PDA

View Full Version : Gallery Invite

CM Neidhofer
12-15-2009, 08:32 PM
A few months ago I stopped in at the Majestic Gallery here in Idaho Springs. I was just wasting time, prolonging the trip to the dentist across the street. I made a few inquiries and found out that it's a co-op gallery and I introduced myself and said I work with pastels. The lady asked if I would like to leave my name and phone number, but that there was a long waiting list. I said "sure" and did so, never giving it another thought. Two weeks ago, I got a phone call from the gallery, asking me to submit four pieces of my work for jurying into the gallery, along with an inventory and price list!!! I am ready to deliver the pieces tomorrow and keeping fingers crossed that they're accepted. This will be a MAJOR first step for me in my artistic endeavors! Wish me luck!

Donna T
12-15-2009, 08:42 PM
Best of luck to you, Christine! I hope we hear some good news soon!

CM Neidhofer
12-15-2009, 08:53 PM
Thanks, Donna! Judging is on the 20th.

Deborah Secor
12-15-2009, 09:22 PM
Hope it goes well for you, Christine!

Deborah

allydoodle
12-15-2009, 09:38 PM
Good Luck! Hope to hear good news from you soon!

robertsloan2
12-15-2009, 11:17 PM
Good luck, Christine! That sounds great. I hope you get in and that your pastels start selling as fast as you can do them.

Scottyarthur
12-15-2009, 11:34 PM
Best Wishes Christine. :)

Dougwas
12-16-2009, 12:29 AM
Good luck, Christine. I hope everything goes well for you.

Doug

Colorix
12-16-2009, 01:24 PM
How great! The very best of luck! You deserve it!

Charlie

water girl
12-16-2009, 01:25 PM
I'm sending positive thoughts your way. Please let us know what happens. How exciting for you.

DAK723
12-16-2009, 01:26 PM
Good luck!

Don

granddad
12-16-2009, 01:33 PM
Gook luck, james

CM Neidhofer
12-16-2009, 01:48 PM
Thanks, everyone, for your good wishes!!

Paula Ford
12-16-2009, 06:03 PM
Good luck Christine!

ElsieH
12-16-2009, 06:38 PM
:wave: Hi, Christine,

This is wonderful news! Congratulations and good luck!
Thanks for sharing this great possiblity! :clap:

PETE K
12-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Hi Christine, Good Luck! and congratulations.

Mstechart
12-16-2009, 09:24 PM
:clap: Congratulations Christine and I second what RobertSloan said -- I hope your pastels start selling faster than you can paint them! How exciting!

nvcricket
12-18-2009, 12:47 AM
Best of luck to you Christine!!!

Gosh, I'd be a nervous wreck. See something good does come from those awful dentist visits!

Carol

saramathewson
12-18-2009, 11:12 PM
Good luck Christine!

Sara

CM Neidhofer
12-20-2009, 11:18 PM
Thanks, everyone, for your good wishes. Today was the jurying, to my knowledge anyway. I haven't heard a thing. Is this normal? Good or bad?? Am I just impatient?? Should I have been there? I didn't think being there would be a good idea and no one said I should be there, just to drop off my paintings. Now I AM a basket case!!! lol

Colorix
12-21-2009, 07:56 AM
Aw, Christine, I guess you were definitely not expected to be there, as the jurors would want to express themselves clearly, and they will let you know the result. Hopefully they're not waiting till after the holidays... and may it be a 'yes, you're accepted'!

Charlie

robertsloan2
12-21-2009, 11:20 AM
Yeah, they probably don't want any of the artists there for the discussion. I can understand the wait is nerve wracking. Just relax. I hope your paintings are accepted and the jurors love them -- and do think they'll sell like mad once shown.

CM Neidhofer
12-21-2009, 11:41 AM
Yeah, they probably don't want any of the artists there for the discussion. I can understand the wait is nerve wracking. Just relax. I hope your paintings are accepted and the jurors love them -- and do think they'll sell like mad once shown.

I don't know if/how they will sell, if accepted. One of the questions I asked was how long the gallery has been there and the answer was 25 years. So I'm assuming they sell art on a regular basis.

CM Neidhofer
12-23-2009, 08:25 AM
Well, now I've found out they may not judge the paintings for a month or so. Guess I'll just put it out of mind like I did the first time. :(

Colorix
12-23-2009, 10:02 AM
Bummer, yes that's best, just simply forget all about it, what will be will be. Enjoy the holidays!

