PDA

View Full Version : Basic 101: Class1 - Drawing Basics

Pages : [1] 2

JayD
10-17-2004, 11:25 PM
Introduction

Welcome to Basics 101. I have to warn you that these first few sessions will be boring but they will pay off for you if you do the projects and take advantage of the companion guest lecture series.

Each class will be divided into three sections.:

1. I will present the subject and do a demonstration. You may either follow the demonstration or improvise one of your own as long as you stay on track for the class.

2.. You will present the result of your class assignment and talk about the process and any problems that you had doing the assignment. All members of the class may participate with comments during this phase. Also, at this phase, you may also present questions to me, which the class may answer, either I will answer or non-class participants may answer.

3. The Guest Lecture Series—this series can be found at http://www.artgraphica.net/free-art-lessons/wetcanvas/drawing-basics.htm
Members of Wet Canvas have volunteered to provide demonstrations pertinent to the class material. I encourage you to check out this useful archive. Right now the lectures are only a few but more will be coming so make sure that you constantly check back for the lecture. If you have something that you might feel will contribute to the lecture series, please contact either Gavin (Zarathrustra) or myself by pm and we will tell you how to get set up for the series. One other thing—DO the demonstrations that have been posted—you can only benefit from doing them.

NOTE: this is a mechanics class so we are sticking to the bare basics here and we should make an effort to limit philosophical opinions. Now, on to the class:

Why drawing is important

Drawing is planning. Much of the success of any piece of art depends largely on how well it has been planned. Planning in art is dependent upon drawing and the final look of a finished piece will dictate how piece will look. I remember reading passage upon passage in watercolor instructions (Ray Smith for example) and publications like “Watercolor Magic” where great emphasis is placed upon drawing—the idea being that no matter how strong your technical skills are in your chosen media, if you have not rendered a fine initial drawing your piece will look amateurish, unfinished or empty.

This is an arguable point when you look at, say, the works of humorists like James Thurber or Jules Pffeifer whose drawings are less then awe inspiring. However, they have taken their seeming INABILITY to draw and have meshed with their words so that not only is their humor in the words but there is humor in the drawing—the two blend and that is what drawing must do for you it must blend so that only your intended idea is not distracted by a weak hand, much like a choir with the Sopranos, Altos, Bass and Tenors, your drawing are songs and the drawing and the media technique are the harmony produced.

The Masters knew this fact and as Jose Parramon writes “drawing is the mother and the father of all arts”. Drawing has long been entwined in the traditions of techniques such as painting, architecture, sculpture and even in such visual endeavors as film making. As a woodcarver, I create a three dimensional drawing, turn it into a two dimensional pattern, transfer the patter to my block of wood, bandsaw out the the shape and begin, using my gouges to shape the piece. The entire time I am carving, I will be REDRAWING or restating the drawing so that my cutting does not throw me off track.

Drawing is the dawn of the artistic process..

JayD
10-17-2004, 11:26 PM
We now come to Basic 101 which will emphasize breaking the drawing down into its geometric components, creating a harmony and finally a piece that will sing the artist’s song.

A word of caution: there are many different ways to approach this subject and just as many popular books. There may be personal philosophical issues regarding drawing that do not mesh with what I am writing. I ask that you put aside the philosophies and just take this class for what it is—a mechanics class to help you to better envision your own personal approach.

Source material

The textbook that we will be using is How to Draw What You See by Rudy de Reyna.

In preparing this course I have drawing from other sources such as Bert Dobson’s Keys to Drawing, Gene Frank’s Pencil Drawing (Walter Foster), Pencil Drawing Techniques edited by David Lewis, Barnes and Nobles’ Drawing: A Step by Step Guide, Drawing in Pencil by Jose Parramon.

Hence, if I seem to be veering off with courses that you cannot find in the book, rest assured that I am drawing upon other related sources.

Materials:

1. How to Draw What You See by Rudy de Reyna (This is an optional requirement)

2. A number two office pencil(equivalent to a 2b) or an HB or 2B pencil (the brand does not matter).

3. A sketchpad (the quality of the paper is of not matter at this point, the size should be 8.5 inches by 10 inches or better)

4. A regular eraser. If you have a number two, the eraser on the end of the pencil is fine. I use a Sakura Electric eraser but that is purely a luxury.

5. A kneaded Eraser

6. a blender (q tips, toilet paper, your finger, tortillions or blending stumps)

7. A pencil Sharpener—I use an electric sharpener but that is a matter of preference.

8. A drafting brush—optional but highly recommended.

Your Studio Space:

For the purposes of this course, your studio space is simply where you do your drawing. It can be an elaborate building, a comfy specially build room, the corner of a room (like I have) a kitchen table or an outhouse in Whiz Bang, Kentucky. Draw where you feel comfortable. My personal space is a flat surfaced drawing table with an electrical outlet attached. On top of that I have a portable drafting table that I can remove and put away when I am doing mats or whatever. I have a half sized file cabinet of to one side and on top of that sits my light table. I have a magnifier lamp as as a light source along with an Ott light and, of course three windows which allow natural sunlight to shine through. I have included a photo of where I work. Regardless, do not draw on a flat surface as it can distort your perception of your pr object. Try to work with at least a 45-degree angle.
Drawing on a flat as opposed to angled surface is a poor drawing habit. When working on larger papers (over 10 inches) your line of sight will no longer view the entire surface which can in turn lead to a distorted perspective. Even though this problem is minimal with the size of paper that I am suggesting for this class, it will become a problem if you decide to work on larger surfaces. It is better to break this habit now then have it crop up as a major problem later. If you are not using a drafting table like I like to do and instead are using a drawing board, consider the following tip: place one end of the board so that it rests in your lap and rest the other end against a surface like a table. This allows you the benefit of working on an angled surface and offers the back support that you will need to free up your hands.

Lighting:

As I mentioned before, I use several combinations of light sources: an ott light, natural sunlight, and a magnifier lamp. You do NOT need everyone of these light sources but you should try to find one that best approximates natural sunlight. I use the combination of lights in positions when combined eliminate the shadows projected from my hand. The ott light works well and there are also light bulbs that you can pick up at Wal-Mart that also approximate natural sunlight.

If you are left handed, position the light behind your right shoulder. If you are right handed position the source light behind your left shoulder.

JayD
10-17-2004, 11:28 PM
A Word About Pencils:

It is very easy to be wondering aimlessly through a crafts or art store and suddenly stumble across—the tins! Beware of pretty boxes and lovely packaging. Most of you are going to discover that, sooner or later, you’re only working with a chose few while the other members of those pretty tins sleep away like vampires in a coffin. Whenever you can try to buy “open stock”. These are pencils that you can buy individually and you can build your personal stockpile to suit your own artistic tastes.

Not all pencils are the same.

There are probably as many types of pencils as there are artists. Every one of us has personal preferences that we feel offers the best results. I lean toward mechanical pencils, 0.5mm and 0.3mm but I also like Prismacolor sketching pencils that are graphite. To me, these offer me the best control. Take your pick and look around. When you go to a store ask the storekeepers to let you test pencils to see if you like them. If the stores don’t offer this service look around some more or get your friends at Wet Canvas to post some examples before you make a purchase. I have posted some samples of different pencils for you to see.

[Insert Image Here]

The graphite or “lead” pencil is the pencil that is generally used for drawing. Pencils are categorized by their degree of hardness. B through 9B denote softer pencils while H through 9H denote harder leads. F and HB denote more neutral gradations. The softest lead produces the most intense darker values. You can use a 2b, an F or an HB to lay out your drawing before proceeding but really the choice is entirely yours.

Holding a pencil:

In the following photos, Jennifer demonstrates how a pencil is held for drawing. Not that she also has a drawing board resting against a table as she works on a sketch. Being an ambidextrous family, Jennifer is demonstrating these pencil for the benefit of people who are left as well as right handed.

The first position is called the writing position and is held like you are going to write a letter. This position affords you a great deal of control and is excellent for detail work.

The second position is called the underhand position or the “cupped” position and is good for doing straight lines, sketching and gesture drawing. This is the position that I favor.

NEVER DRAW FROM YOUR WRIST—ALWAYS TRY TO WORK FROM YOUR ELBOW. Not only does working from your wrist promote carpel tunnel syndrome but you create “tight” confined drawings.

Keeping your drawing clean:

When drawing with graphite, use a slipcover to protect your clean surface. Take a clean piece of paper and slip it under your drawing hand on top of the drawing. This will protect the drawing from being unnecessarily smudged. There are many variations on the theme when it comes to protecting your drawings. Here Jennifer is using typing paper as a slip cover as she works on her drawing. In the next photo she is using a drafting brush with the bristled pointed toward her. The brush serves as a bridge upon which the hand rests. This is the method that I prefer because I have my brush handy to brush away erasure marks or any other unwanted particles.

JayD
10-17-2004, 11:29 PM
More images for this section

JayD
10-17-2004, 11:31 PM
CLASS ONE: BASIC STRUCTURE OF OBJECTS—STRAIGHT LINES

Paul Cézanne, in writing to a colleague, wrote that all forms in nature are based upon geometric shapes. “Draw these simple shapes”, he said, “and we will be able to draw or paint what we wish since simple geometric shapes underlie all objects.”

Every object, be it you, a Michelin Tire or a tall standing Sequoia has its foundations in geometric shapes: The cube, the cylinder, the cone, and the sphere. They may not be geometrically perfect and sometimes you have to really look to find them but they are there and if you know what to look for you can build you drawing relying on these basic shapes. Knowing this fact can allow you to build a drawing with depth and dimension.

The first lessons in this class are the really obvious but let us not pass them by.

1. Drawing Straight Lines

Materials: for this class, the only materials that you will need are a number two pencil (you may sub in an HB or a 2B but the standard office pencil will do fine) and a sketchpad of your choosing. DO NOT concern yourself with the quality of the paper. Newsprint is just fine. If you want, you could use a legal pad—whatever work for you. Work within your comfort zone and certainly within your budget.

Put away all of your rulers, protractors, rolling rulers and any other tool that might help you to draw a straight line. If you are sitting on a train or a bus or plane you are not going to be whipping out the old T-Square. Always be prepared NOT to use your standard tools.

It isn’t really THAT hard to draw a straight line. I hear people say all the time “I couldn’t even draw a straight line” –there is usually a nervous laugh and then there is that look of longing because you know that they long to take a pencil in hand and do what you can do—draw a picture. The funny thing is that anyone can draw. It may not be of a sellable quality and it may not be exact but anyone can pick up a pencil and draw. Most people who cannot draw have, generally speaking, convinced themselves that they cannot draw either through their own failed experience or through comments of family and peers. We all know the feeling and we have all been there. When you draw a celebrity and you show it to your mother or a sibling and they say “who’s that?”—Well, you know what I mean.

First, decide how you are going to hold your pencil. There are several ways to hold a pencil. The first is the writing position, the second is the under the palm position. Now, practice drawing using these hand positions. Try drawing a series of squiggles, lines, and circles in order to bring these positions into your comfort zone. When you do these exercises DO NOT DRAW FROM YOUR WRIST. WORK EXCLUSIVELY FROM YOUR ELBOW.

