PDA

View Full Version : Basic 101: Pre-Class Assignments and FAQs

Pages : [1] 2

JayD
10-07-2004, 08:52 PM
Note from the Editor: This first post is ONLY kept for its historical value.
See the thread Start Here! (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582502) for the current information.

Basic 101: Pre Course Assignments and FAQs

Hello and welcome to Basic 101. I hope to answer some questions regarding Basic 101. Here goes:

For the Class Members

1. When does the class Start?

Monday October 18th.[Ed: 2004] A new class will be posted each week in conjunction with Stoy Jone’s Weekly Drawing Thread

2. I’m confused. How does all this work?

Each week I will do a project. You will follow along and do the same projects and any of the outside class assignments. You will post your results on the thread for that week.

3 Do I HAVE TA?

Not at all. This is voluntary and no harm will befall you.

4. Are there deadlines?

NO. Work at your own pace—you finish when you finish. Some of you will finish in one week while others will take longer. No harm there as we all will be representing different skill levels and work speeds.

5. What are the guest lectures?

The guest lectures are a series of demonstration supplements with comments by some of the WC artists who have volunteered their time to participate. When you finish a project and are hungry for more—go to the lecture hall at artgraphica.net and find a lecture and then follow it. Now here, you can pick and choose outside the course outline if you want. The object is to play and to experiment.

6. Artgraphica.net? Why there? Why not here?

Well technically that is three questions but here goes. Artgraphica was chosen to enhance the look of an “academic” atmosphere. Its for fun. Something different. You don’t go there to buy anything but best of all the threads wont drop down to the bottom and disappear into the land of forgetfulness. I have offhandledly proposed a “learning center” for this forum to Murray so if you want such a place let him know. At that time the lectures could also be housed on the WC in an archival manner. The OTHER reason that I asked Gavin to house it over there is because I hope, at some point, to also contact NON WC artists who might want to voluntarily contribute lectures of which you can take advantage and hopefully profit from the learning experience.

Is there a book?

Boy, you DO ask some excellent questions. Yes, there is a book. It is called “How to Draw What you see” by Rudy de Reyna. The course outline follows the chapters in the book. Don’t wait for the movie.

AHA! You’re selling a book? I gotta buy a book?

Not at all. You don’t need the book for the course since I am basing the projects on the book but I would strongly advise you to get it if you can—if you can’t don’t worry. I went through many a class without reading the assignments and I survived. This will be very easy to follow.

Why You?

Good Question—Why Not?

For the Lecturers:

What is a Guest Lecturer?

A guest lecturer is a voluntary contributor of a demonstration either based on the de Reyna book or drawn from his or her own personal experience. The idea is to give the student extra practice time under the guidance of some of the more experience talent that is frequenting this board. Essentially, a guest lecturer is a mentor, a consultant and a friend.

Why not call them demonstrators?

Well, you could—but to me demonstrators sell rubberstamps, Tupperware and protest the plight of the red speckled duckbilled porcupine. A guest lecturer is more in keeping with these volunteers more academic standing and, to me, symbolizes the respect that I have for these people for jumping in to help.

Can I be a demonstrator…er… lecturer?

Absolutely. Just contact either Gavin or myself—let us know what you want to do and we will sign you right up. I need at least 18 more lecturers ideally. Your skill level does not matter—we all have gifts that can be contributed.

Do I get paid?

Uh…no. But please accept our abject love and adoration.

If the lectures are posted over at artgraphica.net—how to do I post my lecture?

Email them to Gavin and he will post each lecture in the hall. If you are not shy, consider including a picture of yourself and a brief bio (optional of course).

The pre class assignments:

1. Read the De Reyna Book up to page 26 and do the exercises in the book. If you do not have the book do not worry, you will be brought up to speed during the first class on October 18th

2. Find a picture of something that you want to draw but have felt intimidated about attempting. Draw the picture and do NOT worry about mistakes and then post it in the first class thread. This will be your reference picture to give us an idea of your level. DO NOT throw this picture away.. Your final project in this class will be to take the same picture and draw it again using ANY of the techniques that you have learned. Please post your first picture. This is important.

4. At the end of each class you will be given assignments to complete, if possible, before the next class—PLEASE DO NOT TELL ME THAT A DOG ATE YOUR HOMEWORK AS WE HAVE NO REAL DEADLINES HERE. RELAX.

Materials:

For the first part of this class put away your chalks, your derwents, your prismas, your mechanical pencils and fancy draw a ma doodles. We will be working with a number two pencil, an eraser, a pencil sharpener and a sketch pad..

For the current Lecturers

Here is the current list:

Artdude (Murray)

Zarathrustra (Gavin)

Stoy Jones (that would be Stoy Jones)
Jet Liera

Eclipse (Armin Mersmen)

Deepat (Dierdre)

Paintsplatter ( I HAVE NO idea what this persons name is as she signs her name with an initial but she is one of the nicest people I have ever encountered.

Tim Chaffee

Dordy

Silksatin (Bonnie)

Alfredart (Al)

Celia

IF I HAVE MISSED ANYONE OR YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE ADDED OR DELETED TO OR FROM THE LIST,LET GAVIN OR MYSELF KNOW. AGAIN, I NEED MORE LECTURERS SO STEP UP AND JOIN THE FUN IF YOU DARE.

PLEASE EMAIL GAVIN OR MYSELF YOUR TOPIC PICS AND ALSO WHEN YOU SEND IN YOUR LECTURE PLEASE INCLUDE, AT YOUR DISCRETION, A PICTURE AND A BIO (THIS IS OPTIONAL OF COURSE BUT WE WOULD LOVE TO HEAR ABOUT YOU).

LASTLY, THANKS TO ALL OF THE VOLUNTEERS, BOTH LECTURER AND STUDENT, FOR GIVING US THE SUPPORT TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN. THIS IS YOUR CLASS SO GO HAVE SOME FUN!

DON’T FORGET—ALL QUESTIONS COME WITH ANSWERS SO ASK AWAY IF YOU ARE CONFUSED OR YOU JUST WANT TO ASK QUESTIONS.

JayD
10-09-2004, 03:36 PM
I would suggest that you start from scratch but,please understand, work within your comfort level--the class is geared toward basics and a general progression--you get your ma doodles back--I noticed that some people start with a 2b for example--even Gavin does--and some of the expensive drawing kits do--but the course takes in mind that this should not be an expensive endeaver and the number 2 was reccommended because it is readily accessible to those who can ill afford the fancy instruments--dont pay for drawing pencils when you can still them from your child. :D Regarding stumps--well. you have to blend with something--toilet paper, cheese clothe, a john deere tractor, a stump, a tree stump etc...again, think within your comfort zone but make sure they are your tools and not your crutch.

Now look what you did, Jeff--you made me go all wordy :D

Cathie Jones
10-15-2004, 01:50 PM
so the drawing that we have to post on 18th.. should it be like a sketch / a perfectly finished piece ... or ???
paapu

This was my question, too. I spent about 30 minutes free-handing a little boat that I've been having trouble with - and then saw a thread with a couple of 30-hour beauties in it. Do you want lots of time spent doing the best we can do on the pre-drawing, or something sketchy???

Hi Christie and Fireman's Kid - good to see more wet ones!!

JayD
10-15-2004, 01:54 PM
It needs to be a picture that gives you problems. My problem pics for example are shelties. I would not overwork the project and try for something entirely finished because this is also your FINAL project--through out the course you are going to be coming back to this project and redoing it as it pertains whatever particular subject the class happens to be covering. The idea will be to get you to experience different approaches.

Note from the Editor: This thread continues with the recent posts. The older posts can be found in this closed thread:
http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=555712

addison
04-26-2014, 10:18 AM
Hi, I'm new to WC but I wanted to join the class. Here is my pre class assignment-I'm on an iphone so I will post the next assignments after 24 hrs. Thank you!

arnoud3272
04-26-2014, 06:37 PM
addison -
Nice to meet you :).
Welcome to the classroom, please move on to class 1 :thumbsup:.

artefice71
05-13-2014, 05:49 AM
Hi Arnoud,
these are some sketches and drawings i've done through the years.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2014/1762950-IMG_2902.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2014/1762950-IMG_2920.JPG
I want to resume my drawing and improve.

arnoud3272
05-13-2014, 05:24 PM
Welcome to the classroom, Paolo :).
You are already on a good starting level, please move on to any class you like :thumbsup:.

SChampion
05-24-2014, 09:01 PM
One... :clear:

SChampion
05-24-2014, 09:02 PM
Two... :crossfingers:

SChampion
05-24-2014, 09:03 PM
Three. :)

Hey, all, I'm Suzanne. Just found these forums like...last week?

So, a little about me: I've been art-oriented all my life but haven't made art a priority very often. I've decided to include it intentionally after all these years...

I'm an editor, and I'm studying computer programming, and some dance... Other creative endeavors include knitting and (to my surprise) sometimes even cooking. We enjoy very flavorful things around here!

As far as art, I drew (mostly plain old pencil) when I was young, took a drawing class or so, not that much formal training. Later, I got into abstract painting (acrylic); I am really drawn to abstract art. It's my favorite thing at galleries. I know that position is not so common. But life took its turns and I set that aside for a while. Recently I decided to get back into it, but I also just discovered colored pencils--intended just as a sort of sketching tool, but they've intrigued me. I feel that to handle them well, even though realism and its usual subject matter isn't really my thing, I should go back to basics and beef up my drawing skills anyway. So here I am...

There's more to my own "art history," but I've already written a book here, so--without further ado, here's my pre-class assignment, which I did yesterday. Drawing a dark tortie cat with a dull, ordinary pencil on cheap paper is hard! That's a lesson in itself...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2014/1835126-tortie1jpg.jpg

Thanks for your time in looking this over, Arnoud. :)

(PS, yes, the cat has a white paw and chin.)

arnoud3272
05-25-2014, 05:37 AM
Welcome to the classroom, Suzanne :).
You're off to a good start.
Drawing ... with a dull, ordinary pencil on cheap paper is hard! Nowadays even ordinary pencils have an acceptable quality. But you'd better keep them sharp, a dull pencil is only good for obtaining some particular textures. The paper quality has a much stronger impact.

