PDA

View Full Version : framing help

rudiratlos44
12-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Hello everyone,
I need help but dont know if this is the right forum. Today I did frame some of my pastel paintings. But the one I painted on Ampersand pastelboard gave me permanent problems. How can I frame such a thick pastelboard? Are there special frames for Ampersand pastelboards?
Thanx for your help.
Regards
Rudi

Paula Ford
12-22-2009, 01:21 PM
Rudi, First you have to choose frames that have plenty of room to fit the glass, spacer or mat, and the painting. I would suggest not using document frames because the rabbet depth is not deep enough for a painting.

I use Ampersand Pastelbord all the time and one of the reasons I use it (along with that I love the texture) is because it's so easy to frame.

So, I start out with a nice frame with a deep rabbet, then I put in the glass, then I apply a 1/8" Econospace all the way around the glass, the pastelbord is gently placed against the Econospace, then I use my point driver to install the points to secure everything in the frame. Usually, if there is room left in the back of the frame I'll put a piece of acid free foamboard in back of the painting and then use my point driver to secure the whole thing. Don't forget your dust cover!

rudiratlos44
12-22-2009, 01:31 PM
Thank you very much dear Paula. Your suggestion will help me. Can you post here a photo of a framed Ampersand pastelboard?
Thanx.
Regards
Rudi

Paula Ford
12-22-2009, 08:26 PM
Let me find one and I'll get some photos posted. It may take a couple of days Rudi, so hang in there with me.

vltz
12-23-2009, 08:34 AM
'Dust cover'?
V:)

Paula Ford
12-23-2009, 10:03 AM
A dust cover is a piece of brown craft paper that is applied over the back of the painting to keep the dust out. You would put double-sided tape down on all four edges of the back of the frame first and then put the paper down and neatly cut the paper all the way around the edge so that it looks nice. There is a cutter that you can get at Americanframe.com that will cut the paper in a perfect straight line around all the edges.

Paula Ford
12-23-2009, 10:05 AM
Dust cover trimmer: http://www.americanframe.com/Products/Dust-Cover-Trimmer__F7010.aspx

Dust cover paper: http://www.americanframe.com/Products/Dust-Cover-Paper__F7030.aspx

vltz
12-23-2009, 10:11 AM
Thanks!
V

rudiratlos44
12-23-2009, 12:00 PM
No problem Paula. Thanx for your help.
Regards
Rudi