PDA

View Full Version : Different Strokes: Acrylic Forum Project, December

noodle1
12-01-2009, 08:28 AM
Welcome to the December Edition of Different Strokes

If you would like to host a Different Strokes, please see the Schedule thread here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=573539) - it is a sticky near the top of the main forum page.

Please read the guidelines below carefully.

GUIDELINES:
On the first of each month a reference photo (or photos) will be posted in a thread entitled "Different Strokes".

Each member interested in taking the challenge will create a painting using the chosen reference(s) (whole or cropped) and on the 20th of each month participants will upload their interpretation of the reference for discussion within this thread, finished or not.

PLEASE DO NOT UPLOAD WORK TO THE THREAD BEFORE THE 20TH OF THE MONTH.**

At the end of the month the thread /discussion will be closed
and a new challenge will begin.

Artwork can be any size on any surface but MUST be acrylic.
Monthly references will be selected by the guides and moderators (but please note the additional comment above).

**Please note, the single 'reveal' date is chosen so that we do not influence each other with our individual interpretations ...... that's the whole point of it being called 'Different Strokes'!

THIS MONTH'S REFERENCE PLUS ONE

Wagon Wheels in Snow....by pamelalbd
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=77465

Male Cardinal...by bswilson1147
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=8949

Don't forget, you may crop, enlarge, in this instance "combine", develop these references in any way you feel is creative! :D

Enjoy your painting, discuss without visuals in this thread if you wish, but no peeping until the 20th! :wink2:

Happy Painting!

Hugs,
Elaine

Charlie's Mum
12-01-2009, 08:44 AM
Thanks Elaine - love the coldness of the wheels :eek:

Will be back to see who else signs up :D

noodle1
12-01-2009, 09:11 AM
Hi Maureen,

Thanks, I liked that among twenty others..LOL and I threw in the bird because if EP comes in she can't say I didn't add some "color"..LOL it's a long standing joke between us. See you later and others too I hope..:D

Hugs,
Elaine

ArtsyMom
12-01-2009, 09:40 AM
Hi Elaine, These are nice choices for this month. Thinking of the Cardinal to do. Lil

creationsings
12-01-2009, 09:45 AM
These are lovely! I hope to be able to join in this month. I have a vision for the composition...but it's really going to get me out of my comfort zone. I don't know if I can handle that on top of everything else going on for the holidays. :eek: :lol: I'm going to give it a shot, though.

artastic
12-01-2009, 09:50 AM
this month I will have time! and I have been wanting to paint a cardinal for a while , so I am in!!

PattiLou
12-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Ok, I keep saying every month that I'm going to take the challenge and somehow I never get around to it. I might need some prompting but I will try.:D

LavenderFrost
12-01-2009, 10:58 AM
I hope I can find time after all my Christmas stuff is done.

noodle1
12-01-2009, 11:08 AM
So happy to see you Lil, Erica, Bonnie, Michelle and Patti!
Will chocolate prompt you Patti, or anyone else, I'll keep you well supplied..haha

The only unfortunate thing with the cardinal is that is the only "size" available but he was the only more clear photo of the bird itself. I'm going to play a bit and see if I can't combine the stark snow with him somewhere in there, holly too. What I liked about the wheels was one is wood the other metal and each stands the weathering differently and the snow, know that hasn't been offered so thought was a good opportunity to play in it...LOL

It is a busy month but I do so hope you can fit in some painting of one. :)

Hugs,
Elaine

Ozone
12-01-2009, 12:35 PM
It has been 2 years, and time I returned to the scene of the crime. I have a sprig of mistletoe and a canvas to paint. Hi Michelle :wave:

Where is my eggnog?

Oz:)

noodle1
12-01-2009, 12:58 PM
Oz great to have you here! Eggnog well I'll just rustle some up for ya..LOL

Hugs,
Elaine

*dee*
12-01-2009, 01:01 PM
I'm not a big fan of snow...'cause the stuff is cold! :lol:

But I do love :heart: the cardinal...and the holly! Maybe my stupid frogs need to be officially put on the back burner. :rolleyes:

Oz, you can have the eggnog....I'll have the rum!! :lol:

Linee
12-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Love the references, but I'm going to have to pass. :( Time is ticking and this baby will be here soon. I have this thing against starting something I might not be able to finish promptly....

Have fun!!

nurciuoli
12-01-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm in! What I wind up doing on this I don't know yet, but the brain is workin' on it! ;)

Vivien Maloney
12-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Like both photo references but especially the Cardinal. Will try to get painting if time permits. (I always make time for Art!)

Kurlie
12-01-2009, 02:19 PM
:wave: Hi all. I think I will try and do a piece for this challenge. I haven't done anything with acrylics in ages, will have to find them first! to those who know my addiction to WDE this challenge will be part of my withdrawal therapy. I can do just one!:evil:

Ozone
12-01-2009, 02:39 PM
Dee, I will sneak some rum in for ya. :music:

Linee, you have 5 days to spare. Would be a shame to waste 5 days. Ummm. :D

susme48
12-01-2009, 02:50 PM
Hoping to find the time to do this!! Neat pics Elaine! (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-char067.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)pssssst....teacher....teacher.....ummmmm http://www.pic4ever.com/images/wow.gifI think you might need to look at the one pic better....both wheels are metal. But don't worry I wont tell anyone!:D)

noodle1
12-01-2009, 06:54 PM
:lol: oh Sue you could be right but here take a look, think the one is just rimmed in metal or was..haha..and the other all metal, what say ye all...LOL

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Dec-2009/139027-wood-or-metal.jpg

Linda I've been thinking about you...One masterpiece at a time. Don't blame you one bit.

Happy to have you give it a go Kurlie, Viv, Nancie, Dee...Yay

Hugs,
Elaine

oicclouds
12-01-2009, 09:04 PM
I am gonna try. It has been over a year since I joined in on a DS project.

~Vicki

OkeeKat
12-01-2009, 09:10 PM
OHHH Elaine, would love to try one of these.. will see how the next 3 commisisons get done before christmas, after this cow painting, fortunately one is small and will be quick!

noodle1
12-01-2009, 09:17 PM
Vicki that's great, not that you haven't done one in a while but that you'll give it a try..:D

If you can Kathie terrific but I know you have a lot going on girl.

Hugs,
Elaine

eyepaint
12-01-2009, 10:29 PM
I threw in the bird because if EP comes in she can't say I didn't add some "color"..LOL it's a long standing joke between us.

Haha! :) :) :)

Charlie's Mum
12-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Elaine - EP will find colour in anything - you could even get a yellow cardinal from her ... who knows? :lol:

Linda - thinking about you and the impending arrival - hugs that all goes well (and you can have lovely sweet goodies afterwards!!!)

Nice to see some 'Strays' are returning to the fold ;);)

Elaine - I was wondering if PMing the cardinal photographer could result in a bigger/better res. image - might be worth a try! :D

noodle1
12-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Hi Maureen,

Thanks for the suggestion I didn't even think of that..:(
I'll send one now.

Hugs,
Elaine

LavenderFrost
12-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Nice to see you Oz. I was thinking about the 'Christmas party' yesterday. :lol: I hope this means you will be doing some painting with us.

Ozone
12-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Hi Michelle :wave:

You betcha, and just when everyone thought it was safe to come out and play. I'm going for the wheels, how about you?