(Insert drawings here)

Everyone operates from an angle. It’s a favorite direction for you to draw. Finding the angle that is comfortable for you easily draws a straight line. Using the wrist will tighten up your control and will produce a shaky line. Using the elbow permits more control of the pencil thus producing a smooth flowing line

(Insert drawings here)

1. Start by drawing a straight line across the paper. Now draw these straight lines over and over except each time, before you draw the line, turn the paper and try to draw a horizontal, vertical and a diagonal line. Do this over and over again until you discover an angle which gives you a comfortable feeling straight line.

Do this using the writing position and then do it again using the underhand or cupped position. See if you can note the difference.

2. Take another sheet of paper and this time, again, start dashing off those straight lines as quickly as you can. This time DO NOT turn the paper

Do this using the writing position and then do it again using the underhand or cupped position. See if you can note the difference.

Again, when you make these lines—don’t worry about being careful—this is an exercise—fire them out as rapidly as you can—try to get them straight but don’t worry if you do not—worry about taxes and death—don’t worry about getting the straight line down the first time. That is what practice is for. Which brings me to another point: PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!! Make time to do these exercises and you will create improvement in yourself.

Well, this is the end of class 1. I told you this was a basic course but don’t laugh just yet because it will get progressively difficult as we move through the 30 weeks.

Thank you for joining us.

Class Assignment: Read the chapter Eye Level: Foundation of Perspective. If you have already read it great! Take a look at the picture you did for the pre class exercise and see if you can not anything about the perspective of the piece and then locate where you think the vanishing point occurs. If you have questions, contact me.

JayD
10-18-2004, 11:27 AM
I have been weirdly down all morning and I have been very limited with my posting so please excuse my tardiness.

There is a thread called the "weekly drawing thread" which features a chair--it is a classic example of straight lines.

If you have the time, download the image and try doing the chair. This will be good practice for straight lines. Also, make sure you do that boring repetitive staight line exercises. for fun, try both your left and right hand--you will be very surprised at how well you can draw either way but also make ABSOLUTELY sure that you are working from your elbow and not your wrist. That is where many people have trouble with straight lines. It is not a matter of whether or not you can actually draw the line--it is a matter of whether or not you can CONTROL the hand that is doing the drawing--that is the key.

JayD
10-19-2004, 10:47 AM
Rui, take a look at the course curriculum in the Basics FAQ thread and you will see that we will be covering those very subjects. Just sit tight, my friend. We taking this one step at a time. Keep working on those straight lines.. You are going to need them later on.

GUYS, I SENSE RESTLESSNESS IN THE CLASS--PLEASE BE PATIENT FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE EXPERIENCED. WE HAVE REAL BEGINNERS IN THIS CLASS AND WE WANT TO MOVE AT A PACE THAT WE CAN ALL FOLLOW TOGETHER. JUST FOCUS ON THE EXCERCISE THIS WEEK AND RELAX AND ENJOY YOURSELVES BECAUSE IT WILL START GETTING HARDER NEXT WEEK AND GET PROGRESSIVELY HARDER AS WE GO ALONG SO PLEASE BE PATIENT.

NOW, I HAVE A CLASS ASSIGMENT: PART !Draw some circles--at least 20 of them of difference sizes and then fill them in with staight lines. Create a three dimensional look by varying the distance between the straight lines. Do not using any blending techniques but try to approximate as close as you can a three dimensional sphere.

PART 2--Take your chosen subject and recreate the picture using ONLY straight lines like you did with the spheres. Post the results of BOTH drawings.

I have sketched out a ROUGH idea of where I want you to go with the spheres. Pardon the hurriedness of this--you guys can definitely do better. Take your time and get them both to me at your pace--AGAIN, THE PURPOSE OF THIS IS TO PRACTICE YOUR STRAIGHT LINES.

OzonaLori
10-19-2004, 12:16 PM
Jay, first let me say that I am really amazed at the work you have done, both to get everything for the class ready, and then all of your sharing and commenting! What an awesome responsibility, and you have definitely risen to the occasion! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I worked on Stoy's weekly drawing assignment, using the "rules" that you asked us to follow. The hardest one for me, was to stick to using just one pencil. I felt really restricted in trying to get all the values I wanted out of just one pencil, when i like to mix things up a lot normally (graphite, charcoal, Conte, etc).

This is rather painful for me, but probably good medicine for my drawing skills. I generally shy away from anything that reveals my lack of expertise as it isn't *fun* to work on the things that we don't like or are hard for us, right??! And this will expose all my flaws- who likes doing that?! I am finding this a humbling experience, going back to the basics. I am not fond of drawing subjects that are extremely linear (especially ones with lots of straight lines), and I run away from perspective issues (run and hide!!!!), so I know that this will help me, but it is hard to post work that I am not a little proud of, and so goes my chair. I absolutely hate it, and here I am posting it as my pre-class assignment, because I know I can do better with it later. The proportions are off and the shadow on the right side of the chair is all wrong, but I was tired with trying to make it right. For those who haven't tried the weekly drawing assignments, here is a link to the current one:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223783

I am really enjoying seeing all of the pre-class work postings. Just think- we'll all be even better if we can stick with this class to the end!

JayD
10-19-2004, 01:32 PM
To start with this weeks assignments are:SEE MY COMMENTS IN ALL CAPS

1. Post our pre-class "intimidating subject" attempt. YES

2. Practice drawing straight lines from the elbow, not the wrist. YES, YOUR WRIST WILL THANK YOU LATER AND YOUR TENNIS GAME WILL IMPROVE. :D

3. Draw 20 different sizes of circles and shade using only straight lines. (can the lines go in different directions or one-way?) post results--ANYWAY YOU WANT--HINT: CONSIDER WICKER FOR EXAMPLE--JUST MAKE SURE YOU END UP WITH A 3D SPHERE

4. Read the chapter on perspective lines (if we have the book)--PLEASE BUT THIS IS OPTIONAL

5. Draw the chair from the weekly drawing thread (Is this to be done as a straight line drawing, or just draw it to get a feel for perspective?) post results--CHAIR IS OPTIONAL BUT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT.

6. Find the vanishing point(s), eye level line, perspective lines etc. on our original drawing. (do you want this posted?)--YOU CAN SAVE THIS UNTIL THE SECOND CLASS IF YOU WISH SINCE IT IS MAINLY PREPARTORY FOR THE CLASS ON EYE LEVEL AND PERSPECTIVE.

7. Redraw our pre-class drawing using lines (do you want this to be reducing the subject into basic straight-line forms, or do you want curved lines, cross hatching etc... basically redraw with no blending?) post results--REDRAW USING THE SAME TECHNIQUES THAT YOU USED ON THE SPHERE--THE SPHERS ARE A PRACTICE RUN FOR THIS FINAL WEEKLY ASSIGNMENT.

JayD
10-19-2004, 02:55 PM
No, this is it for the week--I added the other assignments to avert the boredom factor for the speed demons in our group. :)

Note from the Editor: This thread continues with the recent posts. The older posts can be found in this closed thread:
http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=594206

Sarosna
07-30-2014, 09:52 AM
Allrighty, finished the assignments for this class. Didn't redo my landscape though. I'm also studying a drawing book I got from the library so I'm dropping a few images off here and there to save time (WTB 48 hour days) and just try to focus on the ones I feel teach me the most. So here are my lines, spheres and the almighty evil chair. Not too happy with the spheres, could've concentrated more on the shading.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2014/1364585-lines.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2014/1364585-spheres.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2014/1364585-evilchair.jpg

arnoud3272
07-30-2014, 12:53 PM
Well done, Minna :clap:.
Please move on to class 2 :thumbsup:.

klung
08-09-2014, 12:57 PM
Hello fellow students:)

here are my assignments - sorry for the quality of lines - for whatever reason couldn't get them right even with color correction in irfanview.

arnoud3272
08-09-2014, 02:33 PM
Well done, Mike :clap:.
Very good job on the chair.

meadowsweetmom
08-18-2014, 01:25 PM
Here are my Assignment 1 drawings. I found the underhand grip very comfortable and it makes my hand more relaxed. Did I do all the assignments? I'm not sure I understand the task of redoing the chosen subject using only straight lines. Does that mean to draw my tree in straight lines?

Also, I have not seen comments by class members on one anothers' work. Is that welcome and if so where would that happen?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Aug-2014/1912930-IMG_4477.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Aug-2014/1912930-IMG_4478.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Aug-2014/1912930-IMG_4479.JPG

arnoud3272
08-18-2014, 03:48 PM
Well done, Barb :clap:.

Revisiting the pre-class drawing was originally meant to keep the fast drawers busy - the lessons were introduced one per week.
Of course comments on other participants are welcome. But don't expect people to come back to previous classes after more than a few days -- if at all.
:wave:

DC56
08-18-2014, 09:40 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Aug-2014/1892838-image.jpg Hi - my name is DanaC I was hoping to get in on the class if it is still going?

I am not sure what's going on as when I up load a file it up loads but will not keep the first up load it changes them all to the same thing even when each is a different photo ...very frustrating I even up loaded them separately!

DC56
08-18-2014, 09:42 PM
I tried to up load all three sorry they are up loaded separately here is 2 of 3

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Aug-2014/1892838-image.jpg

DC56
08-18-2014, 09:43 PM
And here is 3 of 3. Let me know what or where do I go next and if I am on track? Thank you,http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Aug-2014/1892838-image.jpg

DC56
08-18-2014, 10:07 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Aug-2014/1892838-image.jpg I'm going to try and up load the first one (the lines) of the three and oping it won't change them all to the same thing again!

DC56
08-18-2014, 10:10 PM
Now it changed them all to the same thing even when up loaded each at different times and in different posts....please let me know what I'm doing wrong as I have 2 other photos to up load and can't seem to get each individual photo posted. The other two are the circles and the chair.

arnoud3272
08-19-2014, 10:26 AM
Now it changed them all to the same thing even when up loaded each at different times and in different posts....please let me know what I'm doing wrong as I have 2 other photos to up load and can't seem to get each individual photo posted. The other two are the circles and the chair. Hi, welcome to the classroom :).
You're uploading from a smartphone. The files don't get a specific name, it is always "image". And so the photo is always overwritten by the next upload. The WetCanvas uploader prefixes the filename with the User Id and the date. So one photo per day only :(.

DC56
08-19-2014, 02:36 PM
Thank you for letting me know. I am sending the two I could not send yesterday on my ipad.
Also I thank you for getting back to me as quickly as you did...I so appreciate it!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2014/1892838-circles.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2014/1892838-chair.jpg

arnoud3272
08-19-2014, 05:17 PM
Good job, DanaC :clap:.

pooja
09-07-2014, 01:22 PM
Finally done with my assignment. And I survived the evil chair!!!! :clap:

Lines with both the writing and under hand position. I preferred the under hand position especially for the longer lines.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2014/140958-wc101-ch1-lines.jpg

Still have a few more spheres to finish but this was fun!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2014/140958-wc101-ch1-spheres.jpg

15 minutes to sketch - an hour and a half of staring at it trying to make sense of the lines :eek: Haven't got it right yet but at least it looks like a chair!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2014/140958-wc101-ch1-chair.jpg

arnoud3272
09-07-2014, 04:57 PM
Well done, Pooja :clap:.
You're off to a good start :thumbsup:. Please move on to class 2 :).

aila_t
09-14-2014, 10:42 AM
Well, here's my homework.
I preferred the normal writing position, but struggled trying not use my wrist.

arnoud3272
09-14-2014, 12:50 PM
Very well done, Aila :clap:.

alexk3954
09-23-2014, 01:28 AM
Here are my lines and circles: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2014/1962359-SCN_0001.jpg
Unfortunately my paper is too large for my scanner, I will have to keep that in mind for next time.