Please move on to class 1 :thumbsup:.

SChampion
05-25-2014, 01:04 PM
Thank you! :cool:

I will take your advice about sharpness and paper quality for sure.

sarajane554
06-11-2014, 09:47 AM
Hello, my name is Sara and I've wanted to improve my drawing for a long time. I've taken a few watercolor classes and I can see now how increasing my comfort with drawing will help my watercolors quite a bit. I'm hoping that these classes will give me the structure I need to get drawing more!

Here is my pre-class assignment; sorry the quality of the photo is not the best :-/

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2014/979979-photo_1.JPG

arnoud3272
06-11-2014, 12:33 PM
Welcome to the classroom, Sara :).

ataraxiia
06-19-2014, 05:14 PM
Hi all,
I'm C. I'm 22. After being immersed in the sciences for so long pursuing my degree, I've been neglecting my right brain and am hoping to get back into drawing. I'm self-taught and feel I may be missing some of the basics, so here I am!

arnoud3272
06-19-2014, 05:28 PM
Welcome to the classroom :).

ataraxiia
06-19-2014, 05:33 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jun-2014/1890977-Picture_36.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jun-2014/1890977-Picture14.jpg

avac
06-20-2014, 04:51 PM
Hello everybody :wave:

My name is André. I always enjoyed drawing and for a long time now I wanted to take some time to improve my (poor) skills.

Here goes the pre-class assignment drawing. The picture quality is not very good but ... :D

arnoud3272
06-20-2014, 05:08 PM
Welcome to the classroom, André :).
Nice drawing already. Please move on to class 1 :thumbsup:.

amyloulie
06-22-2014, 12:41 PM
My post number two. :crossfingers:

amyloulie
06-22-2014, 12:49 PM
Hi! I am hoping to learn so much from this site. I am now retired and just starting to explore drawing and painting for fun. I don't have previous experience except for a few classes I have taken in drawing and pastels. I know I need to develop better skills. This is my pre-class drawing.

Thanks, Nancy

arnoud3272
06-22-2014, 02:30 PM
Welcome to the classroom, Nancy :).
You're off to a good start :thumbsup:.
Please move on to class 1.

simonasarno
06-26-2014, 08:32 AM
Hi, I'm Simona from Italy:wave: , I'd love to improve my drawing skills in order to take a satisfying sketchbook to record my life, a kind of visual journal. But every time I started one I gave up because I'm always unhappy with my drawings... :crying: Maybe I'm too lazy maybe be haven't find the right method yet... Anyway I love to paint and make mixed media art, but I'd love to have a "draw what you see" ability! Hi'm very exited about this class! :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2014/1891200-image.jpg

simonasarno
06-26-2014, 08:33 AM
I'm having some difficulties to upload my assignment...

simonasarno
06-26-2014, 08:37 AM
Done! :clap:

arnoud3272
06-26-2014, 09:35 AM
Welcome to the classroom, Simona :).

Pirou
07-01-2014, 07:09 PM
Hello, I'm Kiran. I have drawn and painted sporadically throughout my life, but never for sustained periods of time (long enough to improve much). It frustrates me to struggle so much every time I want to draw something, particularly when my end objective is to make a painting, so I would like to develop some actual drawing skills so it's not such an obstacle to me. I do have some formal background (one semester of architectural drawing) but I have forgotten most of it and want to relearn. I recently purchased Rudy de Reyna's book and coincidentally found this online series of classes which also follows that book. Hopefully between the two I can get over the hump. Here is a recent drawing.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jul-2014/958193-Frieda_Small.JPG

P.S. Prior to now, I've hung out mostly in the Watercolor forum.

arnoud3272
07-02-2014, 02:35 AM
Kiran - Welcome to the classroom :).
Thank you for posting your pre-class drawing.

sorminato
07-02-2014, 11:40 AM
Hi, can i join this classroom?

arnoud3272
07-02-2014, 01:00 PM
Hi, can i join this classroom? Sure :thumbsup:.
Please read the "Start Here!" thread.
:wave:

impressionistwoman
07-20-2014, 06:28 PM
hello. here is a sample of my drawing/painting ability. i like to use charcoal, pastels, watercolour, coloured pencils. i have done a few pencil drawing classes. that's al. i want to draw people, portraits, animals, everything. i like impressionism but i want to have a sound education in drawing. thank you for your wet canvas contributions.
i chose my latest pieces. i am prolific and diverse, but a woeful beginner none the less. it's embarrassing. so, help!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2014/1890397-IMG_5777.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2014/1890397-IMG_5771.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2014/1890397-IMG_5762.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2014/1890397-IMG_5723.jpg

arnoud3272
07-21-2014, 03:13 AM
Hi Michele, welcome to the classroom :).
Thank you for joining in.

impressionistwoman
07-25-2014, 06:52 PM
Hi Michele, welcome to the classroom :).
Thank you for joining in.
hi arnoud. i did one of my chairs for you with both my dominant and non-dominant hands.
i had brain surgery a couple of years ago so i have a major weakness on my left side…
i also did a new sketch of my dog when she was younger. i don't know how to draw fur.
i haven't done an animal before so this is as far as i can get for my major picture. thanks for caring. shell. :) http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jul-2014/1890397-IMG_5822.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jul-2014/1890397-IMG_5821.jpg

impressionistwoman
07-25-2014, 06:55 PM
oh. i see i didn't sketch the dark line going down her head. grrr. next time ...

Sarosna
07-27-2014, 05:21 AM
Hello, I'm Minna :wave: I just turned 29 and I've been drawing actively for around 1,5 years now. I've been drawing since I was a kid but never did it on a disciplined or educated basis. I've been studying a lot of things during these 1,5 years but I've only started to realize that if I want to learn how to draw better, I need to learn how to draw realistically and I need to start from scratch in order to unlearn all those nasty habits I've picked up as a kid/teen. I also need to loosen up since I tend to be rather uptight when drawing and get easily distressed if things aren't going the way I want them to.

I chose a landscape drawing as my introduction picture. I've never really drawn them. I always just draw cartoony animals that mostly just float on air without shadows or backgrounds so this was a new thing for me. I want to draw sort of illustration style but I need to develop a more mature style.

I seem to have trouble with square forms. The old hay storage is far more crooked than it should be. I also chose to ink the image since ink+watercolor is something I'm aiming for. The image took me around 1,5 hours.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jul-2014/1364585-normal_20090630_MG_4031JV.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jul-2014/1364585-introsketch.jpg

arnoud3272
07-27-2014, 04:48 PM
Welcome to the classroom, Minna :).
Nice job. Please move on to class 1 :thumbsup:.

1akshat1
07-30-2014, 03:39 PM
Hey I'm akshat and I'm 19. I want to put my mind on paper and be able to sketch whatever I want. :)

1akshat1
07-30-2014, 03:41 PM
I'm unable to post image until I have two posts or more so I have to post this.

1akshat1
07-30-2014, 03:41 PM
And here is my pre class assignment. :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2014/1893182-IMG_20140521_043252.jpeg

arnoud3272
07-30-2014, 04:06 PM
Welcome to the classroom, akshat :).
Nice drawing. Could you post larger images in the future? In this small size details are difficult to comment upon.

klung
08-05-2014, 02:23 AM
Hello, I'm Mike. Started drawing again after a 17 year break. 32 now and imagined myself an artist ;)

arnoud3272
08-05-2014, 02:42 AM
Welcome to the classroom, Mike :).
Thank you for joining in. Please move on to class 1 :thumbsup:.

meadowsweetmom
08-18-2014, 08:10 AM
I am posting this message so I can put up my pre-class assignment. I am working on improving my pencil and charcoal drawing skills, particularly in rendering trees and plants realistically. I want to be able to draw trees that look like you could reach out and touch them. And then also work more on skies and water. So much fun I forget to do the dishes!
Barb

arnoud3272
08-18-2014, 08:16 AM
Welcome to the classroom, Barb :).

meadowsweetmom
08-18-2014, 10:59 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Aug-2014/1912930-SmallIMG_4476.jpg Here is my pre-class drawing of a maple tree trunk. Barb

arnoud3272
08-18-2014, 03:41 PM
Good job, Barb :clap:.

DC56
08-18-2014, 06:22 PM
Hello, I am hoping to get started in the class, but not sure where to start? I've scrolled through a lot of the classroom information but some of it is from several years ago, yet I would like to get started please, direct me what, where, how, and if I am able to be a part of it?

Thank you I look forward to hearing your response, DanaC

pooja
09-06-2014, 02:09 PM
Hi everyone! :wave:

So excited to be part of this class :-) I've been painting for a while now but feel my paintings are too stiff or lack depth. Want to get back to the basics and learn to make my sketches more dynamic.

Here's my pre-class assignment:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Sep-2014/140958-drawing-101-preclass.jpg

Would love to get some feedback on it. I know the shading is a little off - the light changed before I could finish it :-/

More sketches and paintings here:
http://www.poojasrinivas.com/sketches

arnoud3272
09-06-2014, 05:16 PM
Welcome to the classroom, Pooja :).

I don't normally discuss the pre-class drawing, it is meant as a kind of bench mark, to judge your improvement yourself. But as you ask explicitly...

Shading ? Based on the cast shadow, the objects seem to be back lit. So what we see is only the very diffused reflected light, not the best way to study form :(.

I assume the ridges on the spray bottle run parallel IRL. In your sketch top and bottom are parallel, in between it is more like a ziggurat.