:music: This is the craziest party that could ever be... Don't turn on the lights' cause I don't wanna see :music:

Foxyheart2002
12-02-2009, 06:12 PM
I'm going for the Cardinal......about half done.

Wow! The last one I did was the glass and christmas bulbs from 1 year ago! How time flies.

noodle1
12-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Hi F.Sue...wow half done! You're good, I'm trying to combine the two, I may just have to forget that..haha Glad you're with us!

Hugs,
Elaine

Foxyheart2002
12-02-2009, 10:49 PM
Lolol, yeah it's just a quickie one......just to keep me from doing my 'real' stuff.:wink2:

LavenderFrost
12-03-2009, 02:45 PM
I like the wheels. I just hope I have time after I'm done the gifts I'm working on.

shunter
12-04-2009, 12:10 AM
OK I'll try the cardinal for a couple of Makers Mark on the rocks :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hey Oz ... Go "three Dog Night"!!

noodle1
12-04-2009, 08:18 AM
I like the wheels too Michelle...now to just get myself focused...haha Trying to kill two birds with one stone...:eek: in a sense...LOL Hope you can cutie.

shunter.....That's a deal...LOL Nice to have you joining in.

Okay Oz:heart: turn up the tunes we need some painting music to get us all movin and a groovin'..:music: the wheels on the bus go round, round, round:music: that may not do it...LOL LO and then there's always :music: Tweedley deedly dee, tweedly, deedly dee........He rocks in the tree-tops all day long Hoppin' and a-boppin' and a-singin' his song:music: :D

Okay I'm going now..:wink2:

Hugs,
Elaine

oicclouds
12-04-2009, 01:34 PM
I am working on mine. We are in the ugly stage right now. LOL!

Ozone
12-04-2009, 02:24 PM
Hi ~Vicki :wave:
Hi Steve :wave:
Hi Elaine :heart:

Just for old time WC memories and one of the best parties ever. Yah-ha :music:

SeFii0frqMY&feature=fvw

For the Cardinal painters, OK, a Robin then :lol:

wmBmD3s-R9s

For the Wheel painters

M_HuOVtHxdI

oicclouds
12-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Hi Ozone! Been a long time! :wave:

oicclouds
12-04-2009, 03:19 PM
btw........can someone tell me what kind of tree is in the wheels pic? I can't tell squat on my end. Comes up to dark!

eyepaint
12-04-2009, 03:55 PM
I've started!

I think the trees are evergreen/pine?

noodle1
12-04-2009, 09:40 PM
I haven't...LOL but I will tomorrow.

Thanks Oz :heart: I'll be cranking up the tunes tomorrow and getting in the groove..haha

Hi Vicki, Yes, I think they're pines. The thin needled ones....just add more snow..LOL If you think posting the photo here would help you I will, I can lighten it up in photo shop sorry it's so dark for you. Whatever you need to see it better, just let me know, I will try to provide it. :)

Okay see you all tomorrow.

Hugs,
Elaine

Raymo
12-04-2009, 09:44 PM
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Love/wink-kiss-034.gif

susme48
12-05-2009, 01:27 AM
Loving the music....need to play alot of it!!

I finished the bird the other night...did one of those 3 hour, one sittings!! It is proudly displayed at my show...gonna tackle the wheels next ...maybe I can get it done and sell it too!!

oicclouds
12-05-2009, 05:33 AM
I haven't...LOL but I will tomorrow.

Thanks Oz :heart: I'll be cranking up the tunes tomorrow and getting in the groove..haha

Hi Vicki, Yes, I think they're pines. The thin needled ones....just add more snow..LOL If you think posting the photo here would help you I will, I can lighten it up in photo shop sorry it's so dark for you. Whatever you need to see it better, just let me know, I will try to provide it. :)

Okay see you all tomorrow.

Hugs,
Elaine

LOL! Well........I am trying but not sure a better pic will help. LOL! I know what type you are talking about. Just gonna do the best I can! :o

LavenderFrost
12-05-2009, 12:03 PM
The needles look short for a pine. I think it's spruce.

eyepaint
12-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Now my painting is in the ugly stage!

Ozone
12-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Lotís of good stuff here, listen and take what you want...

For Elaine :heart:
Bobby Darin Help Me Make it Through The Night
G1zZgOjO_y8

For Susan :thumbsup:
Simon and Garfunkel Hazy Shade of Winter

wSd4QJBEMvk

nurciuoli
12-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Hey Oz.....

Love the music :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thanks! :thumbsup:

Big wheel keeps on turning, Proud Mary keeps on burning
And we're rollin', rollin' :music:
I'll start painting as soon as I stop dancing! - Nan :D

noodle1
12-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Hey Oz :heart: thanks for the tune uh do you have anything that says help me focus through the day. I'm on my second go round with da "wheels"...LOL

EP ugly stage, naw with you, never.

Nan love your style girl! LOL

I actually started one and got halfway through it and "hated it"..haha
So now I'm just starting on another, I seem to be painting but my brain has
flown to Never Never Land...:D

Hugs all round, see ya later.
Elaine

Ozone
12-05-2009, 09:52 PM
Hi Elaine :heart: Iíll work on that for ya.

Hi Nan :wave: So Glad We Made It or Gimme Some Lovin Spencer Davis

Watch for me in the movie. LOL.

add2SHneuoY

loobyteacher
12-06-2009, 01:26 AM
Im up for the challenge, we will see if I get it done on time!

noodle1
12-06-2009, 02:18 PM
Yay Colleen...I'm wondering the same thing about me...LOL

Hugs,
Elaine

eyepaint
12-06-2009, 03:28 PM
Still in the ugly stage.....

Charlie's Mum
12-06-2009, 03:51 PM
Mine's beautiful - ghosts in a snowstorm ... yeh!!!!! :evil:

noodle1
12-07-2009, 11:09 AM
LOL Maureen Huh????

Well I'm plodding along, trudging through the snow...LOL Ugly stage, hmm what's it called just before it gets to even that stage oh wait I know..a Stand Still..lol

Hugs,
Elaine

Charlie's Mum
12-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Lol Elaine - my way of saying the canvas is still white and blank!!!! ;) :lol:
The ideas are whirling round inside the head though! :D

noodle1
12-07-2009, 01:41 PM
Dah not too bright am I Maureen....LOL Now that would have been an idea, your reference for this DS is a blank canvas..ghosts in the snow, we'd all be done already...roflol. Okay so maybe not such a good idea.

Okay back to the "stand still" portion on mine...haha

Hugs all round,
Elaine

*dee*
12-07-2009, 02:27 PM
:lol:

I've got a good start on the background! :smug: Its got a "winter shimmer", but not ghosts on the snow! :D I'm trying something new (for me) on this one.

Its a wonderful diversion from my stupid (and stalled) frogs! :clap:

noodle1
12-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Hi Everyone, Hi Dee winter shimmer oooh I like it already..lol I'm tryin' something new too, having it done on time..:D

Just checking in hmm seems everyone hard at work guess I should be too..LOL
Later then.

Hugs all round,
Elaine

oicclouds
12-08-2009, 10:49 AM
Mine is very, very sad. I am trying to learn how to loosen up and become more painterly............and it --- ain't workin' --!!!!!!!!!! I think I will be starting over. ......sigh........

