PDA

View Full Version : English phenom

MJGresko
12-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Did anyone see the news story about this little 6 year old English kid who sold one of his paintings for $28,000? When they asked him what he was going to do with the money he said put some in savings and use $850 to buy 700 pastels! His paintings were good, no doubt, especially since he's only 6, but I don't know if I can get behind $28,000. You hear about these different little phenoms now and then over the years but does anyone know as they become adults are they ever successful in whatever they were known for as a kid?

Scottyarthur
12-05-2009, 01:49 PM
I did see it on the Today Show this morning, he paints with water colors and is 7 years old. He sold several of his painting for $28,000. and did a very quick painting in watercolor on the show, which when asked how much he would sell it for he said $1,000. His name is Keiron Williamson from Holt England. They compared him to a young Picasso.

Ruthie57
12-05-2009, 01:59 PM
Yes, he was exhibited where I was hoping to hang some of my work. Can't match up to that though!
I can't help but think this'll put him under a lot of pressure. What if, in 2 years time, he'd rather be a footballer??

Deborah Secor
12-05-2009, 02:20 PM
He likely will, Ruth. I hope his mum and dad have sense enough to let him be a kid! Looks like he has fun painting and does it very well, so I hope he paints and enjoys all the other normal pursuits of a kid, too.

By the time he's 20 he won't stick out in the crowd so much, but if he keeps going he'll have a lot of experience under his belt that others won't have had. I interviewed a man who was somewhat like this. He was teaching art to kids when he was in middle school, and he's an amazingly well trained artist who knows and loves his craft at age 30-ish.

I always disregard selling prices on things of this sort because it's the market, not the art, that drives that. (And I hope no one even whispers 'Picasso' near this kid, aside from showing him the very early work he did. He could draw like an angel! After that, not so much... IMHO.)

Deborah

Paula Ford
12-05-2009, 02:22 PM
WOW! How wonderful! I just watched a short video on Utube about him... such a tallented young lad.

Potoma
12-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Great quote from his website:

Now the dust has settled: Kieron was not put off much by the media attention and the remainder of the summer of 2009 saw a massive development in his work. Kieron became confident with oil paints and pastels and we are excited about showing these in Novemberís exhibition.

Yippee, pastels! Wish I could see his current exhibit.

Colorix
12-05-2009, 06:46 PM
I've read about this kid before, and he's been taught by an art teacher, who discovered his drawings. Think she was a friend of the family. The kid soaks up what he learns. A little Mozart, in a way. Mozart was taught from a very early age.

Deb, good old Pablo went from fad to fad, as he had to keep up the novelty. I just quote Degas, who said about cubism: "It looks even more difficult than painting". ;-)

Charlie

Deborah Secor
12-05-2009, 08:50 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: Charlie!! I love that quote!

Deborah