PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Scumble December 2009

Shirl Parker
12-01-2009, 12:23 AM
Hi everyone! Welcome to the Scumble, our now monthly chat thread where we share the happenings of our everyday lives! I hope you will all chime in and look forward to hearing about them.

I hope you all have a fine, productive month and happy holidays.

robertsloan2
12-01-2009, 03:27 AM
Hi Shirl! Thanks for hosting!

I just checked Blick for why my 120 new Richeson hard pastels weren't here yet, ie when they would ship.

They won't get them till December 31st. Arrgh. I don't get my new pastels till January! Owwww... I was really looking forward to those.

On the other hand I had a great literary November, spending most of every day maniacally typing from sleep to sleep with bathroom breaks and occasional blog posts of word count. I did a little art but mostly just wrote novels and petted the cat. Ari was very good about reminding me when he needed food and water and so was Miss Gemini.

It's also fun typing over a big warm purring cat's fluffy back on cold days. He's a good lap warmer. But not when I'm doing pastels, I don't want multicolor hairballs even if I use nontoxic ones.

saramathewson
12-02-2009, 12:44 AM
Hi Shirl and Robert,

By novels, do you mean to say you wrote more then one in December Robert?
Wow!
I will be making the move to my new studio/sleeping area in two days. i packled up a few things today but will be mainly just carrying things as they are over to the new place as it is just next door to the one i'm in now. In other news, I'm going to be a Grandma. Well step grnadma I guess. Chris' daughter Kasie is pregnant. I would be happier about this is she were not with the guy she is with. He really is not a good guy at all. He won't work and sits around all day playing video games and watching movies. The only kind of work he wants to do is illegal and immoral. Lets just say his family has ties to the Mexican Mafia. Still we will support her as much as we can though it won't be financially at least not too much. She is currently living here and he is living at his mom's as they couldn't afford the apartment they were renting since Kasie only works two days a week. she is looking for more work, but she has been "looking" for more work for months now. I love her to death, but she is still so young(20), and has a lot of growing up to do. Unfortunately she has morning sickness all day although the mornings are the worst. i do feel for her as I was sick with all of my pregnancies especially the first two(I have three kids). Pregnancy was not easy for me. i hope she doesn't have it as bad as I did. We really wanted her to break up with this guy but now this will tie her to him even more. sigh. So, I guess all I can do is pray and leave it in God's hands.

I'm still not well but am feeling a litle bit better. I still have the sinus headaches and have to take sudafed and ibuprofen or tylenol several times a day. But, at least i am not as bad as I was. Chris is sick with a bad cold. He doesn't get sick often and when he does it usually only lasts a day but he is into day three and is worse than ever. He doesn't sleep well when sick so I'm hoping he will get some better sleep tonight. I'm also hoping that I don't catch it so am taking extra vitamin C and zinc plus some other immune boosting supplements. I hope they keep it away.

Robert, sorry to hear that your order has been delayed. I have been thinking about ordering those Richeson semi hard pastels as well. I always have more pastels on my wish list:)

I hope you both are well and that the others that stop by are healthy s well as we come into the Christmas season.

Sara

K Taylor-Green
12-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Sara, it is good to hear that you are improving, even a little bit is better than nothing when your health is bad.
And a grandchild on the way! Even if the circumstances are less than ideal, a new, little life is such a blessing. I hope all goes well with your step daughter.

Robert, good to hear the creative juices are flowing, even though it is not painting. Sometimes a break is a good idea. Heaven knows I have taken enough of them!

I have been painting my little fingers off, finishing my client paintings before Christmas. I am halfway finished with the final one. It is for someone local, so no shipping to have to worry about! :clap:
Since Thanksgiving I have painted 3 Labs, a Beagle, a Rottweiler, and am working on a German Shorthaired Pointer! Whew!

Looks like there will be puppies again at Certainty Labradors. They are due Jan 31st.
And if all goes well, I will be getting a new puppy from the "outside". A client has a gorgeous show bred female she wants to breed to my Harry. I have decided on male pick of the litter in place of my customary stud fee. Both pedigrees are outstanding show pedigrees.
I will know more by the end of December, when the female should cycle.

I guess everyone is pretty busy, getting ready for Christmas. I know I will be once I get this final painting off the easel!

ElsieH
12-07-2009, 11:53 PM
:wave: Hi, there, All!

Guess I better get in here and Scumble before it gets lost in the celebrations of the season!

Shirl: Thanks for being our fearless Scumble Leader!:heart:

Grandma Sara: I wish the circumstances were better, but a sweet new life is wonderful! I hope your daughter gets to feeling better as the time goes on. Step/whole/? Does not matter to Grandmas! Grandbabies are blessed happenings!:heart:

Robert: Sorry about the order! :crying: Hang in there....paint, type, pet the cat, play with you wonderful grandbabies...time will fly by and those pastel sticks will arrive!:)
Aw! The trying to paint and the cat wants to sit on the lap...been there, agree not to do...typing, that I can do...until a little paw decides to get into the typing act! :cat:

Kate: My, my, you are the very productive gal! What lucky clients they are!:thumbsup:

Sara, I hope the studio/sleeping area move goes well! :heart:

My Christmas related stuff is getting done quite well for once! I remember the years when I was teaching and did not get a chance to do ANYTHING until the couple days before.... Being the Christmas Elf is actually fun when you have the whole month of Dec. to it! Just call me "Elfie" :lol:

Our big excitement here includes the fact that our daughter who lives here will be starting grad school, working towards a masters in teaching arts. This is so wonderful! She majored in Archeology in college and then got married, was a Mommy, and archeology just was not quite possible. So, her daughter is a freshman and she will be starting out in grad school! Wonderful!
Also, our younger daughter, her husband and our 2 year-old grandson, Ben, will be arriving Dec. 23rd! Must clean house....want to paint...must clean house.....want to paint...OH, I can hardly wait to see them! :heart:

We're expecting a big snowfall tomorrow...I have a rehearsal tomorrow evening for our community orchestra holiday concert Saturday noon in the rotunda of the Wisconsin State Capital building...Last year we had a huge storm and the concert was snowed out! Oh, PLEASE...not this year, too!
Hmmmm! Better practice that violin! :)

Have a lovely December painting and celebrating!

PeggyB
12-08-2009, 12:18 AM
Sara I'm glad you are feeling somewhat better. It is difficult when an active person can't be active as we once were. Well wishes to you and your family on the upcoming grandchild.

