PDA

View Full Version : Detail from Waterhouse's "The Orange Pickers"

mindofmirrors
12-07-2009, 04:13 PM
The entire painting was far too large and complex to even think about reproducing the whole thing. I did, however, take a swipe at a detail from this delightful Waterhouse gem... the little girl seated prominently in the focal point of the painting.

I had fun doing this; I've really been working at loosening up my painting... drawing boldly with the brush, and working relatively quickly. I'm quite please with the results of this exercise. What d'yall think?

Oil on canvas, 12x16"

mindofmirrors
12-08-2009, 07:36 PM
I'm getting the impression that this particular channel is not very active, or perhaps folks are just indifferent. Few seem to have time or inclination to comment. I could try my luck in a different, more engaged part of Wet canvas.

Netty
12-09-2009, 05:10 AM
This is really lovely Rick, some beautiful complimentary colours makes this really pleasant on the eyes :)
Why don't you try posting this and your others over at the portrait forums, we are a great bunch over there and always welcoming newbies :)

neenashenoy
12-10-2009, 08:53 AM
Rick, I like the lively colours, the oranges and the girl's skirt. Her face needs to look more like that of a small girl though - you could try reducing the size of the head, as also of the mouth and eyes, soften it up some.

donn_granros
12-14-2009, 12:19 AM
I think you may have to consider glazing techniques if you are trying to emulate Waterhouse. That seems to be a component of his painting style (my perception at least)

pameladallaire
01-02-2010, 06:13 PM
A very nice painting indeed.

Pam