PDA

View Full Version : Daily Painting 14th - 20th December 2009

GaryNorthants
12-13-2009, 08:52 PM
All media are welcome and the goal is to complete a painting or a piece of art within a day. There is no set subject, or time limit to work within.

All are welcome so don't be shy. Looking forward to another week of great art.

Commenting is optional but it is highly appreciated. If you don't have much time to comment then don't worry but please keep on posting your art. New faces are always welcome. Have a great week everyone.

Gary

eyepaint
12-13-2009, 11:51 PM
Happy Monday!

This is ink and watercolour, 5x7"

Cheers,

eyepaint
12-14-2009, 10:35 AM
Acrylics, 7x10"

LGHumphrey
12-14-2009, 03:51 PM
EP, how do you do that, first a waterproof India ink?

Boyfriend of the young lady I posted yesterday.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Dec-2009/60616-DSC_000129.JPG

prestonsega
12-14-2009, 04:06 PM
started this last pm and finished this afternoon. Is going to be a Christmas gift for my cousin and his wife. It is from a photograph that was taken from the bridge of this section of the Ocmulgee River. For any movie buffs that have seen "My Cousin Vinny", this bridge is in the opening scene. This is red clay country, but I used artists license in color choices.

9" x 12" soft pastel on Wallis

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Dec-2009/29946-DSCF2306resz.jpg

lovin art
12-14-2009, 04:24 PM
Hi Everyone, Preston, thats a beautiful pastel and your colour choice's are brillant and yep i seen that movie....:thumbsup:

Nice pen & ink wash there EP, Who is she!:thumbsup:

LG, nice portrait he reminds me of one of the fab four! Paul i think!:thumbsup:

Heres a start on this in oils, there are things i dont like in this so mite bin it:lol:

Sandra

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Dec-2009/186639-DSCN3568.JPG

hammelmanart
12-14-2009, 07:34 PM
EP - your girls are great! neat style and another great style with the floral
Lawrence that guy is good looking! His hair is super
Preston what a beautiful scene, so peaceful
Sandra she has attitude! Keep going!

Here is one I did tonight to replace a painting lost by the PO. The buyer is distraught and it did not take long so I feel better just replacing it for him.

11 x 14 watercolor Lakeside II
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Dec-2009/157586-lakeside-2.jpg

robertsloan2
12-14-2009, 07:38 PM
EP, your portrait of the girl is great! Love the way both of your pieces still have your signature primaries, in the acrylic semi-abstract, muting the red to pink is very effective.

Lawrence, he looks good! You've really got the likeness. This one seems a little less finished than some, was that deliberate? The lower half of his face has a lot less contrast and without shading on his teeth, that gives a slightly sketchy look that pushes attention back up to his eyes, eyebrows and hair.

Preston, your pastel landscape is so beautiful. I love the depth and dimension in it, the sense of distance and rich life in such a gorgeous location. I feel as if this is only a tiny slice of a vast wilderness area. I love scenes like that, where it feels as if the nearest human life is hundreds of miles away.

Sandra, good start on the portrait! Don't trash her, oils are forgiving. Proportions are excellent, features are all perfect and very refined, only toward the outer edges of her face and texture of her hair is there any trouble and that just looks less finished rather than actually off in any way. Where that linear element under her chin to her neck is, you could shade her neck in the hue and value of the line and give a less "drawn" look, while on the right side of her face (observer's left) bringing her hair forward might help deal with a soft edge where there might be a hard edge or at least a much more dramatic shadow shading in toward the lit area of her face.

Definitely a keeper, needs a little work but from what's there, don't trash this one. She's beautiful, just needs a little help at the outermost edges. Hair texture itself is nice, it's just the edge between hair and face on my left and the shadow under the chin that I see as unfinished.

Today I finally got around to trying my new Art Spectrum pastels. I lucked and got the old set of Pure Tones from ASW on clearance, been drooling at it all summer and ordered practically at the last minute. They took it down the day after my order was placed, so that was pure luck getting the set. I didn't buy one minute too soon. Now I love them.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Dec-2009/70184-2-Cherries-AS.jpg
2 Cherries
5" x 7"
Art Spectrum pastels on Leaf Green Dark Art Spectrum Colourfix paper.

Photo reference is mine, posted for the December Pastel Strokes in Soft Pastel Talk forum if anyone else wants to try it in some form of pastels. Also four other photos from me and one nice holiday one full of textures from the RIL.

eyepaint
12-14-2009, 07:41 PM
Lawrence - this is a waterproof India ink from deSerres. I apply it first (via toothpick!) and then add wc washes. You know lots of people with red hair :)

Preston - lovely scene

Sandra - thank you. This is a relative. Love the lips on your portrait.

prestonsega
12-14-2009, 10:24 PM
I wrote comments earlier tonight but in my hurry, I failed to post.