Linee
12-09-2009, 11:52 AM
I'm feeling withdrawal not doing this. I may just have to try to fit it in...unless baby comes first. I'm going a bit stir-crazy here! :eek: :)

andartarius
12-09-2009, 11:59 AM
can i try this too!? lol

creationsings
12-09-2009, 12:19 PM
I'm trying hard not to be jealous at everyone who seems to have had time to start on this already. :) I'm ready to get back to painting!! Plus, I love these references!

Alas, the painting will have to come sometime after Sunday. This week is full of nightly rehearsals for our upcoming Christmas musical this weekend. We are doing 5 shows in 3 days! :eek:

Charlie's Mum
12-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Welcome andartarius! :D ..... have you an easier name to say? :D

Erica - all the best with the show :thumbsup: .... we still have another 11 days of course .........
..and BTW - my ghosts are still lost in the snowstorm ;)

andartarius
12-09-2009, 01:33 PM
can i put on a sketch if my goal wasnt a finished painting but more of a study?

noodle1
12-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Hi everyone,

Break time...who picked out these photos anyway....ooops me :eek: :lol:

Maureen does this help....:D http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2009/139027-arrow-towards-challenge.jpg :smug:

Hi Linda..ahhhh tell ya what start if ya want, guaranteed the little one will make an appearance once you do..lol but in the meantime the withdrawal will end...:heart:

HI and Welcome andartarius jump right in glad to have you with us.
Maureen can tell if a pencil sketch will due..LOL I say yes to everything.

Hi Erica wishing you success with the choral show!

Oh Vicki I'm sure it's not all that, loose isn't as easy as people say it is..that's my excuse anyway cause I stink at it.

Okay had my bit of fun now back to work, this is going very, very slowly, know Maureen's ghosts are just going to come up behind me and scare the "dickens" out of me....LOL

Hugs all round,
Elaine

Charlie's Mum
12-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Lol Elaine - now they'll find their way ;) ;)

Vincent - a sketch is fine as long as it's a painted one ... has to have acrylics on it ;)

Linda - I vote for you painting ... the little one may need to know you have attentions elsewhere!!! .... then he/she will want you to his/herself ;)

Vikki - long brushes - add a 6' cane to the handle .... stand a long way from the easel ... bet you loosen up like that!:lol: :lol:

eyepaint
12-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Or paint with your non-dominant hand! That could loosen you, too :)

OR paint with long handles with your non-dominant hand ... and the canvas in the next room ... LOLOL

nurciuoli
12-09-2009, 11:35 PM
I am also jealous of everyone who has started. This month is just so crazy. And my full time job, well that's a whole nother story. :eek:

Maureen, my canvas is a polar bear eating vanilla ice cream in a snowstorm. In other words, my canvas looks like your canvas! :lol:

-Nan

LavenderFrost
12-10-2009, 10:55 AM
For anyone who feels behind, don't worry! I'm not even close to starting yet. Hubby has a 'commission' for me that I am just getting started.

noodle1
12-10-2009, 01:35 PM
I'd say I'm about 2/3 of the way done and it will be the last 1/3 that'll kill me...LOL Interruptions, interruptions...LOL Love my kids but oh my gosh!!!
I'm going to leave a recording on my phone....Mom has moved ! :D

Okay back to it while it's quiet..haha

Nan - good one...:lol: :lol:

Hugs,
Elaine

oicclouds
12-10-2009, 03:28 PM
My 2nd try is coming along ok. More happy with this one than the first. Forget the painterly look! :thumbsup:

Linee
12-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Maybe I'll go into labor now. I have a sketch down. :)

Linee
12-11-2009, 05:21 PM
O.k. I did it. No baby yet. :wink2: But, it felt good.

Charlie's Mum
12-11-2009, 05:23 PM
Well done Linda!

Hope that baby doesn't get too comfortable ;) ;)

Ozone
12-11-2009, 05:30 PM
Your finished already Linee? Good for you, hope the other project also goes well. Thanks for doing this.

noodle1
12-11-2009, 10:39 PM
Linda yay glad it made you feel good...I hope what Maureen hopes too. :wink2:

Vicki also glad you happy with this one.

I'm getting there...haha

Hugs all round,
Elaine

Charlie's Mum
12-12-2009, 11:56 AM
I've started ..... my painting :smug:

noodle1
12-14-2009, 07:33 PM
Okay Maureen :thumbsup: ..... and I have "Finished" woohoo six days early, this has to go down in the Guinnis Book of records!!!! :D

How's everyone else doing?

Hugs all round,
Elaine

eyepaint
12-14-2009, 08:31 PM
I'm done but might not be near a computer on the 20th so will post shortly after.

PattiLou
12-15-2009, 08:02 PM
Ok teacher, you are going to have to fail me.:o I have not started and I really wanted to join in, think I should have skipped December altogether. Maybe I will do that next year.:evil:

I am hosting next month so I at least have to do something then.... and Christmas, shopping, budget, most meetings, etc. will be over. :clap:

Sorry Elaine!

noodle1
12-15-2009, 08:50 PM
Hi Everyone,

EP Yay!!

Patti oh you don't have to say you're sorry to me at all. I appreciate that you wanted to. Can't do everything ya know...LOL and I don't do as much perhaps as I should and something "always" comes up anyway.. right...LOL So timing is everything. Enjoy the holidays and I will see you here in January, it's my cocoon month...:D

Hugs all round,
Elaine

Charlie's Mum
12-16-2009, 06:27 AM
Finished mine yesterday - now the ghosts are visible ;) ;) ;) .......
...actually, just thought of something else .. may not be totally finished!;)

creationsings
12-16-2009, 08:40 AM
I finally got to start my painting last night. Yay! The musical went well this past weekend, so I finally could relax. I'm mostly done with my underpainting, but it's very much in an ugly stage. :)

Charlie's Mum
12-16-2009, 12:38 PM
Glad all went well Erica - now to paint eh? :)

noodle1
12-17-2009, 08:31 AM
Happy it all went well too Erica now ya can relax a bit with painting, have fun!

Hi Maureen, happy you're finished, you did that in record time, I'm impressed and I haven't even seen it yet...LOL

Now I'm twiddlin' my fingers waiting to see everyone's paintings..LOL two more days only tho. Big hugs to everyone that made time for this, busy time of the year I know for everyone, you are all terrific.

See you in two days..haha :wave:

Hugs,
Elaine

creationsings
12-17-2009, 09:22 AM
Thanks Elaine and Maureen.

Even though I didn't like not getting to start on my painting until this week, I don't know but what I like this method better. Last month, I finished way early an had to endure the anticipation of seeing everyone's finished pieces for a couple of weeks. This month, by the time I finish, it'll be just about time to post the work and see everyone else's. :thumbsup:

LavenderFrost
12-17-2009, 11:29 AM
I think I'll be able to start today. And I think you're right Erica, it's better to finish just in time and not have to wait to post. :D

Charlie's Mum
12-17-2009, 12:03 PM
It's something of a miracle that I finished a few days ago!!! Can't quite believe it ;)
I usually work better under pressure, that's why it's often 'last minute' for me :D

I've since been 'playing' with it in Painter Essentials 4 ;)

creationsings
12-17-2009, 12:13 PM
Maureen...if you like Painter Essentials, you ought to try out the new release of ArtRage Studio Pro. They have a fully functional demo. It's an amazing piece of software. I've been following since it was in the free version 1! It was good in the first version and it's so much better now. It has a great community following, too, that's very friendly and active on their forums.

http://www.artrage.com

Charlie's Mum
12-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks Erica - I've used the free Artrage and Painter 4 is a trial version - not yet convinced, so I'll take a look at the new Artrage :thumbsup:- thanks again!

