PDA

View Full Version : What Photoshop Program Are You Using?

Colourist52
12-22-2009, 03:17 AM
What photoshop programs are the pastel artists out there using? I'm looking for a new program for manipulating my photos. I have a MacBook Pro which has iphoto but I want something more sophisticated but easy to use. Something that will let me post pictures and galleries on wet canvas easily as well. Help please!

*Deirdre*
12-22-2009, 05:00 AM
I use Photoshop CS4 but I know Photoshop Elements is nearly as good...don't know about Mac software though...

Phil Coleman
12-22-2009, 05:38 AM
Photoshop CS4 is free to try if you register on their site but i am only using CS2 which still fulfils all my needs.

Xnview is another program which will allow you to manipulate your images for colour, sharpness and also to crop them. This is a free program which i also use as my image browser.

http://www.xnview.com/

Paula Ford
12-22-2009, 07:00 AM
I use The Gimp. It's free and will do all the things I need.

Colorix
12-22-2009, 08:17 AM
I think Gimp is for Macs, and I've heard only good things about it.

I use PS Elements 6, and I'm wanting to upgrade to 8.

Studio-1-F
12-22-2009, 08:22 AM
Photoshop CS4 Extended. (http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/family/) On the Mac. With a bunch of added fonts from Letterhead Fonts (http://www.letterheadfonts.com/).

Tried Elements; it didn't do enough for me.

Jan

Kathryn Wilson
12-22-2009, 09:10 AM
Using an older version of Photoshop 5.5 - it does all I want it to do, but I need to upgrade. Perhaps with my new laptop I can finally do that.

Devonlass
12-22-2009, 09:19 AM
I have an iMac and use Photoshop Elements 6 - but I'm a neophyte when it comes to using these things, I only do very basic stuff. I know it is capable of a lot more.

Shirl Parker
12-22-2009, 02:26 PM
I have Photoshop Elements 8 for Mac and can do a lot of stuff there. For easy fixes though, I use Picasa 3 for Mac which is a lot like IPhoto, but better IMO.

knippes
12-22-2009, 02:41 PM
I use Photoshop CS2 and Painter X. Love them both.
-Kym

robertsloan2
12-22-2009, 04:22 PM
Like Paula Ford, I use Gimp. I can't make myself buy any version of Photoshop when I could spend the money on art supplies instead and Gimp does the same things. Also past a certain point, the learning curve of switching to something else can be daunting, leaving me more time to actually paint instead of relearning something I already know.

Gimp used to have a problem with not being able to do GIF format, but they licensed it and now you can save GIFs and animations in Gimp as easily as anything else.

Phil Bates
12-22-2009, 05:38 PM
I use CS3 on my Mac at home. Need to upgrade to CS4.

P

artsygala
12-22-2009, 06:02 PM
I have both Adobe's CS2 Graphic Suite and Corel Graphic Suite 11.

While CS2 is much more robust than Corel, I find Corel more understandable/user friendly. Both do much more than I need.

Shirl Parker
12-22-2009, 06:29 PM
I didn't mention Corel since it is for the PC, but it's my favorite to use for making a photo large enough to transfer to a canvas, since it has a print tiled pages feature. And I used to use it a lot to create designs, but now I have it on my Mac on a Windows partition, and I have to restart the computer in Windows mode to use it. There are still things that Photoshop Elements will do that Corel will not. And vice versa.

Paula Ford
12-22-2009, 08:25 PM
I think Gimp is for Macs, and I've heard only good things about it.

I use PS Elements 6, and I'm wanting to upgrade to 8.

I've not heard that before Charlie. I'm on a PC and use Gimp.

ourcassidy!
12-22-2009, 10:13 PM
I just picked up thte photoshop elements 8...has several new features that are worth the price in my opinion. Especially the proportion and elimination tools. Both those were possible before, but this new version makes it so much easier. I have just installed it and have lots to learn. If interested check out the Photoshop Elements web site...

Pam

Lynndidj
12-23-2009, 12:07 AM
I also have a MacBook Pro and have Aperature - made by Mac for the Mac. I have been hard pressed to find the time to learn how to use it. Although I have been hard pressed to find the time to paint as well, so ... the advantage of Aperature is that it works in conjunction with iphoto in a seamless fashion. Perhaps in the new year I will have the time to sit with it and really learn how to use it. One can always hope. One thing to note - I had Photoshop Elements on my previous Mac and could never figure out how to use it - so maybe it's just me!

Lynn

Colourist52
12-23-2009, 03:57 AM
Thanks everyone, all the different programs are very confusing. As you can probably tell I am completely computer challenged! I'm going to try to download GIMP, and considering PS Elements 8 or photoshop CS4 whichever is the simplest to use.

ElsieH
12-23-2009, 01:44 PM
:wave:

We have Photoshop CS2 and I have Photoshop Elements on my own computer (a PC). Actually, I find that PS Elements works very well for my own needs. I use it to adjust photos I've taken of my paintings and to adjust photo references that I have taken with my camera to use in making paintings.

Also, as a genealogist/family historian, I use it to restore images in old family photos. I've repaired scratches, tears, even put back in areas that were torn off by "cloning" nearby by areas.
Recently, I've been using it a lot to take out scratches and spots on images from old newspapers that were scanned onto microfilm, a process that often has lots of scratches etc. that make the article difficult to read.

Photoshop Elements is very easy to learn to use if you are new at using such a program.

coladons
12-23-2009, 04:12 PM
I use the Gimp. It's free, full featured, and runs on Linux, Mac and Windows.

http://www.gimp.org/downloads/ -- Linux
http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/ -- Mac OS X
http://www.gimp.org/windows/ -- Windows

Steve

Donna A
12-31-2009, 01:27 AM
I use PhotoShop CS 3---and need to get around to getting CS 4---but I've been tooo busy going thru the photos I took in Australia and fussing with many of them in PS CS 3! I also learned PhotoShop Elements 6, which is set up differently that PhotoShop 'regular' (unfortunately!) so that I could teach Elements as well as regular PhotoShop. It is amazing that PS Elements will do so many of the important things that artists would need to do---but there are still some important things that I use often in regular PhotoShop that are not in Elements. But the difference in price is significant---so I think many will be very satisfied with Elements.

PhotoShop is THE program---but it's great that there are several others that do so much or all of what many folks need to do with their images! Geee---I remember when.... :-) Donna ;-}

westcoast_Mike
12-31-2009, 11:09 AM
I have PE 7 and may consider going to 8 at somepoint. I've looked at CS and can't justify the price difference for personal use. PE does just about everything that CS does for the average person. If I was looking to send items to a press, it would be a different story and then CS is a must (as well as a Mac).

Bill Foehringer
12-31-2009, 12:49 PM
I like 'the GIMP' on my PC. As Paula says it does what I need it to do. I don't know anything about the other programs so can't help with comparisons. 'the Gimp' is free and very well supported by the e-community from whence it sprang. BillF