EP.......On first and second look at your portrait, I was reminded of the serograph portraits of celebraties done by Andy Warhol.... l am impressed by the expresivness of your linear work.

Lawrence......The eyes of this model sparkle with youthful vitality. (Dang I miss being 20...lol )

Sandra.....The young lady's mouth is also espressive in a pouty way often seen in beautiful fashion models.

Robert...Excellent use of negative space to create a composition that holds the viewers interest. I haven't figured out how you were able to "break" the "rule of 3's" and still make it work. Perhaps it is the way the soft upper edge of the front cherry allows the brain to see it as "1", or maybe the 3 seen shadows tell the brain that there are 3 cherries present but one isn't seen.....Very clever!

Linda.......Expressive seems to be the sentiment of the night. The colors are very fresh and....expressive....lol. BTW..I took a look at your blog tonight and saw your Georgia inspired painting...I know it is a scene from my old stomping grounds of South GA (because of the Spanish moss)...Where in specific?

lovin art
12-15-2009, 04:30 AM
Linda, that lakeside wc is really pretty,...beautiful colours...:thumbsup:

Robert, those Cherries are sooooooo lovely its not funny:thumbsup: you rendered them beautifully:thumbsup: , i to have the Art Spectrum pastels but i've never really used pastels only oil pastels, should dig them out!...and thankyou for telling me not to bin her I'll attack her again and see what i come up with! and thanks to EP, LINDA, and Preston For your wonderful cc....

Sandra:D

hammelmanart
12-15-2009, 10:52 AM
Preston, the Lane in Georgia is from the landscape forum challenge for this month and I think it is St. Simon's.

Robert your cherries are scrumptious!

Joan T
12-15-2009, 11:15 AM
EP - Love your sunny portrait. I like the negative work in the acrylic!

Lawrence - Great portrait!

Preston - Love the blending of the colors...lovely!!!

Sandra - I think the oil portrait is coming along great. Don't give up on it.

Linda - Beautiful colors and reflection! Sorry the original got lost.

Robert - Wow! The cherries are a knockout.

Not much time for artwork lately, but here are a few.
"Self Portrait" 4 x 6 watercolor pencils
"Birches in the Snow" 2.5 x 3.5 ink and watercolor

hammelmanart
12-15-2009, 01:02 PM
Joan, brave to do a self portrait! I have yet to try it. Your birch trees are nicely composed and the leaves create a good pattern. Well done!

The post office delivered the guy's painting this morning 1 week after their delivery confirmation said they had. And luckily I had not shipped yet, so one more for sale!

prestonsega
12-15-2009, 02:56 PM
Joan..not being a portrait painter, and never having attempted a self portrait, the only thing I can say is "Bravo"!. As for the landscape, "Yum!"...The complimentary orange/ blue work well for you in the is execution.

LGHumphrey
12-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Preston, very colourful yet subdued, makes for pleasant viewing. 20? I miss being 70!

Sandra, don't bin it.

hammelmanart, glad to read it wasn't lost.

robert, great to see you! No, not deliberate, but I must admit that the one of Dame Judi Dench was certainly a lot more finished. Good to see the cherries, that's the main crop here in Torrelles.

Joan, love those trees.

Same young lady I painted 2 days ago, but smiling this time.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Dec-2009/60616-DSC_000130.JPG

robertsloan2
12-15-2009, 05:02 PM
Joan, cool self portrait! Good proportions and distinctive features, this is great. Your birches are beyond magnificent, I love nature scenes and those just speak to me of winter and crunching through snow when there's not much wind. It has that feel of winter perfectly, exactly the right blue for a winter sky.

Lawrence, nice portrait of the young lady! I like the way her smile goes to her eyes, you really caught her in a happy mood and not just smiling for the artist.

Thanks for everybody's comments on my cherries! They wound up on my wall, couldn't bear to just put them away when I was done. The only down side is that now I wish there were about three pounds of real ones in the house again.

I need to get some more of my favorite fruits, the ones that inspire me.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Dec-2009/70184-Roses-OP.jpg
Roses
6" x 8"
Caran d'Ache Neopastel on Leaf Green Dark AS Colourfix sanded pastel paper.
Painted from sketches of A Perfect Rose that I did in 2006 when Kitten gave me one of the peach-pink-salmon roses that Karl gave her.

eyepaint
12-15-2009, 10:26 PM
preston - thank you

Joan - thank you. The birches piece is well done. When I saw your SP I knew it was for the scavenger hunt ... and that somehow I unsubscribed myself from that hunt ... and I thought everyone was asleep!