Thank you for joining, please move on to class 1 :thumbsup:.

pooja
09-07-2014, 01:27 PM
Shading ? Based on the cast shadow, the objects seem to be back lit. So what we see is only the very diffused reflected light, not the best way to study form :(.

I assume the ridges on the spray bottle run parallel IRL. In your sketch top and bottom are parallel, in between it is more like a ziggurat.

Ahhhhh! Thank you. I figured something was off but didn't figure out what. I will pay more attention to the light source before I start sketching. I think I had two light sources here - one from the window at the back and one inside and the backlight was stronger :(

alexk3954
09-21-2014, 12:41 PM
Sorry to spam, but I cannot upload the image for my assignment until I have 2 posts!

alexk3954
09-21-2014, 12:42 PM
So sorry for the second garbage post :(

alexk3954
09-21-2014, 12:42 PM
Hello everyone! I'll start off with a little bit about me. I am 25, graduated from undergrad with a degree in biochemistry and am currently pursuing a doctorate degree in the medical sciences. Needless to say, I have used one part of my brain a lot more than the other and I want to change that. I have never done any sort of art and have never considered myself to be very creative. I want to tap into whatever creativity I may have and learn how to draw. I spend a lot of time outdoors and am interested in drawing what I see around me (landscapes, plants etc...)

Here is my attempt at an orchid on my desk.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2014/1962359-DSCN3482.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2014/1962359-DSCN3485.JPG

arnoud3272
09-21-2014, 04:50 PM
Welcome to the classroom, Alex :).
You're off to a good start, please move on to class 1 :thumbsup:.

gor
09-24-2014, 09:31 PM
Hello, I am 18 and just want to be able to draw whatever comes to mind, what I see or feel in a sketchbook. I picked up Vilpuu's Drawing Manual and tried some gesture drawing and really like it. Maybe I'll end up drawing people.

Here's an apple-thing I made.

gor
09-24-2014, 09:35 PM
I guess I have to use up this comment, so... I really like quick,strong, sketchy drwaing, just playing with the lines, that's what I did before I started to pick up drawing. So gesture drawing seemed natural to me,(even though I suck at it).

Sorry, I thought I had to post twice before posting a picture. Didn't know the picture worked.

arnoud3272
09-25-2014, 05:37 PM
gor - Welcome to the classroom :). Nice drawing, you're off to a good start :clap:
Please move on to class 1 :thumbsup:

... I thought I had to post twice before posting a picture. Didn't know the picture worked. For some bizarre reason, that limitation is only for images in the text, it does not apply for attachments :confused:.

inkgraphitepaint
10-20-2014, 02:00 AM
Hi everyone!

I'm Juliekris and I'm a new member here on WetCanvas. I love the photorealism style, portraiture, urban/landscape sketching, and watercolor painting. I want to improve my drawing skills so my painting skills will also improve. I posted a couple pictures to show my range as an artist. I even started a blog (link is in my signature) to record my progress!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Oct-2014/1963426-20141016_205957.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Oct-2014/1963426-20141006_000733.jpg

SHatfield
10-20-2014, 08:16 AM
Good morning all. Steve here. Have some experience. Not a lot. Primarily focused on pencil drawing right now. May move into color later. Here's my latest done from a youtube video tutorial.

arnoud3272
10-20-2014, 08:23 AM
Welcome to the classroom, Juliekris and Steve :).
Glad you joined in, please move on to class 1 :thumbsup:.

tonybbc
10-22-2014, 08:12 AM
Recently found this thread and about to start the course. Thank you to everyone who set this idea up.
I am 61 years old without any art training. Now that I am in the latter years of my life I now hope that art will keep me going through retirement. When I get there.
Where I live there are no art clubs so I have to go it alone.
I have seen how much everyone here helps out those who are complete beginners.

tonybbc
10-22-2014, 11:21 AM
Here is my pre assessment drawing taken from a library book.
I would like to be able to work in oil paints and watercolours. Although learning to draw is a must.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Oct-2014/93964-Image.jpg

arnoud3272
10-22-2014, 03:01 PM
Welcome to the classroom, Tony :).

mbrna
10-24-2014, 11:45 AM
Hello
My name is Michael. I found this site while scouring the web for drawing ideas and tutorials. I have no formal training in Art or drawing, but would like to learn to draw. I am en engineer by trade, so I tend to have a hard time drawing what I see because my brain jumps right to the part where it puts everything together for me.

Looking forward to the course and lessons.

michael.

mbrna
10-24-2014, 11:52 AM
Here is my pre-class drawing that I made a few weeks ago from a photo of my wife while following a tutorial on some web site. (It sorta looks like her, not really!).

michael

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Oct-2014/1963649-IMG_4656.jpg

arnoud3272
10-24-2014, 12:45 PM
Welcome to the classroom, Michael :).
Well done for a first :clap:.

Please... this classroom is a little organized, each class has its own thread. Assignments for a class belong in its thread, not chaotically in some other thread. I moved your class 1 post to the correct thread.

Please move on :thumbsup:.

yaffle
10-30-2014, 05:45 PM
I'm currently a student studying in Bristol (nothing arty!) and was inspired last week on holiday when I visited the Louvre and Musee D'Orsay to try and embrace my artistic side more than I have been doing... Having had no artistic teaching or practise for almost 10 years (since secondary school) I'm very much a rank novice! But I'm enjoying the learning process and I think I'm improving slowly :)

Oli

Here are a couple of pre-class examples:

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i125/mr_mouse_photos/IMG_0588_zps9b27873c.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i125/mr_mouse_photos/IMG_0594_zpsbaaea650.jpg

arnoud3272
10-30-2014, 07:00 PM
Welcome to the classroom, Oli :).

@nt305
11-02-2014, 11:47 PM
hey my name is Anthony. im just now starting to learn how to draw and paint. im just trying to learn more.

@nt305
11-02-2014, 11:57 PM
trying to draw Nas. honestly dont really look like him.lol

arnoud3272
11-03-2014, 08:16 AM
Welcome to the classroom, Anthony :).

WardieinJerusalem
11-03-2014, 09:04 AM
Hello from the mad Middle East,
Some amazing stuff to draw and paint here but I'm only just beginning - and only have another six months before we move on. Aim is to be able to render olive trees and the landscape here, as well as learning how to draw people with the eventual aim of learning to paint. Have had limited drawing experience but will try anything..

WardieinJerusalem
11-03-2014, 09:11 AM
We had the first proper rain of the year on Friday so we were stuck in all day. Took a few hours and copied this photo of an olive tree at an archaeological site in northern Cyprus as my pre-class assignment. Struggled with how to represent the leaves, and wasn't sure how to treat the background/foreground. Shading/tone = permanent mystery to me..
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Nov-2014/1963811-Vouni_600x800_pix.jpg

arnoud3272
11-03-2014, 01:45 PM
Welcome to the classroom, Wardie :).
"Tone" in this context is treated in class 8, it is based on only a few principles, take heart :wink2:.
But first start in class 1 for a good foundation :thumbsup:.

Tut
11-13-2014, 12:00 AM
Hello, I'm a 45 year old mother of two, who is deciding what career to create now the kids are older. I enjoyed drawing at school, so giving it another start!

Many thanks, Justine

arnoud3272
11-13-2014, 03:10 AM
Welcome to the classroom, Justine :).

civilisedworld
11-14-2014, 04:22 AM
:clap: Hello! I have just recently decided that I would like to draw portraits, as I feel they capture so much of a person, especially the eyes. But I do know that I need to start from the basics, so this is my most recent drawing.

arnoud3272
11-14-2014, 04:57 AM
Welcome to the classroom, Wei Jin :).
Smart idea to start with the foundations.

tangleweeds
11-18-2014, 07:36 PM
I am in my mid-fifties, and haven't attempted realistic drawing in 30 years. Hopefully after this post I will be allowed to upload my images.

ETA: here is a link to my intro thread to the forums. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20282378#post20282378)

tangleweeds
11-18-2014, 07:37 PM
The skewed picture of the glass (um, jar) half-full was chosen to have subjects intimidate me, which are transparent and reflective surfaces,

The corner of our mantelpiece isn't well framed, but it's something I was better equipped to draw, I think. (Alas, I can't figure out why the image is rotated here, but is upright on in both my devices :( )

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Nov-2014/1964412-glass.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Nov-2014/1964412-mantel.JPG

arnoud3272
11-19-2014, 09:36 AM
Welcome to the classroom, Noel :).
Modern cameras and image software put additional information about the photo in so-called metadata. For instance about the correct viewing format. For older software you need to "physically" transform the image as I did here. Most photo editing software is able to do that for you (at least under Windows).
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Nov-2014/142886-1964412-mantel.JPG

Pong
11-23-2014, 02:31 PM
Hi. First post on WC. I love watercolors and have recently taken a beginner's class. I found it took me more time to draw my image than to paint, not always with very good results - sometimes because of the painting process, but often because the underlying drawing was not correct. I did the best painting tracing images, or using a grid.
I have never studied drawing or done drawing except for the watercolor class. I would like to be able to draw what I see in real life, or in photos. My favorite subjects are landscapes (with and without buildings), still life, flowers and birds. I would also like to be able to sketch rather quickly so that I can record nature in a watercolor journal.
I'll post my drawing after one more post as I'm not allowed now.
Thank you.

Pong

Pong
11-23-2014, 02:32 PM
Post #2.

Pong

Pong
11-23-2014, 02:37 PM
Hello again. Here is my drawing, from a photo I took in Venice. The photo has lots more detail, but I thought this sketch would give you (and me) enough information about where I'm at with drawing. I wanted to upload the photo too, but when I resized it to meet criteria, it was not much bigger than a postage stamp! If you want to see it, I'll post it. Thanks.