Charlie

CM Neidhofer
01-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Received a call yesterday to let me know that I was not accepted into the Majestic Gallery. The owner called me. The committee was split right down the middle on my work. However, they felt that I still needed to work a little harder, mainly with composition. She said the fact that I work with pastels was also in my favor, since they only have two other pastel artists, but still not quite there. She said I do have some great building blocks already in place, but need that composition work. Soooo....back to square one for a while and try to learn more about composition. And I know all jurying is subjective, so I'm not disappointed. Happy that I had the chance to try, actually! She said to definitely not forget about them either. :thumbsup:

Colorix
01-02-2010, 07:31 PM
Christine, aw... but, OK, good to know, and it is something you can work on and learn more about in a fairly short time, and then!

Charlie

knippes
01-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Christine, I'm really sorry that you "temporarily" received a no from the gallery. But it certainly sounds like a rather positive no in that you know exactly what needs to be worked on and that half of the jurors liked your work. Hopefully you can try again later this year and will receive yeses across the board.
-Kym

CM Neidhofer
01-02-2010, 08:00 PM
Thanks Kym and Charlie. Yes, it was definitely a positive conversation.

Tracy Lang
01-02-2010, 10:49 PM
Hi Christine,
What a great way to start off the new year! You are on your way (yes, I realize you were not accepted, but as Kym said...it's temporary)
You put yourself out there (which is a huge hurdle for many of us) and got wonderful feedback. Best in 2010!!!

Tracy

Scottyarthur
01-03-2010, 02:24 AM
Sorry to hear christine, but they seem to be interested in your work and that is a good thing. jurying is subjective and I have been turned down many times, it just makes me look at my work and work out the details for the next one. I have had the same peice rejected by one and accepted by another, so it may just be the differance of what they were looking for this time, your work is great, so keep painting and go for the next one.

robertsloan2
01-03-2010, 04:08 AM
That's the kind of rejection that if I were sending in a novel or a story, would get me coming right back to them with the changes. Definitely work on composition, if it was that touch and go about your portfolio then you can wow them with the next batch.

Both of the times I got that kind of reaction, I sold the story with the changes. So for this they're really looking at "not yet" rather than "No" and want to see how you handle critique.

It sounds a lot like what editors say on fiction submissions. I'd say work on composition and submit the other paintings to other galleries. It couldn't hurt to have more than one!

timonsloane
01-03-2010, 01:37 PM
All artists receive lots of rejections. Learning to handle rejection is an important part of becoming an artist if you want to show your work. Think of it as if you have to accumulate 100 rejections to begin to really achieve success. Just consider this one step along the path.

It's actually very positive that you got a call and a detailed explanation of the jurying results rather than just a form letter. Consider this a form of positive feedback.

Potoma
01-03-2010, 05:47 PM
When so often we get no feedback beyond the rejection, this is bad news laced with hope. I hope you conquer the composition demon easily. It's a tough one.

Deborah Secor
01-03-2010, 11:12 PM
Christine, I really think you shouldn't let this be the final word with this gallery. Co-op galleries are often in flux, with people coming and going, so I suggest you set a goal to approach them again with four new pieces that you believe show great growth. This was most definitely not an outright rejection, and you'll have the advantage next time of being able to talk to the gallery owner (by name) and recall this conversation with her. That's the kind of thing that lets them know that you'll also be an asset to the gallery because you listen and respond to things! If you don't know, ask how often they jury and set that goal...and go for it again. If that doesn't work, you have four excellent paintings to use to approach the next gallery!

Deborah

CM Neidhofer
01-04-2010, 12:02 AM
Deborah, I don't know how often they jury, but I do know she told me they've only lost three people in three years.

It's all a positive experience. My life is kind of up in the air at the moment with some possible major changes coming again, so I'm not disappointed and if I'm able, I will approach them again in the future.

PETE K
01-04-2010, 02:07 AM
Christine, You just need to find out when they jury again or it they have a waiting time you have to wait to sumit again. It was really nice they called you. this is one of my jobs i get to do. and its the only part of the gallery i hate. some gallerys have a 3 month to 6 month time to resumit. so ask them it shows you are very interested in there gallery. there is a gallery i tried to get in and was turned down twice. and only got a letter from them stating my work wasn't strong enough. I thought i wasn't good enough. what i found out my price was to high for being an unknown. now i'm in there gallery. and lowered my prices some and selling very well. it ended taking a year and a half to get into that one. it was nice she talked to you. you know your weak spot (as per the owener) work at it and you will get in the next jury.