PDA

View Full Version : Michelle and Her Mom

simon levenson
09-11-2002, 11:56 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-11-2002/2187_michelle_and_mom.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Michelle and Her Mom
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 20x24
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
A commission

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I am actually interested in what people have to say about this, without me saying too much. Honesty Welcomed.

djstar
09-12-2002, 01:46 AM
Looks like a great leap from what might have been michelle's dad and brother from a while back.
I like tight crops. It appeals to me from the "cut to the chase" sometimes called the "headless dj" style.
No extranea. It is very warm. It appears the only thing I notice not positive is quite probably a digital distortion from having it be a little farther away at the bottom.
It has a casual and comfortable very lovable grace.
Quite a bouquet of flowers for ME today.
Thanks, pal
dj*

arteitaliana
09-12-2002, 06:18 AM
I like cropped heads as well but this portrait does not have the free masterful flow of your better work. Commissions are difficult.

R

allanom
09-12-2002, 10:00 AM
The technique and luscious palette make for an accomplished result. The adult face is transcendent; the child's face, however, suffers from looking too "adult" -- like a kid in an old master's piece. Maybe that's her personality, but, if she could be made more child-like -- however that could be accomplished? -- the picture would be improved.

jnet11
09-12-2002, 11:08 AM
the kids face reads distorted to me, and the mothers breast perhaps a bit too perfectly half-circular ??? I'm a dunce, though, I freely admit to knowing nothing !

The mother's face is AMAZING!

hofzinser
09-12-2002, 11:30 AM
Giving the child more of a forehead (lowering where the eyes fall) will make it look more child-like.

mame
09-12-2002, 12:26 PM
My left, her right side of hair - too hard-edged. Gives a flat, pasted on look.

Agree re breast. Guess ya gotta have em...think the child's shoulder would "nestle" more into it. Squish it up a bit. Looks like it's made of cement - or she has on one heck of a padded bra.

Also - can't artspeak it, but think the breast would be a bit more more frontal? Would not thrust to the (my) right but more 3 dimensionally? More fully rounded. Perhaps softening the inside of the bra strap and showing just a bit of the middle portion of the bra (the part that connects the two cups? And the ribcage area under the breast contributes to this because it too looks a bit "hard-edged" (see? no artspeaker, I)

"Feeling"? Evocative, loving, immediately brings to the surface those inexplicable, motherness emotions for my own daughter.

Paintonbrush
09-12-2002, 04:58 PM
Mother's face very natural, to me, childs (her right) our left, looks a bit distorted, too chubby. agree about breast...hand on top of head, excellent, as well as all the rest....tis truly a great piece. Did they like? again, your colors are tremendous.