I feel like I have a lot more control with the writing style, and my lines are best drawn left to right and somewhere between horizontal and ~45 degrees counter-clockwise away from that. So far underhand seems most useful to me for shading, but I feel like I am gaining a bit of control.

I started to redo my pre-class assignment with all straight lines, but b/c there were no straight lines in my subject, I compensated by just drawing a lot of really small lines to form the curves. After a while I got tired of that and just tried to redo the assignment to the best of my ability using curves rather than sticking to lines only
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2014/1962359-DSCN3486.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2014/1962359-SCN_0002.jpg

arnoud3272
09-23-2014, 07:49 AM
Good job, Alex :clap:.
The underhand position is best for shading indeed, but also for the first (sketchy) global forms. The writing position is better for the fine details.
Well done, please move on to class 2 :thumbsup:.

SHatfield
10-21-2014, 04:43 PM
Here's my first try at lesson 1. I find I can draw a straight line at about a 45 deg angle from lower left to upper right with the in the palm grip. Neat. I can't seem to upload multiple pics so I'll do them one at a time.

Steve

SHatfield
10-21-2014, 04:45 PM
Pic 2

SHatfield
10-21-2014, 04:46 PM
Pic 3

arnoud3272
10-22-2014, 02:56 PM
Good job, Steve :clap:
For most people the 45 degrees direction is the most comfortable. Left-handed artists draw it the other way round, see e.g. Leonardo Da Vinci.

One of the cornerstones of realistic drawing/painting is in reproducing the correct proportions. But I cannot comment on your accuracy if you don't take care to avoid camera distortion. The picture of the chair is completely off balance. I suspect that you drew it better, and it is due to the camera angle. Take care to hold the camera (phone) perpendicularly to the paper:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Oct-2014/142886-camera-square.jpg

Well done, please move on to class 2 :thumbsup:.

mbrna
10-24-2014, 11:54 AM
Here is my first assignment. I made one attempt at the chair, but then got serious and made a second. I mean, c'mon! it's just a chair - it can't be that hard, eh?!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Oct-2014/1963649-IMG_4655.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Oct-2014/1963649-IMG_4654.jpg

arnoud3272
10-24-2014, 12:52 PM
Looks good, Michael :clap:.
How did you experience the difference between "writing" and "underhand" positions ?

mbrna
10-24-2014, 06:32 PM
Well, I don't have a preference for one or the other while drawing, and I tend to use both depending on what I am doing. I think I use underhand grip when I want less pressure on the pencil, and more for shading. I think using writing grip gives me straighter lines, but as long as I use my elbow/shoulder to draw, I seem to enjoy either grip.

A couple tips I read recently was to draw toward myself, and to look at the endpoint of the line (where the pencil is going) rather than to watch the pencil as it moves along the line. This really helps me, and makes drawing straight lines with "writing grip" easier for me.

Here is my first homework sheet. I guess I need to do the part where I rotate the page as I draw each line. My drawings were done on a clipboard, in my lap leaning against a table, which makes rotating the page a bit difficult. I'll set up something better this evening.

Thanks so much for your feedback!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Oct-2014/1963649-IMG_4662.jpg

arnoud3272
10-25-2014, 12:34 PM
Good job, Michael :clap:.

yaffle
10-30-2014, 06:35 PM
I definitely feel happier using the writing group, but I couldn't notice much difference in between any work produced by either method! My line drawing is a rough sketch of a little lamp-lit street in Paris I liked the perspective and architecture of...it doesn't really come across in the drawing but hopefully one day I'll be able to do it justice! Thanks for the lesson!

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i125/mr_mouse_photos/IMG_0607_zpsa4e87b06.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i125/mr_mouse_photos/d15c184f-0897-485c-94f7-cfb76e8eb242_zps11a3e5e1.jpg

arnoud3272
10-30-2014, 06:57 PM
Well done, Oli :clap:.

tonybbc
11-08-2014, 04:05 PM
Started with freehand straight line drawing. Very uncomfortable to start with. Now after a few days of practice it seems to feel better.

Drawing the circles then adding the straight lines as you can see I had lots of fun looking for different patterns with only straight lines as well as cross hatching.

The chair on the other hand took hours of trying to observe the shadows redrawing the chair many times until I seem a little confidant in the my liking the final result.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Nov-2014/93964-Image.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Nov-2014/93964-Image_3.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Nov-2014/93964-Image_2.jpg

arnoud3272
11-08-2014, 04:57 PM
Very well done, Tony :clap:.
You worked hard :).

Tut
11-19-2014, 04:26 AM
I drew everything apart from one circle and its contents with the non-writers grip.

I sometimes found it natural, but my hand did jump about with a nervous tick if I was drawing a line of any length - i.e. the chair legs, as I was attempting to do them in one smooth line rather than jagged lines.

I find heaps wrong with the chair, but I'm here to learn so that's great!!

The scanner wouldn't show the pencil marks, so I've had to take this poor photos with my phone.

Many thanks, Justine

arnoud3272
11-19-2014, 09:43 AM
Good job, Justine :clap:.

Good for you to practice the underhand grip :thumbsup:. But don't dismiss the writing position, both have their merits for different uses. Here is some deeper explanation (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7971627).

Please move on to class 2 :music:.

Pong
11-25-2014, 05:36 PM
Hi. Here are my lines. I found good use for both the writing and the underhand positions, depending on the task. Also, I liked drawing with the paper at an angle, and sometimes felt more comfortable pushing the pencil, and sometimes pulling. I haven't figured out how to post all three pictures at once, so the others will follow. Thanks.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Nov-2014/78813-Class_1_Lines.JPG

Pong
11-25-2014, 05:39 PM
And here are the circles. I like the underhand position for drawing the initial circle, and for some of the broader lines. Writing position seemed better for refining the initial attempt at a circle (not that I refined them all).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Nov-2014/78813-Class_1_Circles.JPG

Pong
11-25-2014, 05:43 PM
And last, the chair. The seat looks very strange, but the drawing came out far better than I expected.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Nov-2014/78813-Class_1_Chair.JPG

arnoud3272
11-26-2014, 05:22 AM
Well done, Pong, very careful practice :clap::clap:.
I haven't figured out how to post all three pictures at once Not "at once", one at a time: repeat the same process :).
What I often do is to write the compete text, leaving a few empty lines where I want a picture. Then put the cursor on each empty space and upload the image.

Nicely done, please move on to class 2 :thumbsup:.

spoll
12-09-2014, 10:13 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2014/1965070-1.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2014/1965070-2.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2014/1965070-3.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2014/1965070-4.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2014/1965070-5.jpg

arnoud3272
12-09-2014, 10:50 AM
Very well done, Stoian, you have a steady hand! :clap:

spoll
12-09-2014, 04:49 PM
:thumbsup:

jsteel
01-07-2015, 03:37 PM
Sorry if this is stupid. Are these classes at a certain time and date or do we just start any time we list?

Thanks

James

idahogirl
01-07-2015, 03:50 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jan-2015/626-Lesson-1-of-1.gif

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jan-2015/626-Lesson-1-2.gif

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jan-2015/626-Lesson-1-3.gif

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jan-2015/626-Lesson-1-4.gif

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jan-2015/626-Lesson-1-5.gif

Here is my first lesson. I took a drawing course many years ago and this is helping me get back to it. Thanks

Dee

arnoud3272
01-07-2015, 04:17 PM
Well done, Dee, you're off to a good start :clap:.

Marge Wms
01-10-2015, 02:30 PM
I never enter WetCanvas.com without learning something new and amazing.

Sketching and drawing has always been a part of my art, but I've learned more about technique in sketching in just a few minutes than I ever dreamed of! Who knew to have your paper tilted, or partially covered (to protect the WIP)... NOW.. can this "old dog" learn some new tricks? You betcha!

squatchfoot
01-23-2015, 03:04 PM
Hi,

I found I preferred turning the paper rather than leaving it stationary. I seemed to use both writing and underhand positions for both the lines and circles, depending on the type of marks I was making.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jan-2015/1966879-101-01_Lines.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jan-2015/1966879-101-01_Chair_and_20_Circles.jpg

Matt

arnoud3272
01-23-2015, 05:22 PM
Well done, Matt :clap:.
I found I preferred turning the paper rather than leaving it stationary Exactly :thumbsup:.

artist_ali
02-06-2015, 10:50 PM
here is my assignment.
really fun to do it.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2015/1967327-test5.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2015/1967327-test4.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2015/1967327-test3.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2015/1967327-test2.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2015/1967327-test1.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2015/1967327-test_final.jpg

sorry for the bad image quality.
please provide any suggestion regarding above assignment.:)

artist_ali
02-06-2015, 10:52 PM
sorry for the long post

artist_ali
02-07-2015, 03:21 AM
chair reuploaded with good quality
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2015/1967327-chair.jpg

arnoud3272
02-07-2015, 12:44 PM
Good job, Ali :clap:.
The chair is very well done.

Dutchpen
02-12-2015, 04:42 AM
My Efforts for Class 1....Circles...Pre-class- Stool...http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2015/1772578-m_IMG_0001.jpg Perstective

Dutchpen
02-12-2015, 04:43 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2015/1772578-m_IMG_0003.jpg

arnoud3272
02-12-2015, 09:57 AM
Mike -
You're off to a good start :thumbsup:.

Two observations:
-- I get the impression that you use the pencil exclusively as a pen, in writing grip. I strongly advice to try both writing and underhand positions, and in long strokes in different directions. Try out which direction feels the most natural, so you can turn the paper that way if you need to fill a shape in regular strokes.

-- perspective is for next class, please don't mix up. That said, a vanishing point is a property of a set of receding horizontal lines. Talking of a VP in your sketch is out of context :(.

Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Dutchpen
02-12-2015, 10:11 AM
Mike -
You're off to a good start :thumbsup:.

Two observations:
-- I get the impression that you use the pencil exclusively as a pen, in writing grip. I strongly advice to try both writing and underhand positions, and in long strokes in different directions. Try out which direction feels the most natural, so you can turn the paper that way if you need to fill a shape in regular strokes.

-- perspective is for next class, please don't mix up. That said, a vanishing point is a property of a set of receding horizontal lines. Talking of a VP in your sketch is out of context :(.

Yes practiced the two ways with the pencil before beginning....concentrating on the Exercise forgot to try the two methods....
do I need to repeat anything here or go to class two!!>>>>
Can you please point out the right context for my vp my drawing Thanks
Mike

arnoud3272
02-12-2015, 05:38 PM
Yes practiced the two ways with the pencil before beginning....
OK :thumbsup:
Can you please point out the right context for my vp
The right context is class 2.
Joking :lol:.
Seriously, the VP is where vanishing lines come together. In your sketch there are no VL's - because there are no receding parallel lines.

Dutchpen
02-13-2015, 03:04 AM
OK :thumbsup:
The right context is class 2.
Joking :lol:.
Seriously, the VP is where vanishing lines come together. In your sketch there are no VL's - because there are no receding parallel lines.

Thanks for the explanation....class 2 ...cool:thumbsup:

CaroleAW
02-27-2015, 02:12 PM
Hi Arnoud,

Here are my exercises for Lesson 1.

For me, the easiest lines to draw were the ones starting at the bottom left and angling up to the top right, which I think is probably normal for a right-handed person; in the future, I'll make sure I turn the paper when I need to draw long, straight(ish) lines.

