PDA

View Full Version : The Chatter Box, December 2009

Dana Design
12-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Welcome to the Chatter Box!

Hello all! Introduce yourself, share your art and chat about anything that comes to mind whether art related or not. Catch up on what everyone is doing and let's have some fun!

Be sure to check out this month's challenge also!

ladypainter
12-24-2009, 07:52 AM
Hi all .:wave: Just want to wish everyone a very Merry Xmas.:)

Susan H
12-24-2009, 12:21 PM
Hi everybody! I know I haven't been here (sorry) and wonder where everybody's been ... just wanted to drop in and wish everyone a Merry Christmas and happy holiday season. Merry Christmas to you, ladypainter! Susan

mawdwyn
12-25-2009, 11:11 PM
Merry Christmas and a Happy Happy New Year!:clap:

Susan H
12-31-2009, 03:30 AM
Happy New Year everybody! Is it rude of me to ask, but where has everybody been? I was very busy before Christmas and not contributing much (sorry) but now I'm confused because no one is posting. Will try to post a painting if I can get the uploaded to cooperate. We need this forum! Susan

ladypainter
12-31-2009, 09:03 AM
Happy New Year everybody! Is it rude of me to ask, but where has everybody been? I was very busy before Christmas and not contributing much (sorry) but now I'm confused because no one is posting. Will try to post a painting if I can get the uploaded to cooperate. We need this forum! Susan

Back to wish everyone a Happy New Year. My daughter is due for her third baby any day now and i will be taking the other grandkids while she is in hospital. She is having a girl:) Have not been painting lately. Still have to finish my WIP .

I was wondering where everyone is too.This forum is not too busy it seems.I have not been on here all that long.Look forward to seeing your painting Susan:)

Dana Design
01-01-2010, 10:52 AM

Hi, Susan,
The little group that campaigned so vociferously for the WMO subforum were still unhappy and have decamped elsewhere. And most of the others have gone back to the regular Oil Painting forum where there is more information and assistance.

All are welcome to post, ask questions and your inquiries will be attended to without prejudice. Hope to see your there! :wave:

Susan H
01-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the info--I wasn't sure where everybody went. It's a shame not to see anything going on in the forum. My big computer is down so I can't post a painting but I will try to be more active in the forum. I've always thought that we needed this forum. Anyways, Happy New Year to you all--I've been exploring using linen canvas and having a lot of fun with it. WMO on acrylic-primed linen makes a great surface for WMO. Sure is expensive, but I primed some textured broidery linen and am working on abstract type landscape. The linen sure is expensive and I wouldn't recommend it for beginners, but it's a lot of fun. In the meantime I hope we can keep the WMO subforum going ... Susan

ladypainter
01-03-2010, 07:54 AM
Hi, Susan,
The little group that campaigned so vociferously for the WMO subforum were still unhappy and have decamped elsewhere. And most of the others have gone back to the regular Oil Painting forum where there is more information and assistance.

All are welcome to post, ask questions and your inquiries will be attended to without prejudice. Hope to see your there! :wave:

Oh thats where everyone is:) Well as long as nobody gives me a hard time about WMO on the other forum thats ok. I was on there a very long time ago with a different user name and it seemed the natives were not friendly regarding this new medium. I was glad to see a separate forum for it.

Dana Design
01-03-2010, 08:23 AM
Elinor, the mods and guides are making certain that everyone is respectful of each other. Not to worry!

Crystal1
01-04-2010, 06:47 PM
I am new here and I'm waiting for my Water soluble oils to arrive. I have painted just 3 paintings with regular oil mediums, but my new hubby has asthma. That was a few years ago, so I guess I'm a really new beginner. I hope this site will keep going.

Thanks for your previous help, Susan.

Jerry Kemp
01-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Hi all - Jerry here - anybody got any good tips on how to get truly nice darks in oil painting without using black?
Thanks

Crystal1
01-08-2010, 05:57 PM
Whatever color you are using add the compliment (the color exactly opposite on a color wheel). If you only have a simple color wheel, you may need to experiment with some of your hues. If for instance you are painting something ultramarine blue, the shadows around it would look best if you mixed it with a deep cadmium yellow. If you looked at a simple color wheel it would show blue with orange across from it. Cadmium yellow is sort of a light orange. Good luck.

DebRenee
01-08-2010, 07:57 PM
Hello! I've been mostly reading and not posting. I'm very grateful for all the info wisdom and inspiration on this site.

I've been aiming to finish one small (8 x 10 inches) painting a week for the last couple months. It's been a lot of fun and an excellent discipline for me. Having that arbitrary time period kind of takes the pressure off, or maybe puts the pressure on - but in a good way.

I've done a few acrylics, mostly water mixable oils, and I have some regular oils I may try. I don't have a studio, though, and I'm concerned about safety and smell. The wmos (remind anyone else of wmds?) are working out great. I got the Winsor & Newton set. I may try something else when I burn through these, since I've learned they're student grade, and not fully pigmented. I think it's not recommended to mix the different brands of wmos, right?

Deb

herzeleid
01-15-2010, 12:47 PM
Hello everyone, and happy 2010 :) I am new to Wet Canvas, I have been searching for a helpful, fun, awesome art forum for awhile and I finally found it! Yay :)

I use Winsor & Newton Water Mixable Oils. I'm new to oil painting after using acrylics forever. But I decided it was time for a change when I at last got frustrated with the super fast drying time of acrylics! I still use them for smaller, quick paintings, or for bases, but I got fed up with the workability! I now swear by WMO's and I love them :)

I am a little new to actual PAINTING painting. By that I mean, I have been mostly a drawing/illustration type and digital painter for most of my art-life. But I recently have become more fascinated and drawn into painting. So I guess you could say I'm a beginner again :) Oils are much different than acrylics and it's taking awhile to get used to!

Well enough rambling from me, I look forward to getting to know you all and share some of my work soon!

~Meg

dspinks
01-17-2010, 10:50 PM
I got the Winsor & Newton set. I may try something else when I burn through these, since I've learned they're student grade, and not fully pigmented. I think it's not recommended to mix the different brands of wmos, right?

Hi Deb!

Although Artisans are not artist quality in terms of pigmentation, they do have higher pigmentation than WN Winton (student grade). I've used them for a quite a while and like the results very much.

Another brand I like, but it is very pricey, is Holbein Duo Aqua.

You can mix brands. You can also mix wm mediums between brands, but some may not perform as well as they do with their own brand. I've found this to be mostly handling issues rather than integrity issues. Have fun and experiment.

dspinks
01-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Hi all - Jerry here - anybody got any good tips on how to get truly nice darks in oil painting without using black?

Hi Jerry!

Some combinations I like for dark neutrals are:

Diox purple and pthalo green (a really nice teal blue/grey)

Ultramarine blue & raw umber or burnt umber.

Aliz crimson and pthalo green.

Dawn Melka
01-25-2010, 12:04 PM
I have not been here at wc for awhile we moved and well just been busy. Also I found I was trying to do to many things at once you know how that goes. But one thing that happened when we moved was I found myself really struggling with painting and relized it was in part the climate change, my acrylics we just drying to fast. I then discovered wmo and I have to say I am having a blast with them. I have read a little here and I am amazed that people would not be kind about someone using this medium but you know what thatís there problem.

I have just posted two separate wip on my blog if anyone is interested in viewing them. One is a cat thatís almost done and the other a horse, it started out in acrylic and I switched to wmo its far from done but thatís why itís a wip.

Thanks for being here guys . I am glad this site is here and look forward to participating.