PDA

View Full Version : The Train - for C and C please

arl
12-15-2009, 11:01 AM
First, I want to wish everyone a happy and safe holiday and new year. This painting is on 8 by 10 inch canvas. It is based on an image in a free image site. All comments would be welcome. I noticed that I'll have to lighten the violet cloud on the right. I also want to soften the edge of the right front train that meets the trees. When I scanned it, the front platform seemed too intense so I will mute that as well as lighten the black bolt to the back light. All advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Dec-2009/114108-train0001.jpg

arl
12-16-2009, 05:24 AM
Some advice would be appreciated, so I thought I would move it up. Thanks.

debee
12-16-2009, 09:59 AM
Well, I've never seen a train shaped like that before so it would be helpful to see your reference to get a better idea of what I'm looking at. The color of the sky and the train are so close that it's a little confusing trying to figure out where they begin. I would work on deepening the values of the foreground area, the trees and the front of the train.

Nonno
12-16-2009, 03:10 PM
Yep! It's Mallard, a streamlined British loco which once held the world record for a steam hauled train at 125.88 mph (202.58 km/h). This was in 1938. A most distinctive shaped and attractive locomotive.

I agree with Debbie that you need to increase the contrast between the train and the background to make it stand out more.
Also, the loco is a 4-6 2 which means that there should be another small wheel in the gap between the small front wheel and the first large one.

Keep working on it. I think there's lots of promise in this.

Jonathan.

arl
12-17-2009, 05:27 AM
Thanks for the help.

shadwell
12-17-2009, 06:09 AM
i like the style you have done this in , very reminiscent of the 1920s 1930s railway advertising posters used by uk railway companys at the time

for me personaly there is a little too much height on the trees on the right giving the impression the train is going to go up them lowering them should also emphasize the trains glamourous streemlining

you have caught the locomotives shape realy well it more than likely would have been a photo of mallard you were working off but that's not necessarily true as a lot in that class " the A4 pacific class " were blue in l.n.e.r. service and indeed quite a few were b.r. blue when the railways were nationalised to b.r. service

the main large driving wheels were originaly under fairings although most were removed during ww2 to make maintnance faster and easier

which brings me onto the last thing i would personaly alter the loco's were known as " pacifics " which means they had a 4-6-2 wheel layout on your painting one of the small wheels at the front and the cylinders are ommitted in the area where you detailed

not realy necessary but it is something i would personaly include

a little more smoke flowing back and thinning out as it gets down the carriages would give more indication of the speed of this machine

other than these small things i love the style you have chosen for your subject
here's a shot of " the union of south africa " for comparison

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2009/208070-union_of_south_africa_butcher_july08_470x336.jpg

arl
12-18-2009, 05:35 AM
Thanks you for your help.

Al talk
12-18-2009, 11:01 AM
Hi!
These suggestions are based on the ref. provided by Shadwell. Also I paint in a more impressionistic/realism style. Hope this helps?
Al

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Dec-2009/181826-untitled.JPG

ribeyedsmile
12-18-2009, 11:41 AM
arlene,
Good to see you and a happy holiday to you.

Your art is very light and colorful. I enjoy all the variation of blues in it.

From what you show us I assume you want to be realistic and you like photographic realism or something similiar.

Your train painting can be alot stronger with deeper, heavier contrast.

I think that to do so might wreck what you have done here.

I suggest doing a drawing and getting a better understanding in black and white. Maybe do the painting in just greys, blacks and whites.

I suggest 2 quick studies of maybe a half hour of effort to look at contrast and value

1. use only black paint.....dont use white....respect the white of the canvas and think ahead.
2. use black, middle grey and white but try not to blend tones ....try to respect the realism you want with careful value studies.

then come back to your colorful train and think about whether you want to fix it or try again.

Michael