PDA

View Full Version : Polar bear

lmarie23
12-20-2009, 09:12 AM
My sister is absolutely crazy about polar bears so I painted this for her for Christmas. I experimented with a lot of different techniques. I used very thick acrylic paint and then I put thickener in some of it. I also took globs of dried paint off my easel and attached them using gel matte medium. In the water I mixed glass beads in with the paint. For the bear I used oil pastel over the paint, and I used oil pastel on the rock a bit to bring out some of the texture. What do you think? It can't really be altered because I'm giving it to her today, but I would still appreciate some feedback. -Lynne

idylbrush
12-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Delightful piece.

ribeyedsmile
12-20-2009, 12:58 PM
be careful when mixxing oil with acrylic.

Have fun but beware....oil is best ontop of acrylic

Acrylic may fall off if it is ontop of oil

More importantly...love the interesting contrast of color and texture

michael/ribeyedsmile

lmarie23
12-20-2009, 01:52 PM
Thank you Idyl!

Michael, is oil pastel as bad as oil paint to mix with acrylic? I knew that oil paint and acrylic paint could be a problem, but as you said, it was better to put acrylic down first. And thank you :)

Lynne

purplepansey
12-20-2009, 01:53 PM
I think she'll like it.:clap: :thumbsup:

OkeeKat
12-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Great texture work!
very nicely done!

tonyjazz
12-20-2009, 10:24 PM
You have three textures going on here and they work well together. Although it can't be altered and you asked for feedback, I took the liberty of showing you something you might consider if you do one again. The grayish areas above the bear could be lightened to blend into that great texture you have going on the top half of the painting.

I really like that trio of textures you've accomplished on this one....TJ

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2009/103497-Untitled0.JPG

ribeyedsmile
12-20-2009, 11:05 PM
lynn/imarie23

Do whats fun and what you like. Acrylics do not adhere well to oil base products. But you know that so

Have fun, looks great...I like the grey bear's furry texture...I like the sudden impact of all that BLUE...I like the painting.
Michael/Ribeyedsmile

loobyteacher
12-21-2009, 07:57 AM
How did she like it! We always want to know the reaction and personal side of giving a gift of ourselves! let us know :)