PDA

View Full Version : Chinese lanterns in winter

Li'l Brown
12-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Hi everyone,
This is a 10x20 piece I've been working on. The reference is from the RIL (thanks to Jocelynsart). I am stuck on the top third. I don't like the snowdrift effect that I was trying (and failing) to achieve. But now what am I gonna do? lol I was considering just continuing that blue all the way to the top, as though it were sky... The orangey-red and blue do go well together. The pic is a little dull and yellowed on the lower left due to incandescent lighting at night. (And yes I do know I'm missing a stem on the middle lantern). All comments are most welcome :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Dec-2009/52726-Chinese_lantern_WIP2.jpg

OkeeKat
12-01-2009, 08:44 PM
Beautiful!!
Love the red flowers against the white/blue of the snow!
especially the snow on the one!
great shading/shadows!

loobyteacher
12-01-2009, 09:54 PM
not what I was expecting! A little gem!

noodle1
12-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Oh Jesslyn I love this!! You did a great job on the chinese lanterns.
I'd round it up a bit, using your reference and your colors maybe something like this, just a suggestion tho, play off the shadows to create a soft curve of the snow your way! and deepen the underneath shadow to make it look like it's hanging over. Hope ya don't mind little quickie in Painter cause I babble..haha

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Dec-2009/139027-chinese-lanterns.jpg

You go girl!! and my address is....oh you already know..haha

Hugs,
Elaine

gaykir
12-01-2009, 11:45 PM
Wonderful!!

arl
12-02-2009, 05:44 AM
Terrific. I like the contrast with the red.

cadub
12-02-2009, 09:52 AM
You need a bit of a lip at the interface where the snowbank turns down - that's all - I've been around snow too long!! Great job!

LavenderFrost
12-02-2009, 11:52 AM
It's looking really good. It's probably just a case of needing to spend a little more time on it than you expected. You'll get it!

Andun
12-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Oh Wow Jesslyn!!! That is a very cool(no pun) and interesting painting! Love it to bits!

RPut
12-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Lovely!

Li'l Brown
12-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Hi folks, and thanks so much for looking in.

Kathie, thanks for the positive feedback. The shadows in the snow were tricky, and more than once I was afraid I had ruined it, but in the end I am happy with the bottom 2/3s.

Hi Colleen! Thanks for dropping in :) I'm glad you like it.

Elaine, you're saving my life with that little mock-up. You would think, having practically lived in snowbanks as a kid in winter, that I would have a better sense of how to paint one :P Thank you so much for doing that!

Hi Gayle, and thanks!

Hi Arlene, thanks for your comment and for looking in. :)

Hi Cadub! I've been around a lot of snow too, but man I just could not figure out how to create that "drift" look. But in about a month (or less) we'll have all the snowdrifts we could want- and then some! I'll have to study them better this winter. Thank you for popping in!

Hey Michelle! You're right, this is taking longer than I thought. Sometimes I forget how many layers of paint it takes to create something that looks like anything. I HOPE I can get it!

Tony, how are you doing? Nice to see you as always and I'm sure glad this appeals to you :) I wasn't too sure about it myself but... onward!

Hope to have an update on the weekend- gotta get this thing done.

Li'l Brown
12-02-2009, 08:35 PM
Oops, we cross-posted, Ruthie. Thanks very much!