PDA

View Full Version : News and More News

Karen Margulis
12-19-2009, 10:41 AM
I am so excited and wanted to share my news with my wc friends. I just found out I had a painting accepted into the IAPS 15th juried exhibition in Brea California. My painting is called 'Early Morning Poppies'. This is my fist iaps show and I am very happy to have a painting accepted!

In other news....I have made a decision to concentrate on art full time starting in January. The last of the children in my home daycare are leaving and I had to decide whether to start over with a new group of children or totally change gears and go full time with painting and teaching. I have decided that after 21 years of daycare, it is time for a change. It is exciting and scary at the same time especially in this economy but as my favorite quote from yoda says "Do or Do not...there is no try" so I will do it and see what happens. Of course any advice from those of you who paint full time is welcome and needed!

Karen

Colorix
12-19-2009, 10:58 AM
Karen, that's wonderful news, on both getting into IAPS and painting full time!

Congratulations!

Only advice I have on painting full time is: devote regular time to marketing, consider it part of the job, and learn it well. (I see a definite drop in attention as I've marketed too little this year, being busy with other stuff.)

Charlie

gingersnap
12-19-2009, 11:02 AM
karen,
congrats on your success. i admire the foot forward for change!!! i needed this yoda saying!! i may have to post it where i see it everyday! ginger

DAK723
12-19-2009, 11:03 AM
Great news Karen and Good Luck!!

Don

Donna T
12-19-2009, 11:45 AM
That's wonderful news, Karen! IAPS - WOW!!! I wish you all the best with your full-time art career.

Karen Margulis
12-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Thank you Charlie, Ginger and Don! For marketing help I am reading Alyson Stanfield's book 'I'd Rather be in the Studio'. It is full of great advice and ideas. Ginger, I did post the Yoda quote over my desk!
I meant to post the painting that got accepted so here it is....
Karen
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2009/53551-august_art_003_2.JPG

Paula Ford
12-19-2009, 11:58 AM
Congratulations Karen!! I'm looking forward to seeing your painting at the Brea Gallery in LA next month!

Also congratulations on your decision. I wish you lots of luck and I'm sure you will love doing your art full time and that you will be very successful!

Deborah Secor
12-19-2009, 01:32 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2009/53551-august_art_003_2.JPG

Gorgeous! This is a very mature version of the studies you've made of this subject. I'm not at all surprised it was accepted! Now I hope you receive a prize, too... :D

Karen, you've already launched a career as an artist so this is the perfect time to go for it. I'm sure you'll succeed and enjoy it immensely. You already have good work habits, and now you'll have even more time to devote to the work at hand. Enjoy!

Deborah

PeggyB
12-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Congratulation Karen on both the IAPS acceptance and beginning of a new career. I see an IAPS Master Circle medallion in your future...

Peggy

sketchZ1ol
12-19-2009, 03:12 PM
hello. so many elements here done right to move it beyond a quick judge(ment).
There must be lots of children who are better for your care.
Congrats and best wishes for your future. E

Potoma
12-19-2009, 04:21 PM
Congrats on both fronts. Both are big steps and you're sure to do well.

robertsloan2
12-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Congratulations, Karen! The painting is fantastic, I can see why it was accepted. Go you!

Congratulations on deciding to go full time too. Listen to Charlie. She's right about the marketing, it's part of the job for anyone who's self employed.

Karen Margulis
12-19-2009, 07:12 PM
Thank you so much for your good wishes and advice! It means so much to me. I have learned so much from this forum and I value your words!
Thank you!
Karen

Phil Bates
12-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Wow, congratulations! Beautiful painting!

P

water girl
12-19-2009, 07:17 PM
Karen, Your work is always such a joy to see. This painting is just spectacular and I think that we all can see why it was chosen. Congratulations!
Will you be attending the opening reception??? I will post later....but I've been accepted as well and would love to meet you in person. :wave:
"the other Karen"

Mary Y
12-19-2009, 07:49 PM
Karen,
Congratulations and best of luck with your beautiful painting.
Enjoy your new career.
Mary

PETE K
12-19-2009, 10:34 PM
Karen, :clap: congratulations :clap: and best of luck on full time painting. :thumbsup:

knippes
12-20-2009, 12:08 AM
Congrats Karen on the show and the change in career. Your painting is stunning and is very well deserving. Have a wonderful time with the new career. I know you'll do great.
-Kym

Karen Margulis
12-20-2009, 09:36 AM
Thank you so much everyone!!! I really appreciate your good wishes.
Karen....I wish I could go to the show. I looked up airfare which happens to be on sale but I'd have to work out the details. I'll keep you posted. Congrats to you too!!!

Tom Christopher
12-20-2009, 10:44 AM
Congratulations Karen -your painting is outstanding and very deserving of the honor. best of luck on your new career change. tom

Dot Hoffman
12-20-2009, 11:37 AM
Karen, stunning work! Congratulations!!

Ruthie57
12-20-2009, 03:29 PM
Congratulations Karen!

mfapastel
12-20-2009, 04:37 PM
Congrats, wonderful painting! Dan

Dougwas
12-20-2009, 04:44 PM
Way to go, Karen. Congratulations.