Pong

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2014/78813-Venice_pre-class_sketch.JPG

arnoud3272
11-23-2014, 04:27 PM
Welcome to the classroom, Pong :).
Thank you for uploading your pre-class drawing.
Don't misunderstand the uploading criteria :wink2:. Don't change the "resolution" (xx pixel per inch), only the width and height if larger than 800 pixels. The resolution is ignored by the PC screen, it is only relevant for printing.

spoll
12-07-2014, 09:05 AM
Hello, i am Stoian and i am trying to draw :angel:

spoll
12-07-2014, 09:06 AM
:thumbsup:

spoll
12-07-2014, 09:07 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Dec-2014/1965070-wci11.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Dec-2014/1965070-wci22.jpg

arnoud3272
12-07-2014, 12:53 PM
Welcome to the classroom, Stoian :).
You're off to a good start :clap:.

Godoggo
12-29-2014, 01:44 PM
Hi. I'm Amy and I started drawing about a year ago. I started off in comics and realized I was going to have to draw at some point along the way no matter how cute stick figure comics are. I really have no idea what kind of drawing style I want to have but this is where I am at now:

http://i60.tinypic.com/ffbnfo.jpg

arnoud3272
12-29-2014, 03:58 PM
Welcome to the classroom, Amy :).
You have already attained a rather high level. No need to follow the foundation classes first, you may take any class of your liking, in any order :thumbsup:.

There is an error in perspective in your drawing. The middle of an interval in perspective is not symmetrical. Think of an extra pillar and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Dec-2014/142886-amy.jpg

Keep up the good work :thumbsup:.

idahogirl
01-05-2015, 03:53 PM
This is the year I want to improve my drawing. I mostly do landscapes so deal with masses. I would like to draw in greater detail and more realistically. Here is an example of pretty much where I am

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2015/626-Wetcanvas0001.jpg

Looking forward to improving

Dee

arnoud3272
01-05-2015, 05:01 PM
Welcome to the classroom, Dee :).
You've come to the right place :thumbsup:.
Please move on to class 1 :music:.

naglel
01-20-2015, 02:16 PM
Ive had some practice at drawing, took some classes waaaay back in high school...Im looking to improve of course, I sometimes struggle with angles like getting the right tilt to a portrait and proportions. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2015/1034772-img0791.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2015/1034772-img0801.jpg

arnoud3272
01-20-2015, 04:36 PM
Welcome to the classroom, Raini :).
You have already attained a rather high level. No need to follow the foundation classes first, you may take any class of your liking, in any order :thumbsup:.

A useful exercise for improving the sense of proportion - perhaps a bit boring, as all calisthenics - is to copy rectangles as exactly as possible.

naglel
01-20-2015, 05:37 PM
Thanks Arnoud, looking forward to the classes and thinking a few rectangles won't hurt too much😜

squatchfoot
01-22-2015, 01:30 PM
Post 1

squatchfoot
01-22-2015, 01:31 PM
Post 2

squatchfoot
01-22-2015, 01:33 PM
Hi, this is my first post on WetCanvas and this carving axe is the first thing I've drawn in years. I'm very much a beginner and I'm interested in lifelike drawing.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jan-2015/1966879-WC_Basic_101_Pre-Class_Assignment.jpg

Thanks,
Matt

arnoud3272
01-22-2015, 05:28 PM
Welcome to the classroom, Matt :).

artist_ali
02-05-2015, 11:09 AM
hi there.I m Ali and I m new to this forum.
Thanks to arnoud3272 for creating this wonderful classes.
I m really interested and will follow complete course from 1.
Here is my pre-class assignment .
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2015/1967327-scar_22.jpg

arnoud3272
02-05-2015, 11:28 AM
Welcome to the classroom, Ali :).
Very nice drawing :clap:.
Two observations:
-- I'm only the guide in this classroom, the classes were created many years ago by JayD (who commented in your thread lonely old) and collaborators.

-- take care to point your camera square to the picture.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2015/142886-camera-square.jpg

Correct shapes are important in the starting classes, and camera distortion would make it impossible to judge.

artist_ali
02-05-2015, 11:39 AM
Welcome to the classroom, Ali :).
Very nice drawing :clap:.
Two observations:
-- I'm only the guide in this classroom, the classes were created many years ago by JayD (who commented in your thread lonely old) and collaborators.

-- take care to point your camera square to the picture.
Correct shapes are important in the starting classes, and camera distortion would make it impossible to judge.

sorry for camera issue. I will surely remember your advice.
and thanks JayD for creating this classes.
Now onto class 1 :)

Dutchpen
02-11-2015, 04:05 AM
Itroduction;
Im Mike [Dutchpen ] Age 71...over stepping from Pen and Ink
Been under the Guidance of Charlie,s Mum Maureen......Hope Im in the right place to learn to Draw.....my interests...like to learn Landscape Drawing...
Wooden Buildings .....Wooden Bridges.....Trees and Flowers... but cant draw

Would like to post my sketch Free hand from Frank Lohan,s Book Drawing Handbookhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2015/1772578-IMG_0001.JPG

arnoud3272
02-11-2015, 01:54 PM
Welkom in onze tekenlessen, Mike :).
Thank you for posting your preclass drawing.
There are several classes on landscape in this classroom.

I saw you're wary about perspective... don't, the basics that are taught here are simple (to understand :) -- difficult to apply :evil:)
Please move on to class 1, getting acquainted with the different handling methods for pencils :thumbsup:.

Dutchpen
02-11-2015, 03:39 PM
Thanks Arnoud
Will go to the 1st class tomorrow.........:thumbsup:

CaroleAW
02-26-2015, 09:14 AM
Hi,

I've been trying to learn to draw for over a year now, but I feel like I'm floundering and would like to follow this course to bring a bit of structure to the whole process. Ultimately, I think I would like to work with pen and ink and watercolour, probably in a more sketchy rather than a photorealistic way (as well as get involved in the Southampton Urban Sketchers Group), but I think pencil is probably the place to begin and that this course would fit in quite well with that.

I did this pencil drawing a little while ago for an online class, and I think it is fairly representative of my current level.

Many thanks,

Carole

PS: As you can see, I uploaded my drawing as an attachment because I couldn't get the Insert Image option to work. I believe I met all the requirements for this (less than 800 x 800 pixels, under 100 KB, and 72 dpi), but when I click on "Insert Image" it asks me "Choose File", but then when I try to, all my files including the one I want to select are greyed out and unable to be selected. Are you able to shed any light on this? Many thanks.

arnoud3272
02-26-2015, 05:45 PM
Carole - Welcome to the classroom :)
Thank you for showing your pre-class drawing.

Re uploading: in some OS/Browser combinations the file type in the Browse dialog is ".GIF" by default. Change it to "All Files".

Keep up the good work :thumbsup:.

CaroleAW
02-27-2015, 06:46 AM
Thanks, Arrnoud. I'm making a start on the first exercises now.

Best wishes,

Carole

DivotDiva
03-08-2015, 01:25 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Mar-2015/1892689-the_computer_dwg.jpg Hi, I started drawing in junior high and all through high school. I did not major in art in college but I took the required classes. I have not been actively drawing for 30 years. I would like to start again along with oil painting which I used to love.

I need to review a lot of techniques and to practice. The attachment is a quick drawing I did at my work desk (day job) yesterday and is indicative of my style when just drawing objects I see. This unfortunately is just a box (the computer) so nothing terribly interesting or detailed. I always wanted to learn more about figure drawing and animals, but I chose a different career so I did not pursue art. I know some of the basics but I have never excelled at these subjects. I would also like to improve my drawing (and painting) of realistic objects and landscapes.

On the example drawing, I did not add any background or other items of interest, just to put out a quick sketch. Usually my weakness is to draw items smaller than real life.

I was very happy to find this thread (still going!) and I am looking forward to learning! Thanks!

arnoud3272
03-08-2015, 05:04 AM
Welcome to the classroom, DivotDiva :).

Ladydolphin
03-09-2015, 03:38 PM
When I was as school I enjoyed drawing and wish I had kept it going, when my Husband became a member of your site and I saw how good he was getting I decided to start drawing again and become a member myself so my drawings can get better and better.

Anna

Ladydolphin
03-09-2015, 03:44 PM
Here are some of the pictures that I have done.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Mar-2015/1968955-001.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Mar-2015/1968955-002.jpg

arnoud3272
03-09-2015, 05:35 PM
Anna - Welcome to WetCanvas and to the classroom :).
Nice pre-class work :clap:.

sapf
03-24-2015, 03:22 AM
Hi here is my pre class assignment. I am just a beginner.

arnoud3272
03-24-2015, 03:39 AM
Hi here is my pre class assignment. I am just a beginner.Hi, welcome to WetCanvas :).
Please post your drawings as JPG, not as pdf.

sapf
03-24-2015, 06:52 AM
ok here is my pre class in jpg

arnoud3272
03-24-2015, 08:54 AM
sapf - Thank you for posting :).

ShellyK01
03-27-2015, 12:34 AM
Hi, here is a drawing from a photo that I did of a chipmunk. I have challenges with getting proportions right, and with shading. I spent about 35 minutes on this drawing. Thanks.

ShellyK01
03-27-2015, 12:42 AM
Hi, here is a drawing I did from real life of a bunch of bananas. I spent about 30 minutes on this drawing. For me the challenge is getting the underlying shapes right, then working on appropriate shading. Thanks

arnoud3272
03-27-2015, 09:20 AM
Welcome to the classroom, Shelly :).
The book which was the start of these classes "How to draw what you see" has a different method, but follows the same principles as the "Right side of the brain :lol:" book.

oakenshadows
03-28-2015, 12:51 AM
Post 1

oakenshadows
03-28-2015, 12:52 AM
Post 2

oakenshadows
03-28-2015, 12:53 AM
Hi,

Here is a recent drawing of mine.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Mar-2015/1969633-Clocks_03-27-15.jpg
Thanks,
Matt

arnoud3272
03-28-2015, 04:55 AM
Welcome to the classroom, Matt :).
Please move on :thumbsup:.

sejorules
03-30-2015, 09:02 AM
Hi I'm Sejo, and I have been drawing as a hobby from time to time. I have some basic notions of perspective, but I really want to learn the proper way. I'm mostly interested in realistic drawing. Anyway, here is my drawing:

arnoud3272
03-30-2015, 05:09 PM
Welcome to the classroom, Sejo :).
Nice drawing, please move on to class 1 :thumbsup:

that-art-guy
04-12-2015, 05:35 AM
This is my pre assignment drawing. It's actually just a random page from my sketchbook as I had spent a few hours completing the first 101 basic class before I found this page (rushing into things too quickly!)