Ozone
12-17-2009, 02:05 PM
I finished today, do I post it now?

Charlie's Mum
12-17-2009, 04:11 PM
Don't you dare Oz!!!

On second thoughts - no dare :eek: ... just nicely, "Please, not yet!" ;) ;)

Ozone
12-17-2009, 04:51 PM
I will if you will Maureen. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tick tock... tick tock :D

noodle1
12-17-2009, 09:12 PM
Okay kids....LOL

Guessing everyone is anxious to see what the other has done...me too..haha but "no" posting there Oz and no tempting the ladies...roflol. You're so bad..:lol:

Maureen I use Painter software, have since their creation, awesome program but I didn't know they had one called Essentials, there is a trial for the full program as well, I'm now just playing with Painter 11 for 30 days, but they haven't really changed much in it so I might pass this time, will be the first time I haven't bought the upgrade, outrageous what you can do with it. Hope you're having fun getting acquainted with it.

Hugs,
Elaine

nurciuoli
12-17-2009, 11:37 PM
I will be late posting - cause I'm late finishing - cause I'm late starting! December is always a bit crazy for me, but this year I couldn't take any time off from the day job. So everything is getting done, little by little. Stretches things out a bit (and stress's me too). But things are coming together.

Hope to work on this on the weekend (when I take a break from holiday!). Well, except for maybe, baking cookies. :wink2:

Later! - Nan

LavenderFrost
12-18-2009, 10:43 AM
Behave yourself Oz, Santa is watching. :lol:

There are all kinds of paint programs, it's good to check them all out to see what suits you. Besides Painter, Painter Essentials, and Artrage, there is also TwistedBrush and Project Dogwaffle, and you can paint with Photoshop and Photoshop Elements, or even Gimp. There are more programs yet that I'm forgetting. But you know you can visit us in the digital forum to find out more. :D

Ozone
12-18-2009, 01:55 PM
Michelle you are so right and Elaine:heart: too. Santa is watching and he knows...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Dec-2009/116692-ishot-15.jpg

There thatís better.

Ozone
12-18-2009, 04:29 PM
Are you listení :heart:

0gtdOJxskVU&feature

ArtsyPatrice
12-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Mine is done...:) It was a nice retreat from the commission I am trying to complete before Christmas. Kind of like a comic relief to loosen me up - but the painting is going well - just hoping for enough time .... :eek:

Although the clients have made it clear there is no pressure from them as they would rather it was my best work. It is just that they have a critically ill son and it would be so special to have it for them by Christmas. I will post it soon in the WIP acrylic forum...:)

susme48
12-19-2009, 02:25 PM
Oh Elaine, do you really expect that our Oz is not gonna tempt the ladies any chance he gets?? :heart:

Y'all have been having so much fun in here! I am sorry I have missed it.

I ummm noticed that Linda is not here in a couple days???? Has anyone heard??? Has she got a delegate to let us know???

Patrice....hubby is out your way this week...or will be....should be there Sun or Mon. He is going to Clive, and then rushing back for Christmas!

Hoping to get to the wheels today or tomorrow!!

noodle1
12-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Hi Everyone,

Hey Sue glad you popped in, you already have one done so just relax that you deserve. And no don't expect dear Oz to not tempt the ladies but ya know one can try being stern...yeah right LOL LOL

And no no word from Linda, I was wondering too..I hope someone can give us the news.

Artsy yay, and Oz :heart: I'm listenin'..haha Nan um you could post the cookies maybe and then as we're munchin' you could finish the painting..LOL

Okay one more day to post time. LOL any odds on who'll get here first....:D
Nobody likes to be first or is that just me..haha

No pressure guys just enjoy!

See you tomorrow
Hugs,
Elaine

Linee
12-19-2009, 07:25 PM
I'm still here. Feeling like a beached whale. Lol. 5 days until due date. JUST IN CASE I will go ahead and post my little "study". 4x6 water color paper. It's the first time I used wc paper. I think I better gesso it first next time.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2009/101851-12669_1294976898335_1347711618_845966_4333824_n.jpg

noodle1
12-19-2009, 07:48 PM
Hi Linda, oh I'm sure but not very long left now, thanks for posting.
Will be keeping you and baby in thought and prayer and counting the days with you..Christmas the time of great gifts..

You did a fantastic piece, I love the way it came out on the wc paper, kudos to you! :clap:

Hugs,
Elaine

ArtsyPatrice
12-19-2009, 09:01 PM
Linda, I love your palette & what a fun idea to combine the two refs! Very nicely done! :thumbsup:

Best wishes on your 'special delivery'!!! :wave:

Prickles
12-19-2009, 09:14 PM
nice Linda ohhh just in time for a christmas pressy congrates

Is It Time Yet
Is It Time Yet
Is It Time Yet
Is It Time Yet
Is It Time Yet
Is It Time Yet
Is It Time Yet
Is It Time Yet
Is It Time Yet

I have been finish for week now I had it ready as a christmas project for my art group
Is It Time Yet
Is It Time Yet
Is It Time Yet
Is It Time Yet
Is It Time Yet
Is It Time Yet

susme48
12-19-2009, 09:25 PM
Linda I love it....and I remember the 'beached whale' feeling....only too well!!

shunter
12-20-2009, 12:57 AM
It's 11:53 pm but at the speed I type, it will be midnight when I post!!

I started this at 10:30 pm tonight!!! It has been a very busy month.

I think I might add snow flakes when this dries tomorrow especially with the weather we are getting right now!

Steve

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2009/119991-DifStrokeDec.jpg

8 x 10 wrapped canvas.

loobyteacher
12-20-2009, 07:55 AM
Great Job Linda! I love the red against the cool colors. Nice job combining the two photos. I thought about doing that, but didn't do much of anything for this challenge!
Yes Steve, it was and is a very busy month! I like your happy birdie!

I am afraid I had to make a choice between the acrylic challenge and the print forum challenge. I wanted to do both! (yep I am a little insane about art). The print won out. I thought I would share it with you all anyway. I know it isn't this challenge or an acrylic:eek: . Forgive me for not following the rules. I just wanted you all to know that I was busy creating.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2009/117957-s_coat.jpg
I can't wait to see what you all have done!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Perhaps in the few days I have off work after Christmas I may go ahead and complete the challenge!:rolleyes:

ArtsyPatrice
12-20-2009, 08:30 AM
Steve, you are certainly correct in that this is a crazy time to attempt to paint in the midst of this busy season - you have a fun colorful take on the cardinal in so little time! Good job! Coleen, I love your print ~ nice shadow work across the old wagon wheels...

This was a fun one to do - I love doing birds almost as much as people... Thanks for the great reference photos! Acrylic on 16" x 12" stretched canvas.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2009/99739-Cardinal_Holly.jpg

Thanks for checking in with me...Looking forward to seeing how the rest of you interpreted these reference photos! Paint on...

Pat ~ :wave:

Charlie's Mum
12-20-2009, 08:49 AM
Linda - fingers crossed that the wee one is here before Santa .... unless santa and the stork have decided to visit together!! :eek:

Lovely little pic - nice seasonal card I think! Don't need to gesso as long as you accept the first layer of paint will be sucked dry!!:lol:

Steve - lovely bright cardinal - nice loose style too.:)

Lol Colleen - thought I was 'seeing things' and wondering how you managed to make the painting look like a print!!! Nice interpretation though!

