GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Jente
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Colored Pencil
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 18 x 24 cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Too many things went wrong with her - the eyes, the hair, actually, nothing looks right to me :(

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I am way too new to this medium (a novice in general, less than a year of drawing/painting experience and no formal education), so any advice will be greatly appreciated...

JustjoGA
09-12-2002, 01:07 PM
Alyona, this is a lovely portrait of a beautiful child. Her face is perfect, nothing wrong with the eyes that I can see, her hair and jacket just need more layers of the same to bring out the colors you have used... I think you've done an excellent job so far.

AggieL
09-12-2002, 01:31 PM
Whether it looks the way you wanted it to or not, it is a beautiful drawing. Very intimate composition. Keep it up!
April

Mary Ruth
09-12-2002, 01:31 PM
I agree with Jo in every respect. I can't imagine what you don't like. Perhaps it dos not resemble the little model as much as you would like. If you have a photo you were working from, there are some wonderful folks here who, I'm sure, would be able to help. I could never come near this quality of work.
MR

hofzinser
09-12-2002, 01:32 PM
I would make a decision about the background. Right now it has the same detail and tone as the foreground. It challenges the eye for attention. Is there something that can be done to allow it to fade into the background?

Alyona
09-12-2002, 02:24 PM
Soft and delicate. A little bit sad – probably some thought that would be forgotten soon … it is possible only when your are a child. Love it!
I miss your work!

Evesangel
09-12-2002, 04:59 PM
The blush of the childs sk in the cheeks is lovely ..all your colors are great, her expression reminds me of that day dreamy look small children get when the contemplate something you tell them to do..usually right before they say no. I cant seewhy you wouldnt like it...its precious.

jerryW
09-12-2002, 06:50 PM
the color is cohesive and the shading is believable.
nice work

alyona100
09-13-2002, 05:46 AM
I do apologise for not posting the original picture, here it is:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2002/jente_ref.JPG

And I guess I am just at the phase when nothing at all pleases me, whatever I do seems to be not up to anything...if you know what I mean. I have a feeling I am stuck and not moving anywhere - well, I am sorry I have to pour it out on you, guys...and I do hope it will pass. I keep drawing/painting anyway...even if the end result does not seem satisfactory.

Thank you, JustjoGA, April, Mary Ruth, Alyona, Evesangel, Jerry, you are far too kind...thank you,Hofzinser, you have confirmed my own doubt about the background´...thing is that´s the first time when I tried to do it "by the book", i.e., started from the background and worked on the subject last...as a result, by the time I got to do the "main thingy", I was already fed up with the picture..and I guess it showed...frankly, I don´t know how to get rid of the competitive background now and what to do instead...oh well. (sigh) Next time I´ll try to do better.:)

madmum
09-13-2002, 07:12 AM
Oh this is so lovely! You really should be pleased with this, you got the childs expression beautifully! I don't know about doing background first, sounds odd to me. Surely you need to do the part you are passionate about first, and worry about background later (that way it suits the subject!) You could still darken the background at this point, hide some of the detail and concentrate the viewers eye on the child. Although IMHO the eyes of this child are drawing me in very well on their own. Lovely.

Ruth

PS - practice makes better, but never perfect :D

Olga
09-13-2002, 07:52 AM
I am new at this myself and have never done anything with colored pencils, but I would not touch the background in this at all--the colors you used in painting the child and in the background make it a cohesive and pleasing whole. And there is a pattern to the image that you would lose by "toning down" the background. Maybe a bit more color in the jacket and that's it!
A nice job!

(And I do sympathize with the feeling of being "stuck" --but supposedly it passes :))
Olga

Wayne Gaudon
09-13-2002, 08:52 AM
If you look for perfection, you are doomed to fail .. if you look to appreciate how well you have done you will be amazed. This is a very nice little piece .. All can be better and all can be worse .. as the song says .. Be happy

orchidlover6
09-13-2002, 10:43 AM
not knowing what the ref pic looks like I can't tell you what went wrong. Things look pretty good from this viewer's eyes.
It's adorabe and you caught a wonderful attitude here.

greencook
09-13-2002, 02:00 PM
Alyona,
Wondered why I hadn't seen any of your work lately. Glad to see you back. I personally think you've done a very nice job with this piece. I may be a raw novice at colored pencils, but I think its well done. IMO, as JustjoGa mentioned adding more layers particularly to her face would help focus the detailing there enough that it provides the minute fading of the background from the face.
Love the expression you've captured.

Have a great day! :)

Southern Style
09-13-2002, 02:38 PM
I think this child is adorable and you captured her expression very well. So sweet.