I have been seriously researching golden retriever pedigrees, health certifications, and longevity of pedigree. It has been quite an education! I knew genetically introduced cancers are a problem with this breed, but I didn't realize the NW was one of the primary problem areas in the U.S! However, thanks to some good advise and introduction to extremely knowledgable golden people via our own Carolyn Molder, I have found a local breeder who is ernestly striving to be certain her line isn't one of the problems. One of her dogs had a litter of 12 on Dec 1 - 4 girls and 8 boys. We are driving to see them tomorrow - about 1 1/2 hours from here so that's not too bad. We want a girl because our Sonny is used to females having grown up with my dear Libby. The puppies are half Canadian! LOL They won't be ready for new homes until the end of January, but if we are lucky enough to be offered the purchase of one of the remaining two females it will be worth the wait. The breeder is keeping one of the girls, and another woman in Canada who already owns another dog from the sire of these pups is getting another of the females. These will be very blond goldens - I've always had those that are more red-gold - but the way they are getting better health history is through breeding with dogs that have a strong English pedigree, and they are all more blond. I've decided color is not important. A healthy, long lived dog is important. I know there can't be any hard promise of never having a disease, but at least I'm doing my best to avoid that problem.
I'm working on finishing a floral commission before Christmas. Since flowers aren't normally my forte, this is going a bit more slowly than usual.

Peggy

K Taylor-Green
12-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Peggy, you sound exactly like most of the clients I get for my Lab puppies!
Outside of the fact that you are not wanting a hunting dog that is!
Good for you in doing your research and not just buying from a litter seen in your local classifieds. If more puppy buyers were educated in the genetic health problems of their favorite breed and more people would leave the breeding to reputable breeders who know what they are doing, there would be fewer unwanted dogs in shelters and fewer dumped litters by the side of the road. Especially when you add in spay/neuter for folks who just want a family companion. All of those things would help tremendously. Ahhhhh, in a perfect world.

Shirl Parker
12-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Hello all. Thanks Elsie.

I love puppies. However, I'm a big supporter of the rescue program for all dogs. There are so many that get left behind or neglected. My Pearl was a rescue dog, and Thursday I will celebrate our tenth anniversary together. I was hoping to get a nice dog from the shelter back then, but had difficulty getting there when they were open. On a Monday, I was working for the Justice Department in downtown Washington DC when there was a fire alarm in the building about 2 in the afternoon. We were sitting out on the street waiting to go back in when I saw that there was actually smoke coming from the roof, and knew there was no way we would get back in the building that afternoon. So I jumped on the subway and went to my car and from there to the shelter where I encountered Pearl. I signed up to adopt her, they came and inspected my house and approved me to get her. The rest is history. She's been the greatest loving little person in a fur suit.

K Taylor-Green
12-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Shirl, you are so right. And I applaud all those who take on the pain and rewards of rescue. Bless you. Rescue is a great resource for someone who just wants a family companion.
But one of the main questions I get asked by potential buyers who are wanting a pup to train as a gun dog is, Do the parents hunt? They want that background to be there. Also, some Lab rescues will not allow someone who wants a hunting companion to adopt.
One of the things I have in my puppy contract is a take back clause. If for ANY reason, a buyer can not keep their dog, it comes home to me. I am responsible for every pup that leaves this place, til the day they go to the Bridge. I have only had to do this once in 6 years of breeding.
Of course, I know this clause is only as good as the people who uphold it but it is there and I enforce it to the best of my ability.
While some of our pups go to pet homes, most go to hunt homes or hunt competition homes.
I even see a glimmer on the horizon for a show puppy for me. I would love to have a dual purpose Lab, one with a Championship in the ring as well in hunt tests. A dream, a goal to work toward. If all goes right, my future star will be born in March!

PeggyB
12-08-2009, 09:06 PM
Peggy, you sound exactly like most of the clients I get for my Lab puppies!
Outside of the fact that you are not wanting a hunting dog that is!
Good for you in doing your research and not just buying from a litter seen in your local classifieds. If more puppy buyers were educated in the genetic health problems of their favorite breed and more people would leave the breeding to reputable breeders who know what they are doing, there would be fewer unwanted dogs in shelters and fewer dumped litters by the side of the road. Especially when you add in spay/neuter for folks who just want a family companion. All of those things would help tremendously. Ahhhhh, in a perfect world.

In a perfect world indeed! We just got home from seeing those 12 fabulous 1 week old bundles of fur... It was great meeting the breeder and seeing her other adult dogs. Her focus isn't hunting or obedience, but rather conformation, and those dogs are absolutely beautiful representations of the standard of goldens. The females are all at or under 21.5 inches with short backs and sturdy bones - beautiful dogs! and their temperment! My goodness all are sweet, gentle hearted, "goof balls". These dogs are this breeders "roommates" as she put it. Probably a good thing she is a single woman since there are 8 of them. Not all live in the house at the same time.
I commend anyone who brings a rescue animal into their home. However, as others know sometimes there are specifics of a breed that are what you want or you enjoy competing in activities of a specific breed that requires you have an AKC registered dog to do so. I happen to enjoy obedience and agility trials. However, the agility is too taxing on my back and hip these days so that's something we do just for fun now. Neither my husband nor I are hunters, but his golden was bred from a line that emphasized the hunting instincts of the breed, and Sonny would have made some hunter very happy. I've watched him when he sees game, and every hair on his body is quivering wanting to get it... squirrels are not safe in our yard! ... but his mouth is so soft that he still has his first stuffed toy all in one piece.

Anyway, now I have to fill in a questionaire for the breeder so she it will be easier for her to choose which of the 4 girls will be the right one for our family. At first I was a bit taken aback at the idea of someone else choosing what pup I could have. Then I re-read her reasoning, and found it to be solid. She is the one who observes their personality daily for 8 weeks. She will know which one is being lazy on the day I see it, but otherwise the most active, and vice versa. The questionair is a good one to give her an idea of what I'm looking for, and if I don't want the one she chooses, I'm not obligated to buy it. I'm pretty confident that we will be chosen for one of them given she gave me a big hug when we left and said I can come back any time to visit... :clap: next time I'll remember the camera!

Well now that I've gone on about dogs for so long I suspect Kate is the only one who will really understand, all the rest of you please foregive my rambling. :)

Peggy

K Taylor-Green
12-08-2009, 11:31 PM
Peggy, how wonderful for you to have this to look forward to! They sound like wonderful pups, indeed. And you know you are going to start off with a healthy pup that is very unlikely to have issues with hips, eyes, and probably some other issues that your breeder tests for.
And I also like to help make the final choices for my buyers. I start doing puppy evaluations at 5 weeks old for temperament and hunting talent. Those with lower drive I sell as simply loving pets, but the higher drive ones go to hunting homes and hunt competition homes.
When you are buying a puppy, who but the breeder knows them the best at 4, 6, or 8 weeks of age?
I can't wait to see your new baby girl, as I am sure this breeder knows a loving puppy home when she sees one!

robertsloan2
12-09-2009, 01:47 AM
Peggy, that sounds so great! If she hugged you I'm sure she is definitely already looking at your puppy.

My daughter's getting a Corgi and her puppy is already picked up, not ready for her new home yet but she goes to visit every week and snaps puppy pics of Rhiannon. She's cute and currently tiny.

We went through some things like that with the breeder when she got Zoe, our purebred husky. Zoe isn't show quality but she's a sweet, intelligent, well disciplined dog. Ayla, whom we got from the shelter, is good natured and obedient too including obedient to Zoe, whom she follows around like a worshipful baby sister.