I liked the underhand grip--it felt steadier somehow, but I didn't notice that the lines looked much different than the ones written with the tripod grip.

I really don't have much of a clue about cross-hatching to make objects look 3-dimensional, but I think that will be covered in a later lesson!

Best wishes,

Carole

arnoud3272
02-27-2015, 04:58 PM
Very well done, Carole :clap:.
3D look: yes, it struck me that your pre-class drawing was rather flat. But we will see to it :thumbsup:.

CaroleAW
02-28-2015, 01:52 AM
Thanks, Arnaud! Onward and upward!

Carole

DivotDiva
03-08-2015, 01:32 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Mar-2015/1892689-Lesson_1_page_2.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Mar-2015/1892689-Lesson_1_page_3.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Mar-2015/1892689-Lesson_1_pg1.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Mar-2015/1892689-The_chair.jpg Ok I have purchased the book and read the first two chapters. I have most of the basic materials and posted my pre-class drawing. Attached are assignments for lesson 1. Looking forward to more learning! I know my chair has some perspective issues - the seat should appear more shallow - but can only improve from here, right? I tried both the underhand and the regular writing position, I think it depends on what I might be drawing as to which I prefer.

arnoud3272
03-08-2015, 05:10 AM
DivotDiva - Well done :clap:.
Here you can find some additional illustration of the different pencil holding (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7971627) positions and their application.

Ladydolphin
03-10-2015, 11:06 AM
Here is my first lesson of 3 pictures.

The circles, the lines and the chair hope you like them.
At the moment I will only be using photo copy paper until I get better. Then I will be pinching my Husbands (tonybbc).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2015/1968955-Image.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2015/1968955-Image_2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2015/1968955-Image_3.jpg

Anna

arnoud3272
03-10-2015, 03:42 PM
Good job, Anna :clap:.
I like your chair :).

sapf
03-24-2015, 10:47 AM
hi here are my exercises

arnoud3272
03-24-2015, 04:28 PM
Good job, saps :clap:.
A "housekeeping" remark: your work looks very pale on my screen. If it looks the same in real life, you're too timid, don't be afraid of the dark (allowing a range of values of course). If you are bold enough, then correct the scan, either with the scanner driver software or with some photo manipulation program.

ShellyK01
03-28-2015, 12:03 AM
Hi, here are a couple of my line practices using writing grip. I made sure to flow from the elbow, not the wrist. I experimented with turning the page.

Next I'm going to try using underhand grip.

Sorry if these photos upload sideways, I'm uploading directly from my iPad and it's really hard to work with images on here.

Thanks, shelly

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Mar-2015/1969564-image.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Mar-2015/1969564-image.jpg

arnoud3272
03-28-2015, 04:51 AM
Good job, Shelly :thumbsup:.
Sorry if these photos upload sideways, I'm uploading directly from my iPad and it's really hard to work with images on here.
I think taking your pictures in landscape format will solve it.

oakenshadows
03-29-2015, 03:16 PM
My Homework
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2015/1969633-1-1-Lines.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2015/1969633-1-2-20_Circles.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2015/1969633-1-3-Chair.JPG

Thanks!

arnoud3272
03-29-2015, 04:28 PM
You're off to a good start, Matt :clap:.

oakenshadows
03-29-2015, 08:12 PM
You're off to a good start, Matt :clap:.

Thanks!

ShellyK01
03-29-2015, 11:53 PM
Hi, I have settled on my preferred straight line direction using the writing grip, and remembering to flow from the elbow. Now to work on spheres, and also on underhand grip. Then eventually the chair, and the redraw of my original challenging image. Thanks for viewing, shelly

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2015/1969564-image.jpg

arnoud3272
03-30-2015, 03:02 AM
Shelly - :thumbsup:.

lagerunas
03-30-2015, 05:58 AM
Homework:http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2015/1969691-linijos1.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2015/1969691-Apskritimai1.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2015/1969691-Kede1.gif

arnoud3272
03-30-2015, 05:06 PM
Welcome to the classroom, lagerunas :).
Well done, please move on to class 2 :thumbsup:

Marie-Thomas
04-02-2015, 11:22 AM
my first class
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2015/1695820-image.jpg

Marie-Thomas
04-02-2015, 11:23 AM
and part 2
sorry, newby mistake

arnoud3272
04-02-2015, 05:24 PM
Well done, Marie-Thomas :clap:

ShellyK01
04-03-2015, 06:33 PM
Hello,

I've been working hard on shading and improving my pencil control. First my spheres, I numbered them 1 to 7 so you could see that I improved as I went. Especially once I understood about keeping the outlines faint and nature not having black outlines. However my circle work could use improvement. They are meant to be spheres, not Tim Hortons timbits! (small deep fried donut balls for whoever doesn't live in Canada).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2015/1969564-shaded_spheres.JPG

Then I drew a chair and cat in outlines, but didn't shade it. (Took about 30 minutes). Focusing on negative shapes really helped, and gave me confidence to tackle the next one.

Then I drew the chair in this thread. See next post. It's very challenging, took about 30 minutes to get the outlines right. Then I erased outlines as best I could and shaded the whole thing. Then I did floor/wall/shadows. Left out the power point on the right. Found that my pencil control and shading skills improved throughout, so I'm most happy with the floor corner in the bottom middle. C and c welcome, but I'm happy with this given my skill level.
Thanks, shelly

ShellyK01
04-03-2015, 06:43 PM
Here is the cat and chair outline. Sorry for multiple posts, can't get the images to upload properly off my iPad. Will give up and use my laptop next time.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2015/1969564-blocked_in_chair_and_cat.JPG

Also, I've posted the source photo I used. It's from a book about cats "The Ultimate Cat Book" by Alan Edwards. Hope it's okay to use this as a source photo, it's for my own personal use, not selling/displaying etc.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2015/1969564-photo_source_of_chair_and_cat.JPG

ShellyK01
04-03-2015, 06:45 PM
And the ever challenging chair from this thread. Thanks for viewing and replying Arnoud and any others.
All the best,
Shelly

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2015/1969564-image.jpg

arnoud3272
04-04-2015, 02:32 PM
Outstanding work, Shelly :clap::clap:.

sejorules
04-07-2015, 07:19 PM
Hi all!
Thank you for all the effort to create this amazing course. I'm leaving here my assignment from Class 1. I tried to do all the shadows with just lines, trying to practice the movement from the arm, instead of drawing through small lines as I was used to. Anyway here are the results.

arnoud3272
04-08-2015, 02:54 AM
Well done, Sejo :clap:.
You're working to a good foundation.
Please move on to class 2:thumbsup:.

Mimi007
04-14-2015, 06:13 PM
Is anyone taking this class now?

SparrowHawk7
04-14-2015, 09:08 PM
Hi Kathy. Jay contacted me about your confusion so perhaps I can help. The way the classes work is that anybody can jump in and take them whenever they wish. Basically, read the instructions at the top of the class, do the assignment and post it at the end of the classroom thread. The teacher/mentor will see it and then comment on the drawing - making suggestions for improvement etc. Some people will then do the drawing over if they wish or possibly move on to the next class. There really isn't an order for the classes although in the beginning it's probably best to take them in order. Once you get better at drawing then take what interests you - but start with the 101 classes before taking the 102 ones.

So go ahead read the first few posts in this thread where Jay explains terms and gives basic assignments. Then do what he suggests and post your results as "post reply". Arnoud or someone handling the teaching of this class will come along and comment on what you have done. Once you do it a time or two you'll see how it all works ... it's fun and you'll be surprised at how much you learn in a fairly short period of time. :wave:

Mimi007
04-15-2015, 04:00 PM
Thank you very much!
Kathy

Mimi007
04-15-2015, 04:10 PM
Jay, I posted the basic assignments for class 1 but I don't know where they went.

Kathy

arnoud3272
04-15-2015, 04:20 PM
Kathy -
Welcome to the classroom :).
There is one problem: this is not YouTube, it is text-driven, you'll have to read. There is a thread at the top of the forum whose title says "Start Here!".
If you read a bit beyond the post with assignments in the class threads, you'll see that homework is posted in the thread itself, not in a new thread. Members cannot create threads in this sub-forum as you've experienced.
Keep up the good work :thumbsup:.

SparrowHawk7
04-15-2015, 04:28 PM
Kathy ... post them just the same way you did the replies here. To include your pictures. Press the image button :

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Apr-2015/61266-04152015-1.jpg

That will bring up the following screen

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Apr-2015/61266-04152015-2.jpg

Press the browse button and use the explorer window to locate the picture on YOUR computer that you wish to upload. Then click the upload image button. It will put the picture in your post. Depending on your settings at WC you might see the images like this

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Apr-2015/61266-04152015-3.jpg

Or you might see them as the actual pictures. Either way, press the preview post button and you will see them the way the rest of us will.

It's easy ... give it a try. Notice there is a limit of 800 pixels per side of a posted image. The site will try to make adjustments so images fit but it is not always able to do so. Sometimes you have to use photo retouching software to force the image to the right size. Different softwares do this their own way so I can't explain it specifically to you.

Mimi007
04-15-2015, 05:00 PM
I think ---with lots of help from the staff---this might work!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Apr-2015/1970295-image.jpg

Many thanks for all of the help!!!
Obviously I can't draw at all but will keep trying!

Kathy

Mimi007
04-15-2015, 05:10 PM
Last time I tried to send multiple pictures in one post but the same assignment showed up 4 times. I'll try 1 assignment per post and see what happens.

Mimi007
04-15-2015, 05:11 PM

Mimi007
04-15-2015, 05:19 PM
I tried!!! Once again the same assignment showed up multiple times. Please forgive all the insane postings! The assignments looked correct in the post previews. I just don't understand what is happening. I am using my iPad Air 2. Should I use a regular camera and my computer?

Sorry for the trouble!
Mimi007

Mimi007
04-15-2015, 05:21 PM

arnoud3272
04-16-2015, 08:02 AM
I tried!!! .....Once again the same assignment showed up multiple times. I am using my iPad.... Indeed, that's exactly the cause. From the iXXX devices you can only upload one picture per day. The last one always overwrites the others. Because the iXXX device does not give different names, it is always "image" :(.

Mimi007
04-16-2015, 01:22 PM
Here is my pre-class attempt. Thanks for all of the help!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2015/1970295-IMG_2543.JPG

Mimi007
04-16-2015, 01:28 PM
Straight lines and circles. I don't know how to make a circle look like a solid sphere.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2015/1970295-IMG_2539.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2015/1970295-IMG_2542.JPG

Mimi007
04-16-2015, 01:36 PM
More straight lines!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2015/1970295-IMG_2540.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2015/1970295-IMG_2541.JPG

:crossfingers:

arnoud3272
04-16-2015, 02:55 PM
Well done, Kathy :clap:.

Mimi007
04-16-2015, 05:21 PM
Moving on! Thank you.

Kathy

that-art-guy
04-17-2015, 12:39 PM
Hmmm for some reason when I upload an image there's just a black square showing up in the uploader window. Even when I go to preview post it's the same.

Does anyone know why this could be? The image uploader says it's resized my images to comply with the forum rules so I don't think it's that.

arnoud3272
04-17-2015, 01:10 PM
Hmmm for some reason when I upload an image there's just a black square showing up in the uploader window. Even when I go to preview post it's the same.

