PDA

View Full Version : Lighthouse Landscape for C and C please

arl
12-05-2009, 10:35 AM
This painting is on 8 by 10 inch canvas. It is based on 2 images in the RIL; thanks to mitch1420. All comments would be greatly appreciated. Also do you think the painting is balanced? Is the brown with green shape in the front unified? I was thinking of adding more green drybrush to this shape. Thanks for any advice.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2009/114108-lighthouse_landscape0001.jpg

Li'l Brown
12-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Hi Arlene! What a pretty scene. I really like the way you've done the shadows on the lighthouse and pulled the purple into the sky too. The brown earth in the forefront could maybe do with more variation in values... right now it's kind of solid- although I can see where there is a lighter area right around the lighthouse (could be that they are there and just don't show up in the photo, too). Maybe just a bit more lights and darks to give some suggestion of dips and bumps in the earth, and then a little highlighting on the green shapes to make them pop a bit more. The extra contrast will give the whole scene more life, IMO.

Li'l Brown
12-05-2009, 11:40 AM
p.s where are you in Ontario?

OkeeKat
12-05-2009, 09:06 PM
Great painting Arlene!
agree with Jesslyn about the tones i nthe foreground, Lighthouse is great!
I dont know what the ref looked like but the top of it kinda looks unfinished, sorry.

arl
12-06-2009, 05:49 AM
Thanks for your help. Jesslyn, I live in Toronto.

clementine
12-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Hi Arlene!
I very like the colors and light on the lighthouse!IMO you could definite an horizon line by changing a bit more the colors between the sky and sea,a bit of white at the bottom of the rock to suggest broking waves + the previous comments and you'll have a winner!
clem

mrs willow
12-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Hello Arlene :wave: I think you have already received some excellent advice and I agree with all the suggestions. The red earth foreground with the contrasting green bushes is just a bit too strong and overwhelms the softer colours of the lighthouse and the sea/sky.
Cheers Sandy

arl
12-07-2009, 05:42 AM
Thank you all for your help.

noodle1
12-07-2009, 09:44 AM
Nicely done!! I do agree with the other comments and I agree also just those few tweaks and you got a great one!

Elaine

Artchrispy
12-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Hey Arlene. To me it looks balanced because of the values. The light value of the lighthouse registers with the lighter water and the sky.