PDA

View Full Version : Napali Trail Vista / x-posted in Landscapes

rkprod
12-05-2009, 02:51 PM
Just finished this painting taken from a photo we took last year hiking the Napali Trail on the island of Kauai.

18" x 24" oil on canvas.

Comments appreciated.

Ron

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2009/159067-Napali-Trail-Vista.jpg

LIgirl
12-05-2009, 07:07 PM
Wonderful painting, Ron. Maybe some day I'll get to Hawaii and see all these wonderful places.

Betty

baudolino
12-05-2009, 07:34 PM
That's just the place I'd like to be now! Another beauty, Ron! It's wonderful the way you carried the soft warm sky colors all the way to the foreground. Excellent!!!

Alex

Marty C
12-05-2009, 08:55 PM
Terrific work, Ron. That is some amazing coastline, truly spectacular!

Gillette
12-05-2009, 09:08 PM
Ron,
a very beautiful painting, and you've really created the atmosphere of Hawaii.
Jane.

JTMB
12-05-2009, 11:52 PM
Great painting in your unique style! That hike, which I took many years ago (my wife is from Hawaii) is amazing, and the views are gorgeous - you've captured that in your painting.

randalljazz
12-06-2009, 04:17 AM
beautiful job bringing the sky colors down into the sea!

mooz49
12-06-2009, 10:38 AM
Beautiful work Ron ....it has a wonderful warm and gentle look to it ...

skappy
12-06-2009, 12:55 PM
Terrific work very interesting prespective
Robert

rkprod
12-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Betty - Thank you very much for the kind comments. Hope you can get over there some time. The beauty is very inspiring to us painters

Alex - Thank you for taking the time to comment. I was concerned that the photo might not show the sky colors in the vegetation, but it worked out okay.

Marty - Your comments are always highy regraded as is your work. Thanks!

Jane - On my web site, my artist's statement says that it is my intent to create either strong memories or at least a yearn to visit Hawaii. I'm glad I as able to do that.

JTMB - The hike is actually much more difficult for me as I get older, but I still do it about once every other year. Each time I do, I see new things and have a renewed feeling about the Napali Coast.

Randall - Thanks for the commments. The pinks played in exactly as I had hoped.

Anne - You are always so sweet in your comments. I imagine you in Ireland, always walking around with a smile on your face. I think you must be a very happy person!

Robert - Thanks for taking the time to comment. Getting the perspective correct was a real challenge. I hope I succeeded.

ccoppola82
12-10-2009, 12:23 AM
nice painting. I love that hike. I did it a few times and its awesome. How far do you usually go?

robblevinsart
12-11-2009, 05:01 AM
Hi Ron. I'm new to WC and I must say what great company I have. Your painting here is perfect! The lighting, and the distance and depth it has with the mountains. I love it! May I ask what color mixture you used on the ocean?

jickmagger
12-11-2009, 05:02 AM
Once again a fantastic piece, Ron!! :thumbsup:

udo :wave:

Harry Seymour
12-11-2009, 07:36 AM
Beautifully done.

Harry

steveb
12-12-2009, 04:20 PM
One big WOW!!

Skyenorth
12-13-2009, 07:12 PM
I love that pink sky! It looks a wonderful place to be. Beautiful painting there Ron.

viking57
12-14-2009, 03:06 AM
Hi Ron,
This painting is just as good the 3rd time around! Hawaii has some gorgeous scenery. I've never been there but have seen it a lot and I'm sure it looks even more impressive in person. I saw an Imax movie on Hawaii back in the 80's at Exposition Park in LA and it really seemed like we were right there. The opening scene was taken from a helicopter flying low over the vegetation and then suddenly out over a cliff like you have painted here...I think everyone in that theatre felt they were going to drop to their death in the water far below.
Really nice work Ron.
Ron

rkprod
12-23-2009, 10:26 AM
This was a new perspective of the sea, for me, and I am glad that everyone found it appealing.

ccoppola82 - Thank you! Glad you've had the opportunity to take this hike. We usually only go to the first beach. I have been as far as the waterfall once, but that was a few years back and it is just too much for me now. It's hard to portray the actual beauty, but I try and give it my impression. I would say that there is much more green than in the painting, but it needed more contrast to provoke interest.

Rob - Thank you for your kind words. I have seen some of your work here and I must compliment you. Nice work! The ocean was made up of both Turguoise Blue and Turquoise Green with a bit of Cobalt Blue mixed in here and there. The shadows are toned down, Indigo Blue and the lighter green, shallow areas are lightened Cadmium Green. The pink reflections are Rose Madder lightened with white to a very pale pink.

Udo - Your comments are always appreciated. Glad you liked it.

Harry - Thank you very much!

SteveB - Thanks for the 'Wow". It made me smile.

Sky - Glad you found it appealing. The pinks really came out as I had hoped. I wasn't sure if they would show up in the photo, but they did.

Ron - I wish you could get over to Kauai and of course, take your painting supplies. You would just be amazed at the scenery and inspiration that is there. Thanks for taking to the time to look and comment, again.