PDA

View Full Version : museum & mat board question

ladypainter
12-06-2009, 09:41 AM
Sorry for more questions:(

I looked up in the library for museum board as I didnt know what it was and found it is actually mat board. I have noticed on here that some people use this mat board to work on.

There is also illustration board and just wondering if anyone here uses that and if so what is the difference between the two.

Thanks

ourcassidy!
12-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Ladypainter, sorry I am not able to answer your question, but have often wondered myself so thanks for posting this! Pam

home4art
12-06-2009, 01:09 PM
I haven't been by here in ages but just popped in and saw your question. I have used Rising Museum board for cp work and I love it. It is archival and has a lovely subtle texture that will accept tons of layers. I found it most reasonable priced from Daniel Smith. Here's an example of a cp piece I did recently on Rising Museum board. You can see a bit of its texture in this drawing.
http://nemcoskyart.blogspot.com/2009/11/zippity-do-da.html
Hope this helps!
Ann

objectivistartist
12-06-2009, 04:27 PM
I understand it'll work well in both pen/ink and colored pencil, right? sounds like just what is needed if am varying from Stonehenge paper and acid free foamcore...

home4art
12-06-2009, 05:37 PM
Robert, I haven't tried pen and ink on it. I think the texture might be a bit much for ink though. I also like drawing on Strathmore 500 bristol. It, too has just a slight texture, takes lots of layers of cp, but is a harder surface than Rising Museum board, if that makes sense!
Ann

objectivistartist
12-06-2009, 08:53 PM
was wondering because used to use illustration board until turned to acid free foamcore... but illo board is not acid free in its interior, even if the outside paper is...

birdlady
12-08-2009, 11:12 AM
I have used the illustration board and stonehedge and now used the museum mount board for many of my drawings as it will take much of the mediums that I work in. I love using my WC pencils on it and it still lets me put my CP's over it. I had problems with the illustration board letting me do that. With the MM board being archival I cant see using much else since I get great results with it when using the wet and dry mediums.

Laurie

Mrs. Leadhead
12-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Hello-
Museum board is acid-free throughout the entire board, including a pure, archival core. It has been marketed as a museum-quality backing board for behind the art. I've used Rising Museum Board (100% cotton) on many of my colored pencil pieces for about 15 years and enjoy its texture and the way the colors layer (and layer, and layer!) on it.
Mat board, designed to be positioned as a border on top of the art, may or may not be totally archival throughout the board.
Illustration board is available in a totally pure, archival form, with no acidic core. Strathmore just launched (in spring, 2009) Strathmore Illustration Board for Wet Media. It works beautifully as a surface for watercolor pencils and watercolor crayons (no buckling!), as well as wax-based or oil-based pencils. Its texture is much like hot-press paper and is excellent for rendering fine, crisp detail, too.
One more note: if you're looking for museum board in a catalog or store, it will probably be found among the framing supplies, not the drawing papers. It may take a little searching to find it, but it's worth it!
Kristy

birdlady
12-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Strathmore just launched (in spring, 2009) Strathmore Illustration Board for Wet Media. It works beautifully as a surface for watercolor pencils

WOW I didnt realize that and am going to ask my art store if they carry it or can order it. I am once again, behind the times on knowing. Thank you Kristy for telling of this. :)

I lead such a secluded life :lol:

Laurie

Mrs. Leadhead
12-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Hi, Laurie-
I found out about Strathmore Illustration Board for Wet Media by accident! I was scheduled to do a watercolor pencil demonstration at an art supply store, and the manager asked me if I'd mind doing the demo on this new surface which the store had just started carrying. It's a really nice surface and doesn't buckle or get distorted when a wash is applied.
As an extra bonus, every person who attended the demo received a free, generous-sized sheet of this illustration board- pretty good!
Some years ago I did a piece on regular illustration board which was a combination of watercolor and colored pencil. The board warped-aaarghhh! The photographer placed some heavy books on it for a few days and flattened it, thank goodness. That would not be a problem with this new illustration board.
If your art store already carries Strathmore products, it's possible that this board is available or could be ordered.
Kristy

islandboy
12-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Great info, thanks.