PDA

View Full Version : Early Morning In Laos

Chi Chi
09-11-2002, 06:44 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-11-2002/12420_106-0634_IMG.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-11-2002/12420_106-0627_IMG.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Early Morning In Laos
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 11x14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is my 1st painting in landscapes.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I'd like to know what do you think of it?
And be tough with me...since I'm here to learn :-)

Thanks

Wayne Gaudon
09-11-2002, 06:53 PM
I really like the way you painted the hardwood floor .. ah .. just kidding :D

With all the red and red orange happening the blue mountain in the background seems to be too high a value and all the wrong colors. In the very forefront of the boats, I would have left that in the darks as well so that the boats were the dividing line between dark and light. That is only personal opinion so take it with a grain.
Like the water, the boats, the sillouttes, and the first range of mountains.

madster
09-11-2002, 06:53 PM
Although I'm not much of a "warm color" type, I like the color scheme of this work.

The one major flaw is the light source. In early morning, sky tones are not so red. Those are for sunsets, just due to the physics of light refraction. Early Evening in Laos might be a better title.

Also, on the same topic, the sun is way too small for the large reflection on the water, unless the water is very turbulent, which it does not appear to be.

For your first landscape, I'd say you did pretty well!

jerryW
09-11-2002, 07:19 PM
you did very well in this.
simple elements some repeated - basic shapes, some inverted, resonant colors, some challenging.
you have created a thing which stands on it's own regardless of what it represents or what it is called.

Chi Chi
09-11-2002, 07:40 PM
Thank you Wayne and Madster for your suggestions.I really
appreciated them.
Yes,now I look back at the pictures. I see the warm clolors clashed with the blue.
My husband agreed with Madster about the title...since I made a mess with sooo much red & orange.I'll edit my title ;-))

Chi Chi
09-11-2002, 08:41 PM
Thanks JerryW.I guess we posted the same time so I didn't see your post.
THIS IS A GREAT ART SCHOOL EVER,WC! I'm so graceful to be a part of this

Chi