This is was just a few quick studies of my dog sleeping for a larger painting I'm working on.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Apr-2015/1970229-pre-assignment.jpg

arnoud3272
04-12-2015, 05:31 PM
Welcome to the classroom, Lee :).
Now you may safely continue in class 1 :wink2:.

Mimi007
04-16-2015, 01:47 PM
opps! I put my pre-class assignment in the wrong place. I'll post it again here. Hope that is ok. Thanks again for your patience.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2015/1970295-IMG_2543.JPG

I'm getting better at navigating the site. Everything works better on my computer. No more iPad for this site!

arnoud3272
04-16-2015, 02:59 PM
Thank you for posting your pre-class assignment :).
I didn't see you do it on the other pictures, but just in case: make sure you point your camera/cell phone straight to the paper. Otherwise you get a distortion that makes it impossible to give meaningful comments.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2015/142886-camera-square.jpg

Mimi007
04-16-2015, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the tip. I did not know.

Kathy

ivonnewierink
04-26-2015, 09:54 AM
Hi all, I am Ivonne from the Netherlands. I really want to do the course, so I made today my first drawing for the pre-class. My difficults are perspective, and many more ;) This is the little barn in my garden.
Hope I can go to the next classroom ;)

arnoud3272
04-26-2015, 01:22 PM
Welcome to the classroom, Ivonne :).
Nice sketch :thumbsup:. Please move on to class 1 :music:.

sharp21
04-28-2015, 11:23 AM
Ahoy!

As mentioned in the New Here section, I am a sea captain with an interest in improving my drawing skills. I've been more of a cartoonist/doodler all my life and am now interested in drawing things as I see them.

I do a lot of traveling for work and I recently discovered the Urban Sketching movement, which speaks to me.

Going through these classes should be a great way to get some feedback and I am looking forward to it.

This is my second post so I'll resize and post some pictures next!

sharp21
04-28-2015, 12:31 PM
Here is one I did a while back:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2015/1970765-UpsideDownDog.jpg

sharp21
04-28-2015, 12:38 PM
One more - Gamora from the movie Guardians of the Galaxy. This was the profile exercise from Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2015/1970765-Gamora.jpg

arnoud3272
04-28-2015, 12:58 PM
Welcome to the classroom, sharp :).
Good job already :clap:.

Mike L
05-23-2015, 10:04 AM
I'm Mike (just so there's no confusion between my screen name and my real name :lol: ). I have a creative bent, but I'm always in too big a hurry to do it right, so I'm going to work through these drawing classes in order to improve (not hard to do) my painting. Despite drawing, off and on, for many years, I am still a beginner because it has been mostly off. Now that I am retired I want to make or take the time necessary to become an artist.

The drawing I've posted was completed in mid April of this year in a Canson Universal Sketch notebook, 5.5" x 8.5" (13,9 x 21,6 cm) that I've begun using. I have a small set of different hardness pencils, a this one was done with a 2H and a 4B. there are a couple notes scribbled on the page. the subject is my Akorn Kamado style grill.

arnoud3272
05-23-2015, 01:10 PM
Welcome to the classroom, Mike :).

alabaster
05-24-2015, 06:47 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm Amanda. I'm 34 and wanting to pick up drawing again after over a decade of not doing much of anything artistic. I'm an avid journal keeper and I'd like to eventually feel comfortable illustrating my journal with sketches. I'm inspired by the work of Danny Gregory, Roz Stendahl, Dan Price, France Belleville-Van Stone, Tommy Kane, and Clare Walker Leslie among others.

Here's my pre-class drawing (as an attachment - I couldn't get the image to insert into the body of this post for some reason). I used this photo (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=66249) of earthenware jars from the reference library as my reference.

Can't wait to dive into class! :wave:

arnoud3272
05-25-2015, 02:57 AM
Amanda - Very well done :clap:.
Welcome to the classroom. Please move on to class 1 :thumbsup:.

Norma46
06-01-2015, 12:39 PM
Hi: I am Norma. I just started delving into art about 1.5 years ago after I retired at the age of 66. I have taken an adult ed course in introduction to drawing, an intro course in oil painting and I have been following the pastel forum in WC. I would like to systematically complete the 101 AND 102 drawing classes as I feel that drawing skills are fundamental to whatever color medium one wishes to use. I am not sure what the pre-class assignment is since this forum is about 30 pages in length, but am attaching a drawing I did in my adult ed drawing class.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2015/1893196-bountiful_harvest_residzed.jpg

arnoud3272
06-01-2015, 04:45 PM
Welcome to the classroom, Norma :).
Good job already. Please move on to class 1 :thumbsup:

porkchop85
06-26-2015, 03:57 PM
My first post on WetCanvas! :wave:

porkchop85
06-26-2015, 04:16 PM
Second post. About me:
I'm a teenager who wants to get back into drawing. I find drawing to take my mind away, whether it's me, someone else, or a cool sword I found in some far-off virtual world. Art is one of those medicinal experiences with me, and it helps me think and see differently. In my next post, the Wet Canvas community can behold my humble works (and I say that just for effect). I look forward to furthering my artistic expertise with the next generation of Van Goghs and Da Vincis!

porkchop85
06-26-2015, 04:21 PM
Here's my artwork, feel free to critique:

http://36.media.tumblr.com/b735c330ffa06679ba49bfd2c2af5970/tumblr_nqkjv2yuEt1sy66gio1_1280.jpg

arnoud3272
06-26-2015, 05:39 PM
Welcome to WetCanvas and to the classroom :).

You're new to this site and some operations are not very intuitive, but please try to understand how to upload your pictures here. See this thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510543)for guidance.

cathy~o
07-04-2015, 11:16 AM
Hi, my name is Cathy and I've been a member for a long time, although not active for several years. (Life kind of fell apart in 2010) Posted work in several areas and at one time did some assignments on drawing threads, a headlight, red shoes and chair come to mind :) I'm a very artistic type of gal (aka 58 yr old woman lol) I paint, do art quilts, assemblage, mixed media, collages, started working with clay on sculptures, photography, etc etc etc. Maybe that's the problem...too many irons in the fire!
Anyhow, now that I am older and not as healthy and without a car, I find myself stuck at home more (plus I am sole caretaker of two adult sons with disabilities, Asperger's and Down Syndrome). So I decided that NOW is the time to do what I have always wanted to do and learn to draw for real, not just occasionally. I found it relaxed me, it isn't as expensive an art form as quilting, it doesn't require a lot of storage space and it can be done in a small space. In short it's perfect for me.
So now that you know more than you wanted to know about me I guess I'll share a couple of examples of my work. Hopefully I remember how to do that! Oh and BTW, I actually have the book you are using, bought to teach myself with a few months ago.

They are..."the chair", Cosmo, a portrait of a dog we once had, sorry about the colored pencil, and some guy, my very first attempt at a portrait several years ago, can you tell? :)

Oh look, I didn't realize some of my work show up in the signature line....

So that's it from me, off I go to Class 1!

arnoud3272
07-05-2015, 05:25 AM
Welcome to the classroom, Cathy :).
I'm sure you'll progress fast.

waterhorse
07-12-2015, 09:06 PM
I'm Jessica, and I first took up "art" of any sort about three months ago. I was searching for a way to escape for a few hours from the stress of worrying about my horses' health, believe it or not - I have a 30 year old horse who had just had surgery. I started with coloring in coloring books, moved on to coloring stamps with Copic markers, moved on to attempting to do simple sketches from photos and coloring those with Copics, moved on to attempting to watercolor with basic pan sets, started trying to teach myself to "really" draw using the Right Side of Your Brain book, got real watercolors and began taking a watercolor class and became obsessed...

Anyway, to make a long story short, after almost five decades of a pretty much art-free life (other than lots of crafts as a child), I've discovered I absolutely *love* it. I'd like to learn to draw for its own sake, but also because it's the basis for all other forms of art - particularly right now for watercolor, which is my current focus, I really need a better general art foundation and to better understand things like contour, perspective, etc.

As I said, I started "drawing" about two months ago, have worked my way about 1/3 through the Drawing With the Right Side of Your Brain book and have sketched as much as I can, from photos and also from life, but I really have no idea what I'm doing. I find lots of things particularly difficult (I thought of choosing flowers as my pre-class project, since I find them very hard, but in the end gave up on that!). I also have absolutely no idea how to shade things, or how to differentiate between a shadow and a darker color, or how to figure out perspective for round/circular things, or...well, a whole lot of things!

I am attaching two sketches. First is probably the best and certainly most complete thing I've ever done - from a magazine cover (which I'm also including). I had a very difficult time getting a good photo and would have scanned this but the sketchbook page is too large for my scanner. Second is a very small sketch of one of my cats, from life so done relatively quickly before he could move. It is very light so I couldn't get a good quality photo or scan, but I'm including it anyway since it's from life instead of from a photo in case that makes a difference.

I hope I uploaded them correctly.

Thanks! I'm amazed at what a wonderful resource WC is!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2015/1972815-20150712_Horse_sketch.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2015/1972815-equus201209.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2015/1972815-20150706_Conan_sketch.jpg

arnoud3272
07-13-2015, 02:51 AM
Welcome to the classroom, Jessica :).
Nice drawings :clap:.

offthewallek
07-21-2015, 04:08 PM
Hi there - my name is Ruth and I want to learn how to draw. My main goal is to be better at drawing so that I can ink and then watercolor realistic art. I have attached a drawing that I finished this week.