Pat -what an absolutely beautiful painting this is! Love the colours -and the style. Wow - and with all you have on your plate too!

Mine's coming up .....

Charlie's Mum
12-20-2009, 08:54 AM
... and here it is ...
Approx 8 x 10" on mountboard (matting).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2009/30494-Wheels_2_wc_dec_09.jpg

... and then I played with a number of digi programmes (thanks to Michelle for suggesting TwistedBrush -trying it at the mo!)
T/Brush to paint the birdy and PSP8 for garland and candles.:)...

Happy Holidays - however you celebrate .....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2009/30494-Wheels_C._card.jpg

noodle1
12-20-2009, 09:13 AM
Good Morning guys,

OOOOH Yay let the parade of splendors begin....

Steve your cardinal is regal....nicely done!

Hey Colleen ya can't get much closer, there are wheels...LOL Very cool!

Pat this is a stunner, so vibrant and soooo pretty, glad you had fun with it..

Maureen I love them, what a great concept with the candles and garland such fun when you can use a computer and a paintbrush it's wonderful Happy Christmas to you, it's a perfect greeting and image.
The first is so beautifully done love that you have it snowing, you caught the wheels perfectly, love it!!!

Well here's mine...what a great way to start the day, I couldn't wait!!
I liked all the branches intermingled with the spokes of the one wheel so that's where I went. I need "crop" lessons...:D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2009/139027-_------this-one-wheels.jpg

Oops forgot, 5x7 Ampersand pastelbord..
See you all later have to go help Larry dig us out, we got tons of snow...lol

Hugs all round,
Elaine

Charlie's Mum
12-20-2009, 09:20 AM
Fantastic wee painting Elaine - love the portrayal of the snow heaped on the wheels ... the hubs are great too!

oicclouds
12-20-2009, 09:46 AM
Holy cow! So far they are all great!!!!!!!! Linee--on my first try I did the same thing, I even put the cardinal in the exact same place!!!!! When I saw the 2 pics, that was the first image that popped in my head. I had to much trouble with the snow and tree so just went back and painted the cardinal pic.

This is my contribution. Just straightforward.......and NOT finished. The cardinal is close, the leaves and branches no where near being done. My hubby had his van stolen from work. It was found this week and is repairable but it has really put our house in an uproar. ..sigh.. Unfortunately, the cops did not find the person who did it. I am behind on everything here, xmas shopping and all. I got done what I could but it will probably be after the 1st of the year b/4 I can get this one completed.

9" x 12" canvas.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2009/120619-DSC04604.JPG

Linee
12-20-2009, 09:57 AM
I love all the renditions. Simply gorgeous! I guess I could have waited to post mine this morning. Oh well. :)

ArtsyPatrice
12-20-2009, 10:09 AM
Maureen, great job with those snowy wheels & such a fun greeting the the computer enhancements! :) Elaine I love your twiggies amongst the spokes - so fun to see what everyone 'sees'! Oicclouds - a very nice strong start on your painting! Amazing we got anything done this past few weeks -

Cheers to all!!! :clap:
Pat

artastic
12-20-2009, 10:10 AM
Good Morning
Linda: congrats in advance, hope delivery time is soon, love your cardinal on WC paper, great brushstokes
Steve nice job on your crdinal
looby- love your print
Colleen great job on the wheels
Pat gorgeous! great light!
Maureen great job on the wheels and fun digi piece, happy christmas to you all as well
Elaine :this is superb, great job on the snow and trees in the BG too
Vicki I like your rendition, mine is "straight up" too

this is 6x6 canvas paper, I did this last week sometime, had a great time with it

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2009/104250-cardinal.JPG

Scattykat
12-20-2009, 10:36 AM
...beautiful work all of you, love that red cardinal. was hoping to get to it this month, but not even started. So enjoyed looking at everyone elses, happy christmas folks...

Ozone
12-20-2009, 11:07 AM
Good morning to everyone and

Merry Christmas

My painting is 9x12 on canvas and I had an accident with my tree... well the tree had an accident. I cut it down. But it looks good in my front room :lol:

Be back !

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2009/116692-Wheels2.jpg

Charlie's Mum
12-20-2009, 12:33 PM
That little bird sure is a winner here! Vikki and Bonnie - very pretty, bright and really quite majestic!

Oz - love it! You let the light in by removing the tree :lol: .... mind you, I'd have thought that little rabbit/hare might just have grazed some snow off the wheel there! Now that is really 'different'!! :D

creationsings
12-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Lovely versions everyone! I can see that several people were on my wavelength with this month's references. I just had to combine them. Here's my attempt: approximately 7x11inches on Strathmore acrylic paper. This was also my first painting using Liquitex heavy body paints. Not too bad at all...I like them. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2009/91381-redbirdAndSnow.jpg

Charlie's Mum
12-20-2009, 12:44 PM
Very nice Erica - like the bottom half particularly!

LavenderFrost
12-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Linda, nice that you got a chance to take part. Good luck with the delivery!

Steve, just in time! Cute cardinal.

Colleen, at least you've been creative. And hey, it has wheels and snow in it too.

Pat, lovely work! Love the colours you put in the background.

Maureen, nice job on the painting. You also used very nice colours. And I see you had fun with it on the computer.

Elaine, that is so well done! Have fun in the snow!

Vicki, in spite of your troubles, you have a very nice painting started, it looks good already. I hope you get a chance to finish it.

Bonnie, nice crop! Well done.

Oz, nice work! You are so creative.

Erica, very nice! I didn't even think of combining the two.

LavenderFrost
12-20-2009, 12:55 PM
I decided to monochromatic with this one, in purple! It's just a quick little 4x6" on posterboard.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2009/104871-WinterWheels399x600.jpg

Ozone
12-20-2009, 12:57 PM
Linee, so glad you made it. Happy Christmas morning for you and the little one.

Steve, good Christmas colors, a last minute person huh, fine job.

Colleen, Too many rules I say, perfect for the season.

Pat, This is very nice. very Artsy too. Looks like a Card.

Maureen, Like your trees, they were so hard to paint, wheels are great, and the ornaments give it sparkle.

Elaine :heart: What great wheels, the trees and twigs are just perfect too.

Vicki, stunning Cardinal.

Bonnie, good crop, good close-up, good painting.

Erica, you did a fine job with it all.

Ozone
12-20-2009, 01:04 PM
Thanks Maureen, it was fun again. :)

Michelle, great as always.

noodle1
12-20-2009, 02:46 PM
Wow go to church and come back to more wonders..works for me..teehee

Oh Oz :heart: that is just great and your sky oh my I am in love with that sky.
Think the bunny is on his way to your house to reclaim his shelter, you are so creative and it's fabulous!

Michelle that's wonderful, I had actually thought of doing just one in sepia, purple like the soft lavender frost..teehee Love it!

Erica wonderful painting, that cardinal just gives it that little pop, I thought of it but failed..haha Yay to your success!

Vicki it's already terrific, gotta say what stood out for me was the beak , highlights are great and I see a heart. Holly looking really good too, you did good girl..lol

Bonnie he just jumps off the page, this is beautiful!

