PDA

View Full Version : Van Gogh soft pastels?

SunFace
12-05-2009, 02:18 AM
Has anyone try that brand. Are they any good?

They are reasonable priced.

ElsieH
12-05-2009, 09:26 AM
:wave:

I bought a few sticks at an art store from open stock and gave them a try.
They are not bad and certainly a reasonable price. But, it seemed like they were on the hard side and had a few gritty/grains etc.

Others who have used them more may have info on colorfastness etc.

DAK723
12-05-2009, 10:57 AM
At least according Dick Blick's website, the Van Gogh pastels are considered hard pastels. I've never tried them myself.

As you probably know - but just for informational purposes - many folks like to use a combination of soft and hard pastels - often using the harder ones for the initial layer or to sketch - and then applying the softer ones over the top, so having a set of hard pastels might be beneficial. They can also be used to blend layers of pastel that are already applied.

The downside of this brand - I believe - is that they only come in sets, so you can not buy individual pastels from open stock.

Here's a link to Blick:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/van-gogh-hard-pastels/

Don

Colorix
12-05-2009, 10:58 AM
They are a student brand, but some student brands may be quite nice and lightfast. Check with Talens, the manufacturer. Their professional brand, Rembrandt, have grit/grain in them, too. I've learned to live with that, using up my nearly full set of Rembs I got before I started to use pastels seriously. You just have to take a fingernail to the gritty bit and scratch it out of the stick, as the grit scratches the papers otherwise, and leaves lines...

Are you talking about the carré semi soft, or the carré hard ones? They are both only available in assorted sets. While the Rembrandt round version is available in open stock.

Take a closer look at the Richeson pastels, they are *very* good "bang for the buck". If you're closer to the UK, Jackson's have them under the name Manet.

Charlie

robertsloan2
12-05-2009, 11:25 AM
Richeson's hard pastel sticks. I finally settled on those but Blick ran out of them and they're not coming in again till December 31st, not the big set anyway.

I'm so looking forward to that set though. The colors looked so beautiful in the ads and the texture sounds like it'll be just right to fill out my hard ones. It was those or Polychromos but the price on the Richesons is much better.

SunFace
12-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Thanks so much everyone!

i just saw them on ebay, and they had a good deal.

Potoma
12-05-2009, 05:37 PM
I have the set of 48 and have almost used them up. I love their texture and I am very picky about waxiness and grittiness. I use them as the hard first coat, but I often use use them when I'm doing something like a watercolor underpainting. I use them on sanded papers without a problem.

I think they deserve more respect. They're great. I prefer them to NuPastel or Rembrandts. I have a set of Cretacolor coming and that will be the test to me.