Does anyone know why this could be? The image uploader says it's resized my images to comply with the forum rules so I don't think it's that.
OK, the upload of the pre-class drawing went fine. So first question, what did you do differently? Device, browser software, ...
And its definitely better to resize yourself.

that-art-guy
04-20-2015, 06:22 AM
I've done nothing differently which is why I found it strange. All uploaded from laptop, on firefox. I'll rezise the images myself and see if that sorts it out.

that-art-guy
04-20-2015, 06:44 AM
Seems like resizing it myself sorted the job out! Anyway here's my efforts. I didn't do the circle and shading one because I wanted to do the actual class for that. The chair was just so it didn't look too bland. Also won't include all the different sheets of straight lines I did, just a few.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2015/1970229-rsz_25.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2015/1970229-rsz_4.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2015/1970229-rsz_chair.jpg

arnoud3272
04-20-2015, 12:46 PM
Very well done, Lee :clap:.
You're ready to move on to class 2 :thumbsup:.

ivonnewierink
04-27-2015, 06:20 PM
I have done it all, except the drawing from the pre-school in lines,, because that was not suitable for a line-excercise. But I have drawn some objects.

I discovered that the underhand position with the lines was not comfortable for me, but it was going better with drawing the circles.
The chair was a terrible excercise, but I have done it.:angel:

Hope it's good enough:clear:

arnoud3272
04-28-2015, 12:53 PM
Good job Ivonne. :clap:
A deeper explanation of the use of different pencil holding methods can be found here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7971627).

sharp21
04-29-2015, 08:30 AM
Lesson 1 - Lines and Circles. I actually went on to do more of each after I took the picture and started to understand what the underhand grip is all about.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2015/1970765-Drawing_101_-_Lesson_1_-_Lines.JPG

I drew it on the back of an old stability calculation, which is showing through...

S.

sharp21
04-29-2015, 08:33 AM
Lesson 1 - Chair

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2015/1970765-Drawing_101_-_Lesson_1_-_Chair.jpg

Also done on scrap paper.

The proportion is a little off, which is really what I've been trying to work on.

arnoud3272
04-29-2015, 05:39 PM
Good job, sharp :clap:.
I actually went on to do more of each after I took the picture and started to understand what the underhand grip is all about. Good attitude :thumbsup:.
Well done, please move on to class 2 :music:.

Mike L
05-29-2015, 11:33 AM
First class, first drawings. I've uploaded only two of the line drawings, but three drawings of the chair which drove me batty. I only have a laser printer and no room to draw in front of my monitor, so didn't have a great subject, but I doubt that would have helped. That chair is really screwed up! :lol:

The spheres were boring after #4, but the exercise was worth the boredom. I think I actually made some progress.

Other drawings show through the paper which aren't seen until the photo is made. Drat.

arnoud3272
05-30-2015, 02:39 AM
Well done, Mike :clap:.
Except in a few cases where it is explicitly stated, the references are more meant as examples of what you should look at. Most people copy them, but you will in fact learn faster when drawing from life. It is more challenging in the beginning, but you "see" more clearly.

JR712
06-02-2015, 05:10 AM

I took a glance at a few of the assignments and it looked fun, so I thought I'd give it a shot as well.

-JR

arnoud3272
06-02-2015, 07:52 AM
Well done, JR :thumbsup:

Norma46
06-02-2015, 08:38 AM
Here are my class 1 exercises. The chair exercise I took quite literally and did not do a line drawing, it is totally composed of series of straight lines. Not sure this was the intent given what I have seen in this forum. Not a very good rendition of a chair, but it was quite a challenge.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2015/1893196-cclass_1_exercise_1.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2015/1893196-class_1_exercise_2.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2015/1893196-class_1__exercise_3.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2015/1893196-classs_1_exercise_4.jpg

arnoud3272
06-02-2015, 03:21 PM
Well done, Norma :clap:.
The exercises in this class are meant to get acquainted with pencil handling, so any way to draw the chair is OK.

alabaster
06-03-2015, 07:47 PM
Hi everyone! :wave:

For the first exercise, I filled up a page in my sketchbook with lots of lines. I switched grips and went in all directions. Pretty wobbly!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2015/1971499-lines1.jpeg

Then for fun I tried some horizontal lines using holding the pencil in different ways/positions.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2015/1971499-lines2.jpeg

I found out that I make straight lines best in a diagonal direction, from either bottom left to top right or top left to bottom right. And making marks quickly was much easier than trying to slowly make a straight line.

Some circles -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2015/1971499-circles.jpeg

And my attempt at the chair of doom. :wink2:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2015/1971499-chair_1.jpeg

I tried to use the underhand grip as much as I could while drawing the chair, but it felt very awkward and I always reverted to gripping the pencil right near the point, hunched over with my nose about 6 inches from my paper (I'm very near-sighted so it's a life-long bad habit). It'll just take practice to get comfortable with, I'm sure.

Hoping I did all right!
Amanda

arnoud3272
06-04-2015, 12:46 PM
Good job, Amanda :clap:.
Both ways of holding the pencil have their use. More detail can be found here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7971627).

cathy~o
07-04-2015, 11:49 AM
Not sure if this counts, but I seem to have done Class 1 a long time ago because I have this chair in my sketchbook!
So, I'm going to post the photo so it can be commented on after all this time ...again...because I sure don't want to scroll through all the comments from 2009 trying to find mine! LOL
I will happily redo since I am starting from scratch here as of today if need be.
Cathy

arnoud3272
07-05-2015, 05:37 AM
Cathy -
Now that you mentioned it, I did a search and indeed, you did this class already (04-23-2009)
So please move on to class 2 :thumbsup:.

waterhorse
07-16-2015, 09:30 PM
Class 1 efforts (not having an easy time photographing for some reason; as I move forward I will scan if photos continue coming out so poorly. Maybe part of it is that I am drawing too lightly?)

I did about 7 pages of lines; this is just one (finding I have an easier time doing straighter lines moving away from me, definitely better in cupped position, straighter if I go relatively quickly but not super-speedy. Still far from consistently straight though! This seems like a good practice exercise for using shoulder/elbow)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jul-2015/1972815-20150716_Class_1_lines.jpg

Spheres - took me a while to figure out some way of using straight lines only to get the circle to even resemble a sphere. I'm really not sure if I was doing what I was supposed to:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jul-2015/1972815-20150716_Class_1_circles.jpg

Chair: trying to use lines in this felt like a somewhat perplexing disaster for me, as I really have absolutely no idea what I'm doing when attempting to shade with a pencil. I started, but I was making my chair into a mess of lines, and felt I did not comprehend and therefore was not accomplishing what the exercise was asking of me (trying to make my lines straight? trying to use lines/cross-hatching for shading? just practicing drawing a chair?) - so I left it mostly as an exercise in chair drawing. I didn't even attempt to re-draw my pre-class project!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jul-2015/1972815-20150716_Class_1_chair.jpg

arnoud3272
07-17-2015, 10:17 AM
Very well done, Jessica :clap:.
The exact style of the exercises is not important. The aim of this class is to get some practice in handling the pencil in different ways. You certainly did that :thumbsup:.
Please move on to class 2 :music:

kricketbelle
07-22-2015, 09:51 AM
Here are my completed assignments for class 1...I'm not happy with the chair...I squished it...the proportion are off, but I wasn't sure if it was worth redoing...I might give it another try again later, but for now here they are...

Glad to be doing this...thanks for putting the time and effort and putting this together for others to benefit! it's a great motivation to draw! Thanks again!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2015/1973590-101ass1-1.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2015/1973590-101ass1-2.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2015/1973590-101ass1-3.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2015/1973590-101ass1-4.jpg

Looking forward to what's next!

arnoud3272
07-22-2015, 05:17 PM
Well done, Josee :clap:.
A good practice to improve an eye for proportion - it sounds boring - is to copy rectangles as correctly as possible. Start with one side "cheated" so that you can check the other sides for correctness, draw the remainder freehand.

kricketbelle
07-22-2015, 05:20 PM
Well done, Josee :clap:.
A good practice to improve an eye for proportion - it sounds boring - is to copy rectangles as correctly as possible. Start with one side "cheated" so that you can check the other sides for correctness, draw the remainder freehand.

OHHHH! Extra practice! Thanks for the tip!...I will definitely do that! Thank you!! Thank you!!

yes it sounds boring...but I am willing to do whatever is needed to improve! :) and maybe I won't find it boring at all once I notice some improvements!

Thanks again!

cvt50000
07-24-2015, 07:43 PM
Here are my first attempts at the class 1 assignments:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jul-2015/1966760-Lines-min.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jul-2015/1966760-Circles-min.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jul-2015/1966760-Chair_1-min.jpg

arnoud3272
07-25-2015, 02:45 AM
Well done :clap:.

Katie2065
07-28-2015, 05:59 PM
Hi Arnoud,

Whilst Belgium sleeps New Zealanders draw chairs…and rub them out…and draw more chairs….and rub them out….and draw more chairs….

Underhand and pencil grip, I found both to be fine, broader looser strokes with the underhand, tighter more precise (and wobblier) with the pencil grip. The really big thing that made a difference was having the board on a tilt, not on the table. I am using a bit of hardboard with one end resting on the table and the other on the arms of my carver wooden chair (maybe I'll draw it one day, all curves and fancy legs!) It is much easier to draw this way.

Lines…I did a number of pages of these, I am just sending you a sample

Circles, again this is not all of them.

The Chair! I did it with cross hatching. Its the best I can do even though it still doesn't look right to me.

Thank you for looking at these.
Katie

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2015/1973796-101.jpeg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2015/1973796-101_circles.jpeg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2015/1973796-101_chair.jpeg

arnoud3272
07-29-2015, 02:43 AM
Very well done, Katie :clap:.
You discovered some very basic principles :thumbsup:.

naoip
08-17-2015, 05:26 AM
Hi the drawings for Class 1

naoip
08-17-2015, 07:09 AM
forgot the lines, for me its 100% draw with paper at a 20 degree angle..

arnoud3272
08-17-2015, 03:03 PM
Good job, Andy :clap:.

Anne58
09-06-2015, 08:12 PM
Well, here is my attempt at the chair. I can certainly say it was a bit of a challenge.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Sep-2015/1974832-Img_2152.jpg

Although it doesn't look like it in the image, the small rungs on the side of the chair were connected to the back legs.

-- seems my 4B pencil lines didn't always show up the best, they also seem a little grainy in the photo :( --

Anne

arnoud3272
09-07-2015, 12:41 PM
Well done, Anne :clap:.
Please move on :thumbsup:.

malworks
09-09-2015, 10:16 PM
Here are my straight lines and spheres. I found using underhand grip felt a lot more natural than I thought it would. I also have come to realize that I instinctively make a southeast to northwest straight line. I will keep this in mind for my straight lines in the future!