So we have lots of critters. Three dogs once Rhiannon comes home, my daughter's little tortie cat Gemini and my cat Ari. My room is Cat Central, dogs are not allowed in here so if they get tired of playing with the dogs, they have a place to retreat to. Also they get fed in here.

Apparently, cat food is the high-calorie rich junk food for dogs, it's got too much protein and fat for a healthy canine diet. Dogs need their veggies. So Kitten trains the dogs using a few cat kibbles as dog treats and they love them. Once each, the dogs have snuck into my room while I was sleeping to gobble up a bowl of cat food, get caught, get that amazingly repentant doggy guilt face and slink out never to try it again.

So I'm pretty sure Rhiannon will try it once too, wait till I'm asleep, nose the door open, creep in and steal cat food. It's the loud gulping munching that wakes me up and sends the pup scampering when I rumble "Bad girl." and chase her out. Maybe that's the coming-of-age ceremony for dogs, getting caught stealing cat food and never trying it again.

Sara, yep, novels plural. Five of them. I got going and pushed it to the limit every day, did ten or twelve thousand words a day instead of just doing one short novel like most other years. So now most of 2010 will be spent editing that enormous harvest! I'm proud, it was the most I've ever written in a single month like that and they all came out good workable rough drafts.

It's a bit like underpainting when you have the scene blocked in and none of the details refined. Everything needs finishing and some things might need reworking but I can see what the shape of the story is and what its main themes are, on all of them.

Muffin_4377
12-09-2009, 02:21 PM
.....Ayla, whom we got from the shelter, is good natured and obedient too .......

HA ...Ayla is my daughter's name also.....She's also good natured and MOST times obedient....:rolleyes:

Did you name her....or did she come with the name?

robertsloan2
12-09-2009, 02:48 PM
My daughter named her, based on how she behaved at the shelter visit. Ayla's nickname is "World's Most Submissive Dog." She is a total sweetheart and loves affection. She will do just about anything for attention or approval and so we've been training her.

One thing I've seen is that over the most of a year we've had her, Ayla has started gaining some confidence and is a lot healthier. Her coat is shiny, she's got a sunny disposition and she will go nuts if anyone wants to go outdoors and play with her. She and the kids get along so great. Both of the dogs are really good with the kids.

Everyone in the household has read Jean Auel's "Earth's Children" series. Ayla the character had a lot of strength and gumption as well as her sweet subservient side. But Ayla the puppy got the name for looking up to everyone with this pleading orphan-waif sweetness.

I think a year of giving her serious training and affection did wonders for her.

Gemini had that same abandoned-waif neediness when we first got her, now she's still that affectionate but has become everyone's little mom. She took over the house. She gets spoiled. She treats me like her favorite waiter and will be ever so genteel when she stands there and mews for service if the bowls are empty or even near empty.

She likes to have me get up and top them off when she's ready to eat even if they're mostly full, I think it's the combo of food + attention she grooves on. But she's so sweet about it, purring and thanking me that I keep doing it for her and spoiling her.

She has her special foam pad on the end of the bed. It came from my netbook, was good packaging for the electronics and is now a special cat bed. Something about the texture really appealed to her.

PeggyB
12-09-2009, 05:57 PM
Oh how we companion animal people like to spoil our furry friends! they are a bit like having grandchildren. Somehow when the kids were our own, we weren't so permissive, but let them have kids - and oh my somehow we "Grands" tend to forget the rules! Our Sonny dog has almost as many stuffed toys as does our granddaughter who lives here. Libby was never one to want anything other than her ball or a good chew bone (if you have dogs that love to chew, I can recommend a brand known as the Galileo bone. They are almost indistructable, but act as a wonderful "toothbrush". Neither Sonny or Libby ever need/ed doggie dental care.)

Kate, it sounds as though you too have some very lucky dog clients. Yes, the parents of these pups have their OFA hip clearance as well as elbows, eyes and heart clearances (eye and heart clearances are yearly with certified vet specialists). I've also seen the K9 data base history of longevity in both pedigree lines, and they are good too. This breeder is doing all she can do to produce healthy, long lived goldens. I was thrilled to see females that are standard sized (21.5" max) with good bone structure - something that's been allowed to lapse in this breed I believe due to it's popularity and over breeding.

Robert, corgis are one breed my daughter has considerws getting along with her goldens if she had more time to care for a puppy. They are sweet looking, mild tempered dogs and I can see why they have you wrapped around their paws! Of course "everyone" knows Cats Rule, Dogs Drool. . just ask the cat (of which we have 4 in house only)
Peggy

ElsieH
12-10-2009, 12:18 PM
:wave:

Oh, I love the "doggie stories!" Maybe it is art that brings out such goodness in people! You all seem to loving and caring about your pets and about those opportunities to extend love to new pets, purchased, adopted, or rescued.

Our family has been mourning the loss of our two dear rescued greyhounds this year. Our daughter, Kathy, and her family adopted two very sweet greyhounds after they were dismissed from their racing careers. Both lived long and loved lives in Kathy's family and enjoyed being part of a family.

Amber was a female who left her racing career early due to injury. It broke my heart to know that she was only valued for her ability to produce speed! She had the softest, most loving eyes, showed that love to all who visited their home. She seemed able to sense when a visitor wanted "close contact" or when the visitor needed to "admire at a distance" and she suited her approach to their needs. She accepted Joe when he joined the family after his racing career. While Joe may have produced the speed valued at the track, he just did not have much "smarts" for coping with the world! Left for a few hours on his own at home, he always could find paper to shred, toilet tissue to trail all over the house, and other mischief! His simplicity, meant he just loved visitors, any, and all. I loved him for his honesty and directness...but that made problems for some visitors.
While he had the "run of the place" when the family was home, he learned that the best place for him at other times was his "cage". It was a very large pet cage, supplied with his favorite stuffed animals, his favorite chew leather bones, his favorite cushions and bed. At first I felt terrible about his needing to be "caged" when the family went to work or when a visitor was unsuited to his doggie friendliness was there. But, actually, he seemed to love the comfort and security of his little place. As the family was about to leave or a non-doggie guest was about to enter, Kathy, David or Megan would say, "Joe...cage!" and the dear sweet fellow would head to his cage, open the door with his nose and enter and wait to the latch to be clicked.

Amber left us earlier in the year from a heart related ailment and age, and Joe left us a few weeks ago after a sudden stroke...in the middle of one of his favorite delights, chasing a squirrel across the back garden! The squirrels were "on to him" and would lead him a merry chase and then run up a tree to chatter with delight!

To all those who care for pets, animals, doggies, etc., who show their joy by painting them and drawing them, who rescue them, who breed them with good standards...
I salute you! :thumbsup: And I remember Amber and Joe! :heart:

K Taylor-Green
12-10-2009, 01:55 PM
Elsie, those are wonderful stories! While it sounds harsh for racing dog owners to get rid of retired dogs, they are really doing it out of caring.
What would a retired dog's life be like if it were kept by the owners and lived out their lives in a kennel with little attention. There are only so many hours in a day and training those racers is a daily thing. It doesn't leave much time to give the retired ones the time they need. By adopting them out, they get the chance to live like Amber and Joe, full rich lives with loving owners.