Robert - love that roses piece. The colours just ZING!

Joan T
12-16-2009, 10:56 AM
Linda - Thanks. I've done a few sps for the Artwork from Life thread, but I'm never happy with them. It is good practice.

Preston - Thanks so much!

Lawrence - Your portraits are always so rich looking!

Robert - Thanks. Now that you mentioned the cherries again my mouth is watering for some.lol Lovely coloring on your rose, especially against the dark background...dramatic that way!

EP - Thanks. I posted the sp in both places.

I did these last night for the scavenger hunt I'm hosting. They are both 4 x 6 done in ink and watercolors.

Crowwoman
12-16-2009, 11:43 AM
Ep, Lovely sketches.

LG, oh want great color. Love it.

Preston, Love the soft pastel. You are making me want to do one. What a lovely gift this is going to be...Well, done!

Sandra, please don't bin her. She is quite lovely.

Linda, I adore your water color. Love the colors.

Robert, your cherries are wonderful. Love the brush strokes.

Joan, love the self portrait and the landscape is fabulous.

LG, Love the finished portrait. Love the smile!

Robert, Love the rose. Interesting effect.

Joan, oh love the scavenger hunt pieces!

Crowwoman
12-16-2009, 11:47 AM
This started out as a black pen and ink sketch...it had a mind of its own..
This is how it wanted to look. ~!~Crowie

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Dec-2009/55027-Winter_Landscape_Lone_Tree.jpg

LGHumphrey
12-16-2009, 04:04 PM
Thanks Robert. Radiant colour on those roses.

Cheery sketches, Joan, especially the 2nd one.

Crow, I'm glad it had a mind of its own, looks great.

Young lady washed her hair and I got some snapshots of her with her hair up.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Dec-2009/60616-DSC_00038.JPG

Desiree
12-17-2009, 01:11 AM
this is my girlfriends King Charles Spaniel, 8"x10" pastel in two hours. I couldn't sleep so I painted!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Dec-2009/79734-DSC_0195.JPG

Crowwoman
12-17-2009, 08:27 AM
Desiree, oh I bet your girlfriend is going to be thrilled when she sees this!
Fabulous job on the Spaniel. ~!~Crowie

prestonsega
12-17-2009, 08:37 AM
WOW! This is the "cat's meow".

prestonsega
12-17-2009, 12:15 PM
Lawrence...your body of work has a continuity of style that is so totally recognizable...Many of us struggle with this but it seems to have come to you easily (after untold ours at the easel, of course)

Joan...the candy apple is yummy, but the loosely executed tree and ornaments is superb. It has a great spontaneity that coincides with this private glimpse of the Christmas holidays. (The lobster is a great ornament.,where did you get it?)

Crowie....the blue gray of this digi work evokes a chilly sense of winter appropriate to the subject.

Robert...the red/green complimentary color combination works well for you in this painting.

Desiree,.... This work leaves me speechless...Kudos!

At the risk of being repetitous, I am cross-posting this painting done this am for the Landscape challenge....9" X 12" soft pastel on Wallis

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2009/29946-S7300665resz.jpg

LGHumphrey
12-17-2009, 01:34 PM
Desiree, so well done! Is that going to be a Xmas present for your friend?

Preston, really I'm only at the easel one and a half to two hours a day (and this one today even less) but it's every day every day every day--I'm retired and my time's my own. Thanks for the comment, glad to know I have a certain recognizable style.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2009/60616-DSC_000131.JPG

Joan T
12-17-2009, 02:47 PM
Crowie - Thank you. Glad you let the sketch do what it wanted. It looks very striking!

Lawrence - Thanks. Wonderful mesmerizing blue eyes! Both paintings are lovely!!

Desiree - Gorgeous job on the dog, and wonderful colors!!! She will flip over that.

Preston - Thank you. The lobster ornament was a gift from my sister's children. They live in Maine. I love all the shades in your foliage...super!

I only had time yesterday for my Scavenger Hunt sketches so here are two:

Desiree
12-17-2009, 05:09 PM
HI everyone, thank you for the nice comments. Everyones work is really beautiful. I am trying to squeeze in some small pieces and practice different techniques on different papers. Joan I miss our swaps!

Joan T
12-18-2009, 01:58 PM
Desiree - Thanks. I've been doing a lot of ATC exchanges. You should do one!

"It's a Wrap" 4 x 6 watercolor from my own setup.

