PDA

View Full Version : acrylics and 'acrylic gouache'?

ciardha
02-28-2001, 01:14 AM
I just went art supply shopping and rather hastily bought myself some cheap student acrylics (sacrilege I know, but I'm poor and only practicing) in colors I was running out of. I couldn't find any black in the brand I was grabbing off the shelf, so I took it and and a tube of ultramarine blue from another. Anyway, when I got home I read the labels properly and realised they said 'Artist's Gouache' and down the bottom, 'Acrylic Gouache'. So...first of all, can I use acrylic gouache in the same way as normal acrylics? What's the basic difference between the mediums (I've don't know anything about gouache but its name)? Since I bought some, I may as well learn about it http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif
Second and more important for now, can I mix this gouache with my acrylic paints? Will it do anything freaky? Jump off the canvas and bite me?
I hope this is the correct forum to post in...sorry if it's not, just point me right.

------------------
-Liz

<FONT size="1">What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies.
<FONT COLOR="gray">Aristotle</FONT c></FONT s>

[This message has been edited by ciardha (edited February 28, 2001).]

cuttlefish
02-28-2001, 06:38 AM
Holbein makes a product called "Acryla Gouache". They also make regular gum-based gouache (opaque watercolor) as well as a standard heavy body acrylic also branded "Acryla". Sure, it's confusing, but what do you expect from a Japanese company with a Dutch name? At least their products are mostly top-tier quality, and carry authentic Japanese prices worldwide. From what I've seen, it's a medium bodied acrylic paint with a fair amount of matting agent added to simulate the effect of traditional gouache. Being waterproof when dry, you can paint over areas you have already, which usually results in a muddy mess with regular gouache unless you really know what you're doing.

Golden makes a line of heavy body matte acrylics with similar properties, except for being a bit stiffer. I haven't seen other brands of matte acrylic marketed as gouache, though I may have missed them.

LDianeJohnson
02-28-2001, 05:47 PM
Liz,

I am not certain about the product you saw. Technically "gouache" is considered opaque watercolor which can be used with watercolor, but not with acrylics. Since both are used with water, you could experiment by adding a bit of gouache to change the color of the acrylic, but for no other reason. But even that is not needed as there are so many acrylic brands and colors that you can mix. I would stick with acrylics, or with gouache, but not together. Especially if you use acrylics then gouache over top. The gouache will not stick to the acrylic properly.

Speaking to or calling the brand tech support would clarify the question for you best.

I am hopeful others will contribute to this discussion as well.

------------------
L. Diane Johnson (http://www.LDianeJohnson.com/) NAPA, PSA
Plein Air Workshops (http://www.LDianeJohnson.com/workshops/)

ciardha
02-28-2001, 09:51 PM
The paint is Jo Sonja's Quality Acrylic Gouache. On the back it says it's the only artists' acrylic gouache made in the world...hmm.
Anyway, I tried it with my acrylics before I read the replies to this post, doing the exact thing said not to do and painting over the acrylic with it http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif It actually seems very similar, but with a velvet finish. I get the feeling it's nothing like regular gouache, although it does say it can be used like watercolor or traditional gouache on the back.
Anyway, I'll leave it for a while and see if it mutates. Thanks heaps for replying to my questions, and if anyone knows anything more then I'd be grateful to hear it. I don't want to spend ages painting something to have it start changing color and speaking latin @ me a few weeks later...

------------------
-Liz

<FONT size="1">What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies.
<FONT COLOR="gray">Aristotle</FONT c></FONT s>

[This message has been edited by ciardha (edited February 28, 2001).]

Dima
03-01-2001, 05:14 AM
Hello Liz,

The traditional binder in Gouache is 'dextrine' and that is made from patotoes.
The brand you mention is one I have never heard of, but I know that 'Lascaux' makes a gouache that has an acrylic emulsion added to the original binder.
They say it makes it easier to work with and it almost eliminates the colourshift (contrary to acrylics gouache dries up considerbly lighter).
I would guess that makes this paint intermixable with acrylics, but the Lascaux info doesn't say so; so this remains a ???

Dick

------------------

cuttlefish
03-02-2001, 04:08 PM
Acrylics are generally intermixable with other water media, although I'm not sure as to how the mix of acrylic and gums/dextrines affects resolubility when dry, nor how they affect the strength of the paint film. I've mixed W&N designers gouache with acrylic medium and have had no problems in this regard. I haven't done anything to test this, so I recommend caution.