I used this as the reference photo: http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=90115

kricketbelle
07-21-2015, 07:34 PM
Hello!

I want to get a solid foundation in drawing. I have recently gone back to it after many years. I'm hoping to build a strong foundation and I thought a course like this would be a great way to keep me motivated and moving forward.

Here is a drawing I did in the last couple of weeks...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2015/1973590-photo-2015-07-12-11-11-42-am_snapseed.jpg

arnoud3272
07-22-2015, 05:07 PM
Ruth - Nice sketch :clap:, well done.

arnoud3272
07-22-2015, 05:10 PM
Josee - Good job :clap:.
See you in class 1 :thumbsup:

cvt50000
07-24-2015, 07:35 PM
I joined wetcanvas a while back with the intention of taking this class but I lost focus. Now I've made it a priority and am looking forward to the challenges ahead. Thanks for offering something so great.

cvt50000
07-24-2015, 07:40 PM
Making another post so that I can attach images.

Katie2065
07-27-2015, 06:56 PM
hello, here goes.

i have said hello on the coloured pencil forum, and now hello here…so that is two posts!

I spent last evening learning to use the scanner from my 18 year old son. he is out right now, and I am going to try posting my pre 101 stuff without him in the next post. if not, we will have to wait for him to come home tonight for attachment lessons!

Katie

Katie2065
07-27-2015, 07:30 PM
Pre 101 pictures.

A bit about me, 51 year old woman. I work from home as a sewing machinist. I live in Christchurch, New Zealand. I have 3 kids, and a hubby. Peter and I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary last week.

I have always wished I could draw and have decided the time has come to do something about it. I have a 'drawing on the right side of the brain' workbook someone gave my kids years ago and i am working through that. I dont have the book, but it is on order at the library.

I have several pictures for you. the first 2 are pre 'right side ' workbook. The hand is 24 hours later after spsnding every avaialble moment trying to draw. The Van Gogh is 10 days later after doing lots of the workbook.

I am bursting with pride over the Van Gogh, but the trouble is..its a copy…I mean I just drew what Van Gogh had already drawn. If I tried to draw Peter holding a book it would be like the first 2 drawings!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jul-2015/1973796-hand_first_pic_copy.jpeg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jul-2015/1973796-me_first_pic.jpeg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jul-2015/1973796-Hand__copy.jpeg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jul-2015/1973796-best_van_gogh-3_copy.jpeg

It looks like I did it, according to the post privew, so fingers crossed the pictures will arrive.

Katie

arnoud3272
07-28-2015, 02:58 AM
Very well done, Katie :clap:.
Welcome to the classroom, please move on to class 1 :thumbsup:.

naoip
08-16-2015, 10:46 AM
Hi started this course years back, but had some posting issues,few years have gone by and feel deflated wasted so much time!!

Determined to stick to the course, pic a little older but want to see my improvement from that point...cheers Aj

arnoud3272
08-16-2015, 01:24 PM
Welcome again, Andy :).

Two-A
08-19-2015, 03:59 PM
Hi, my name is Adrian. I'm 18 and I'd like to learn how to draw realistically to start with; but I eventually want to learn how to draw cartoons, etc. Here's my drawing, I did my keys.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2015/1974612-img001.jpg

arnoud3272
08-20-2015, 10:15 AM
Welcome to the classroom, Adrian :).

arnica
09-01-2015, 07:37 PM
Hi, my name is Danae. I am a 32 years old watercolor and oil pastel artist. I usually draw as little as possible before I jump in with color. I've been thinking about taking these classes for a long time, because I know increasing my drawing skills will help the values and composition of my paintings. Plus I just want to enjoy drawing more! I am especially interested in learning more about drawing portraits and figures, so for my pre-class drawing I chose this great photo by lisilk from the RIL. http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=132878

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2015/77653-DSCN3883asml.jpg

arnoud3272
09-02-2015, 03:11 PM
Welcome here, Danae :).
You have already attained a very hight level, I'd advice you to turn to the more specific classes in the specialised forums The Figure and Portraiture. Their classroom threads are closed, but there is a wealth of instruction, and you can post your work in the main forum for comments. A good starting point for figure drawing would be this series (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=590516) of workshops.
One class here that could be useful is class 8. And I mean not the tree "challenge", but the intricacies of the "shadow formula".
Good luck with your further development :thumbsup:.

malworks
09-09-2015, 01:08 PM
Hey everyone! I'm Mallory. I posted a longish intro in the welcome thread but I thought I'd write a little something in this forum too. I am a design student looking to (obviously) improve my drawing a bit. I have taken a few drawing classes in college, and have tried teaching myself multiple times, but have given up every time. I am frustrated easily, and get discouraged when things don't look right!

I have just started drawing again about a week ago, and so far have been focusing just on proportions and perspective. I find my color and shading "skills" — although still very amateur — are stronger than my proportions and fitting things into perspective, so these are just very quick sketches out of my sketchbook.

Images will be posted in the following post, since I need two posts before I can link images.

malworks
09-09-2015, 01:12 PM
Ok here are my examples:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2015/1975376-Photo_Sep_09,_12_19_27_PM.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2015/1975376-Photo_Sep_09,_12_18_41_PM.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2015/1975376-Photo_Sep_09,_12_18_27_PM.jpg

These are all very quick sketches, but I have not really gotten past the sketch phase. I don't see the point in pursuing a sketch until the proportions and perspective are correct, so I have been focusing on that instead of adding value etc..

I also decided to do a quick example of my hand... And as you can see, I spent maybe 10 minutes on it before growing impatient. Proportions and perspective will be the death of me!

arnoud3272
09-09-2015, 03:01 PM
Welcome to the classroom, Mallory :).

widdly
09-14-2015, 02:38 AM
I'm keen to improve my drawing. Here is a quick sketch from a photograph. I want to get to the point where I can do a quick and relatively accurate drawing of this sort of thing from real life.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2015/1975128-IMG_20150914_134141.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2015/1975128-IMG_20150914_140246.jpg

arnoud3272
09-14-2015, 02:52 AM
Welcome to the classroom, widdly :)

julieannatx
09-14-2015, 03:48 PM
Hello,

My name is Julie Ann, and I found WC while researching self-directed learning alternatives to art school. I am still paying off the student loans from my first degree nearly twenty years ago, and now that my kids are teenagers, I'm ready to pursue more serious study and practice in what I've always loved to do, without incurring more debt. So here I am! :wave:

I have always enjoyed photography and working with paper through bookbinding and hand-cut collage work, but I am lacking in foundational art skills such as basic drawing technique and would like to work to improve that.

I will make another post with my pre-assignment next.

julieannatx
09-14-2015, 03:51 PM
Here is my pre-assignment - a selfie sketch. I struggle a lot with value and shading, and also self-confidence in my skills.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2015/1975530-selfie_sketch_for_pre-assignment.JPG

Thanks for having me!

arnoud3272
09-14-2015, 04:26 PM
Welcome to the classroom, Julie Ann :)

AgnesZ
09-14-2015, 06:39 PM
Hi, my name is Agnes and I have just recently stumbled upon WC. I haven't made art for quite some time and would like to join in to find inspiration, practice my drawing which has gotten quite rusty and learn some new skills. I've recently discovered colored pencil art and I am in awe of what can be made with a humble pencil.

So here goes; my pre-class assignment drawing.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2015/1975503-WP_20150913_16_46_18_Pro_2.jpg

arnoud3272
09-15-2015, 08:05 AM
Welcome to the classroom, Agnes :)
Good job already :thumbsup:.
Please move on to class 1

Raindrop
09-21-2015, 12:25 PM
Hi!
I'm Raindrop, and I've just gotten back into drawing after a loooooooong break. I've started a nature journal - it's the right blend of science / art / being outside for me.

I need to work on my values, as illustrated by this sketch of a tree.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2015/17300-20150921_154415_600x800.jpg

This is pretty much what I can do on an average day; my proportions are usually a bit better - this tree's a bit bottom-heavy compared to reality - but that was also my first large model, so I'm not too worried about that right now. Values on the other hand? Oh boy. I'm guilty of being too shy. It's getting better, but I have a long way to go. Hence... Basic 101! :clap:

I'd like to add colour to my drawings eventually, b ut not before I nail these values down!

arnoud3272
09-21-2015, 04:47 PM
Nice sketch, Raindrop :clap:.
Welcome to the classroom :).

MatthewAllenMiller
09-23-2015, 11:10 AM
Hi, my name is Matthew and I'm 30, looking to take art seriously once again. I drew a lot growing up and took a lot of art classes in high school and college. Over the last decade, painting (mostly acrylic, some oil) has been a hobby of mine, that comes and goes. Current goals of mine are to produce depictions of athletic/fitness activities that have style/beauty, but remain faithful to proper biomechanics and respect the aesthetics of the athletic physique. I am into fitness and art, so this is a great way to blend the two. Also, I would like to (perhaps) ultimately supplement my income by selling artwork to gyms, etc. in order to make their workout space more interesting and beautiful. I'm currently enrolled in an intro course on portrait and figure (skills I haven't used much in my past work, but which will be important for moving forward.)

I guess I need to make two posts or more before I can upload a pic, so see below for the Pre Class drawings.

MatthewAllenMiller
09-23-2015, 11:11 AM
Post two. Pics in the next one.