LGHumphrey
12-18-2009, 02:06 PM
Cheers Joan. You've posted 2 very different but very enjoyable paintings.

Hi Desiree, waiting to see some more of your excellent work.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Dec-2009/60616-DSC_000213.JPG

prestonsega
12-18-2009, 03:48 PM
Lawrence.....another beauty of a beauty!

Joan........The holly berries and the snowmen are too cool, and the "found" still life is beautiful in its simplicity...."less is more".

While working on this painting done on my last sheet of Wallis, the delivery man showed up with my order of Uart paper. I have never used it and, like Desiree, plan to do several small experiments on each of the 4 grades of grit.

Started this last afternoon and finished this am....Cross posted in Dec. Landscape Challenge...17" x 21" soft pastel on Wallis Belgian mist

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Dec-2009/29946-Declandscapechallenge2_resz.jpg

robertsloan2
12-19-2009, 12:58 AM
Lawrence, she is one of your best! I love the 3/4 angle, it shows her features to best advantage. Her complexion's perfect, eyes lovely, mouth lush and gorgeous... everything about her is elegant. She looked good in the earlier one but this one is stunning. One of your best.

Preston, wow. I love both of your pastel landscapes. They are so spectacular, they draw me right in.

Desiree, that little dog is perfect. Wonderful portrait.

Crowwoman, chilling winter scene. It's very powerful and expressive. I love the tree and that sense of damp bitter cold you created.

Today I got out my 24 color set of Coloursoft instead of hauling out the big set, just opened the small tin I got when they first came out, realizing how much I used that before I got the big set. It's getting snaggly! Good -- I can use them up now, it's still a good range. So I did a page of Coloursoft sketches, one from life, one from my own previous life sketches and two from Artist's Photo Reference: Flowers by Gary Greene. The rose is the flower I did from my life sketch.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Dec-2009/70184-Coloursoft-Sketches-Page.jpg
Coloursoft Sketches Page
8 1/2" x 11"
Derwent Coloursoft on white ProArt wirebound sketchbook paper.

Joan T
12-19-2009, 10:58 AM
Lawrence - Thanks. You have such a collection of lovely portraits of this young woman. This is a beauty!

Preston - Thank you. Oooh! Beautiful glow to your landscape.

Robert - Gorgeous flowers!! I like the textural effect of the shading on the petals. Super pine cone and rocks.

These were also done as items for my scavenger hunt. I am definitely in the holiday spirit.

"Ready to Bake" 4 x 6 watercolor and ink
"Tea and a Cookie" 4 x 6 watercolor

prestonsega
12-19-2009, 12:35 PM
Robert...You have an uncanny, inate sense of composition...This collection of subjects read as a unified framable work. Even the written notes add to its cohesiveness.... Strong Z comp!

Joan...what is this scavenger hunt you speak of? It has certainly served you well as a source of inspiration.

LGHumphrey
12-19-2009, 02:37 PM
Preston, love the soft colours on that.

Cheers Robert, nice flowers but I especially like the way you are able to represent a pinecone.

Hi Joan. Cookies! My favourite fruit. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2009/60616-DSC_000214.JPG

AlainJ
12-19-2009, 02:45 PM
This was not an easy subject.
It was painted for a fund raiser for a local NGO....
A Chistmas gift for Hassan
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2009/154785-Hassan.JPG
Watercolour 14x29
on Fabriano rough 300gsm

GaryNorthants
12-19-2009, 09:30 PM
Fabulous work everyone. A belated welcome to the thread Preston, enjoying your pastels. Sorry I am not contributing myself just now but still preoccupied with many other projects.
Best wishes
Gary

LGHumphrey
12-20-2009, 11:46 AM
Nicely painted, Alain. Boy soldiers--such a sad thing.

Transparent Oxide Red, Tr. Ox. Brown, and van Dyke Brown. With a swish of blue for the irises.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2009/60616-DSC_00039.JPG

Crowwoman
12-20-2009, 03:57 PM
Fabulous work everyone.!! Glad I peeked back in here. ~!~Crowie

Crowwoman
12-20-2009, 06:21 PM
I really had fun with this one. I like how her right hand turned out and I like the water..lol .... Oil Bristel Brush and a smear brush.
This is a WDE for this week.
~!~Crowie

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2009/55027-BEACH_WALKER_.jpg

prestonsega
12-20-2009, 08:53 PM
Lawrence.....the eyes are remarkable on both of these works

Alain...this is a powerful, somewhat disturbing work. It definately stirs the emotions. The execution (no pun intended) is superb.

Crowie...nice 3-D effect in this digi work.