PDA

View Full Version : Chris Saper Monochrome Oil Portrait video

JamieWG
12-02-2009, 09:33 AM
I just watched this video and thought it was excellent. She gives great tips and a nice start-to-finish presentation of her method of doing a black and white portrait from a live model.

Tomorrow I have a three hour open portrait studio session to attend, and I can't wait to test drive her monochrome approach!

Jamie

JamieWG
12-03-2009, 07:04 PM
This is what I did in Portrait Open Studio today. Instead of Chris' Portland Grey Medium, I used Gamblin Torrit Grey, along with Ivory Black and Titanium White. For medium, I used a bit of Weber Res-n-gel.

There's never enough time with a model, and I'm pretty rusty; portraiture is only winter fare for me, and this is my second of the season. I had about two hours of actual posing time to work with. I tried to really think about what Chris said regarding placement of the head on the canvas in the beginning, and that was extremely helpful. My previous portraits never felt like the head ended up in the best spot, but I'm pleased with this placement. Much of what she said in the video helped my process a lot, such as drawing with straight lines rather than curves.

I'm going to watch the video again, while the rough spots in the process are still fresh in my mind, and see what she explained that might help me through those issues in the future.

20x16", Monochrome Sketch of Troy in Oils
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2009/13766-091203_Troy_in_Monochrome_20x16_b_500v.jpg

Jamie

jenniferlepore
01-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Thanks for sharing your work, Jamie.
Glad to hear that the Chris Saper video (http://www.artistsnetwork.com/video_preview.aspx?id=13783) was a help, nice timing! I think your placement of the head does work well, and I love how you were able to capture the reflected light on the face and neck.

Jophiel
01-20-2010, 06:43 AM
would like to hear from artists who have purchased the monochrome oil painting video..tell me what you think?

Jophiel