PDA

View Full Version : Blue, yellow,white, no green look

Al talk
12-10-2009, 04:12 PM
I'd like to give the water I've painted in my painting a warmer yellow sunny look. The blues look a bit cold. I like mixing hues together as I paint as it gives the aesthetic cohesiveness I like. If I mix in any yellow with blue it turns green. I've thought about using a very white yellow/opaque paint thinking this might not show green. Then I could touch/shade it a bit here and there but thats not really what I want. Water reflects the sky and I 've not yet seen any green in the sky. I 've watched many sunset and the sky goes from blue to whitish pink,orange, purple but always between the yellow red primary colours. I have however seen many artist with green skies in thier paintings. Suggestions appreciated!! AL

KarinaRose
12-10-2009, 04:46 PM
My only thought is the water itself is going to reflect the sky, whatever color that is. Sometimes it is a warmer blue - towards the purple. Also, sometimes the white sparkles from the sun can be have a slight warm yellow tone.

Charlie's Mum
12-10-2009, 05:39 PM
I think it would help if you posted the work, then we can judge where you are and where you want to get to!:D

Al talk
12-10-2009, 07:40 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2009/181826-jumping.jpg

Al talk
12-10-2009, 08:29 PM
This is a close up of the water.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2009/181826-jumping_close_up.JPG

LavenderFrost
12-11-2009, 11:47 AM
The last lake I painted ended up looking cold. I could be wrong, but I thought the problem came from making it too white, and that making it more blue would have helped, because then it would be reflecting a blue sky, which would make a person think more of a warm day.

Great painting by the way. I thought that was the reference photo until I saw the close up.

Charlie's Mum
12-11-2009, 01:04 PM
Yes, nice painting indeed!

I rather think blues might be better than yellow to warm the water and the painting - sounds strange, but blues can be warm too!
The whole painting looks to be rather cool, so imagine a bright blue sky above the viewer and the swimmers and add some warm blues - ultramarine, violets for darks ........ either, try it on a clear vinyl over the water area, or on the computer, or over a sealing coat of medium so you can quickly remove it if you're not happy.

Al talk
12-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Thanks for your input and compliments on my painting. Based on everyone input I have been mixing paint and have found warmer blue hues, yellowish grey blues that would give the water and sky a warmer look.
Happy painting. Al