MatthewAllenMiller
09-23-2015, 11:11 AM
Here are a couple drawings, examples of the types of things I'd like to turn into paintings. These are my Pre-Class drawings that I just did the other day.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2015/1975770-IMAG0011_2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2015/1975770-IMAG0012_2.jpg

arnoud3272
09-23-2015, 12:59 PM
Welcome to the classroom, Mathew :). Glad to have you on board.

edjuh
10-01-2015, 07:59 AM
Goedemiddag Arnoud,

I am Ed (53) , from the famous city of Haarlem.
Started drawing/painting again about 4 weeks ago, and found my drawing skills could be improved, so why not join in. Learning and training can be fun, if you set your mind to it.

Target is to improve hand/eye coordination.
End-goal is to do Ink/Watercolours > Urban sketching, as well as recreate modern topics in Art nouveau style.

Anyways, without to much redue. My preclass. Just picked what was in front of me on the desk.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2015/1975549-DSCN1360.JPG

arnoud3272
10-01-2015, 08:26 AM
Welkom, Ed :)
Nice sketch, please move on to class 1 :thumbsup:

edjuh
10-01-2015, 09:27 AM
Jeemig,
You are fast. Well ok. It's there in 5 minutes.
Hooking on the camera, and some resizing.

Northern Star
10-05-2015, 02:27 PM
Hi my name is Gordan,

I have been following WetCanvas for quite some time and would like to start actively learning and contributing. Watercolors and drawing/sketching are currently my primary areas of interest. I am self taught and have been drawing on and off for most of my life. It is something I always enjoyed doing. I started painting about a year ago.

The following are some of my pencil sketches:

Thank you

arnoud3272
10-05-2015, 04:30 PM
Hi Gordan, welcome to the classroom :)
You're already on a good level, no need to follow the foundation classes. You may move on to any class, in any order :thumbsup:.

Achiemy
10-09-2015, 05:52 PM
Hi! I just became a member to follow these lessons! My name is Gordana, I'm 25 and live in Amsterdam (The Netherlands). Below are a couple of sketches I did this week. I'm really excited to finally learn to draw the right way!
Cheers!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Oct-2015/1976410-IMAG0870.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Oct-2015/1976410-IMAG0492.jpg

Achiemy
10-09-2015, 05:54 PM
Hmmm... I can't seem to upload any images! Edit: now I can! Sorry! :angel:

arnoud3272
10-10-2015, 05:40 AM
Welcome to the classroom, Gordana :).
Already nice work :clap:.

(BTW, you need at least 2 posts before you are allowed to download images)

KTTHEARTIST
10-17-2015, 12:22 AM
I have been watching this website and love it. But it seems not alot of posts lately!!?? Is the class over or should i get on my per class assignment to get pointers to get to start drawing class 1 ???:confused:

arnoud3272
10-17-2015, 03:51 AM
Hi
Did you miss te Start Here thread ?

KTTHEARTIST
10-17-2015, 12:29 PM
I've read all assignments and pre class but its been months since posts for the classes but i guess i'll just post ...plus i was just doing my two posts so i can posts pics :):clear::wave:

KTTHEARTIST
10-17-2015, 10:07 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2015/1976612-20151016_183503.jpg

KTTHEARTIST
10-17-2015, 10:09 PM
I have a lot of drawings but this one is troubling me so choose it to redo later after the lessons ...mexcited to learn realistic drawing

Hakea laurina
10-17-2015, 10:38 PM
From memory I used an HB Staedtler Mars Lumigraph on cartridge paper.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2015/1976584-hand_17.1.2015.jpg

arnoud3272
10-18-2015, 03:29 PM
Katy - Welcome to the classroom :).
BTW, recent posts in this subforum are from 10-11, 10-9, 10-8, ... I don't call that "months ago"

arnoud3272
10-18-2015, 03:30 PM
Laurina - Welcome to the classroom too :)
Good job, see you in class 1 :thumbsup:.

m_od
10-25-2015, 08:14 PM
Hello,

I am very interested in improving my drawing abilities. I have drawn as a kid in art class and some outside of school....tried my hand briefly as an adult a few times but always give up. Last 3 - 4 months have really tried to draw again.

I am very inconsistent. At times the drawings look ok to me and the very next drawing is worse than when I tried months ago.

I have come to rely to much on grids for shape and blending tools to lose some of the lines and give some form. I would like to be able to draw free hand and shade properly.

Would like to be able to draw most anything. I do not have one particular style I am looking at this time. Hoping to get the basics down so in future I can specialize if I want or branch out to color pencils, pen and ink etc...

Thank you,

m_od
10-25-2015, 08:18 PM
Hi again,

Second post to upload pre-class drawings.

m_od
10-25-2015, 09:00 PM
I have used books, internet, photos and other artists to draw from. Showing overused blending tool and grid (last one).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2015/1976998-Eggs.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2015/1976998-Bottles.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2015/1976998-Jack.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2015/1976998-RaceTrack.jpg

Thanks again.

arnoud3272
10-26-2015, 02:35 PM
Welcome to the classroom, m_od :).

Rennie5711
11-20-2015, 06:14 PM
Hi all,

My name is Sally, I recently started drawing as a hobby and am a complete beginner having not done any sort of art since leaving school quite a few years ago. Since discovering my love of drawing and after searching for advice on drawing I stumbled across the site. Hoping to improve my drawing skills and go on to try different mediums such as charcoal and pastels.

Rennie5711
11-20-2015, 06:20 PM
2nd post so I can attach preclass drawings http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Nov-2015/1977887-image.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Nov-2015/1977887-image.jpg

arnoud3272
11-21-2015, 09:59 AM
Welcome to the classroom, Rennie :).
Nice drawing already :clap:.

SoulessRaven
12-19-2015, 02:32 AM
Hi my name is Craig I'm 26 and work as a Baker. I've always loved drawing but since I left school I stopped drawing. I'd like to learn the fundamentals of drawing and over time hopefully develop my own style. This is my first drawing in pencil in 10 years, I look forward to learning with you all.

arnoud3272
12-19-2015, 04:58 AM
Welcome to the classroom, Craig :)

JLeigh1212
12-19-2015, 09:21 PM
I've been lurking over in the Watercolor forum off and on for a few months now. The other day I decided to check out some of the other forums and was excited to see a sub-forum in Drawing and Sketching called Classroom, I was delighted to find that there is a wide range of courses, and that the entire thing is still active! A huge thank you to the Admins, Mods, and contributors who are keeping this fantastic resource alive and well. As a self motivated artist it can be rather difficult to master the basics, find and follow a path of growth, and receive guidance, feedback, and critique. I am very grateful to have discovered this wonderful place.

Post 1/2 to post a picture.

JLeigh1212
12-19-2015, 09:39 PM
I'm 33 and have just gotten back into art after a 10+ year hiatus. I've only ever taken art classes in high school, nothing that I would call formal art instruction. Still I had always loved drawing and creating. All through school I was determined to go on to Art School after graduation. My senior year brought reps from local art colleges to our class to show us "sample portfolios" of people who had been accepted and who had not been accepted. The portfolios of those who had NOT been accepted showed examples of work that seemed so far better than my own that I felt crushed. I figured there was no way I would be able to get in, or ever become half the artist that these other people who had been rejected were. I swore off art then and there. In retrospect it was probably a good thing that I didn't jump right into insane finical dept going to any well known art school .... still, it was a painful time

Thankfully I stubbornly held of to all of my supplies! It took a long time to get over the comparison blow but I have. I am back to making art for the sake of making art. Drawing and painting makes me happy! For now I am content making art for myself and my interest lies in watercolor landscapes. Though, it is a fun daydream to think about compiling a portfolio for independent contract illustration and themed work to sell/display at festivals. But for now I just want to focus on mastering the basics :)

Post 2/2 to post a picture.

JLeigh1212
12-19-2015, 09:42 PM
And last but not least, my pre-assignment image. Two tiny pumpkins stacked atop one another :)http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2015/1978865-2pumpkins121915.jpg

arnoud3272
12-20-2015, 10:46 AM
Welcome to the classroom, JLeigh :).

LynneDe
12-20-2015, 09:04 PM
Hello, I am LynneDe. I work normally in Cold Porcelain, creating life-sized replicas of flowers and botanicals. (I normally post in Floral and Botanical forum of WC, if you are interested in seeing the kind of work I have done. )

As you can see from my reference photo, I am not able to do that at present, I took a spill on Black Ice this past Wednesday resulting in a sprained wrist and thumb.

I have always aspired to draw, paint, make 2-D art and since I am on bed rest for a strained groin and bruised hip as well, I figure this is the time!

I drew my hand from life, but had to move it to get my phone so I could print out a reference photo for the future drawing. Therefore, my drawing and the photo do not have exactly the same perspective.

I humbly request permission to join the 101 Drawing Class.

Blessings, LynneDe

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2015/1962386-IMAG0043.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2015/1962386-IMAG0046.jpg

arnoud3272
12-21-2015, 10:56 AM
Welcome to the classroom, Lynne :).
That's a lot of bad luck.

Pamraye
01-01-2016, 01:14 PM
Hello, I just recently started drawing again after a 20 year hiatus. My interest is in realistic drawing, especially portrait work, of animals and people. My training so far was a couple of introductory college drawing classes in the 90s, and I recently took another intro drawing class at the local community art center. From reading other posts, I expect I will have to post a second time before I can add my pre-class drawing.

Pamraye
01-01-2016, 01:24 PM
Second post, to allow for the image upload.

Pamraye
01-01-2016, 01:27 PM
I used a photo from the wetcanvas reference library as the subject of this drawing. I used graphite pencils ranging from 3h to 4b on drawing paper.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2016/1978726-Pre-class_drawing.jpg_629x800.jpg

arnoud3272
01-01-2016, 04:07 PM
Welcome to the classroom, Pamraye :).
This is a very fine drawing :clap:.
You've already attained a high level, please move on to any of the classes that look interesting to you, in any order :thumbsup:.
Don't forget to look also into the classes in the Portraiture (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=41) forum.

sbp
01-03-2016, 06:34 PM
Hello! My name is Susan and I am thrilled to have found this site! I have always loved to draw, and paint, but have never taken any formal art classes. After decades-long hiatus from art, i started painted again about a year ago, and stared drawing again about 3 months ago. I am attaching my reference drawing...I drew this a gift for my husband for Christmas. I am looking forward to growing and learning on this site!

arnoud3272
01-04-2016, 02:55 AM
Welcome to the classroom, Susan :)
Nice work :clap:.
Please move on to the classes :thumbsup:.

