PDA

View Full Version : Winsor & Newton Artistsí Acrylics? Tri-Art Liquid Acrylics?

cd3000
12-02-2009, 04:37 PM
I would like to hear some feedback on these two acrylics. I've seen many post here on people that like the new formulation of W&N's Artists' Acrylic but I haven't seen any detailed reviews. Does the new formulation live up to the claims and expectations?

On a side note I've been curious about Tri-Art's liquid acrylic. I've used their thick body and have really liked it but haven't tried the liquid version. Anyone here use this and have they compared it to Golden's liquid or Liquitex liquid acrylics?

noodle1
12-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Welcome! I personally can't offer you any information about either, sorry I don't use them. I have tried the W&N acrylic inks only and they're wonderful. But I'm sure you'll get some feed back from others who have.

Elaine

Kathrin G.
12-03-2009, 03:15 AM
I did a review on W&N Artist Acrylics back in May. I've been only painting since March in this stage tho. You will find it if you follow this LINK (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7873955&postcount=91)
I have used the Artist Acylics exclusively since and absolutely love them.
Hope it helps a little.

Einion
12-03-2009, 07:34 AM
I would like to hear some feedback on these two acrylics. I've seen many post here on people that like the new formulation of W&N's Artists' Acrylic but I haven't seen any detailed reviews.
Just to check, have you read the main thread on them in the forum?

On the Tri-Art liquid acrylics, offhand I don't recall any mentions of them here. But I can't imagine they're not good, given the quality of their tube colours; worth at least trying a couple to see what you think yourself.

Einion

cd3000
12-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Kathrin G. wrote:
I found the paints flowing off the brush onto my paper way easier with the new paints then my normal ones in the same consistency.
Kathrin,

Thanks for jumping in here. You talked about the paint flowing off the brush easier. Is that compared to W&N's Finity, Galleria or another paint brand? Do you have other brands and if so how would you compare the "flow" off the brush? I've used W&N Finity before and it has a slight stickiness coming off the brush but overall I really like the paint. Improved open time would be meaningful as well. It sounds like the new formulation is improved in this area.

Einion,

When money becomes available buying a test set will be the plan.

Kathrin G.
12-03-2009, 01:57 PM
I had only used Galleria and System 3 before giving the Artist Acrylics a try, so that's what I compared it to :)
I found both other paints to be slightly sticky. Hard to get on the paper/board/canvas and hard to clean up.
I haven't had to dump a single brush since changing to the new acrylics, but I ruined countless brushes before.

Open time is improved and makes life a lot easier :thumbsup:

AndyMcC
12-03-2009, 03:12 PM
I've been using the Artists acrylics for a few months too and I love them, the main benefit I've found in using them is that there is no colour shift(or if there is it's so slight I can't tell). Using a Tupperware tub as a palette I've had the paint stay workable for more than a week, if I mist the paint once a day it stays usable even longer. The texture of the paint is beautiful, it is thick enough to be able to use with a palette knife but fluid enough to flow from the brush. I also use the W&N retarder gel with the paints if I need to blend anything as it maintains the paints texture.

I've tried a few different paints(recently the new Cryla range) but the W&N paints are the ones I return to, I can't recommend them enough :D

cd3000
12-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Thanks Kathrin G. & AndyMcC,

It sounds like a purchase is in my future. Andy, you said you sometimes use W&N retarder gel. I looked around on Blick but did not see this product. Do you have a link?

AndyMcC
12-03-2009, 06:44 PM
http://www.artsupplies.co.uk/item-acrylic-retarder.htm
I get all my painting supplies from this store, they have great service and the prices are good(they often have discounts)
Hope this helps :)