PDA

View Full Version : Girl with a pearl earring from Vermeer

michelangelo71
12-01-2009, 04:25 AM
This is my copy from the famous painting. What do you think?
:):wave:

LGHumphrey
12-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Very lovely indeed. I saw the original a couple of months ago and it's paler than what you've done but it doesn't really matter, you've painted a beautiful picture.

michelangelo71
12-01-2009, 03:54 PM
Thank you very much. I realize that it will be different from the original, but the prints often are not good. But I'm glad I painted best I could.
:) :wave:
I hope that my English language is right. :)

neenashenoy
12-02-2009, 03:10 AM
Wow. Very nice. Any version of it that you're happy with is all that matters. But if you want it to be a copy, then it has to be lighter to give that delicate look of the original. Anyone who prefers livelier colours is going to give u the :thumbsup: tho'!! Lovely. Post some more too.

michelangelo71
12-02-2009, 03:46 PM
Wow. Very nice. Any version of it that you're happy with is all that matters. But if you want it to be a copy, then it has to be lighter to give that delicate look of the original. Anyone who prefers livelier colours is going to give u the :thumbsup: tho'!! Lovely. Post some more too.

Hi,hi..I could not resist getting something of mine.
Thanks for your comment.
Now enter another.
:)

MissVermeer
12-02-2009, 11:04 PM
Hi Michelangelo

Great painting!
I just finished a copy myself, here it is.
I am really hooked on this painting and will copy it over and over again until I get the face right.

Cheers, MissVermeer

willpaintforever
12-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Hi all,

This is fun! It is so interesting to see others versions of the painting that has hung on my walls for so many years.

I have attached my version of Vermeers' "Lady with a pearl earring"

I painted this in the mid 1970's when I began my journey with the 'old masters'

Michaelangelo I love your version of the lips.. I spent so many hours on those lips.. In my opinion,the lips and the eyes make this painting what it is.

robertsloan2
12-25-2009, 07:40 AM
This is my copy from the famous painting. What do you think?
:):wave:

I've seen this so many times in so many different ways that it's great to see the variety of different approaches artists have to it. Your strong darks and dramatic intense light are joyous. You captured the feel of it beautifully, followed the details well, do have her classic features accurately.

Great copy, especially your either following or intensifying the lighting Vermeer used. I think you kept it accurate but made it just a little stronger and more contrasty than Vermeer did.

T.Wayne
01-24-2010, 07:05 PM
heres mine, its not quite finised.

coyote
01-25-2010, 04:11 PM
Nice copies all. I did one too. My art guild holds an auction every year and a couple of times the theme was "Tribute to the Masters". My copy of GWAPE sold for $400.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2010/6561-gwapeweb.jpg

sidbledsoe
02-26-2010, 11:20 PM
Nice work, always like seeing artists versions, I think it is one the most copied works and is great practice.
Guess I will add mine to the purl gurl collection:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Feb-2010/112587-rsz_imgp0056.jpg

schilderesje
03-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Hi Michelangelo,

I think you did a great job. Of course you painted the skin a little darker being from Italy. That's perfectly okay. It's fun to see everyone's copies.

I'm attaching mine (in oil).

Toine (I loved the movie!)

darconi
05-24-2010, 02:24 PM
Hi everyone.
Here are some photos from my exhibition in Belgrade - Vermeer reproductions.

darconi
05-24-2010, 02:40 PM
More photos from exhibition... Hope you like these.

deb789
06-17-2010, 10:15 PM
I am a great admirer of Vermeer and I have seen most of his paintings. Your palette is more intense than the original but it is very lovely work!

artland
06-30-2010, 10:25 PM
is there a web page showing a picture and telling all the step to vermeer paining i i am a visual person. great works

alexwbell
09-27-2010, 10:08 PM
It's wonderful to see the different interpretations of this amazing master work. Just thought I'd add mine to the mix.

pjl350
10-04-2010, 03:50 PM
Here's my effort, its my first serious attempt with oil, I'm having a few problems with blending...
Cheers,
Pete

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Oct-2010/216646-gpe-1.jpg

paint-by-numbers
12-08-2010, 04:46 PM
It's really neat to see all these different remakes of gwape. There is so much nuance in this painting that's its difficult to capture its full essence. Some people make the brushwork looser, and others go with sharper strokes. Each adds something that isn't there in the original. But the original maintains its own enigmatic qualities in the subtle expressions and rendering of the facial features which is so hard to accurately replicate.

