PDA

View Full Version : Cafe michelangelo- December 09 -welcome!

artbyjune
12-01-2009, 03:04 PM
HAPPY HOLIDAY SEASON!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Dec-2009/106623-Santa_scot.jpg

HAS THE MAD SEASONAL RUSH STARTED FOR YOU?

We had our first frost this morning...so a cold start for December.;)

trafford
12-01-2009, 03:58 PM
Hmmm. Is that a Scottish Santa, June? :thumbsup:

Not too cold here, but very gloomy...makes you want to sleep all day. I started to decorate a little bit, but it seems I've run out of hooks for the ornaments. Thought I had a whole packet of them. I have a tiny tree..so not too much work.

Have to make two Hanukkah cards and then a slew of Christmas ones. Thought I might make some quick monoprints. I'll have to think of something new soon, the postage is so expensive.

Am looking forward to the Emile Nold project...lot's of nice bold lines. Sandra should like that.

Can't beleive the year is nearly over. :heart:

brianvds
12-06-2009, 06:21 AM
Well, here I am, back from my fearsome week of night shifts. Or at least, almost back: I still have to work this evening. But I made use of some quiet moments at work to do some drawing, and at last got around to the Flemish Renaissance masters; I uploaded my attempt to that thread, even though it is now well past the closing date.

I also made good progress on a little illustration project that a friend of mine requested me to do: her twelve year-old son wrote a silly poem as a school project, and she now wants to print the thing with illustrations. And once again I got under the impression of just how much more difficult illustration can be than fine art, especially since my knowledge of perspective is almost non-existent, which makes things very difficult when you have to invent pictures from your head.

Fortunately she specifically wanted the illustrations to be rather rough and sketchy looking! I may or may not show them here to the whole world when they're all done... ;-)

azulparsnip
12-06-2009, 01:00 PM
greetings all.

June the bagpipe santa is cute , Is that your work?

Janet - I'm half thru with cutting a lino for christmas cards. Hope to stay up tonight and finish. I like the monoprint idea though it may take longer, each one would be an individual artistic moment .

Brian - oh the daylight at the end of the nightshift tunnel. I know whatcha mean about illustration being more of a challenge. I've begun trying to illustrate some of my husbands poetry and I have to do all kinds of hunting for how to draw stuff and get all the necessary stuff into the picture etc. I find myself avoiding the task. uggggh......I was surprised about the condescending attitude some have toward illustration. I had no idea it was viewed at less that art by many........ art snobs

artbyjune
12-07-2009, 08:21 AM
Hi. Sorry I cannot take credit for the Scottish Santa. He looks kind of cute. He is from a clip art site!

I am looking forward to trying lino cuts in the New Year.

We study illustrators in this forum, so maybe we are not too snobby!!:thumbsup:

brianvds
12-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Brian - oh the daylight at the end of the nightshift tunnel. I know whatcha mean about illustration being more of a challenge. I've begun trying to illustrate some of my husbands poetry and I have to do all kinds of hunting for how to draw stuff and get all the necessary stuff into the picture etc. I find myself avoiding the task. uggggh......I was surprised about the condescending attitude some have toward illustration. I had no idea it was viewed at less that art by many........ art snobs

Well, as June pointed out, we here are at least not art snobs. I have a feeling many of the snobs who look down their noses at illustration actually just can't do it themselves. It's always just so much easier and more convenient to declare an entire genre of art dead than to face one's own lack of ability! ;-)

trafford
12-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Here is a link to my favorite illustrator from many years ago, Al Parker. His compositions were terrific.

http://giam.typepad.com/100_years_of_illustration/al_parker_19061985/

azulparsnip
12-14-2009, 05:35 PM
Yes, Al Parker is wonderful. What compositions!!!

azulparsnip
12-16-2009, 08:05 AM
a little thing I got done monday night - egg tempera in moleskin

artbyjune
12-16-2009, 10:48 AM
I love those teapots!!

brianvds
12-17-2009, 07:04 AM
Nice teapots. Egg tempera, huh? Do you get them in tubes, or do you make them using pigment and eggs? What kind of pigment? I have long thought of trying out tempera, but as is usual with me, never got around to it. I'm also planning to write a book on procrastination, but I haven't gotten around to it yet... ;-)

azulparsnip
12-18-2009, 05:17 PM
June - thanks

Brian - Thanks. I love egg tempera. Here is a link to a post that June did May '09 that has a great recipe....see post #10

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561168&highlight=tempera

artbyjune
12-19-2009, 06:03 AM
I recently bought a Sennelier ready-mixed tempera medium in a tube. You mix it with dry pigment.

(You could use soft pastel shavings if you don't have dry pigment. Maybe you can also mix it with watercolour?).

