PDA

View Full Version : A woman and her horse

Lady Carol
12-13-2009, 06:30 PM
This is almost complete C&C please. I did not have the best pics for her, but it does look like her.
Apologies for the picture. It is not the best with the flash.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Dec-2009/11811-IMG_3183.JPG

gaykir
12-13-2009, 09:14 PM
Nice work Carol. That horse has such personality! My only crit is that you may want to double check the ladies nose. It looks nearly 3/4 view while the rest of her face is closer to head on. It's an easy fix though.

noodle1
12-13-2009, 10:16 PM
Carol, like how you finally arrived at the bottom third. Looks great!

Just visually because I can't see your reference photos, but the right side of the horse's face..eye looks a bit high and wouldn't that side of the face in that angle be a bit more straight...Only way I can explain is this very rough sketch
Course eye direction would have to adjust to the way you have it. And I do love the way you painted his markings!

Think her nose will almost adjust itself if you pull that right side corner in to be in direct line with her pupil, other just about is, won't take away the big smile but will just balance things out a bit more.

Animal wise I could be all wet, I don't paint animals so I should perhaps not suggest anything, but that one side just didn't seem quite right to me...but I think seriously you did a terrific job with the challenge you were given. Hope you don't mind my thoughts and visuals.

Elaine

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Dec-2009/139027-horse-head.jpg

Lady Carol
12-14-2009, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the comments. I will revisit this Tuesday.

This is what I had to work with. The horse pic is mine
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Dec-2009/11811-IMG_2959-small.jpg

And her...not the best photos at all :(
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Dec-2009/11811-100_0635-small.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Dec-2009/11811-100_0634-small.jpg

noodle1
12-14-2009, 09:36 AM
Woah no not such good references for her at all, you did wildly fantastic then.

So then all you really have to do is define those bone structures should make it spot on to your reference shot of the horse, the curved areas will straighten out then I think.....and as you play with the light source it'll catch the angle perfectly.. Still say with what you had to work with, this one is an accomplishment indeed.

Seriously I'd be a bit lost, you did great..

Elaine

Lady Carol
12-14-2009, 10:52 AM
It has been a battle. She is not the most attractive but ahhhh what are ya gonna do? Anyway, I am happy that it at least looks like her and it does look like the horse and a little more work is needed on both.

Thanks for the input. It is greatly appreciated.

gaykir
12-14-2009, 11:04 AM
LOL! Some people just shouldn't be painted - not really but I see where you're coming from. This is a very difficult selection of photos and subjects. You've done well. You're quite right - it does look like her!

OkeeKat
12-14-2009, 11:15 AM
Great work on this Carol, what a difficult subject!!
I love the way you have split it up with the jumping at the bottom, fabulous!
Done very well! I know she's going to love it!!

purplepansey
12-14-2009, 11:31 AM
Carol it's an interesting painting. I like your reference pictures too, well done.

Al talk
12-14-2009, 11:35 AM
Hi Carol,
What a great acomplishment with the woman's face given the ref. photos, you've done the impossible!
I think the horses neck area needs blending it appears to have a round cheek instead of a neck on the left side facing. Maybe only define the bottom neck area. Not a good sketch below however I hope it indicates the neck area that I would only leave clearly defined.
Al

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Dec-2009/181826-horse_fragment.JPGas

Lady Carol
12-14-2009, 12:10 PM
Thank you Gail, Kathie, Purple and Al.

Al especially thanks for the added info on where to work on the horse. Appreciate the comments. :wave:

Ozone
12-14-2009, 04:29 PM
Can’t make a diamond from coal they say, and that’s what your client is asking. I wish I had just one suggestion, all I can say is “Kilroy was here.”

Oz:)

Lady Carol
12-14-2009, 05:50 PM
“Kilroy was here.”
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MoonRise
12-15-2009, 02:36 AM
C&C wise, I agree with the comment from Post#2 about the lady's nose. Although she does not have an, ahem, 'delicate' nose, the proportions and perspective -could- be adjusted a bit. Right now the nose looks like it is really shifted to her right (left in the painting). Her face seems to be mostly painted 'head-on' ( except for the shadowing/shading on her right cheek side) but the nose is 3/4 angled to her right (left in the painting).

Also, her lower lip seems a bit 'thin' in the painting. The head-on reference photo (the one with the eyes closed) shows her lower lip as not super thin, and the smiling reference photo also a bit more fullness to the lower lip than what I see in the painting.

Also, on the horse's head, the ears in the photo show a slight 'tilt' or asymmetry on the tips that are in the 'center' of the head (as opposed to the outside aspect of the ears). Your painting shows the nice smooth curve on the 'outside' of the ears, but doesn't have that little tilt or 'jag' on the inside edges of the ears near the top. (marked up in green)

Also, the horse's nose in the photo has that delicate pink shade widest at the nostrils but then tapers inward and gets narrower as the pink goes to the lips where it then widens out on the top lip. Your painting image shows that delicate pink widening from the nostrils all the way out to the outer 'corners' of the upper lip without first tapering inward. (marked in red)

Also, the curves on the sides of the horse's face from 'cheeks' down to nostrils don't seem symmetrical in the painting as compared to the photo (marked up in blue).

Tough job to get a good likeness of the lady -and- the horse. I think it's close but not quite there.

Lady Carol
12-15-2009, 09:20 AM
Hi Moonrise, thank you so much for the critiques. I appreciate it. Good points too.

Kathrin G.
12-15-2009, 03:34 PM
Hi Carol :wave:
goodness girl, you sure know how to make your paintings as hard as possible :eek: :lol:
Fair due for doing it :clap: :clap: I think I would have kindly declined to even try :o
Just painting a grey pony from a bad ref myself, ..... its so not easy.
Anyway, yo got plenty good points already, so I am not gonna add much either.
Just one thing I would like you to think about,.....I think you are falling into the photo distortion trap :o Take a look at how big the muzzle looks and how big it really should only be :wink2:

But all in all, I know this will be gorgeous when your finished. So looking forward to the final :clap:

debee
12-15-2009, 04:46 PM
Carol, the references being what they are, I think you did a fine job on this. I can't add much in addition to what has already been suggested, except maybe to turn your horse reference upside down along with the painting which may help you distinguish where some of the adjustments need to be made in the form.

Nice work!

Mz_Sketch_Pad
12-15-2009, 07:04 PM
i likewhat i see-great concept

susme48
12-15-2009, 07:58 PM
Carol....I agree with Kathrin ...goodness girl, you sure know how to make your paintings as hard as possible :eek:...especially since I just went thru' this as well...:o You have some great advice from people....I sent a pm to show you a superimpose....I know you will get this, because it is so close now!!

Wonderful work with such ummmm.....errrrrr.....'lovely' refs!!

Lady Carol
12-16-2009, 12:10 AM
Thank you Kathrin, Debbie, Mz & Susan (for the PM) and for the added help.

I have worked on him some tonight removing the araby-likeness around the muzzle. He still needs a little more done but it looking better. As for her, I elongated her face a little, toned down the cheeks, thickened the bottom lip and adjusted the nose. Will post in a couple of days after I have done some more to it.