I think you have all dressed up our pages stunningly,with that feel of December, winter and holiday, I'm so thrilled with each, I know tis a very busy time. And there's more to come..

Now to immerse myself in decorating....http://www.curtumevexas.com/images/Smilies/OrnamentStuck3d.gif...well maybe not this much...:D

Later then,
Hugs,
Elaine

Ozone
12-20-2009, 02:47 PM
Thanks Michelle. Well ok then, see ya all on down the road.:wave:

Prickles
12-20-2009, 03:29 PM
wow great work every one so many different pic

my one was done in golden liquids acrylics with a flow release medium on 10X10" canvas that I used yellow orca gesso on
the golden liquids probly better used with something else but I liked the flow release which I have used in my next when I put it with my normal acrylics which work out nice

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2009/131555-window_bird_finish.JPG

ArtsyMom
12-20-2009, 03:35 PM
Wow looking at all the different approaches to the Cardinal is wonderful. Great work everyone. Elaine I had to take a second look at your wheel painting because I thought it was a photo. You really are good at this. So here's mine since I had time today and a winter storm hit us here in the northeast last night. Lil
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2009/88614-IMG_1660.JPG

I made mine a card and was tempted to put in a background but left it as is.

Ozone
12-20-2009, 03:49 PM
I thought it was all over...

Thank you Elaine :heart:

Briar, Nice Redbird and background.

Lil, it looks great without a background.

be back later... maybe more paintings will arrive.

Foxyheart2002
12-20-2009, 05:04 PM
Well, here's mine such as it is. Gave him some snow. 5x7 canvasboard

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2009/22615-cardinalsm.jpg

Foxyheart2002
12-20-2009, 05:42 PM
I have a question.....I thought the pics inthe library were the property of the person uploading it, plus then becomes the property of Wet Canvas after uploading. I showed my online friend in Florida my painting and she said.....
Great job! How long did it take you?
I recognized the pic. It's one used a lot on Xmas addy labels, cards, and stickers from the wildlife orgs. I have some sitting on my kitchen bar right now.

Uh-oh, is this actually a copyrighted photo? Should we have used it? I was thinking of using this as a xmas card next year, but if it is on wildlife stuff already, then I cannot, right? I cannot see it to check to see if it is indeed the same photo, so I just have to take my friend's word for it.

Ozone
12-20-2009, 06:33 PM
Sue, I can comment on your Redbird, you did an excellent job with your painting.

On the other, my opinion would be to use your painting, you at least have plausible deniability, it is in the WC ref library. And that has some value. But my opinion is only a comment. Sorry, it has no value.

If you have every tried to purchase a copyright release, there is usually a term stating you agree to indemnify the seller, if a third party claims ownership. Did we agree to indemnify WetCanvas in our agreement, I donít know???

Foxyheart2002
12-20-2009, 06:59 PM
Lolol, I don't know either! I can only hope that since my friend is not an artist that what she sees as the same is not the same at all. Thank you for your comment on my bird.

ArtsyPatrice
12-20-2009, 07:29 PM
Sue, I especially admire your handling of the points on the holly leaves! Excellent painting! :clap:

noodle1
12-20-2009, 07:59 PM
FSue this is well one of yours and trust me that says a mouthful, always clean, crisp and sooooo well done. Beautiful..showed it to my daughter and she said WOW..

Here's what the agreement states regarding the other.

Agreement: Submission and Use of Content, and User Activity.

13b. With respect to Content you submit to the Reference Image Library, you grant to all other users of the web site a royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive, world-wide, irrevocable right and license to use your uploaded images as reference images in the creation of new artwork in a different medium (such as painting, sculpture, and so on), and to sell the artwork they create pursuant to this license to use the image. You do not grant other users the right to digitally alter the image or to otherwise use or sell the image in its unaltered state. You retain the copyright to the original image.
14. You represent and warrant that you own or otherwise control all the rights to any Content you post or submit to the web site, including but not limited to Content you submit to the Reference Image Library, that use of the information or content you post or submit does not violate the intellectual property rights of any third parties, and that use of the information or content you post or submit will not cause injury to any person or entity. You agree that you will indemnify F+W or its affiliates for all claims resulting from or related to Content you post or submit.
Chances are Sue that set up is a rather generic one, I wondered when I looked at it because there was no background but it was in the RIL and permission was granted to us according to agreement signed by the member.
If there were to be any issues over it I would imagine it would be the responsibility of the one who submitted it, and further use of that image, since the copyright remains with that individual, he or she could do whatever else they wanted with it as well, but could not lay claim to any compensation from the use of it here particularly since it was not in it's original submitted form ...I could be wrong in my understanding but that's how I read it.

Later then,
Hugs all round,
Elaine

Vivien Maloney
12-21-2009, 12:49 AM
Wow great work everyone!
Didn't get time to do this Challenge this month. Only got as far as downloading the photos etc. I know - no excuse!!!!
Prickles; hope your Summer in Auckland is turning out to be better weather than down here in the deep South! We have rain and wind forecast for Xmas Day.

eyepaint
12-21-2009, 01:07 AM
Hi everyone,

Here's my entry. I'll go look at the work right after this.

One is 7x10" and the other is 5x7".

Cheers,

ikan
12-21-2009, 02:10 AM
I have just found this and it looks like it would be fun. I will keep an eye out for a January reference photo and if I can discover how to upload a photo I hope I can join in, if that's ok.

Foxyheart2002
12-21-2009, 03:19 AM
Thanks, Patrice and Elaine! My first bird. And berries. And holly, lolol. First time for everything, I guess. All I could think of when putting the points on the holly was ouch ouch ouch.....

ikan, when it comes time to upload pics there are many people in this forum who can help you. One of the moderators can walk you through it if you haven't been able to figure it out by the time you need the help. I remember one of them having a link on their signature line.

Elaine, thanks for the legalese. It just hit me funny when my friend said that. Like I said, it may just be a cardinal near some berries and to a non-artist it may look the same but it is not in reality.

loobyteacher
12-21-2009, 07:38 AM
love it EP! especially the wheels! nice variation on a theme!
There have been so many great pieces submitted! It is hard to believe there are this many that are wacky enough to be doing a challenge days before Christmas. It is nice to know I fit right in with you all!!
I love to see all the interpretations of the original photos. Sometimes it is hard to "think outside the box" but you all inspire us to see through your eyes. Well done all!

shunter
12-21-2009, 08:36 AM
Great stuff here by everyone. I love the variety with each and every challenge.
Please allow an update. Tweaked the bird, thickened the Holly and added snow from storm Albert!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Dec-2009/119991-FinalCardinal.jpg

Steve

noodle1
12-21-2009, 08:39 AM
EP...cool! I like the bird one but the way you did the wheels..well you are just something else is all..terrific!

Colleen...wacky enough is probably the best descriptive phrase one can use..don't ya just love that mindset..in the middle of absolute chaos we'd be thinking how to crop it to paint it..we're just special...LOL LOL Soo nice to have you a part.

I've been remiss should thank everyone for their comments so thank you.

I will see you all later.

Hugs all round,
Elaine

ArtsyPatrice
12-21-2009, 10:38 AM
EP - Very creative paintings - Nice design in your compositions...

Steve - I love the way you added the snow! Very fun painting!

LavenderFrost
12-21-2009, 12:25 PM
Briar, that looks great! Another creative one.

Lil, nice work, it makes a lovely card.

