PDA

View Full Version : Margaret River Rocks

Marty C
12-24-2009, 01:48 AM
I've been working on this one for ages, finally got it done. It's not my normal working method, usually I like to start a painting and work on it every day until it's finished. This time it's been stop start stop start with an extremely busy time of year with work and family commitments. It's been an interesting experience, not one I would like to repeat as I find I lose interest if it all stretches out for too long. I prefer periods of intense concentration and building excitement over a short period to doing a little now and then over weeks. Anyway, last one for the year! Only managed to paint 19 pieces this year.
Oil on canvas, 80cm x 160cm or 32" x 64".

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Dec-2009/16809-Margaret-River-Rocks!-Web.jpg

JTMB
12-24-2009, 02:49 AM
Very nice, Marty! Love the expansiveness you've achieved in this piece.

randalljazz
12-24-2009, 03:40 AM
a Christmas present from down undah! great burst, and a splendid sky!

viking57
12-24-2009, 05:45 AM
Hi Marty,
Wonderful painting to finish off the year. This one has a great sense of space...lots of real estate here. The distance works very well and your use of color is your usual fine work.
This looks like the ocean so I'm taking it that these rocks washed down from a river to the sea??...or is the place just called Margaret River?
Really well painted Marty. Merry Christmas!
Ron

rkprod
12-24-2009, 08:54 AM
Beautiful painting Marty. A great way to send out the old year and welcome in a new one. Happy holidays to you and your family. You make our experience with this forum very enjoyable and you are to be commended.
Ron

Bud Ralls
12-24-2009, 09:49 AM
Great job Marty, and Merry Christmas.......Bud

baudolino
12-24-2009, 11:46 AM
Yes, great way to finish the year! Love it, especially the water movement and the submerged rocks. Very convincing!!! Merry Christmas and Happy new year to you, Marty!

Alex

mooz49
12-24-2009, 03:13 PM
Great painting Marty .... Happy Christmas to you and your family!

climber-man
12-24-2009, 06:03 PM
What a beauty mate! Hmm better not try that with my terrible fake accent. Truly a fascinating piece Marty, with the rocks under and above water, and the sea and sky. The placement of the foamburst draws me right in and keeps me entertained and the rocks look very rocky. Glad to see you finished it in time for the holidays!

birdhs
12-24-2009, 11:34 PM
up to your usual standards, haven't seen one of yours that wasn't spot-on. ,,,,:clap:

Rocks are so challenging for me, plan to add this to my favorites so I can study it over and over and over.......;)

Thanx 4 posting, this pleaseth our eye.

skappy
12-25-2009, 06:42 AM
Hi Marty this is wonderful as usual the roks the water and the sky are so good

IMHO some of the rocks a have a shaded side toward the viewer in the mid distance rocks and the last one of the foregound block it semms tome the first we see should be shaded as well

Merry Xmas
Robert

Marty C
12-25-2009, 07:31 PM
Hi, John, thanks very much.

Hi, Randall, thanks heaps.

Hi, Ron, good to hear from you. These are coastal rocks. The area is called Margaret River, and the river mouth is behind the viewer. It only flows to the ocean during winter and spring, the wave action and movement of the sand blocks the river mouth for summer and autumn. I have painted this area a few times. The paintings appear to be popular, the last two I did of these rocks sold quickly, a day apart in my Margaret River gallery.

Thank you, Ron, for your most kind words.

Hi, Bud, thanks :wave:

Hi, Alex, thanks, great to hear from you.

Hi, Anne, many thanks to you!

Hi, Brian, thanks very much indeed.

Hi, Greg, thanks. Using layers is a good way to build depth and texture into your rocks.

Hi,Robert, thanks heaps for your comments.

A Merry Christmas to all, and I hope your New year is the best ever!

Gillette
12-25-2009, 08:23 PM
Hi Marty,
Happy Christmas and an equally if not more successful New Year.
This was well worth waiting for,your usual very high standard, and only 19 this year at the size you paint them, leaves most of us far behind.!!
Best wishes for your Tassie trip,
Jane.

Marty C
12-26-2009, 10:48 PM
Hi, Jane, many thanks! :wave:

Esmeralinda
12-27-2009, 12:10 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

LIgirl
12-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Marty - Whatever your method, this is just lovely. Rocks and water are especially nice. Happy New Year - and keep turning out these wonderful pieces.

Betty

laudesan
12-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Glad you persevered, Marty, it is a beautiful painting. I do know what you mean though, as the same thing happens to me too.

bobsart
12-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Looks great. No critique here but I do echo your sentiments on the "losing interest" issue. After a while, the experience feels like that struggle to do just one more chin-up. If you know what I mean.

Marty C
12-27-2009, 08:34 PM
Hi, Linda, thanks!

Hi, Betty, thank you very much indeed.

Hi, JJ, many thanks to you too.

Hi, Bob, thanks heaps.

Andun
12-28-2009, 04:37 AM
Hi Marty and a Very happy holiday season to you sir! I see you are playing to your strengths:) You certainly have mastered this type of scene!!

Marty C
12-28-2009, 07:54 PM
Thanks very much, Tony :wave:

LIgirl
12-30-2009, 04:48 PM
Marty - I can almost hear that wave crashing on the rocks. I grew up on the water and can't get enough of these wonderful seascapes.

Have a Happy New Year!

Betty

Marty C
12-30-2009, 07:59 PM
Hi, Betty, thanks very much for your comment!

Skyenorth
12-31-2009, 02:03 PM
Hello Marty I had a look at your website it was so nice to browse all the paintings it felt as if I was back in Australia along the big ocean road. I thought you painted in acrylics and wonder how you manage to paint such detail. Do you block in areas to start with? you must use your paint very thinly. Maybe in the New Year you could show us some step by step stages to see how you work. Well done for working on in spite of all the interuptions, I know that is not easy to do. But I see a painting done to your usual high standard and attention to detail and weather conditions those being mostly sunny days, though it is interesting to see there are colour differences at certain times of the day and year too.

Scene Chaser
12-31-2009, 05:55 PM
Marty, I'm glad you stuck with this one. I like the calming folds of the rocks contrasting with the wave action.
Bill

mannyromano
01-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Striking painting Marty, I love the rocks. The composition is great, sweeping & scenic that draws me into the painting. As usual, colors & values are perfect. Glad you stuck with it Marty, it's a very beautiful painting!

zunisong
01-02-2010, 02:23 AM
Nice work Marty!