Who'd have ever thought a person with no eyebrows could show so much expression! There's an ever-so-subtle vulnerability in the girls face that I've yet to see in any of the copies, which is what makes Vermeer a true master unto himself. Even talented modern-day artists struggle to capture it, despite being able to use the original as a reference.

judithdagostino
12-24-2010, 11:12 AM
I think you did a great job! You learn so much by doing these kinds of exercises. I once did a fresco of part of the ceiling in the Vatican and mine came out much brighter in color and intensity but once they cleaned the ceiling, it looked much closer...lol

NancyMP
01-01-2011, 12:30 AM
There's a reference on Art Renewal Center for this work. It's badly crazed, as are many of his works, but this large image (http://www.artrenewal.org/pages/artwork.php?artworkid=3847)should help anyone who wants to make a copy.

buteman
01-11-2011, 04:58 AM
That is delightful, an excellent effort indeed, I could never muster up the gumption to even attempt such a work as much as I would like to.
Beautiful work, well done.

Buteman.

8JANWAY12
01-12-2011, 05:36 PM
hi this picture is stunning all the people who have done there own version are really talented well done from paula

Valentino
01-26-2011, 08:33 AM
The pearl earring is actually a metal one, which has become evident after restoration in the 1990s. I studied Vermeer's methods several years ago and here is my attempt to re-create his (possible) painting process.
Though I wanted to make as close copy to original (actually a reproduction from book) as I could at the moment, I wasn't after too smooth blending, therefore the impasto marks on brows and cheeks. They are, however much less visible on original, which is done on small panel, 8 by 5 inches.

Sunu Tri
03-28-2011, 11:30 PM
Love your work :) and I'm planning to try to reproduce GWAPE too :)

Fritz Wagner
08-04-2013, 12:49 AM
Hello!

I joined Wet Canvas yesterday. I haven't painted for about 20 years but I am getting the urge to start up again. Exactly 30 years ago I attended a two week summer class at the Schuler School in Baltimore, where they taught aspiring artists to imitate the old masters using the Maroger method. When I got home the first thing I did was paint a copy of The Girl with the Pearl Earring. I still have it hanging in my current living room and I attach an image of it made 14 years ago on a scanner, if I recall correctly. Enjoy.

Fritz Wagner
Columbus, OH

Nathalie Chavieve
08-04-2013, 02:52 PM
is there a web page showing a picture and telling all the step to vermeer paining i i am a visual person. great works

Nice thread and very interesting to see different approaches to one painting.
I haven't been interested in Vermeer's oil painting technique yet as I am a very big fond of Leonardo Da Vinci and recently I am working on the copy of his painting "La Belle ferroniere" ( you can visit my thread " La Belle ferronniere " WIP/Challenge " to have a look or participate, if you wish ), and I was looking in Internet for any helpful information on the painting technique of this great master and I found this : this is a web page of profecional copist Andre Fisch . He make copies of renaissance paintings including Leonardo Da Vinci and Vermmer. On the front page you'll find a video where he is showing his process of recreating of Vermeer's"La laitiere" : http://www.stagesdepeinture.fr/

There is also a book "How to paint like the Old Masters" by Joseph Sheppard in which he explains painting techniques of the Old Masters : Durer, Titian, Rubens, Hals, other painters and Vermeer as well.

Fritz Wagner
08-04-2013, 03:35 PM
Hello!

The Vermeer copy above was definitely copied on a scanner. It represents the form accurately but not the color. So I got out a real camera and snapped a picture to show how it looks today and I attach a detail showing the face below.

Fritz Wagner

ural jones
08-05-2013, 09:54 AM
darconi, your work is most delightful and is worthy of a one man show, indeed. I am sure you have received many compliments as you richly deserve.
By the way, my favorite Vemeer is the lady with the red hat. I see you did her also!
Good work.