Sam B
01-07-2016, 04:10 AM
Hi my name is Samuel. I keep practicing, trying to improve my standard in drawing. Here's a pre-class assignment, drawn with an HB on print paper. (Scanned it low quality, so it is quite pixelated.)

Sam B
01-07-2016, 04:23 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jan-2016/1977835-lion.jpg

arnoud3272
01-07-2016, 05:26 AM
Welcome to the classroom, Samuel :).
Nice drawing.
Please move on to the classes :thumbsup:

vivspink
01-08-2016, 11:58 AM
Hi, I am new here and I am not sure if I am doing this correctly or not, but here I go. I have been creating art for almost 50 years, have taken a few classes in different mediums yet I do not feel my drawing/sketching is
consistent and that is what I would like to work on here. I have uploaded 2 of my drawings for a reprensentation of my work, they are neighter my best or worst.

arnoud3272
01-08-2016, 01:45 PM
Welcome to the classroom, vivspink :).
You've already a good eye for the forms.

rowlger
01-19-2016, 05:45 PM
Hello. I'm in it to learn watercolours :) But before I start on that, I want to gain a solid understanding of all aspects of drawing.

I have drawn a pencil sketch of a watercolour piece by Tillith (http://tillithblue.tumblr.com/post/130124940810).
The work is called Needle.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2016/1980114-20160120-needle.jpg

arnoud3272
01-20-2016, 04:34 PM
Welcome to WetCanvas and to the classroom :).

reynard80
01-26-2016, 03:30 AM
Hi, I'm drawing for fun now and then. I'd like to improve on it, as I don't feel too confident on my technique and knowledge. It makes me impatient as well, which sometimes makes for messy drawings :angel:

I hope to learn a bit on the complete essentials of drawing here, which kind of intimidate me :(

Here are two quick recent drawings/sketches, one in pencil, the other charcoal.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jan-2016/1980431-IMG_20160125_220210.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jan-2016/1980431-IMG_20160125_213526.jpg

arnoud3272
01-26-2016, 05:21 AM
Welcome to the classroom, Reynard :).

KateMcC
01-28-2016, 04:57 PM
Hello everyone! Over the decades, I was frustrated in all of my attempts to create any art and would give up every time. This year, focusing on self-discipline, I realized that perhaps it is not a matter of talent, but of persistence.

Being concerned that in my mid 50s, it may be too late, I picked up Danny Gregory's book, "The Creative License" and was energized by his introduction in which he compares creative education to learning to drive a car. Eventually, I found my way here and to another art tutorial site. After watching a short tutorial on drawing with the grid system, I immediately saw results, which are attached-- my fourth attempt at drawing a lioness and my most successful drawing ever. I think I actually CAN learn to draw! I will be moving through the class a bit slowly, as I am starting a new job. Thanks so much for this resource!

~Kate

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jan-2016/1980418-lioness-sketch-final.jpg

arnoud3272
01-29-2016, 02:45 AM
Very nice, Kate :clap:
Welcome to the classroom :)

simon ess
02-01-2016, 01:03 PM
Hi

I'm new to drawing and new to WC. I think this course will be perfect for me. Thank you so much for putting it together.

I think this is a fair representation of my current level. (I hope I post it correctly.)

simon ess
02-01-2016, 01:04 PM
Aah, just discovered I need to make 2 posts before I can upload an image.

I'll put the image in my next post.

I'm really looking forward to starting this.

simon ess
02-01-2016, 01:07 PM
Right, here we go.

As I said, I'm a complete beginner.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Feb-2016/1980557-DSC_4825.jpg

arnoud3272
02-01-2016, 04:22 PM
Welcome to the classroom, Simon :clap:

AggieMom
02-10-2016, 07:53 PM
Hi everyone! I'm glad to have found this site. I am a complete novice when it comes to anything relating to art but want to give it a go.

I have recently been forced into early retirement for medical reasons and I am transitioning from being a workaholic to learning to look at the finer things in life. I am challenged by rheumatoid arthritis but I am inspired by Renoir, who continued to paint even after he was forced to tie the brushes to his hands after they were gnarled by this disease!

I'll make this my first post so that I can post my image in the second!

AggieMom
02-10-2016, 07:55 PM
My pre-class drawing is of a poppy flower I found in the reference image library. Your feedback is always welcome and appreciated!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2016/1980937-Pre_Class_Poppy_020816_2.jpg

arnoud3272
02-11-2016, 02:56 AM
Welcome to the classroom, Roberta :)

amorozova
02-11-2016, 12:21 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2016/1981117-IMG_20160211_201158.jpg
Hi everyone! I'm Anna a newbie in drawing and totally incompetent in perspective, shades and volume . Adore flowers, nature, stillife and landscapes.
Have limited time to practice, but trying to catch 5-15 minutes every day.

arnoud3272
02-11-2016, 03:06 PM
Welcome to the classroom, Anna :)
No hurry needed, work in your own time :thumbsup:.
Please move on to class 1 :music:.

Josh.Johnston
02-13-2016, 01:37 PM
Hello all!

This is my first post to WC but I've lurked here for quite some time. I have experience drawing/sketching throughout grade school and have been to Graphic Design college with a short class (6 weeks) on Illustration. I am coming back to art after a very long break of more than a decade. College was in 2000-2002. I did not make a career of Graphic Design, but still aspire toward a freelance career, even if part time. I won't bore people with personal details, but like a lot of other Creatives, life has thrown both tragedy and blessings upon my journey and things took a different turn for a while. I'm here to plant my feet firmly back on the path of my art journey!

I must apologize up front, as I began these lessons as a way to work up on the fundamentals again, not believing that I would actually post in the forums. I began the exercises and "How to draw" book to find my skills again and begin improving from there. I am a far cry from some of the amazing artists I've seen here on WC! but I would not consider myself a beginner either. Part of me felt like I may intrude on this class by posting above beginner skill level, as I'm well aware of feeling like my abilities fall short when comparing to artists of greater experience. So I've completed up through lesson 3 and about to begin lesson 4, now coming to realize that participating with this fine group and getting feedback and critiques will help me far and beyond just "practicing" on my own and shadowing the class. It may also show those that are just getting started, that these skills can be developed from any starting level and practice is really what it takes. If it were just talent, I would be producing work as if I'd never stopped :wink2:

My challenge is not only returning to my former skill level and improving beyond limits, but to keep the ego in check, which I feel played a major role in my absence from the artistic journey. Sitting down and doing work worse than what I used to do is very frustrating and discouraging. It leaves me apprehensive about trying again :( I've come to realize (with help from WC! artists writings on the subject) that it is this judging that stops the process completely! I can't find the joy, freedom and playfulness of creating while that little voice keeps judging the work before it even gets going, let alone completed!

My first post is not a challenge of subject matter, as much as a challenge to quiet the ego, find the joy and DO IT. It is finding a way back to my skill level through fundamentals, so I can work on becoming "better than I've ever been". And more specifically, I need to improve on overall speed and accuracy level, seeing and breaking down images to avoid repeatedly working and reworking areas as the drawing progresses and things become noticeably "off".

I will post each of the lessons one at a time and not proceed without approval, even though the actual work is done. I don't want to get ahead of myself any further and will rework anything deemed needing it before proceeding as well. Thank you for the opportunity to participate! I look forward to participating and receiving feedback from the WC community!

Josh

Josh.Johnston
02-13-2016, 01:44 PM
It seems I've saved my image too big! I'll have to fix it this evening when I get home from work :(

Sorry for the delay! Have a great day :)

arnoud3272
02-13-2016, 04:53 PM
Welcome to the classroom, Josh :).
Very commendable decision :thumbsup:.
It seems I've saved my image too big! I'll have to fix it this evening when I get home from work :( Actually I don't think so. As long it is not larger than 800 by 800 pixels, it should be OK. The issue is the number of posts, as a (somewhat naive) measure to block spamming bots, you cannot upload before having made 2 posts.

Josh.Johnston
02-13-2016, 11:14 PM
Thank you Arnoud :)

I took note of the two post requirement and tried again. I did forget to check the sizes and I've corrected that now. Again, I apologize for the delay :eek:

I'm working towards a completed work, in color, for my daughter's 23rd birthday. She happens to love dolphins, so this is the start of my focal point in this project. I have a ways to go still and 5 weeks to get there!

Included is the first attempt and reference. Thanks for the look and c&c!

arnoud3272
02-14-2016, 03:24 AM
:thumbsup:

New Sue
02-14-2016, 01:31 PM
Here we go. This is my pre_class drawing. Looking forward to making good progress and sharing everyone's advice and support.
Suehttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Feb-2016/1980308-DSC01759.JPG

arnoud3272
02-14-2016, 04:32 PM
Welcome to the classroom, Sue :)
You're off to a good start :thumbsup:.
Please move on to class 1 :music:

DawnDR
03-20-2016, 10:51 AM
Hi everyone!

I'm glad to have found this class. I primarily paint in oils, and want to improve my drawing skills to build a better technical foundation for my painting. I don't have formal training, and have only been painting since the beginning of last year; I'm definitely a beginner.

Here's my pre-class drawing. I decided to draw one of the penguins from the invitation photo for last weekend's Weekend Drawing Event (over here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1400829)).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Mar-2016/1969555-IMG_6696.jpeg

arnoud3272
03-20-2016, 01:45 PM
Welcome to the classroom, Dawn :).
Thank you for posting your drawing, good job :clap:.
Please move on to class 1 :music: