GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Sarawak Waterfall
Year Created: 2000
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 280x340 cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
As you can see I am a beginner. This painting was inspired by a walk through a tropical rain forest. I have attempted to produce the illusion of depth by "blurring" the forground. Is there a better way to add depth to this painting?

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
WHat are the best brush strokes to "feather" or "blurr" an image?

jerryW
09-11-2002, 05:18 AM
a very strong entry
the weakest link in this abstract landscape may be the yellowish or light green between verticals above. that green would do better to match hue with the other upper greens.
the shapes and colors are very exciting the way you have painted them!
if you are interested in blending or feathering, please do it on a different image - this one deserves efforts that enhance its powerful abstract qualities more than the duplication of memory or photo.

Wayne Gaudon
09-11-2002, 07:20 AM
I agree with Gerry but I would also tone down the distant water so it's not the same value as the front water .. mute it with some blues and purples and let it blend in more with the background.
Nice job of keeping your values similar in the rockshapes .. great patchwork.

Redsy333
09-11-2002, 07:44 AM
Wow! For a beginner you certainly have Flare! I LOVE those rocks!!! Very Impressive indeed! As far as changing, Id have to agree that maybe alil more of the dark blues and reds could be added to water. I can see where you hinted at them, and I liked that alot. I wouldnt change too much though, you have a great thing going just as it is!

sandgroper
09-12-2002, 08:31 PM
Thank you all for the responses. Your points have been noted and are being considered with a veiw to improving the painting. This process has been so helpful I think I'll post some more "gees, I dunno what to do with this!!"

Have a great day and keep achieving.