathrin G.
01-02-2010, 06:28 PM
plastechie, that sure looks rusty already :thumbsup: I am glad you got it posted :)

lmarie23
01-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Sorry I'm too scattered to comment on everyone's so I'm just going to comment on a few that stand out...

Madelaine, thanks for sharing the source photo for the boat- now the shapes make sense to me - I like how you took a realistic painting and made it abstract. THat's a good idea, maybe I will try it sometime. And I'm loving your bicycle painting, looking foward to seeing it develop.

Plast, that is beautiful (can you call a rusty caddy beautiful? i think so). beautiful painting of the rust and so realistic.

Here is my current project. I'm been too prolific and I don't have money to buy canvases, lol, I want to save the ones I have... so I'm painting on a piece of cardboard that was a flap on a cardboard box. I'm painting the figure at the base of an antique lamp I have. What do you think so far? Acrylic on cardboard, I don't know what size, 4 by 10 maybe? I'm bad at estimating sizes.

(oh, and I'm looking down at the lamp while I'm painting it instead of up at it, so it looks different from my angle)

biddlebeach
01-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Lynn! that is looking cool! what a neat looking lamp that is!

lmarie23
01-02-2010, 08:05 PM
thanks Mary! here is an update, though it's not a good photo of it. i'm about to get ready to go out for the night - my friend and i are going for a salsa lesson at the latin american restaurant downtown.... :D i'm so excited! i went a month ago and i had so much fun so i can't wait to go again and hone my skills. and this time i have a guy to dance with, last time it was for my friend's bday party and we had 10 girls and 1 guy... haha. there were some guys in the class but the girls definitely outnumbered them...

oh... and i found the lamp base at an antique mall for $20 and just put a shade on it - i love it!

Lynne

biddlebeach
01-02-2010, 08:14 PM
looking good! what is she holding in her hands?

ikan
01-02-2010, 08:31 PM
Kathie your portrait is looking terrific and thank you for the skin colour tips.
Kathrin thank you for your comment, the Dalmation is one of my favourites too.
Love your pony, the detail is fantastic. It gives me something to aspire to as does your lioness Silo. You've captured her character already, can't wait to see it finished.
I think I will borrow my motto from a plaque I bought for the garden. 'grant me patience Lord, but hurry'.:lol:
Love the 'Rusty caddy' too Plastechie, looks a bit like an HQ Holden I once had.
I'm going to give this sea scape a go this time. Here is the start.
C&C Welcome, all tips greatfully accepted

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2010/176078-Lights_Beach_Denmark_WA.JPG

Foxyheart2002
01-02-2010, 08:33 PM
Wow, Plastechie, gorgeous! Your grill is so precise, any tips on how to do fine lines like this?

Kathrin, love you lioness! I have seen that glare before and it spooked me (and I was outside the glass!). On your pony, where is the mane exactly? I don't see a definition......maybe some real hairs instead of fuzz to let the viewer see where it is going, especially behind the poll.

Silo, great start!

Kathie, this is looking good. Your God daughter's eyes are a bit long.....maybe you could keep an eye on them as you go along. You do portraits so well!

Here is my latest, well a re-do of one of mine. I couldn't get the 'red cat in light' right (I think it was the color), so I made it a black cat. It now looks like Freeway, a rescue that my husband saw get hit on the freeway and we took her in got her medical care. Only $700!! yikes. Anyway, this looks so much better in black but still has a long ways to go.....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2010/22615-catinlightred8sm.jpg

aspenman
01-02-2010, 09:35 PM
Foxyheart2002 you should change your tag to CatWoman - these paintings are unreal - FANTASTIC work! BRAVO

aspenman
01-02-2010, 09:35 PM
a

old_hobbyist
01-02-2010, 10:00 PM
Foxyheart2002, re: fine lines. I had an unused piece of aluminum floor flashing. It was 30 inches long, so I cut it at 18 inches, giving me a short hard edge and a long one. It works well because it is beveled so that when I run the brush along it, the paint doesn't wick under. That, a steady hand and a #2 flat sable brush. Frankly, it is boring work but ya can't do the Caddy grille any other way!

Foxyheart2002
01-02-2010, 10:09 PM
I love flat sables ! In fact most of my paintings are done by sables and usually flat ones and flat chisled 1/4" or 3/16"....yes entire paintings with 1/4" brush......

Thanks for the tip!

OkeeKat
01-02-2010, 10:25 PM
Dick, Thanks!
Madeline, Great photos! cycling painting looking great!
Lynne, Glad you figured out the name of the mug! Great painting and lamp. Might want to look into some hardboard can get at home depot for less then$5 big sheet and cut it into many pieces, very cheap canvas that way
Kathrin, Thanks, Love the Pony and the new ones so far.
Silo, Hiya and welcome, always fun to have new folks, great start!
Mary, thanks!
Plastechie, Great rusty caddie! Looks great!
Ikan, you are very welcome, is there a nickname we can call you?? might be a little easier!
love the view of the seascape. its gona be great!
Sue, thanks much will keep eye on them hehe, ohh your doing so good on the kitties.. fantastic fur and eyes!!

Foxyheart2002
01-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Thanks, Richard!