PDA

View Full Version : Into the Sunset

angela
12-23-2009, 11:05 AM
I haven't been on here in AGES! I hadn't painted for a long time, but lately I've been getting back into it..thank fully. I was about to burst!
Anyway, I did this watercolor as a Christmas present for my mom. I hadn't done a watercolor like this before, so it was pretty challenging. I usually work in oils. I'm mostly pleased with it, but I know it's got some things that could have been improved.
I'm basically sharing it with you all, and wondering what you think.

Marty C
12-24-2009, 01:33 AM
The first thing that strikes me, Angela, is that the horizon is taking a steep dive down to the right. This is especially noticeable when compared with the horizontal deck of the yacht.

With the exaggerated chroma of the colour, I guess you are not aiming for full realism, but even so, the shadow of the sail in the water would not be coloured as you have shown.

Another thing for future consideration, is that the face of the waves would be in shadow, and the crests would be in the lght, the reverse of what you have painted.

Having got the technical stuff out of the way, it's a striking piece with a dazzling sky, and I'm sure your Mom will treasure it!

climber-man
12-24-2009, 06:16 PM
Those are some intense colors Angela, shows the power of a sunset. It will really look good in a gold frame if you want my thoughts since the colors are exuberant.

mooz49
12-26-2009, 09:15 AM
Hi Angela ....wow...what strong colours .... I would never have guessed it was watercolours ....I hope your mum loved it ....it is definitely an uplifting painting!