Sue, I love it, so well done!

Vivien, the month isn't over yet. You too ikan. :wink2: But if you don't have time, we'll see you next month.

EP, very orininal!

Nice update Steve!

susme48
12-21-2009, 04:34 PM
Steve...looks great!!

Colleen....maybe not what we expected...but I like it!!

Pat, I almost liked mine, till I saw yours...wow!!!

Maureen....lovely! Looks like you had fun this time, two ways!!

Elaine...that is so great...you are amazing!

Vicki.....truly a great job...not sure what needs more...but wow!!

Linda....the waiting is always the worst part!! Merry Christmas....be sure and have someone let us know!!

Bonnie....wonderful!!

Merry Christmas, Scatty!!

Oz...this is great!! Love the bunny!!

Erica....I wanted to do something like this too....but time and energy ran out...love it!!

Michelle....I love it!!

Briar....nice job!!

Lillian...nice card....very good ref for that kind of thing, I thought!!

Sue....wow...that is great!! Now I really don't want to put mine up....:lol: !

EP....nice and colorful...am partial to the wheels, but like the bird too!

Ikan....you are very welcome to join in...feel free to do this one if you like....it is "open" till the end of the month!

Steve.....poor baby must be shivering now!!!

Ok...now if I can work up the nerve....her comes mine!

susme48
12-21-2009, 04:35 PM
Well, because of our holiday show, I did this one early, and quick. It is a 5x7 on wrapped canvas, done in one 2-3 hr sitting. I can see things that could be done better....but not sure if I will change it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Dec-2009/51170-chrcardinal1x.jpg

Personally I think we are all marvelous, and perfectly sane. Anyone with a carreer that they love and are dedicated too, will be working right up until the holiday, and some doctors, etc. will work on the holiday. We are just wonderful people....that is all!!

Hope all have a great Christmas!! :heart: An that Linda has a lovely baby of and for this season!! :heart:

ArtsyPatrice
12-21-2009, 06:31 PM
Susan, I love the face of your Cardinal - bright and pretty palette! :)

noodle1
12-21-2009, 07:14 PM
Steve love the "tweaking" looks great!

And Sue my friend your cardinal is fantastic, look at his face he's smilin' too!!

Hi Viv maybe next month but glad ya stopped in.

Hi ikan....how fast do you paint..kidding but Dec. not over yet. But definitely check out January's challenge, I will be looking for you.

Well have to admit this was fun and you are all so wonderful and talented.
It's been a pleasure to be with you on this one.

Linda thinking about you and baby, hope not too much longer.

Hugs,
Elaine

Ozone
12-21-2009, 07:50 PM
Thanks Susan and :music: so glad you made it.:music:

Your Redbird is a charmer.

nurciuoli
12-21-2009, 11:53 PM
Hi! I did manage to paint a cardinal (actually two - Mr & Mrs). But with all the snow over the weekend, well, I had to enhance the scene a bit. This was a quick one, acrylic, done on a 9 x 12 canvas board. Hope you enjoy - Nan

noodle1
12-22-2009, 12:09 AM
Nan that is just too wonderful, I love the enhanced treatment and especially your including Mrs. Cardinal...very well done...

Hugs,
Elaine

Foxyheart2002
12-22-2009, 12:19 AM
Gosh, these are all so beautiful! What great diversity!

nurciuoli
12-22-2009, 12:31 AM
Thanks Elaine. I love these birds. Always have a pair at my bird feeder each winter, and a family of young ones in the shrubs every spring/summer. They are always so bright against the snow. Thanks again, Nan

artastic
12-22-2009, 08:37 AM
michelle, love the monchrome
Briar, great combo
Lil, beautiful little card
Sue: love the touch of snow
EP: great abstraction, is it a taped mask on the birds?
Steve, love the snow too
ikan: looking forward to your painting in Jan.
Sue, I love the birds expression! he looks happy! (is that possible in birdland?)
Nan, your Mr and Mrs is stunning

a wonderful job everyone, each one so unique and personal

Charlie's Mum
12-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Briar - like the birdy! Nice idea too.

Lil - pretty little bird! Good idea for the card:thumbsup:

Sue - very nice painting of bird and holly.

All photos uploaded to the RIL are supposed to be original and the copyright of the poster. This was an early upload to the Library and is small in resolution - the poster may not even be an active member any longer, so we have no way of checking credibility.:rolleyes:
It's always possible of course that she sold/granted use to card companies :)

Also, F&W, our 'owners' have stipulated that breach of copyright is the responsibility of the perpetrator - the site cannot be held responsible for misuse.
All we can say is that photos are there in good faith and you/we have used it in good faith. Any comeback would be on the original misuse I think.

nithya_swamy
12-22-2009, 12:34 PM
I LOVED both these references, and wanted to give it a shot. As usual was sleeping over it and missed the deadline :-D Anyway did not want to miss it, though it was late. Here's my attempt - 5 * 7 inches on canvas.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Dec-2009/12423-Different_Strokes_Cardinal_Resized.jpg

Charlie's Mum
12-22-2009, 01:34 PM
EP - you are so creative in your thinking! Nice wheels!;)

Steve - I love the way this bird in a snowstorm turned out - I almost feel sorry that he hasn't found shelter!:lol:

Susan - wow! What a terrific bird my friend :D His colour is gorgeous - but that eye and beak - wow again!

Nan - love the Mr and Mrs birds - the whole scene is charming. I wondered what the lady of the species was like and meant to lookher up!

Nithya - glad you managed it! Wakey-wakey!!! He's a lovely little bird - nice painting altogether. :thumbsup:

Sue said - Gosh, these are all so beautiful! What great diversity! and she's right ..... super paintings this month everyone!

Ikan - welcome to the forum and please do join us next month.
The new Different Strokes challenge is always tobe found stuck in the top few threads of the main forum page.

If you need help uploading, just PM me and I'll show you the way :D Easy-peasy ;)

Thank you all for the comments on mine and thank you for supporting Elaine's hosting of DS this month.

noodle1
12-22-2009, 03:10 PM
Niytha..hi how have you been?
That's a wonderful painting I'm sooo glad you joined in.

I ditto Maureen, thanks so very much for supporting me in this busy month... as they say..
:music: I get by with a little help from my friends:music: and you are all wonderful friends and artists, it's an honor to paint with you.:heart:

Okay now go make those cookies and go get caught under the mistletoe...LOL
and Linda will be listening for the wonderful news.

Hugs,
Elaine

susme48
12-22-2009, 03:45 PM
Pat, thank you!!

Thanks, Elaine!!

Oz, thank you!! Been with y'all in spirit the whole time....:D

Nancie....Love it!

Nithya....beautifully done!!

Thank you, Maureen!!

Kurlie
12-22-2009, 08:41 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Dec-2009/187427-Birds_Copy_2_OP.jpg Cardinal Pickup..:wink2: ...This is my first post on this forum. I tried to square it up and can't tell what size is here???:confused: The original was about a 8X10 and was a failed watercolor of the references combined. I overpainted it with acrylics. :lol: Maybe next time I will know what I am doing! Let me know if it is too small, I will try and enlarge it.

noodle1
12-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Hi Kurlie, this is beautiful, wonderful concept too and er I know I would like to see it bigger, there is so much to appreciate in it. And welcome nice to have you here.
Don't know what you are using to resize your painting but try maybe 500x500 pixels that's bigger but not too big..the uploader will automatically resize anything beyond 800 pixels to be acceptable tho. Photoshop if you have it will resize for the web and you can choose the pixel size...have I confused you yet..LOL Sorry if I did..thank you for posting I love it...and hope you can get it bigger.

