PDA

View Full Version : Pan Pastels - Full Set for Sale ....

Kathryn Wilson
12-22-2009, 09:19 AM
in the Swap Shop - tons of extras too!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598447

Dougwas
12-22-2009, 01:44 PM
I think she is dreaming. She wants $275 for the old set of 60 Pans when you can buy the new 80 Pan set for $279 at Dakota. I know she says there are lots of tools, but still.

Doug

Kathryn Wilson
12-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Maybe you should PM her?

robertsloan2
12-22-2009, 03:36 PM
I posted to her thread asking her to post a photo of the included tools too, maybe that'll help her sell it -- the 60 color set goes at $199 on Blick and does include some tools, but if she has a lot more of them than get included or some of the expensive ones like that replaceable-heads applicator and the Shaper, that could help her find a buyer.

Phil Coleman
12-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Has the tide turned?

Could this be the start of a mass exodus away from these in favour of the more traditional pastel?

robertsloan2
12-22-2009, 04:04 PM
I don't think so. She said she was getting rid of art supplies to make room for computer stuff as she goes into graphics -- someone abandoning traditional media for digital, that happens sometimes. She also said they'd only been used for making a chart -- that's not someone who tried them and found out how they handle in paintings. More someone moving from pastels to digital art.

I run into people who try them and don't like them, but usually they add "they're great for underpainting" and still use them. So I don't think it's an exodus any more than finding some Sennelier oil pastels in Swap Shop meant that people are losing interest in oil pastels.

No matter how cool an art supply is, there will be some artists who try it and don't like it or don't make time for it, getting involved in something else. I got my good set of Rembrandts as a gift from an oil painter friend who tried them and didn't like pastels. He'd gotten them as a gift from another oil painter who tried them and didn't like pastels.

I think all that means is that individual artists find their favorite mediums after trying a bunch of different ones.