Also, sorry for the horrible photo quality, my scanner is being finicky right now.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2015/1975376-wetcanvas2.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2015/1975376-assignwetcanvas1.jpg

arnoud3272
09-10-2015, 04:01 PM
Well done so far, Mallory :clap:

Two-A
09-13-2015, 12:24 AM
Here are my drawings for class 1, sorry for not posting for so long. Been a few very busy weekshttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2015/1974612-img002.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2015/1974612-img003.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2015/1974612-img004.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2015/1974612-img005.jpg

arnoud3272
09-13-2015, 03:15 AM
Good job, Adrian :clap:
Please move on to class 2 :thumbsup:

malworks
09-13-2015, 11:48 AM
Chair:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2015/1975376-chair2.jpg

arnoud3272
09-13-2015, 01:19 PM
Very well done, Mallory :clap:.

widdly
09-14-2015, 03:02 AM
Class 1 Drawings..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2015/1975128-spheres.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2015/1975128-IMG_20150914_150018.jpg

I prefer the normal grip and draw straightest at about 2 oclock.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2015/1975128-IMG_20150914_150031.jpg

arnoud3272
09-14-2015, 12:55 PM
widdly -
Well done :clap:.

julieannatx
09-17-2015, 02:37 PM
Hi, here are my results. I found the underhand position to produce the straightest lines when drawing across the page, but the writing position feels better for shorter strokes. I need to work on remembering to work from the elbow rather than the wrist, and getting comfortable with that. I struggled a lot with the circle shading exercise; as I mentioned previously, my value and shading skills are generally weak, and I'd like to improve them.

Julie Ann

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2015/1975530-lines.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2015/1975530-circles.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2015/1975530-chair.JPG

arnoud3272
09-17-2015, 05:11 PM
Very good job, Julie Ann :clap:.
Don't despair, practice makes perfect, but you need patience as well :cat:

AgnesZ
09-17-2015, 06:34 PM
Here are my drawings after completing class 1. I'm not entirely satisfied with my chair, the legs are disproportionately long. Oops! Just shows I need more practice.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2015/1975503-WP_20150913_16_45_46_Pro.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2015/1975503-WP_20150913_16_45_52_Pro.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2015/1975503-WP_20150913_16_46_36_Pro.jpg

arnoud3272
09-18-2015, 05:48 PM
Very well done, Agnes :clap:.
Re. the proportion of the chair. The traditional, classical method calls for concentrating on the big shapes first, before looking for details.

Raindrop
09-25-2015, 07:33 AM
The lines exercise was instructive - I'm now starting to pay attention to where I draw from. Answer: it varies. Overall I quite like my gesture to start as far away from the paper as possible. I'd probably be happy drawing things with a 10-foot pole.

The circles: fascinating and fun, which was the last thing I expected from it! I had to fight the tendency to shade with curves rather than straight lines. My favourite sphere is the top right one - just a few straight lines, of varied length to indicate shape.

As for the chair? OMG. Chairs were clearly designed to be sat on, not to be drawn! :lol: Anyway, I'm calling it done. One technical issue is that my 2mm mechanical pencil ran out of whatever lead was in it, probably HB (I got it from my dad, I don't know what was in it). I put a new lead in but it's a 4B, so I had to switch to a 0.5mm mech pencil, with also a default lead, halfway through the drawing.

I didn't like thin pencils at all before that, but in fact, they're not that bad - I was pleasantly surprised by how my shadows came out. There's still a clear split between the 2mm half of the drawing and the 0.5mm one, but I can't blame the pencils for that!

Talking about shadows: I had more fun drawing the shadows than the actual chair.

I'm going to stop blabbering now and post the pics.

Raindrop
09-25-2015, 07:42 AM
Second part of the assignments: my drawing redone with lines.

I cheated! (Starting well, innit?) I didn't want to draw the same tree again, so I went and found myself another tree.

I'm attaching both for reference. The oak (=new tree) benefits from the new 4B lead. I think I managed to suggest leaves a bit better than with the willow trees, but the leaves are also bulkier, which makes them easier to draw. I rushed the sketch towards the end because I was getting cold.

It was fun to draw with lines. I like the end result better than the "smooth" willow.

arnoud3272
09-25-2015, 12:46 PM
Very good job, Raindrop :clap:

edjuh
10-01-2015, 09:34 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2015/1975549-taak1.JPG
Here is my assignment.
Lets first put my apple on the table :D
Fingers crossed.

arnoud3272
10-02-2015, 05:06 AM
Well done, Ed :clap:.
This first class is to get acquainted with pencil handling methods.

m_od
10-27-2015, 09:15 PM
Ok here is my 1st assignment: Writing position does seem to give more control - but that is what I am used to. Underhand is more loose and free.....Using elbow I had to watch out for arcing the longer lines especially as I went faster.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Oct-2015/1976998-Turn_Page.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Oct-2015/1976998-No_turn_page.jpg

m_od
10-27-2015, 09:16 PM
2nd assignment - Circles....well almost circles :). Seemed as I went over the straight lines with other lines.....the lead was almost starting to blend?? Or my imagination?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Oct-2015/1976998-Circles.jpg

m_od
10-27-2015, 09:17 PM
Chair assignment - Very hard for me.....tried freehand a number of times. Finally used 2 lines to reference from but still not very good....and shading :(. But that's why I am here! :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Oct-2015/1976998-Chair.jpg

arnoud3272
10-28-2015, 03:59 PM
Very well done, m_od :clap:.
Seemed as I went over the straight lines with other lines.....the lead was almost starting to blend?? Very dense "cross-hatching", but in many easy layers, is by many considered to be the most appropriate way to "shade" with graphite. "Blending" is more for charcoal and chalk. Graphite can be blended with 2 provisos:
-- lay down the required grading with layering, blend only to even out the irregularities
-- it is best used to obtain particular (blurred) textures.

KTTHEARTIST
11-08-2015, 10:30 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Nov-2015/1976612-12208536_1090524997625114_5835948622093845618_nt.jpg

KTTHEARTIST
11-08-2015, 10:31 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Nov-2015/1976612-g.jpg

KTTHEARTIST
11-08-2015, 10:32 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Nov-2015/1976612-r.jpg
the chair was very hard cause finding perspective with curved lines had to go back thru and shape the edges

arnoud3272
11-09-2015, 02:53 AM
Well done, Katy :clap:.
But please post larger images, I'd suggest 600 pixels width. It is very difficult to comment if I can't discern details.

lhandal
11-09-2015, 06:44 AM
Thank you to all involved in creating and running these classes.
Im new around here and I'm going to try and complete as many as I can.

Here are my attempts.

Until now I would have used the standard writing grip and never really struggled with it. All drawing created using a #2 HB pencil.
What I learned from this excersize was that the more I practised the under palm grip and controlled the strokes from my elbow the quicker I was able to adapt and construct those straight lines. I also learned that while still using the writing grip and controlling the strokes again from the elbow I am able to get a good straight line.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Nov-2015/1977297-Basics101-01.jpg

drawing the simple circles my first attempts were flawed as I was using a clockwise motion so my hand was obstructing the point at which I started the circle so by using a counter-clockwise motion I could control the shape better. To create darker areas of shade” instead of using a softer pencil or heavier strokes I concentrated more lines to that area. A simple excersize and some simple tricks learned.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Nov-2015/1977297-Basics101-02.jpg

Creating the drawing with both pencil holding positions revealed as with the circle excersize that I found it easier to draw the finer smaller lines with the writing position and for the larger lines I used the under palm position to give wider lines.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Nov-2015/1977297-Basics101-03.jpg

arnoud3272
11-09-2015, 12:42 PM
Very good job, thandal :clap:.
I'm glad you learned already a lot.

lhandal
11-10-2015, 07:54 AM
great, thank you very much!

Amhahn
11-29-2015, 02:23 PM
Hello! I found class 1 after jumping in at class 10 because of my excitement. I decided to start at the beginning, the basics is what I need after being a self taught artist. I did the exercises and this is my chair. This is my second attempt. I had to draw a middle grid, my free hand version without the grid was very off. This one is slightly less off! Haha! With practice I'm sure I will improve.
Annette

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Nov-2015/1977929-image.jpeg

arnoud3272
11-30-2015, 11:09 AM
Well done, Annette :clap:.
And welcome at the start of the classes - good resolution :thumbsup:.

Was the underhand position new for you ?
See you in class 2 :wave:.

Amhahn
11-30-2015, 04:28 PM
Thank you, Arnoud!

Yes the underhand method was new to me.

JLeigh1212
12-26-2015, 05:52 PM
A few of my observations in working on the Class 1 assignments with pictures. (I have multiple pages for each exercise, but only uploaded a few.)
Pencils:
I definitely like working with a round pencil as opposed to a hexagonal shaped pencil. The round fits in my hand better and I have much better control of the pencil tip on the paper. I only have one graphite pencil that is round, I'm not sure of the lead rating though. The pencil is a Sargent's Drafting Pencil. I think the lead is softer than a #2, but I can make some pretty light line with it, though I need to sharpen it often.
Writing Position:
I like this position for long sweeping lines. I find that it is easier for controlling the pressure on the paper for dark vs. light lines.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Dec-2015/1978865-Squiggles_Writing.jpg
Rotating paper - Drawing straight lines slowly N. to S and S.W. to N.E. were easiest to control.
Keeping paper stationary - My best angle for drawing straight lines in a quick stroke was W to E. The lines were much straighter with the quick stroke than with the slower attempts. Though at any angle other than W to E produced bowed curved lines.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Dec-2015/1978865-Fast_Strokes_Stationary_Writing.jpg
Cupped Position:
I like that changing the angle of the pencil allows me to use either the tip for solid smooth lines, or the side for wide ribbon like fuzzy lines. Making very light or very dark lines was more difficult in this position. Controlled curves are easier.
Rotating the paper - Drawing straight lines S.W to N.E were easiest to control, but the pressure consistency was much more difficult. Drawing at a S.W to N.E angle produced a straighter line than in the writing position.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Dec-2015/1978865-Slow_Strokes_Rotation_Cupped.jpg
Keeping paper stationary - Drawing a line in a quick stroke proved easier in this position. Both N to S and S.W to N.E produced good straight lines. Pressure was still hard to control with this position though.
Filling the circles:
Drawing circles in the cupped position was easier than with the writing position. Trying to shade the circles using only straight lines had a more graphic effect with the writing position and a more gradated effect with the cupped position. I need a lot more practice in shading with hatching! (Top half of page was done in all Writing position. Bottom half of page was done in all Cupped Position)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Dec-2015/1978865-Shaded_Circles_Writing__Cupped.jpg

arnoud3272
12-27-2015, 11:10 AM
Well done, JLeigh.
Very thorough study :clap:.
I think you are ready to move on to class 2 :thumbsup:

Pamraye
01-01-2016, 08:41 PM
It is easiest for me to draw lines in a SW to NE direction. Here they are with the hand in writing position:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2016/1978726-writing_position_lines.JPG
Here they are in underhand position:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2016/1978726-underhand_lines.JPG
Here are the circles, the "w" means I drew it in writing position, the "c" in cupped hand postion:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2016/1978726-circles.JPG
Here is the chair:http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2016/1978726-chair.JPG
The values I achieved on the chair are so light, or pale, that I was not able to create enough contrast to effectively depict the shadows. I seem to have trouble with drawing too lightly.