Hugs,
Elaine

LavenderFrost
12-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Susan, nice work! Love the shine on the beak.

Nancie, lovely job, and nice addition of the second bird!

Nithya, great colours and nice combining of the two images.

Kurlie, that looks really pretty! Bigger would be nice, I usually resize to 600 or 800 pixels

Charlie's Mum
12-23-2009, 01:33 PM
It looks really nice Kurlie - through my magnifying glass!!!!!!! :lol:
Love the added Mrs Bird!

Y'know all those resized pieces you do in the WDEs? - same as here!!

Let me know if you want info - we've a thread in AMAE and I'll give you the link.;)

Kurlie
12-23-2009, 02:43 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Dec-2009/187427-Birds_Copy_1.jpg I will try and redo the size. :) I was trying for a small size for a banner line at the bottom, like you have below Cheers, Maureen. I used an online avatar maker to do it and didn't understand how small to make it. :o Happy Holidays......Kurlie

Kurlie
12-23-2009, 02:47 PM
00pS Have a Happy Holiday Season... Have to have at least one character.

Charlie's Mum
12-23-2009, 04:57 PM
Good now! Have Pm'd you with avatar size!

andartarius
12-23-2009, 07:15 PM
OMG i almost forgot about this thread, i did this sketchy painting and forgot about it, better now than later eh! here it is! time taken :aprox 30 minutes in acrylics on small canvas

eyepaint
12-23-2009, 08:02 PM
Hi all, I finally got time to properly view each lovely piece. I hope I included everyone in this note:

Linda - lovely painting. Good luck on your upcoming celebration

Briar - you make me laugh when you're all excited. What a lovely custom addition to your painting

Steve - your bird has a startled look like he wasn't ready to pose for the camera

Colleen - good job. Thank you, and thanks for checking in

ArtsyPatrice - how do you get that lovely softness? Thank you

Maureen - great job. I thought that front wheel had bendy spokes but it's the bush behind it :) Thank you

Elaine - awww this is lovely!! (but where's the colour? hee hee) Thank you

oicclouds - love that group of greens

Bonnie - what a great beak. Thank you Yes this is a taped mask on the bird

Oz - who's that dashing across the front of your painting?

Erica - love that bright red pop in your painting

Michelle - lovely purples in your piece. Thank you

ArtsyMom - what a pretty card

Sue - love the spatter/snow effect

Susan - thank you :) What a striking red bird

Nancie - great pair of birds Looks like it got really snowy

nithya - what a fluffy bird

Cheers,

PattiLou
12-23-2009, 08:19 PM
Wow, wow, wow, I like all the gorgeous renditions this month. The cardinal is a bright spot and looks Christmasy. I would have combined them if I had found some time to do something, but life got in the way. Kinda be glad when all this holiday stuff is over so we can get back to normal. :lol:

And... Elaine I had a picture with wagon wheels that I was thinking about using in the January different strokes. Combing through all my pictures again to pick something else, I have tons of them. :D I should pick something really challenging just to see how you do it but then I wouldn't be able to do it. :p At least I have a little time left to choose something.

Hope you all have a Merry Christmas and stay warm.

ArtsyPatrice
12-23-2009, 09:15 PM
Hello - Hope you are all having a great Wednesday!

EP asked about 'softness' in my cardinal painting & I thought I would share what works for me. The main key word would be 'glazing'! I have always been skeptical of acrylics and felt that oil painting was the ultimate - but had to give up oils for the most part due to allergies to the cleaning solvent fumes. Now I LOVE working with acrylics and feel it has many advantages over oil - mainly clean-up and quick drying time!

However, acrylics can have a hard edge. I have tried to overcome this by using glazing techniques. I love the Golden slow-drying satin Acrylic Glazing Liquid. I also have used the clear glaze from Valspar - Decorative Effects - clear glaze that can be purchase by the gallon at Lowes home improvement store (very economical - but of course comes in a large quantity)

I have attached an enlargement of my painting pointing out where I have used some glazing techniques to make some of the snowflakes appear fuzzy and to soften the edges of some of the leaves. The glaze is also very helpful in the transitional areas between hues & values and in glazing areas to darken, lighten, and to alter the area beneath the glaze. Acrylic mediums and varnishes can also be used for glazing. The Golden Glazing Liquid is probably the best and gives you more 'open' time because it is slow drying...

This is probably WAY too much information, but I am excited with how this method has helped me & wanted to share. I hope this is helpful to someone.

Pat :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Dec-2009/99739-Cardinal_Holly_Soft_techniques.jpg

noodle1
12-23-2009, 09:21 PM
Hi Vincent, this looks great and you almost forgot about it..oh my LOL
You have a good eye and thirty minutes well now I am impressed. Glad you did remember!

EP awww come on now you didn't see the blue...haha one day I'm gonna get ya...and surprise the daylights out of ya...LOL LOL not any time soon tho.:D

Patti I can't wait to see what you have in that stash..teehee something really challenging...lol go ahead..LOL yup you gotta do it too, but then you always come out a win! Happy Christmas sweetie.

Hugs,
Elaine

noodle1
12-23-2009, 09:40 PM
We must have cross posted Pat, this is great for me too, thanks. I'll have to try some mediums, I'm just so use to using just water but you got great effects here I'll agree. Never to old to learn..so they tell me...LOL

Hugs,
Elaine

nurciuoli
12-23-2009, 10:57 PM
First, thank you all for your kind words about my cardinals. It is very much appreciated!

Secondly, Pat, thank you for sharing your glazing information. I will be trying some of that Golden glazing liquid, for sure. And thank you for explaining things - your example is perfect!

And lastly, everyone, have a wonderful holiday season. And a very healthy & happy New Year to all!!

- Nan

Ozone
12-24-2009, 08:44 AM
EP- that is one of the new hi efficiency reindeers that Santa is trying out this Christmas. I think his name is Dasher.

May you and everyone reading have a Merry Christmas.

LavenderFrost
12-24-2009, 01:08 PM
Andartarius, nice job in such a short time!

Be good everyone! Santa comes tonight!

artastic
12-28-2009, 08:30 AM
great combos Nithya and Kurlie!

nice one vincent, glad to see your version, I love the wonderful bold strokes
Pat thanks for the info, just got some golden opens so will have to try them for the next challenge, I usually use my acrylics like WCs, and glaze, have just started using meduims, as I usually use only water.

happy new year everyone

Charlie's Mum
12-28-2009, 09:52 AM
Vincent - glad you 'made' it! lol - nice bold brushstrokes.

EP - my front wheel definitely had a bent stroke ;) ;)

Pat - thank you for adding your method above - it helps so many and you can never give too much info!!!:lol:

noodle1
12-28-2009, 02:12 PM
This really turned out to be so terrific and I do appreciate everyone who came in and gave it a go. Thank you all again for participating. I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas Day and that it continues during " between the weeks" until you come to a New Year. My best wishes for a very prosperous one, first in health and well being, then of course in sales and commissions..haha a good steady diet for all the fantastic artists I've the pleasure of knowing and sharing with.

God bless everyone,
Hugs,
Elaine