I haven't tried it out yet, but it should be very handy if you are in a hurry or don't have an egg!!

brianvds
12-19-2009, 06:58 AM
June - thanks

Brian - Thanks. I love egg tempera. Here is a link to a post that June did May '09 that has a great recipe....see post #10

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561168&highlight=tempera

Ah, nice. I see that thread is about Marianne Stokes - I happen to love her work. I think she deserves to be far more famous than she is.

artbyjune
12-24-2009, 07:12 AM
Merry Christmas everyone. I hope Santa brings you lots of presents...especially art materials!!

brianvds
12-24-2009, 09:36 PM
Merry Christmas everyone. I hope Santa brings you lots of presents...especially art materials!!

If I catch Santa, I'll force him to pose for a portrait. That way he'll be late with his deliveries, so if any of you only get your presents days after Christmas, I apologize... ;-)

trafford
12-25-2009, 09:34 AM
That's OK Brian....art comes first, presents later...unless they are gift certificates to art supply stores.

HAVE A MERRY!

brianvds
12-25-2009, 12:07 PM
That's OK Brian....art comes first, presents later...unless they are gift certificates to art supply stores.

Which I happened to get from a friend this year. Santa beware! ;-)

HAVE A MERRY!

And the same to you and everyone else. As always I am kind of relieved when this crazy festive season is over, but let me not be a complete stick in the mud. ;-)

gakinme
12-25-2009, 02:18 PM
Merry Christmas to all. I finally get a day off after working four swing shift in a row. It's so tiring to arrive home at midnight.

Then I have to work again tomorrow. But at least I could relax today. When I have down time at work, I've been drawing lovebirds mostly...not much imaginative work or refined work these days.

trafford
12-25-2009, 07:41 PM
Merry Christmas Sandra...try to get some rest :heart:

brianvds
12-26-2009, 01:11 AM
Sort of vaguely on the topic of Christmas, during an unrelated Google image search I just stumbled on the work of an artist with the exotic name of Svitozar Nenyuk, who does the most delightful paintings in a sort of early Renaissance style, but that are nevertheless clearly modern. Here are some examples:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Dec-2009/142294-svitozar-nenyuk_holy-family_003.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Dec-2009/142294-svitozar-nenyuk_saint-george-.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Dec-2009/142294-svitozar-nenyuk-holy-trinity-004.jpg

I just love this stuff! ;-)

azulparsnip
12-28-2009, 02:11 PM
Christmas greetings to all. We just start to celebrate after the 25th. All the food is around and all the heavy shopping detail is done......Eleven of us were in this little single wide trailer. Most overnight even!!!!!! Everyone is back at their towns, Rose left with an older sibling and Joel is home from college for a few days. We went out for dinner last night with the two that live in town here.

Sandra - oh, my.....will this retched pace continue or were you just covering for people off on vacation?

Janet - Merry Christmas. How did the ham turn out? Low sodium ham is somewhat of an oxymoron . Just take an extra spoon of cod liver oil.:)

June - Merry Christmas to you and the pooch. What did you get that furry friend for Christmas?

Brian, Did you catch a moment with the BIG guy in red? What type of transportation was he using? These paintings remind me of the icons we did earlier this year.

I got a nice deep fryer from the kids. French Fries tonight!!!!!!!

Anybody get any art supplies? I got a bonus part of which I'm using for some inktense pencils. I loaned a Madaline book from library and downloaded the photo paint alongs onto our photoframe for painting purposes.............

How's about new years resolutions? I had three lined up last week but can only remember 2 of them today:eek:

artbyjune
12-28-2009, 03:48 PM
Brian, I like that artwork too!! First time I've seen this artists work.

I got some art supplies ...even although I did not leave any hints!!!

My sister sent pencils and calligraphy pens. My Scottish friend sent Ops. Now I have no excuse...

Hope you had a great time feasting at Christmas. I ate too many choccies.

trafford
12-28-2009, 07:54 PM
Lovely icons, Brian.

I found a ham with 750 sodium. Not too bad as most were around 1250 :eek: Making a pea soup with the bone and extra meat.
I got an old movie (dvd) an early Mike Leigh called "High Hopes" and finally a digital camera, so I can do my own stuff. If I photo something beautiful I'll post it. I'm a terrible photographer.

Probably will make my usual unkept resolutions this year. One I hope I can keep is to draw something every day. Also some excercise wouldn't hurt.

Good things for 2010...:heart:

brianvds
12-29-2009, 06:11 AM
Brian, Did you catch a moment with the BIG guy in red?

He's on strike. He says he ain't doing it no more in this summer heat, and next year he'll be wearing his birthday suit, and if we don't like that we can go get or presents elsewhere.

What type of transportation was he using?

A mobile freezer, but it still wasn't cold enough for him. And the whole thing pulled along by these local oxen; apparently his reindeer had died of the heat shortly after they crossed the Limpopo river...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Dec-2009/142294-afrikaner_oxen.jpg

These paintings remind me of the icons we did earlier this year.

There is indeed something spiritual and icon-like about them, but they are still clearly contemporary, which just gos to show how one can still find something new to say with very old vocabulary.