I didn't copy my pre-class drawing, because I already used cross-hatching to shade that drawing. Thank you in advance, Arnoud, for evaluating my assignment!

arnoud3272
01-02-2016, 01:03 PM
Very well done, Pamraye :clap:. You're good at copying the correct forms.
But as you realized yourself
I seem to have trouble with drawing too lightly. For realistic work, which I understood is your aim, it is very important to render the whole gamut from light to dark.
The basic principle is to proceed slowly, layer by layer deepening the tone. If you press too hard, you kill the tooth of the paper and it stops there. Another tip is to alternate pencils of different grades. Don't immediately jump in with the softest pencil: it will go dark, but the graphite flakes are too coarse to enter the paper texture, and you get stuck with little white flecks.
Of course, this is for realistic work; there are other styles, the extreme being a bit like the way Van Gogh painted: put the paint down without hesitation and leave it alone, never touch the canvas at that point again.
Please move on :thumbsup:

sbp
01-04-2016, 06:25 PM
Good evening!
Her are my submissions for class 1. I found that I actually like holding the pencil in the cupped position! In the photos I uploaded, the lines I drew in writing position, and the circles in cupped position. I found the chair a very fun exercise, and while I had issues with the shading, I enjoyed the multiple angles and lines etc! Thank you for letting me participate!

arnoud3272
01-05-2016, 05:39 AM
Very good job, Susan :clap:.
Re: the rotated image.
Modern cameras don't physically rotate the pixels, they add a flag in the "metadata" field to signal the display software how to render it. But older software - as here - doesn't understand, you'll have to rotate the pixels before posting. I know several ways in Windows and Linux, but I'm ignorant about Apple software.

For my own curiosity: I see you took this picture with an iPhone 6. Did you post it also from your phone? because until now iPhone users had the greatest trouble to post, and even then only once per 24 hrs :(.

sbp
01-05-2016, 06:29 AM
Thank you Arnoud.
I took the photo and transferred it (by mail) to my mac. Then posted from my mac. Thank your the info about rotation.

Susan

arnoud3272
01-05-2016, 12:47 PM

Sam B
01-08-2016, 06:24 AM
Hi. Here's my work for lesson 1
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jan-2016/1977835-lines.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jan-2016/1977835-spheres.jpg

(i'll upload drawing of chair shortly...)
All the Best!
Sam:wave:

Sam B
01-08-2016, 06:25 AM
here's the chair...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jan-2016/1977835-chair_lines.jpg

arnoud3272
01-08-2016, 01:37 PM
Very well done, Samuel :clap:.
Please move on to class 2:thumbsup:

vivspink
01-11-2016, 12:54 PM
I hope I am following the instructions for this class, I am having trouble figuring out where or exactly what they are and find I am resorting to reading and doing what other students are doing. I hope that is OK.
Here we go- the first exercise of drawing straight lines using the writting and then cupped hand postions were fairly easy. I found that for me the cupped position was more comfortable for my hand, yet the writting position felt more natural and I kept trying to go back to that.
For the circles my process was to apply even pressure, making a complete straight line across the entire circle, drawing across the circle in one pass (not going back to fill in) using only the distance between the lines to establish the light/dark sides. As I went thru this excercise the writting position seemed much easier. With the cupped position I found that I had to constantly turn my pencil to keep the lead sharp. It quickly became apparent that the most important factor in accomplishing a good result depended on how straight I could keep my lines, it was fairly easy to know where to put the next line. This was a great excercise for me because I had to really think exactly where I was placing, deliberate movement and pressure of my hand/arm. Helped me work on exactly what I think I need...
Am I supposed to draw the chair to complete the class?If so where do I find the example picture? So sorry to keep asking questions.

arnoud3272
01-11-2016, 05:33 PM
Good job, vivspink :clap:.
Am I supposed to draw the chair to complete the class?If so where do I find the example picture? It is not exactly obligatory, but it is a good challenge :thumbsup:.
This class has an extraordinary long introduction - 10 posts ! The reference picture of the chair is in post 9 or 10.

rowlger
01-22-2016, 12:58 PM
I've been doing the lines assignment with left and right, using both the grips. And I wish someone had introduced me to that cusped grip earlier! I used a 2B pencil, and when I use the cusped grip and put the tip of my index finger on the tip of the pencil, I feel I have much better control over what happens.
With left I went through the paper a few times :)

The spheres are difficult, because I have no clue about shadows and light. Yet. I did a few with my left hand as well, but that is much more difficult. I can see how using my left hand could be useful for strokes in a particular direction though.

I hope to do the other assignments for this class either today or tomorrow - the chair and the preclass drawing in lines. I'm curious. Is it ok to draw an outline of the chair first, or does it have to be straight lines only?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jan-2016/1980114-image.jpeg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jan-2016/1980114-image.jpg

arnoud3272
01-22-2016, 04:55 PM
Well done so far, rowlger :clap:.
Outlining is OK, the exercise of this first class is about lines.
You can also use "expressive lines" instead of "shading" :thumbsup: (just an example: http://jackiesimmondsartyfacts.blogspot.be/2011/10/expressive-line.html)

A "housekeeping" remark: your photos are rather out-of-focus. Almost all cameras and smartphones have a "macro" mode for short distances.

rowlger
01-23-2016, 01:36 PM
Thank you Arnoud :) Expressive lines can be used to outline then?
This is the first chair I've ever drawn in my life. Actually, the second, because the first attempt was even more terrible. The thing on the picture is crooked in every way! And I keep forgetting bits, even when I'm watching it... :confused:

For my preclass drawing I tried to use one expressive line for his nose to neck but it still looks terribly messy all. I guess the good thing is that it will be relatively easy to improve :) (I can't seem to upload both images? So the other one will be in a separte reply, sorry for the spam!)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jan-2016/1980114-image.jpeg

arnoud3272
01-24-2016, 03:46 AM
This is very fine for this class, rowlger :clap:.
I can't seem to upload both images? So the other one will be in a separate reply You're on an iPhone or iPad. Those download any picture with the same and only name "image". The WetCanvas uploader prefixes the name by UserId and date. So you can only upload one picture per "day", no idea what timezone is used. Upload by "attachment" is slightly different: when saved, the picture gets a unique attachment id. So you can still attach only one picture per post, but you don't have to wait "24 hrs"

After posting your rework of the pre-class drawing, you may directly move on to class 2, you've worked very well in this class :thumbsup:.

rowlger
01-26-2016, 02:41 PM
Arnoud, thank you for your encouragment :) Here is my preclass drawing in lines (sort of)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jan-2016/1980114-image.jpeg

reynard80
01-27-2016, 08:49 AM
These are my drawings for class 1. I tried the writing position and the underhand position, but it don't seem to be able to draw in the underhand position.

I seem to be a bit too heavy on the pencil.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jan-2016/1980431-IMG_20160127_135630.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jan-2016/1980431-IMG_20160127_135623.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jan-2016/1980431-IMG_20160127_135617.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jan-2016/1980431-chair.jpg

arnoud3272
01-27-2016, 10:58 AM
Well executed exercises, Reynard :clap:
.....but it don't seem to be able to draw in the underhand position. Still I strongly advice to practice it a bit more, for instance by way of warming up before tackling the "real" work. It is a very important skill for light and even shading and for loose and expressive sketching. And sketching is in general the first stage in any kind of visual art. It is also an important way of holding the brush when painting at an easel.
....I seem to be a bit too heavy on the pencil. Don't GRIP the pencil. And again, that is much easier in the underhand position, just let the pencil rest in your hand. And don't press the pencil on the paper, let its weight do the job in a manner of speaking.

Good job, please move on to class 2 :wave:.

KateMcC
01-28-2016, 08:55 PM
Here are my Class 1 assignments.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jan-2016/1980418-Class-1-Lines.jpg

My spheres look like buckeyes or vases of some sort. Even trying to add some wonky shadows didn't help. I hope to learn why in this class!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jan-2016/1980418-Class-1-circles.jpg

I can see lots wrong with this chair!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jan-2016/1980418-Class-1-Chair.jpg

I still like her this way :-)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jan-2016/1980418-Class-1-Lioness-redraw.jpg

Thanks so much in advance for your feedback!

arnoud3272
01-29-2016, 02:49 AM
Good job, Kate :clap:.
This class is meant to get accustomed to pencil handling skills, correct forms are of secondary importance.

simon ess
02-02-2016, 01:33 PM
Well, that was interesting!

I've never used the underhand grip before and I love it! Everything seems to flow much more smoothly. I still prefer the pen grip once the general shapes are there though. Maybe that will change over time.

When I started drawing from the elbow instead of the wrist it immediately felt obvious. It's as if your pencil is better connected to your brain. I hope that doesn't sound weird. I caught myself using my wrist at times. Habit I guess.

I wondered if it's a good idea to start every drawing session with a warm up, drawing lines and circles and other shapes. What do you think?

I found the chair a real challenge. I had several goes but I'm still not getting it.
How is it possible to get parts of it so wrong and not seeing it until later? :lol:

Oh well, that's why I'm doing this course.

Anyway, some pictures.

Lines
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2016/1980557-DSC_4835.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2016/1980557-DSC_4839.jpg

Circles
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2016/1980557-DSC_4840.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2016/1980557-DSC_4841.jpg

Circles and Lines
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2016/1980557-DSC_4842.jpg

Chair
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2016/1980557-DSC_4843.jpg

arnoud3272
02-02-2016, 03:37 PM
Very good job, Simon :clap:
With your dedicated spirit you'll progress fast :thumbsup:
Please move on to class 2 :)

amorozova
02-12-2016, 10:15 AM
Thanks God its Friday )))
Here is my first task and lame chair made while his highness has been playing with his legs and gave me some time :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2016/1981117-IMG_20160212_173137.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2016/1981117-IMG_20160212_173227.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2016/1981117-IMG_20160212_173238.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2016/1981117-IMG_20160212_173250.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2016/1981117-IMG_20160212_181414.jpg

arnoud3272
02-12-2016, 01:31 PM
Well done, Anna :clap:.

Josh.Johnston
02-14-2016, 12:02 AM
I found underhand grip to be more expressive in the strokes compared to writing position. I'm usually using a writing position but I think that is part of my issue with taking so much time overall. Underhand seems more intuitive than accurate. It's a little foreign to me as well, when drawing lines, because I usually only grip underhand when shading.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2016/1981205-Underpalm_strokes.jpg

I think SW to NE was my most accurate straight line and it felt most comfortable of the directions. Horizontal being the most difficult. I was really surprised by the result of turning the sketchbook for all SW to NE strokes:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2016/1981205-Underpalm_sw_strokes__writing_grip.jpg
Writing position at the bottom was not as accurate as I thought it would come out.

I took the sphere exercise as an attempt at 20 different approaches of utilizing lines to create a shading effect:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2016/1981205-Line_spheres.jpg

My attempt at the chair. I was approaching 8 hrs and had to move on to other things so the floor didn't get filled. My time is short some days with a 5 year old! :rolleyes:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2016/1981205-Corner_chair.jpg

And lastly, the cross-hatch version of my pre-class dolphin. I think it is overall a closer resemblance to the reference than the first attempt :clap:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Feb-2016/1981205-Dolphin_Cross-hatch.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Feb-2016/1981205-Dolphin_Reference_BW_printout.jpg

Thanks for looking and c&c!

Josh

arnoud3272
02-14-2016, 08:10 AM
Good job, Josh :clap:.
Very thorough.

nikielain
02-24-2016, 06:55 PM
Hoping to remind myself of some of the basics as I get back into the swing of things! Here are my straight line assignments!

arnoud3272
02-25-2016, 03:16 AM
Welcome to the classroom, nikielain :)
(Perspective, very important for painting cityscapes)

dashkin
03-29-2016, 09:07 AM
Hello

Here are my assignments for this class

1. Lines

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2016/1982182-class1_lines.jpeg

I'm not the lucky one who can easily draw lines in any direction. I found just one angle at which it is comfortable to draw straight line. Handwriting position of the wrist is also most comfortable for me though I feel that hand in under palm position might be a bit more steady.