Robert, you have quite the critter family as well! I can't imagine life without them. It would feel much emptier I expect. And I love the name Ayla!

Dania, it's been a while! It's nice to see you!

robertsloan2
12-12-2009, 01:34 AM
Elsie, those two must have been such wonderful companions. I've always thought greyhounds were so beautiful.

They're sight hounds though. Kitten was concerned about having a sight hound in the same house with the cats because you can't train them out of the hunting instinct and if they catch the cat -- it would only take once and my Ari could be dead. So she went for other breeds.

Still, I think they are so gorgeous and I'm impressed with the way you trained them. I'm one of the people who gets nervous around large dogs, mostly because I got chased and attacked by them repeatedly as a kid.

That is so cool that Joe would be that good about going in his cage. Some animals like that. Ari used to think of his carrier as a special refuge. I left the door open when he was a kitten and he treated it as his day-bed. Then he got used to the carrier usually meaning "Oh, we're going to move and get a new home. Cool. Dad will get me treats."

He's always been the perfect traveling cat, it amazes me how calm he is on trips -- and I think a lot of it was letting him use the carirer whenever he wanted, not just reserving it for vet trips.

PeggyB
12-17-2009, 01:10 AM
OHHH! I'm so excited - I learned today that one of those little puppy girls will be mine! My three page questionaire past muster with the breeder, and it probably didn't hurt that we'd gone to meet her in person and my references included some nationally known golden people as well as my vetenarian. I'm going back there on Monday the 21st to take pictures. They will be one day shy of 3 weeks old so still small, but starting to get darn cute. Now I need to come up with a December themed name to register with AKC....

Peggy

Deborah Secor
12-17-2009, 12:32 PM
Aw, neat, Peggy... I've painted a couple of your animals in the past and they're always quality critters, IMHO.

I just wanted to announce to my pastel friends that I have an article out now that's dear to my heart, but not about my pastels. It's devoted to my little gouache ATC sized paintings! I wrote a short piece for the February issue of Watercolor Artist Magazine's Creativity Workshop column subtitled, "Find out how you can make a grand statement on a small scale." I'm just delighted to have a few of my little pieces showing there, so if anyone happens to have a copy about be sure to let me know how it looks. I haven't received a copy yet! :wave:

Deborah

Colorix
12-17-2009, 05:36 PM
Congrats, Peggy!

Gee, I can't join this zoo, I only have the occasional spider wintering between the glass in a window...

OK, can't contain it, I've sold "Hello Lamppost"! *After* the Salon. New customer, but a person I used to know 30 (!) years ago.

Only other thing going on here is having 12" of snow dumped on us. No busses, no trains, cars in ditches. Suprise, it got winter this year too...

:-D

Charlie

Deborah Secor
12-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Totally cool, Charlie!! :thumbsup: Honors are nice, but sales are best.

Deborah

K Taylor-Green
12-17-2009, 09:01 PM
OHHH! I'm so excited - I learned today that one of those little puppy girls will be mine! My three page questionaire past muster with the breeder, and it probably didn't hurt that we'd gone to meet her in person and my references included some nationally known golden people as well as my vetenarian. I'm going back there on Monday the 21st to take pictures. They will be one day shy of 3 weeks old so still small, but starting to get darn cute. Now I need to come up with a December themed name to register with AKC....

Peggy

Congratulations, new puppy mama! I can't wait to see your new baby! I love playing with AKC names. Will the kennel name be included?
I will be raising a new pup as well, a boy this time! Sire is my stud, HR StarQuest Fredonia's Harry JH. Mom is either my own bitch, Soleil, who is due the end of January, or a client's female we are doing an Artificial Insemination on in the morning. I want male pick of the litter instead of my usual stud fee.
Either way, Spring will see me house breaking a pup! Oh the mud and a new puppy!

Deborah, that sounds wonderful! Congratulations!

And to you as well, Charlie! Great job on the sale!

saramathewson
12-19-2009, 12:59 AM
It has been busy around here. congratulations to those getting new pups or who have sold paintings or had articles published etc. I am still in the process of movning to the new studio/bedroom. Tomorrow the bed gets moved so I will be living there but so much work to be done sorting and organizing in the studio and cleaning in the RV as we have guests coming on the 29th for two days then Kasie moves into the RV. She is doing much better, no more nausea and vomiting. I think she got off pretty lightly considering I was sick so much during the first two pregnancies. But, I am thankful that she feels much better. She is happy and looks so much better than she was looking there for awhile. We are excited to be new Grandparents. The circumstances aren't the great and I would still love it if she and her boyfriend broke up as I think he makes her life so much more complicated and stressful. But, who knows what will happen. They are both very stubborn and don't want to admit that it won't work out. I put it in God's hands. I am still sick but much better. Although I am having more symptoms coming up of the chronic stuff and possibly another chronic condition. I'm hoping not, but if it is I can deal with it. I already have the symptoms so to put a name to it doesn't really change things for me. The symptoms are very MS like. We shall see. I have been tested in the past and they came back negative for it but at the time the neurologist told me to watch for new symptoms. So, I have been having some new ones off and on for some time and some newer ones that have just gotten worse and more frequent. nothing debilitating, but some are very frustrating and painful. Since I was in the hospital I tend to spend the majority of the day in bed. I have started to get up from my "nap" a little bit earlier in the afternoon than I have been so hopefully I will continue to get better with the fatigue. I just want to get the studio set up so I can get back to painting. It is frustrating to not be able to just paint but I'm sure it won't happen until after Christmas. Way too much to do before then. Most of it Chris will have to do, but I want to help wherever I can.

I enjoy the company of my little Chinese Crested Powderpuff dog Callie. I bought her from a breeder that later I found out was a puppy mill. We knew from the beginning that something wasn't right with Callie and are pretty sure she has some brain damage and has had a few seizures. But, she is such a wonderful companion for me. She is a one person dog though. Chris and her get along ok, but he has had to be very patient with her as she is very nervous. She loves me to death and when I come into the RV she just goes in circles. That is what she does when she is excited or just about anytime she goes in circles to the right. She sleeps with me on the bed or she sleeps on her special blanket on the couch. I think it depends on how much I move at night. My limps move periodically and I have bonked her unknowingly in my sleep. Plus, I have to get up several times during the night and I think it starts t annoy her so she retreats to her blanket on the couch. But during the day she sleeps with me during my long naps. She curls up right nest to me either behind my legs or next to my tummy. She is so sweet and has made life so much more bearable for me. I hope she lives to be a ripe old age. We are true companions to one another.

Sara

K Taylor-Green
12-19-2009, 02:00 AM
It has been busy around here. congratulations to those getting new pups or who have sold paintings or had articles published etc. I am still in the process of movning to the new studio/bedroom. Tomorrow the bed gets moved so I will be living there but so much work to be done sorting and organizing in the studio and cleaning in the RV as we have guests coming on the 29th for two days then Kasie moves into the RV. She is doing much better, no more nausea and vomiting. I think she got off pretty lightly considering I was sick so much during the first two pregnancies. But, I am thankful that she feels much better. She is happy and looks so much better than she was looking there for awhile. We are excited to be new Grandparents. The circumstances aren't the great and I would still love it if she and her boyfriend broke up as I think he makes her life so much more complicated and stressful. But, who knows what will happen. They are both very stubborn and don't want to admit that it won't work out. I put it in God's hands. I am still sick but much better. Although I am having more symptoms coming up of the chronic stuff and possibly another chronic condition. I'm hoping not, but if it is I can deal with it. I already have the symptoms so to put a name to it doesn't really change things for me. The symptoms are very MS like. We shall see. I have been tested in the past and they came back negative for it but at the time the neurologist told me to watch for new symptoms. So, I have been having some new ones off and on for some time and some newer ones that have just gotten worse and more frequent. nothing debilitating, but some are very frustrating and painful. Since I was in the hospital I tend to spend the majority of the day in bed. I have started to get up from my "nap" a little bit earlier in the afternoon than I have been so hopefully I will continue to get better with the fatigue. I just want to get the studio set up so I can get back to painting. It is frustrating to not be able to just paint but I'm sure it won't happen until after Christmas. Way too much to do before then. Most of it Chris will have to do, but I want to help wherever I can.

I enjoy the company of my little Chinese Crested Powderpuff dog Callie. I bought her from a breeder that later I found out was a puppy mill. We knew from the beginning that something wasn't right with Callie and are pretty sure she has some brain damage and has had a few seizures. But, she is such a wonderful companion for me. She is a one person dog though. Chris and her get along ok, but he has had to be very patient with her as she is very nervous. She loves me to death and when I come into the RV she just goes in circles. That is what she does when she is excited or just about anytime she goes in circles to the right. She sleeps with me on the bed or she sleeps on her special blanket on the couch. I think it depends on how much I move at night. My limps move periodically and I have bonked her unknowingly in my sleep. Plus, I have to get up several times during the night and I think it starts t annoy her so she retreats to her blanket on the couch. But during the day she sleeps with me during my long naps. She curls up right nest to me either behind my legs or next to my tummy. She is so sweet and has made life so much more bearable for me. I hope she lives to be a ripe old age. We are true companions to one another.

Sara

Sara, I never know what to say when someone has ongoing health issues. I am very sympathetic to your plight and would not wish something similar on someone I don't care for! I just want things to be as good for you as they possibly can be.
Glad to hear about Kasie. That has to help in being one less thing to worry about.

Now, onto one of my pet peeves. When are idiots going to quit breeding these sickly pups just for the sake of money? When is the general public going to wake up to the plight of these animals and quit supporting puppy mills? You see the cute little puppy and want it, not thinking that by buying it, you contribute to these people's finances and it never ends. Designer breeds are just mutts! Cute as they are, if people would quit buying them it would have to add to the solution instead of the problem. While legislation is trying to be passed to close puppy mills, it is those of us who do it right who will be penalized and left to deal with the extra fees and regulations.
I pay a great deal to have certain genetic testing done to my breeding dogs. My dogs sleep in a clean, safe environment and all have vet care. Some of them sleep in my house and my bed! These puppy mill pups are unhealthy, have lasting health issues, and some of them stand on the decomposing bodies of some who have gone before.
Those who breed correctly and take good care of their loving companions will pay the price of this animal rights legislature.
OK, Off my soapbox now!

Shirl Parker
12-19-2009, 11:09 AM
Katherine, this is what I didn't mention when I propagandized in favor of rescue dogs.

Studio-1-F
12-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Thread hijack warning!! It started snowing here last night and it's still coming down. Yikes! You know what that means, USA! Beware massive Federal Government shut-down looming first thing Monday. See below composite from my windah. Note depth of snow on almost-buried parked car across street. Yikes, yikes, yikes.:eek:

Jan (not used to this odd white fluffy stuff! coming from sky? huh?)

++++++++++++++++++++++
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2009/12504-snow.jpg

Shirl Parker
12-19-2009, 01:16 PM
I was just talking to my brother about this snow coming yesterday. He lives in Middletown, west of Frederick. I used to live in Columbia.

PeggyB
12-19-2009, 02:26 PM
Two of my pet peeves were just mentioned: puppy mills and snow! I detest both with a passion. the only good thing I can say about snow is it makes lovely photographs when taken by someone else and not from my area! lol There's absolutely nothing positive I can say about puppy mills. I went to a great deal of time, and had wonderful, knowledgable assistance researching the health and longetivity of my puppy to be. Kate sounds like the type of breeder I'd be working with if I lived in Ohio and wanted a lab.

I bought a new small digital camera the other day as mine "died", and my husbands is going soon. I wanted to be absolutely certain I could get good pictures of the puppies when I go to see them on Monday. I'll be bringing a bag of homemade doggie cookies with me - the breeder said "Super! My dogs love treats as much as I do." hmmm - think I'll take some people treats too. Needless to say, I'll be posting puppy pictures Tuesday - if I can figure out once again how to do it...

Peggy

Studio-1-F
12-19-2009, 03:16 PM
I was just talking to my brother about this snow coming yesterday. He lives in Middletown, west of Frederick. I used to live in Columbia.
Here's hoping that the end of the world hasn't arrived: 2 pm and still snowing. The Apocalypse!

BTW, what on earth are these objects?!! :confused:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2009/12504-sickles.jpg

Shirl Parker
12-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Interesting to see if it's worse than the Feb 1996 blizzard, when the Fed was closed 4 days (2/2) and with 1 days leave I had 11 days off.

saramathewson
12-19-2009, 03:30 PM
I should note that this puppy mill where Callie came from hs been shut down and the owners have been prosecuted as far as I know. It was really sad hearing of the plight of all those poor dogs! I know I should have done better research. I thought things were fine because they had a great website and at first it was easy to contact the owner etc. But there were red flags and I should have looked into it more carefully. I too detest puppy mills and had I known would never have bought her from there. But, now knowing I feel like I saved her from a terrible life. However, I would never buy a dog that way again. I would do my research or go to a shelter.

Thanks Katherine for the comment about my health. I'm ok with it all really. I have been dealing with this stuff for what seems like forever. My ex divorced me because of the fibro, and he is a doctor! He is also a class 1 jerk. I am better off without him and the stress of living with him. He is also an alcoholic. When I was first diagnosed with FMS it really threw me. I was married in a bad marriage and had always felt that if I had to leave I could at least work in a Nursing home to support my family. All of a sudden that option was gone and I felt "stuck" Well, 7 years later the decision was made for me. He decided he wanted a divorce and as difficult as it was at the time, for me and the kids it was the best thing for me. Maybe not so much for the kids. They had no idea things were that bad as we hid it from them. We never argues, instead silence was used when he was angry at me. He did yell at me but usually only when I was at my sickest. Lots of verbal and emotional abuse. I feel bad for my kids having to still deal with him often. Anyway, Chris and I have been together for almost 8 years now and he has been very good to me. I was in better shape when we first got together, but have slowly gone downhill since. I think all the moving and the traveling we have done contributed to it but what can ya do. We are here in this place now for awhile. hopefully for many years. I am still walking so that is good. I have good days and bad days. We moved from MN to AZ a few years ago because of the weather and how it affected my health. Unfortunately no where is perfect. I am actually heat intolerant as well so most of the summer is spent inside in AC. But, we still love the desert and I am grateful for many things. I do feel blessed in many ways and painting is one of the things that really feeds my soul. I will probably never be able to be a full time painter as much as that is my dream. I just can't do anything full time anymore. But, I do hope to be able to paint as much as possible and to some day be able to take some workshops from my favorite pastelists. If not, I will get DVD's to help me learn more. It is a blessing that we have access to these! I hope when I talk about my health I am not coming across as complaining. I am more relating to you guys what is going on with me at this given time. I don't ever want to be seen as a complainer. I know that there must be some lessons that I have to learn in this life and that may be the reason I have been sick for most of it. I have learned great empathy as have my children. My girls especially. Unfortunately my son and I have a strained relationship. I do hope someday we will be able to mend that. I just found out yesterday that he took the test to get into the military and he got a good enough grade to be a medic so I hope he does that. He was going to do munitions and that scares the beejeebees out of me! I just really hope and pray he decides to do the medic thing. I didn't want him to join the army and he didn't tell me this time he was going to. a few months back he told me and then decide not to. So it was a surprise to me to see that he was taking the test and I saw it on facebook. Not the greatest way to learn about something like this! So, I am praying for him and hope that when he does do this he will stay safe. If any of you are into praying I would appreciate them for my son. Thanks!

Sara

K Taylor-Green
12-20-2009, 12:04 PM
Sara, I hope I didn't make you feel bad about buying your little dog. That was not my intention. You didn't know it was a puppy mill. Some of them are not as extreme as the ones I was referring too and it isn't as obvious.
Callie is lucky to have you.
Sometimes my keyboard runs away with my good sense when it is a subject that gets me stirred up!

PeggyB
12-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Sara, I don't read your messages as complaining at all. There are diseases in this world of which many of us don't have a full understanding - we are the fortunate ones, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't learn more about what it is like to not be fortunate in that regard. I appreciate you feeling comfortable enough with your WC "family" to share this very personal information. I think you are strong woman for dealing with these trials in a postive manner, and then sharing with us those things that have helped make you, "you"! :) It makes me more patient with the physical limitations that have come my way with age, and I can only hope to be as strong as you are as the arthritis progresses in my body. I'm glad you were able to rescue Callie, and that she shows her love for you in many ways. I know I always relax more when I'm not well if I have one of my "nurse" cats sleeping beside me, and my faithful dog asleep on the floor beside the bed (Libby didn't like sleeping on the bed - I think she got too hot.) It will be interesting to find out if the new puppy is the same or more like my husband's golden, Sonny. Sonny takes every opportunity to sleep beside my husband - healthy or sick! However, at 90+ pounds he's much too large to be allowed to stay there if I want to sleep! Although I sometimes think the look he gives me when I ask him to get off my side of the bed is one of "Hey! I was here first go find another place to sleep!" :lol:

Studio-1-F
12-20-2009, 02:52 PM
Interesting to see if it's worse than the Feb 1996 blizzard, when the Fed was closed 4 days (2/2) and with 1 days leave I had 11 days off.
Remember that one like it was yesterday! Folks cross-country skiing and snow-shoeing down the middle of not-plowed Wisconsin Avenue, heading to work downtown. And me deciding at one point that I absolutely could not do without some essential grocery item, like fresh-cut flowers or balsamic vinegar or some such and so I decided to walk down to the store at the corner. 'Walk'? Ha! It was Edmund-Hillary-esque.

That storm dropped (I believe) about four feet. Yesterday's was about two feet. Today: blue sky and sunshine and a lot of drips coming off the roof. I am hoping for a high of 60 degrees today so tomorrow it'll all be gone. [fingers crossed]

Jan

Deborah Secor
12-21-2009, 07:54 PM
I'm just dropping a PDF file here of the Watercolor Artist magazine article for you all to see! I'm so pleased with it. Hope you enjoy, even though it's gouache ATCs and not pastel. :p

I'd love to know what you think!
Deborah

Mary Y
12-22-2009, 10:03 AM
Excellent article Deborah.Makes me want to try small gouache!
Mary

Deborah Secor
12-22-2009, 02:02 PM
Thanks, Mary. It's a fun medium and acts more like pastel than watercolor (dusty looking, work from dark to light, etc.) so I've found it quite compatible. Give it a shot--it works well under pastel, too!

Deborah

PeggyB
12-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Your article is inspirational Deborah. I love how you make "lemonade from lemons" in your life, and then share it so well with everyone else.

I haven't used gouache in about 20 years, but do remember it is more like using liquid pastels than it is like using watercolors. I also remembered I enjoyed the process - may have to consider doing it again.

Peggy

robertsloan2
12-22-2009, 09:27 PM
Sara, I feel for you. That post doesn't sound like complaining at all -- it's ludicrous the degree people get shamed for getting sick, especially with something like fibro. It gets so misunderstood. I've got fibro too.

I was shuddering at the thought of what you went through. Yeah. Fibro with an alcoholic yelling at you -- recipe for crippling pain right there, I'm amazed you managed anything under the circumstances. You're a lot better off. Glad you moved south -- heat does the same thing to me as cold now but in a lot of ways the cold is worse. AC makes a big difference.

My move to Arkansas was like literally moving away from my arthritis, it turned the clock back months to summer when I arrived in May. I hope Arizona does a lot for your activity and energy levels too. The right climate can do wonders.

Deb, I read your article in Watercolor Artist and loved it! That was a happy surprise for me finding something from you in the watercolor magazine. I love your gouache ATCs, they are so spectacular and they do carry all of the punch of your big pastel paintings.

I've got a set of Pelkan pan gouache that I used mostly for doing medieval illumination on scrolls for a historical society. Would I be better off using tube gouache or could I use that set to try for some of the same effects? I've got some tubes of Winsor & Newton gouache too, but they're very old and I don't know if they're still good, some date back to the 80s. But at least I have several tubes of white in that bag, when it was on sale I overbought white because I knew I'd use it up if I was doing anything big.

Hehehe, with that article it won't surprise me to see a lot of linking back and forth with Watermedia, especially if I do start planning pastel paintings with small gouache paintings. It'll be neat trying it again from this direction rather than by trying to copy medieval miniatures (which I got pretty good at.)

We are getting a new puppy too. She's a Corgi from a reputable breeder and my daughter Kitten, a farrier (horse shoeing blacksmith) wanted a truck dog. Rhiannon is about eight weeks old now or maybe a few days older. They all went up to Memphis today to get her, bringing the kids.

My granddaughter Sascha explained to me that the whole purpose of the trip is for her to pet the puppy. That Mommy wants her to pet the puppy. She is obliged, it is her solemn duty to pet the puppy. My heart melted as you can guess.

Corgis are a breed of dog that seems to be popular for farriers because they get along with horses, get used to traveling around in the truck with the forge and sometimes help keep horses calm. So this one's going to be a working dog and mostly stay with Kitten at work as well as at home. She blew in a couple of days ago with the armload of new-puppy things.

Then I found out that we're getting her by barter, since Karl is going to be tiling a bathroom for the breeder! So that is awesome. Kitten got pick of the litter, partly for doing a good job on the breeder's horses.

We have the house all decorated for the holidays too and everyone's got gifts for the littles.

So this is going to be a great holiday season with our newly expanded family. Rhiannon's pretty, she's got a white muzzle that goes up into becoming a teardrop shape with golden fur around her eyes. She's fat, roly poly and wiggly with little short legs.

Colorix
12-23-2009, 08:37 AM
Deb, great article, as usual.

Sara, it is a reality you have to handle, and you're obviously doing great, and keeping spirits up. I have some chronics too, and know it is difficult to talk about them without feeling like a whiner (who but me is interested in my allergies?). Would you and Rob agree with me that the most important thing is to be treated as the person one is, and not the condition one has? And the condition taken as matter of factly as, say, a broken leg.

I'm looking forward to a very calm and peaceful christmas. My remaining in-laws will be elsewhere, and the whole extent of my own relatives is one person, mother, and she'll be with her 'new' husband (since 30 years) and his chilren and grandchildren. Hubby and I will probably eat nicely, go to a midnight mass, and then take it easy. We've put up 2 of our 3 christmas decorations, and the last one goes up tomorrow. We'll see friends later, which is very nice. Luckily, we both want it this way, and avoid the whole commercial bit entirely. And we won't eat any of the traditional foods. I've always wondered why one should eat rather stomach turning things just because it is christmas... :-)

Charlie

Deborah Secor
12-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks, Peggy. I'm now into lemon pound cake, too! Mmmmmmm...

Deb, I read your article in Watercolor Artist and loved it! That was a happy surprise for me finding something from you in the watercolor magazine. I love your gouache ATCs, they are so spectacular and they do carry all of the punch of your big pastel paintings.

Thanks, Robert.

I've got a set of Pelkan pan gouache that I used mostly for doing medieval illumination on scrolls for a historical society. Would I be better off using tube gouache or could I use that set to try for some of the same effects? I've got some tubes of Winsor & Newton gouache too, but they're very old and I don't know if they're still good, some date back to the 80s. But at least I have several tubes of white in that bag, when it was on sale I overbought white because I knew I'd use it up if I was doing anything big.

Hey, if nothing else take the hardened glob of paint out of the tubes (I cut it open with a mat knife) and use it just like you would a pan! They should re-wet. I have some pans but I love the juiciness of fresh paint, too.

Hehehe, with that article it won't surprise me to see a lot of linking back and forth with Watermedia, especially if I do start planning pastel paintings with small gouache paintings. It'll be neat trying it again from this direction rather than by trying to copy medieval miniatures (which I got pretty good at.)

Sounds like a plan to me! And the puppy sounds like a winner, too. :wink2:

Thanks, Charlie.

We're having a low-key Christmas. No church because hubby is working. He's at the Rescue Mission now. Happily he has Christmas day off, so we'll have a nice day together. This year a friend from church who's a single dad with a 3 and 5 year old (girl and boy) is coming over for Christmas dinner. We're going to have roast beef--so easy--and a birthday party for Jesus with cake and ice cream, and balloons and noisemakers, for dessert! Everyone should sing the birthday song on Christmas. I'm really looking forward to it. I haven't had little ones around in a few years now. (And my best friend, who is 26, is pregnant, too!!!)

:wave:
Deborah

robertsloan2
12-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Aww Deborah, that sounds so neat!

I've just had the merriest Christmas Eve and Christmas Morning of my entire life to date, including all the wonderful holidays spent with Kitten in previous years. It's been incredible.

Last night all three grownups sat up wrapping packages and they gave me my present early - a lovely decanter of Captain Morgan's Private Stock spiced rum, which I shared with my daughter and son in law in wonderful cinnamon and nutmeg spiced eggnog homemade by Karl. We giggled and told stories and cut and taped paper and I made cranes out of scraps of wrapping paper.

In the morning, very early in the morning, Sascha burst into my room to show me. "Santa made us birds! They're special, they're Christmas birds!"

I'd done one with the red envelope of the card Kitten gave me, so I held it up and said "He gave me one too!"

Then we all went downstairs for presents and spent the morning watching two small children, a three year old boy and five year old girl, get utterly dazzled and fascinated with every gift. They each got what they most hoped for. Sascha got Optimus Prime, who's been electronically announcing his identity a good hundred times already to everyone's amusement. Rhiannon the Puppy got let out of her playpen for several play sessions.

I finally got going on the final version of Kitten's present, the portrait of Miss Gemini, and finished it -- the sun was shining this morning. We had a little snow, enough that it lasted about twenty minutes till the morning snow melted it away. But technically we had a White Christmas!

Kitten made Crepes Unique, using pomegranate liqueur instead of Grand Marnier to give it an interesting and delightful fruity flavor, plus slices of last night's Christmas ham. Tonight we have both ham and turkey, several pies, a mouthwatering assortment of side dishes and very happy children and animals.

Ari snuggled in my lap during the painting and I worked around him, helps to work small for that. Gemini came down and hung out in the sunlight so I wasn't just guessing from the photo on how her fur looks in the sun. We talked and shared everything.

I was amazed and happy and proud of the children. They didn't squabble once. Santa had already been here but there was none of the fussing and fighting I normally associate with overstimulated kids. Just "Choo choo!" and "Jingle bells" with its own tune and sharing -- Sascha shared the candy from her stocking with everyone and kept coming around giving me a few more pieces. She had to get a thorough explanation in order not to sneak pieces of it to new puppy, warned that chocolate is poison to dogs.

Gabriel got a train set. Sascha got a doll house. Santa left them puzzles. Mom & Dad got them, respectively, Optimus Prime and a big fancy plastic tool set with some things in it Dad doesn't have. Much much fun was had by all.

Most of all it was quiet and happy without any stress on anyone. Some calls to in-laws and out of town relatives and friends, kids merrily playing, grandpa merrily scratching away with pastel pencils and everyone smiling and being extra nice and extra affectionate even for our normally warm and congenial household.

I can't help the bragging, it's just so wonderful around here.

Little Rhiannon even behaved herself perfectly, not making any puppy messes and not whining much, more barking occasionally and much licking of noses and waggling her entire butt along with the stub of her tiny tail. She's absolutely sweet, outgoing and lovable and loving. One of the high points was the puppy-and-children roundabout racing through living room, kitchen and dining room which had no accidents but just fast-moving younglings having enormous fun with more energy than I can imagine having.

It was great and I felt like sharing it with everyone. Sometimes life hands us holidays that are better than all the stories ever written.

Oh, here's a picture of our new puppy Rhiannon aka "Annie" in Kitten's arms.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Dec-2009/70184-Annie-1.jpg

Annie is an eight week old Corgi. Her mom's a farrier's dog. Her official job when she grows up is to be the Truck Dog, go along with Kitten on horse calls. When a horse is out in a field, Annie will chase her in for Kitten. Otherwise just be company on long out of town trips and drives out to farms. She'll be out a lot as she grows up but while she's at home she's adorable.

CM Neidhofer
12-25-2009, 08:27 PM
It truly has been a wonderful holiday, in spite of life's glitches being tossed at us. I'm going to be a GRANDMA for the first time!!! My oldest son Karl and wife Stephanie, in Florida, are expecting. She's had some issues in the past, but they've found out what's wrong and this time we all hope she will carry to full term. So far three months and a strong heart beat!! The longest yet, so we're very optimistic. They will find out, probably in February, whether we're having a boy or girl. Very exciting news!!!

robertsloan2
12-26-2009, 01:25 AM
Congratulations! Grandparents get it all -- it's the best! That's so great that she's gotten help with her issues -- and ultrasounds are a lot of fun too. Kitten saved them from both of my grandkids.

Dot Hoffman
12-26-2009, 12:59 PM
I love the birthday cake for Jesus -- when my children (now all in their 50's) were small, we did that every Christmas.

Our Christmas was quiet.....just the two of us, although we had several "drop in" invitations. My sister called from snowbound Minneapolis in the morning....their celebration was postponed until the streets are plowed and the ice is gone. Then my grandson and granddaughter called from NC, and we talked a long time. Our neighbor dropped by with cookies which was so unexpected because her husband is so ill. I called my 95 year old mom in Minnesota, and she was a bit disappointed that she couldn't go to my sis' because of all the snow and ice, but had a nice dinner at her assisted living facility. I think this is the first time in her life that she hasn't been with family for Christmas. So, while we didn't go out, we still felt surrounded by family and friends.

Christmas Eve service was wonderful....filled with the traditional carols.

We want to wish everyone a blessed Christmas and hope you have a healthy and joyous new year.

K Taylor-Green
12-26-2009, 02:30 PM
Chris, congratulations!! That's wonderful news! And if you need any advice on being a Granny, just let me know! I have a bunch of them, from age 12 down to almost 4 months! :lol: :lol:

After all the Christmas excitement, I am looking forward to a quiet, simple meal of pasta tonight with Jess and the dogs.
Hopefully, life can get back to normal, with whelping puppies the most stress I have for awhile!

CM Neidhofer
12-26-2009, 09:16 PM
Thanks, Kate! I'll take you up on that!

pastellady
12-27-2009, 01:37 PM
HOPE EVERYONE HAD A WONDERFUL AND WONDROUS CHRISTMAS! WISHING YOU ALL THE BEST A NEW YEAR.
We have been blessed this year. We adopted a little puppy mill rescue who we named, Buddy. He and I write a blog about our adventures together and his progress into a family home. He was five when we got him and had spent the first five years in a 2'x4' cage being bred and neglected. He and I are planning on going to the Augusta Mo. Plein Aire Event,that I go to every year, together this year. He has made a great plein aire companion. I can not imagine life without him. He still has issues but we work on them everyday.
Happy Holidays,
Jennylynne

K Taylor-Green
12-29-2009, 04:42 PM
Jenny, you are a doll! Buddy is very lucky to have found you. :heart:

robertsloan2
12-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Jenny, that sounds so great. Buddy sounds wonderful, I bet he can't get enough attention and appreciation from people. Sometimes an animal comes from a rough background but settles into life with a boundless joy in everyday things.

Ayla came from a shelter and spent several months there as a puppy. She's sweet, goodnatured, lovable... and she will finish her breakfast or dinner in about three mouthfuls, going at it like a vacuum cleaner so as to get her meals before other dogs take it from her. Even though Zoe is polite enough never to go for her dish, Ayla still eats fast like that. It's the only relict behavior from her time in the shelter, reminding me that we have made such a big difference in her life.

She's always so grateful for everything too, any attention, any food, even a kind word. But now she's a big girl because there's a younger new puppy, "Annie" the corgi. She looks like a beagle in my portrait, everyone keeps saying beagle but she's really a Corgi. When she's older her ears will stand up and then people can see that she's not a beagle. lol

It would be great if you could sketch Buddy plein air sometime, just a few gestural strokes to show Buddy racing around the scene or sitting beside the easel. That'd be fun.

My cat is definitely an indoor cat, a home-owning House Cat, thank you. He dislikes weather so I doubt he will ever go plein air painting with me.

Bill Foehringer
12-31-2009, 12:11 PM
Sorry I haven't contributed much here this year. It's been a tough one. Hope you all have a nice New Year's weekend. Let's all try to be as productive as we can in the coming year. I wish you all as much peace, including the kind of peace found in rewarding activity, as you can conjure up in the coming year. BillF

Bill Foehringer
12-31-2009, 12:37 PM
Sara and Robert!!!! Be strong! Life is what it is. If people can't handle the truth you are better off without them. My wife has both fibro and RA. She is a cancer survivor and has degenerative disc disease in her lower back. Various stressors are bad for diseases like RA and Fibro. BTW Fibro is a disease don't let anyone tell you different. 'Normals', those people who have been fortunate not to have experienced physical infirmity up close and personal, don't like to hear anything that disturbs their happy little worlds. Don't worry about sounding like whiners. I have a real problem with the insentitive oafs who go on about all the stuff they can do because they are healthy without a thought that maybe my wife and I, who used to be an active couple, might feel a little sad to hear about what we are missing. We do understand that there are some things in life that one must experience to understand, so we, in turn really do not mind the blissful ignorance of normals. On the other hand we are living this life and do not want to be defined by it either. This is our normal. As things change we do the best we can to adjust to the new normal. Admitting to certain limitations is not whining and is far better than living in denial as we did for some time. Live your lives on your own terms and don't bother about what people think!
BillF

pastellady
12-31-2009, 08:23 PM
Robert, Buddy is quite a little miracle. He just had surgery to get something out of his foot which kept abcessing since we got him. We also had his teeth cleaned and four removed that were rotten-he is a totally different guy. We think he must have been in pain a lot from the mouth issues. He is not food motivated at all but since his surgery is doing much better with taking food treats from us. He is extremely shy around people but we leave his crate open so he can go "hide" when he feels he needs too. He is totally housebroken, which everyone thinks is amazing(I however, just chalk it up to his superior intelligence!).
He has invented his own games and doesn't really know what to do with doggy toys. His favorite game is running around bringing me my husband's laundry that he(my husband) leaves on the floor. Buddy will bring shirts, jeans, shoes, etc. He never chews on them just brings them to me. He still struggles with spatial issues-he is not aware of where he is in relationship to glass, our other dog(who he runs over all the time-Miko is very patient though and loves Buddy), the edge of things. He is also a little hard of hearing because of extreme calcification that developed in his years in the puppy mill. He and I are learning sign language-at least a form of it that works for him.
I will try and post a pic of him, but I have trouble uploading photos to wet canvas so if you want , you can check out my blog at www.jennylynnegragg.blogspot.com. He is a beautiful little guy and would make a great painting.
Take care,
Jennylynne