2. Spheres

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2016/1982182-class1_spheres.jpeg

3. Chair

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2016/1982182-class1_chair2.jpeg

4. And finally, my cat

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2016/1982182-class1_cat2.jpeg

Thank you.

arnoud3272
03-29-2016, 03:34 PM
Good job, Daria :clap:
I found just one angle at which it is comfortable to draw straight line.
I think you missed the point. The intention of the exercise is exactly learning which direction suits you best, so that you know how to turn the paper if needed, for instance for a steady cross-hatching.

soniailaza
04-23-2016, 11:11 PM
Hello, I've completed the assignments but I don't know how to attach the photos since I'm new here, help?

arnoud3272
04-24-2016, 08:36 AM
Welcome to WetCanvas :).
Please look here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=962891) for image handling. (Note: you may ignore all references to "Resolution" requirements, that is for printing)

Rachael1
04-26-2016, 05:29 AM
Shoot me now because I think I am stupid!! I am trying first exercise and can clearly see I wish to draw from my wrist. However in order to draw from elbow I need to have wrist off the board as it keeps trying to stop the elbow flow. I can do it that way but is wrist off the board correct as in your actual pictures the wrist appears to be in contact with the board? Also any pencil stroke that is vertical or near vertical seems to be coming more from the shoulder than elbow, would that be correct? Sorry if these questions are extremely basic but I could do with some clarification.
Thank you for such a wonderful resource and help, you must all have great patience. Hope so as, you are going to need it soon!!:lol:

arnoud3272
04-26-2016, 08:25 AM
Welcome to the classroom, Rachael :)
Yes, the correct way to draw - except for fine details, in "writing" grip - is with the wrist off the paper. See this post (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7971627) for another illustration.
Indeed, "from the elbow" is not entirely correct. In Chinese calligraphy they even say: "draw from the belly".
PS. The "guest lectures" are here (http://www.artgraphica.net/free-art-lessons/wetcanvas/drawing-basics.htm).

Rachael1
04-26-2016, 08:32 AM
Many thanks Arnoud, that is very helpful. I will keep at it and post my starter picture soon! The link is also great and very poignant as I too am left handed!

tthrasher53
04-27-2016, 03:27 PM
I did right hand and left stuff. I found I'm pretty comfortable with both hands and in all ways of holding the pencil. But I know I do alternate between under palm and way back on the pencil more.
Now let's hope I can do attachment! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2016/1983780-lines.jpg

thanks

tthrasher53
04-27-2016, 03:28 PM
Don't know where my circles went? sorry for strong shadow..

tthrasher53
04-27-2016, 03:29 PM
Ok.try this again! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2016/1983780-circles.jpg

arnoud3272
04-27-2016, 04:54 PM
Welcome to class 1 :)
I assume it will look good, but the image is so small that it is difficult to judge.
Images up to 800 x 800 pixels are accepted by the uploader. Although it is more elegant to restrict the height to 600 or so.

Rachael1
04-28-2016, 11:14 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2016/1983860-Photo_on_28-04-2016_at_15.20.jpg Starter photo

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2016/1983860-Photo_on_28-04-2016_at_15.21.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2016/1983860-Photo_on_28-04-2016_at_15.21_2.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2016/1983860-Photo_on_28-04-2016_at_15.15.jpg

Thank you so much for the help and advice this site offers.
Not making excuses but just started trying to paint this year and drawing about six weeks ago. Found the chair very challenging, not happy with it yet but doubt I will ever be! Not sure if I would risk sitting in it!!
Sorry all the images are the wrong way around I had to use Photo booth.

arnoud3272
04-29-2016, 01:34 PM
Good start, Rachael :clap:.

lep0224
05-02-2016, 01:25 PM
My original post went into the ether when I tried to preview it.

I found while drawing underhand I could produce softer lines than with pencil grip. I did switch between the two while doing each of the excercises.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2016/1983753-image.jpeg

lep0224
05-02-2016, 01:45 PM
You'd never know I was in IT. Sheesh. Loading pictures here is not simple on an iPad. I'm going to leave this here for editing later.

lep0224
05-02-2016, 04:03 PM
I apologize for the image spam. I switched to my laptop and the edit button has disappeared.

Final 3 pics:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2016/1983753-IMG_1063.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2016/1983753-IMG_1064.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2016/1983753-IMG_1065.jpg

arnoud3272
05-03-2016, 02:24 AM
Good job, Lisa :clap:.

DawnDR
05-22-2016, 08:40 PM
Line practice, both hands, both grips (the arrows were so I could tell which direction I was drawing in, for finding my best paper orientation):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2016/1969555-IMG_7154.jpeg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2016/1969555-IMG_7155.jpeg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2016/1969555-IMG_7158.jpeg

And the chair:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2016/1969555-IMG_7157.jpeg

arnoud3272
05-23-2016, 03:02 AM
Very well done, Dawn :clap:.
This class is about getting acquainted with pencil techniques. You practiced a lot, very good.

DawnDR
05-23-2016, 05:06 AM
Thanks Arnoud! :)

Paichka
05-26-2016, 09:40 PM
Hello all!

I need to figure out how to resize my uploaded photos. :-) I got used to the overhand position pretty quickly, so I'm going to keep practicing.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2016/1984876-assignment_1.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2016/1984876-chair.jpg

arnoud3272
05-28-2016, 05:14 PM

ruiting
05-29-2016, 08:56 AM
https://c8.staticflickr.com/8/7335/27255660031_be37ef1849_z.jpg

https://c5.staticflickr.com/8/7110/27292517756_e484350fd7_z.jpg

I just can't wait, so I spent the last couple hours doing this.
The underhand position is quite unfamiliar. Yesterday in a life drawing class, I tried to use willow charcoal in this position, and felt that i could not control what i was doing at all. However today, after some practice with the pencil, it started feeling right and comfortable.
The hardest line is the diagonal one from my top left corner to the bottom right corner. It felt awkward while drawing this type of line.
Thank you for this wonderful exercise! I really enjoyed it!

arnoud3272
05-29-2016, 09:40 AM
Good job, ruiting :clap:.
The underhand position is the most appropriate for working at the easel.
The exercise of different "diagonal" strokes is to realize which way is your natural direction, so you know what to choose when you need a regular pattern. If necessary (and possible) turning your paper.

Brew62
06-11-2016, 05:07 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2016/1222484-lines.JPEG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2016/1222484-spheres.JPEG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2016/1222484-chair.JPEG

I actually did more line drawing exercises than shown here. I found the underhand position very awkward. When doing the spheres and chair I used mostly the writing position.
Thanks for reviewing my work.
BD

arnoud3272
06-12-2016, 02:43 PM
Very good job, Brew :clap:.

Brew62
06-12-2016, 09:35 PM
Thanks, Arnoud!

GeneH2016
06-26-2016, 11:40 AM
Wow. Glad to see these drawing class threads are still active. Kinda hate reviving zombie threads. I finished the line, circle, and chair exercise, will upload as soon at my thread count allows. On to Class2.

MessyBun
06-29-2016, 03:27 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2016/1985969-20160628_181413_104521.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2016/1985969-20160628_181452_104519.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2016/1985969-20160628_183649_104516.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2016/1985969-20160628_181041_104522.jpg

Although I think my lines are a bit straighter in writing position, I favored the underhand position a lot more than I thought I would ^_^
I was a bit afraid that I wouldn't like it haha

I wanted to draw the shadows of the chair but I couldn't quite figure it out, I had trouble with shading too.

Even though it's just the basics I'm actually having fun with it :lol:

arnoud3272
06-30-2016, 02:52 AM
Very well done, Christine :clap:.

GeneH2016
07-01-2016, 08:59 PM
Sooo glad this class and these threads are not closed. :clap:

Here are the first assignment pictures. Pretty obvious to me now gaining a realistic 3D drawing compared to Jr.High drafting classes is going to be a...long road.

Challenges in this assignment:
-using lines to make a sphere is going to take time and concentration.

-I like the back of the chair. Problems though are the chair doesn't have the smooth tone range I want; really dark (good)and really light monotone. Somehow the mid-tones and highlights just didn't come together. Perspective is off. I didn't catch the seat going a to a different vp than the back. Legs too skinny and again, just ... off.

-getting the jpg image close to the drawing is a hassle yet, have to crop and photoshop. The drawings are on white printer paper and clean, yet look smudged and dirty in the jpg's. Phone camera and 1 of 2 scanners just are not doing it - will try the other scanner later.

arnoud3272
07-02-2016, 03:12 AM
Good work, Gene :clap:

Sketchy Sketches
07-06-2016, 08:04 AM
Hello Arnaud,

Here are my assignments for class one.
To be honest, the chair was a kind of a challenge. Proportions and drawing from the right perspective are still a difficult to me. I'm looking forward to drawing the chair again in a while and hope to have made some improvements by then.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2016/1986175-IMG_3518.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2016/1986175-IMG_3538.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2016/1986175-IMG_3537.JPG

arnoud3272
07-06-2016, 05:28 PM
Very well done, Jeroen :clap:.

Ratchet
07-08-2016, 07:17 PM
The photo of the line appears blue. The camera turned the entire photo blue but it is a graphite yellow school pencil. Should be black.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2016/1986131-1_Lines.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2016/1986131-1_Chair.jpg

Ratchet
07-08-2016, 09:50 PM
I corrected the chair rungs. I don't have a printer so I have to look at the photo then draw it at the table. I should have checked it before I postedhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2016/1986131-Chair_2.jpg

arnoud3272
07-09-2016, 02:36 PM
Good job, Ratchet, very well done :clap:.
The "lines" exercise is meant to loosen up, the idea is to draw long lines, not short scratches that you can draw without changing the position of your arm.

Carolshmarol
07-09-2016, 09:10 PM
Ok, here goes....

I found it easier to draw underhanded - like you're holding a pencil. I found that when I drew overhand, that I usually arched my lines for some reason.
I did many more line drawings but only included one page. More to come...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jul-2016/1986386-linesscaled.jpg

Carolshmarol
07-09-2016, 09:12 PM
Circles:

I don't know how to draw 3D circles so I just did 2D with lines.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jul-2016/1986386-circlesscaled.JPG

Carolshmarol
07-09-2016, 09:14 PM
Devil-chair...
This was not easy for me at all. I had to start over because something just didn't look right. This pic here - something still doesn't look right but I'll be at this all night so I'm submitting it. :lol: Keep in mind, this is my first time for everything.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jul-2016/1986386-chairscaled.JPG

arnoud3272
07-10-2016, 02:58 AM
Very good job, Carol :clap:.
Underhand and overhand grips each have their application. More in this post (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7971627).

Ratchet
07-10-2016, 09:21 PM
Thank You, Arnoud. I am working on Class 2. I am slow but there are some perspective questions in Class 2 that I have been meaning to study more carefully.. I am taking the opportunity to learn, with a teacher. I never had a teacher before. I appreciate it!

runawaycoconut
07-17-2016, 01:38 PM
Hi, I am really happy I found this class, the structure and examples motivate me. My lines aren't as straight I would like them, and at first turning the page confused me. Haha I am not sure why but I hesitated before deciding which direction to draw the line. My circles got a little better with practice, but I struggle with shading which can really be seen with the chair exercise.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2016/1986671-straightlines.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2016/1986671-circles1.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2016/1986671-circles2.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2016/1986671-chair1.jpg

arnoud3272
07-18-2016, 03:10 AM
Well done, you're on the right track :clap:.